• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

I see. Well if you guys do considering changing the way you do things as far as that goes, I'd be in favor of it. I get that rules are rules, but it makes the Xbox One GOTY look pretty silly, especially with "play anywhere".

Great job overall though!

Basically, Microsoft has given up the ghost and almost no third-party is offering any exclusives. You can still look at the rankings for what's available on each system in the data file. The XB1 list should closely match the multiplatform award ranking.

Ekai

So wait....best new IP is games that don't belong to a pre-existing franchise and it excludes Oxenfree? Which would be pretty high up on the list given the vote count for it? Yet it includes other games that didn't get as many votes? Weird to see it excludes Firewatch as well. Yet has other indies in it.

Anyhoo, going through the full list, I can see my votes weren't counted. Despite following the rules. I was even pm'd that I needed to change my post's honorable mentions numbering to be counted, did so, and see that my votes weren't counted. So, that's great. : / Unless just the two games weren't counted for some reason, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The one is a re-release, which was allowed. And the other is a new title in the series.

Let's see where mine placed despite my votes seemingly not being counted???
1. Oxenfree (#36)

2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (PC re-release) (no place since it wasn't counted?)

3. Stardew Valley (#16)

4. Style Savvy: Fashion Forward (no place since it wasn't counted?)

5. Va-11-Hall-a: Cyberpunk Bartender Action (#48)

6. Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor (#259)

7. OneShot (#135)

8. 1979 Revolution: Black Friday (#211)

9. The Division (#31)

10. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (#41)

I really hate to start a fight or anything, but SF V being higher that Xrd Revelator means one and simply one thing: Not enough people have played Xrd. No fighting game this year or last has been better. I here by ask that all gafers be required to play at least one arc system works fighting game before casting a vote for a capcom fighting franchise.

Ekai

Dling the data, it seems I'm in the affinity list so my votes were counted? Just not for those two games for some reason? : /

Anyhoo, my affinity data:

Noticed for lots of my affinities the only similarity is Va-11-Hall-A. : P
I mean, it's a good game. I might check out some things listed there. Might not. Some I have planned to check out at some point in the future.

Solid list! UC4 getting first is definitely not shocking but it's well deserved. Damn good game. Great year for games last year, that's for sure :)

Miletius

Dling the data, it seems I'm in the affinity list so my votes were counted? Just not for those two games for some reason? : /

Anyhoo, my affinity data:

Noticed for lots of my affinities the only similarity is Va-11-Hall-A. : P
I mean, it's a good game. I might check out some things listed there. Might not. Some I have planned to check out at some point in the future.

It looks like your data was counted. Take a look at the overall list. Style Saavy is #304. Cheesemeister mentioned that anything with fewer than 3 points were left off the forum list but is available in the full data.

Re-releases are allowed, but without significant changes they are ineligible for overall rankings. They are eligible for genre awards though, so you'll see Daganropa 2 there.

Son Of D

Disagree with Uncharted personally but I can see why it's so liked. Just not my thing.

Has there ever been a vote that didn't produce a lot of salt? 2014 had a lot because Nintendo games did well. I'm assuming there was salt over Witcher 3 not winning last year.

OléGunner;228909079 said:
Just checked out my affinity bro's.

Salute to you all!

sHCf8Qw.gif

Disagree with Uncharted personally but I can see why it's so liked. Just not my thing.

Has there ever been a vote that didn't produce a lot of salt? 2014 had a lot because Nintendo games did well. I'm assuming there was salt over Witcher 3 not winning last year.

Nope, the amount of salt varies but there's always a group of people throwing a fit over their game missing out or an exclusive for another system winning. But to be honest, I was expecting a lot more salt this year than what's happened.

The worst reaction I've seen had to have been Journey in 2012, the salt produced over that win was fucking insane. MGS4 is probably the second worst but that was a very vocal minority that never seemed to shut up over how it totally wouldn't win a re-vote (until it did).

Anyways, my group of bros:

And my top 10 recommended:
1. [XB1][PS4] Doom (FPS) = 7 points
2. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Rez Infinite (Rhythm) = 7 points
3. [XB1][PS4] Overwatch (FPS) = 6 points
4. [XB1][PS4][PC] Titanfall 2 (FPS) = 6 points
5. [XB1][PS4] Firewatch (Adventure) = 5 points
6. [PS4] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Adventure) = 4 points
7. [PS4][PC] Street Fighter V (Fighting) = 4 points
8. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates (Strategy) = 3 points
9. [XB1][PS4][PC] Furi (Shooter) = 3 points
10. [PS4][PC] Overcooked (Puzzle) = 3 points

I'll admit I really need to play Doom and I'm interested in checking out Titanfall 2's campaign and Fire Emblem but eh at Overwatch appearing so high. I've got no interest in online only shooters.

Greddleok

Never underestimate Neogaf's love of Naughty Dog.

Having just started playing Hitman, I'd have put it easily number 2 or 3 on my list. Glad to see it's in there somewhere.

Passion Award
The top 20 games ranked by quantity of rank 1s awarded in ballots. (### = number of rank 1s awarded)

Shouