• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If there is even a 1 second cutscene in Mario Odyssey, videogames are over and there will be no community for any of us.
I hope Mario finds love outside the mushroom kingdom and kisses a lady in New Donk City.

What I don't understand are the platforms in brackets - a *lot* of games only have [PS4] and [XB1] in front of them, even though they are on PC as well. Why is that?
Could be miscategorization because for the awards it doesn't matter if it's on PC as well as PS4, XB1, PSV, 3DS etc. As soon as it has more than one tag, it's disqualified from the platform awards and counts as multiplatform.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I honestly didn't think it'd place higher than fucking Overwatch, but here we are. Totally deserved.

I'm not surprised at all, GAF has always seemed to prefer single player-focused games. BF1 is an unbelievably good multiplayer shooter and it barely made the top 20.

Oh wow just seen the thread.

Great to see UC4 take first place, it's a masterpiece and ND should be proud of their work!

Also nice to see TLG place so highly.

muetimueti

Neo Member
Could be miscategorization because for the awards it doesn't matter if it's on PC as well as PS4, XB1, PSV, 3DS etc. As soon as it has more than one tag, it's disqualified from the platform awards and counts as multiplatform.

Ah, in that case it makes sense - thank you!

AniHawk

This years GOTY is going to be interesting with the protest votes going against Zelda for its disgusting inclusion of english voice over and emotion filled cutscenes, a new low for the series, and Persona 5 continuing its traditionally abominable inclusion of entire chunks of contemptible anime.

If there is even a 1 second cutscene in Mario Odyssey, videogames are over and there will be no community for any of us.

i think i saw a cutscene in the mario odyssey trailer where he was on a spaceship, but it could have been a qte.

zsynqx

PEfZPeKh.jpg

lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
i think i saw a cutscene in the mario odyssey trailer where he was on a spaceship, but it could have been a qte.

Already seen a cutscene of Bowser in a Speedwagon pimp costume so I knew videogames were over then and there. I guess we should just try and enjoy all the titles of 2017 as much as possible before the cold oblivion of nothing that will be 2018 once all videogame communities are shut down.

_Legacy_

I'm surprised UC4 made number one but there is a huge Sony fan base here. Overwatch or Inside would have been my pick but hey ho, the people have spoken.

Thanks for all the work put into the results, great breakdowns in there.

Santiako

Nice to see Hitman on the list, and I probably had a part to play with RE4 winning top horror game. Top 3 I expected really looking at how often those 3 would come up, not surprised with UC4 winning though, ND movie love is too much.

My affinity:

Murkas
1. Santiako (84) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228682550&postcount=2052
2. thefil (79) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227457924&postcount=1221
3. GonzoCR (77) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228800458&postcount=2241
3. Nielm (77) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227140249&postcount=252
5. Admiral Woofington (74) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227920540&postcount=1640
6. Arion (73) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227206152&postcount=651
7. TheBigG753 (72) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228191319&postcount=1829
7. Zesh (72) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227171605&postcount=533
9. JayEH (69) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227326222&postcount=980
10. ecierif (68) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227966229&postcount=1681

Recommendations:

Murkas
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227133525&postcount=112
1. [XB1][PS4] Doom (FPS) = 14 points Own it, played it, got bored, kinda reminded me of Bulletstorm with how it was received and how disappointing it ended up for me
2. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witness (Puzzle) = 12 points Been meaning to get this, on sale now on PSN too, might bite.
3. [XB1][PS4] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (RPG) = 12 points Completed and liked the first one but probably won't play this one.
4. [PS4] The Last Guardian (Adventure) = 11 points Interested in this because I realled liked SOTC, will wait for it to get cheaper.
5. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (RPG) = 10 No, I hate TW3 and everything to do with it.

We're affinity bros! I'd definitely recommend you get to The Witness, game is superb.

letaros

Loved the detail of the poll.

What a fantastic gaming year.

Sequels of Uncharted / Doom / ICO / Tomb Raider / Dark Souls / Hitman / Dishonored / BF / Deus Ex. A 20-30 hours DLC of Witcher 3.

A puzzle masterpiece (Witness), a new adictive FPS (Overwatch), an atmospheric achievment (Inside), Forza Horizon 3 and GOW for PC.

on bold what i bought and played

i am soon buying Doom and maybe FH3.

GG Uncharted for that #1 take. All games mentioned anywhere in OP and the follow up are well-deserving of their credit -- it was a damn good year of games.

Well done, GAF!

My Affinity-GAF! High fives! Hugs are permitted, too!
Kisses, maybe?

(EDIT because I think the stat gathering deserves recognition) Recommends:

1. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witness (Puzzle) = 5 points
2. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (RPG) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates (Strategy) = 3 points
4. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank (Platform) = 3 points
5. [XB1][PC] Quantum Break (Shooter) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [XB1][PS4][PC] Oxenfree (Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
7. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dishonored 2 (Adventure) = 2 points
8. [XB1][PS4] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (RPG) = 2 points
9. [XB1][PS4] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = 2 points
10. [PS4] Thumper (Rhythm) = 2 points

Funny enough, played ALL of those recommends except Oxenfree. ;) Liked 'em all, too.

Man, can't believe UC4 won. Maybe this is the wrong community for me after all :/

The community isn't an island. UC4 won the most critic awards as well and was the highest rated game on MC.

It was near the end of my top ten but it's not hard to see why it won.

The UC4 is a movie comments don't do the posters any favor either. The game has its problems for me but the combat is some of the best and most dynamic around.

Gaenor

Banned
None of the top 4 were on my list (though I haven't played Overwatch yet) and only 2 of top 10 were (The Last Guardian and The Witness).

I'm not too much inline with GAF's tastes it seems hahah !

Murkas

We're affinity bros! I'd definitely recommend you get to The Witness, game is superb.

Fistbump, realistically I will get The Witness but it may be next time it's on sale as I'm currently playing through Yakuza 0 and still have Darkest dungeon from the sale to start.

Wichu

Where can I see a full list of the Passion award?

All games with at least one 1st place ranking:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (191)
2. Overwatch (188)
3. The Last Guardian (146)
4. Doom (127)
5. The Witness (91)
6. Dark Souls III (85)
7. Final Fantasy XV (77)
8. Hitman (42)
9. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (38)
9. Titanfall 2 (38)
11. Inside (33)
12. Pokemon Sun/Moon (24)
13. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (22)
14. Dishonored 2 (20)
15. Fire Emblem Fates (17)
15. Stardew Valley (17)
17. XCOM 2 (16)
18. Forza Horizon 3 (12)
18. Street Fighter V (12)
20. Ratchet & Clank (11)
20. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (11)
20. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (11)
23. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (10)
23. The House in Fata Morgana (10)
25. Persona 5 (8)
25. Pokemon Go (8)
27. Dragon Quest Builders (7)
27. Furi (7)
27. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (7)
27. VA-11 HALL-A (7)
31. Dragon's Dogma (6)
31. Hyper Light Drifter (6)
31. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (6)
31. World of Warcraft: Legion (6)
35. Civilization VI (5)
35. Let It Die (5)
35. Tom Clancy's The Division (5)
35. Total War: Warhammer (5)
39. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (4)
39. Firewatch (4)
39. Planet Coaster (4)
39. Salt and Sanctuary (4)
39. SteinsGate 0 (4)
39. Tyranny (4)
45. Bound (3)
45. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3)
45. Gears of War 4 (3)
45. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (3)
45. Thumper (3)
45. Watch_Dogs 2 (3)
45. Xanadu Next (3)
52. Alienation (2)
52. American Truck Simulator (2)
52. Batman: Arkham VR (2)
52. Battle Garegga rev.2016 (2)
52. Battlefield 1 (2)
52. Clash Royale (2)
52. Darkest Dungeon (2)
52. Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius (2)
52. Grim Dawn (2)
52. Mirror's Edge Catalyst (2)
52. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (2)
52. Monster Hunter Generations (2)
52. N++ (2)
52. No Man's Sky (2)
52. Oxenfree (2)
52. Rez Infinite (2)
52. Rhythm Heaven Megamix (2)
52. Shadow Warrior 2 (2)
52. Stellaris (2)
52. Stephen's Sausage Roll (2)
52. Superhot (2)
52. The Silver Case (2)
74. Abzu (1)
74. Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book (1)
74. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (1)
74. Battleborn (1)
74. BlazBlue: Central Fiction (1)
74. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (1)
74. Crypt of the Necrodancer (1)
74. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (1)
74. DiRT Rally (1)
74. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (1)
74. Earth Defense Force 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair (1)
74. Enter the Gungeon (1)
74. Far Cry Primal (1)
74. Farming Simulator 17 (1)
74. Final Fantasy XIV Patches 3.2-3.4 (1)
74. Granblue Fantasy (1)
74. Gravity Rush Remastered (1)
74. Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator (1)
74. Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (1)
74. Hyrule Warriors Legends (1)
74. I Am Setsuna (1)
74. Imbroglio (1)
74. IMSCARED (1)
74. Kentucky Route Zero - Act IV (1)
74. Killing Floor 2 (1)
74. King's Quest: The Complete Collection (1)
74. Kirby: Planet Robobot (1)
74. Life Is Strange (1)
74. Masquerada: Songs and Shadows (1)
74. Mother Russia Bleeds (1)
74. Nights of Azure (1)
74. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence - Ascension (1)
74. Obduction (1)
74. OneShot (1)
74. Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition (1)
74. Out of the Park Baseball 17 (1)
74. Overcooked (1)
74. Paper Mario: Color Splash (1)
74. Path of Exile: Ascendancy (1)
74. Picross 3D: Round 2 (1)
74. Picross e7 (1)
74. Pocket Card Jockey (1)
74. Pony Island (1)
74. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (1)
74. Quantum Break (1)
74. Root Double -Before Crime * After Days (1)
74. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (1)
74. Solitairica (1)
74. Sorcery! 4 (1)
74. Star Fox Zero (1)
74. SteamWorld Heist (1)
74. Steep (1)
74. Sunless Sea: Zubmariner (1)
74. Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers (1)
74. The Banner Saga 2 (1)
74. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition (1)
74. The Lab (1)
74. Tom Clancy's The Division: Survival (1)
74. Trackmania Turbo (1)
74. Trillion: God of Destruction (1)
74. Twilight Struggle (1)
74. Umineko (1)
74. Videoball (1)
74. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (1)

This what you were looking for?

EDIT: There are 1490 1st place rankings, and supposedly 1492 ballots. Odd.

And ok, yes, UC4 is far from that. And I overreacted. I'm just disappointed. So many good games this year and the winner is UC4 (insert 10 reasons why I don't think it deserves being a winner, but you prob. don't care or you already know what I'm thinking of roughly).

You know what, I'm really really happy about 2nd place. And I'm still over the moon that after all these years my fav game came back, and with a BANG!

That's why the stats are there though - the consensus on UC4 is pretty low for a GAF GOTY. Basically it seems to have made a lot of lists, but not necessarily everybody gave it #1. And surprise surprise, because 9 million people have at least played it.

It's one of the few flaws of the methodology employed here, which otherwise works amazingly well. Like generally, that's as close to the best list possible as we're going to get, barring a few shuffles.

vermadas

I haven't looked at the data yet, but was SuperHOT VR (incorrectly) not considered a separate game from the flatscreen version?

emrober5

Well deserved, Uncharted 4. Just a great game and a perfect end to Nathan Drake's story.

I'm pleased to see Dishonored 2 up so high. It is probably my number 2.

That's why the stats are there though - the consensus on UC4 is pretty low for a GAF GOTY. Basically it seems to have made a lot of lists, but not necessarily everybody gave it #1. And surprise surprise, because 9 million people have at least played it.

It's one of the few flaws of the methodology employed here, which otherwise works amazingly well. Like generally, that's as close to the best list possible as we're going to get, barring a few shuffles.

It got the most points, the most ballot mentions and the highest number of 1st places lol
Overwatch has been played by 20 million.

It got the most points, the most ballot mentions and the highest number of 1st places lol
Overwatch has been played by 20 million.

I don't mean to say it doesn't deserve it at all. Just saying there's more nuance to it, and it does have a lowish consensus compared to previous years. That means there's a lot of great games, that's all.

Wichu

Hmm... I'm looking at the results, and some things are a bit off. One of my votes doesn't seem to have been counted. My vote is registered in the user stats text file, but it doesn't appear in the spreadsheet or the tally on the first page.

Also, I was under the impression that games were eligible if they were released in your region in 2016? One of my picks wasn't counted, presumably because it was a 2015 game in the US/Japan, but a 2016 game in Europe/Australia.

EDIT: Looks like the data has been updated. Thanks :)

I don't understand how the Xbox One GOTY votes worked at all. Did people just not vote? Otherwise, everything else seems to make sense. Good year of gaming, I've got a lot to catch up on.

I feel like I'm going insane. Did I really not vote? I'm 100% sure I voted for Dark Souls 3 & The Last Guardian.

You did not post in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1327924

Hey where did my Dreamfall vote go? :(

Your vote was counted correctly, but Dreamfall did not meet the 3-point threshold for appearing in the OP.

[XB1][PS4][PC] Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Book 5 (Adventure) = 2 points
5. (2 points * 1 user) Zojirushi
Zojirushi said:
A great conclusion to an underappreciated adventure game series.

I don't understand how the Xbox One GOTY votes worked at all. Did people just not vote? Otherwise, everything else seems to make sense. Good year of gaming, I've got a lot to catch up on.

Microsoft basically broke our longstanding formula for platform-exclusive GOTY tallying by releasing all of its games on PC as well.

10. Microsoft = 691 points, 59 honorable mentions, 9 titles
1. [XB1][PC] Forza Horizon 3 (Racing) = 311 points, 12 honorable mentions
2. [XB1][PC] Gears of War 4 (Shooter) = 193 points, 15 honorable mentions
3. [XB1][PC] Quantum Break (Shooter) = 121 points, 13 honorable mentions
4. [XB1][PC] Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition (Platform) = 25 points, 5 honorable mentions
5. [XB1][PC] ReCore (Adventure) = 18 points, 10 honorable mentions
6. [XB1][PC] Dead Rising 4 (Horror) = 14 points, 3 honorable mentions
7. [XB1][PC] Killer Instinct Season 3 (Fighting) = 5 points
8. [XB1][PC] Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain (Racing) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
9. [XB1][PC] Halo 5: Warzone Firefight (FPS) = 1 point

This is why you see an anemic list for XB1 console-exclusives, with a year-crossing port taking the top points. We do not keep data on whether games are new to a given platform or region, only if they're re-releases/remakes/upgraded ports.

Some people have complained about things like Gravity Rush Remastered not being in the overall list in the OP. As was stated in the voting thread rules, re-releases do not qualify for the overall ranking, only platform and genre lists. This approach was adopted a few years ago when we started to see a glut of such titles on the market.

Top Bottom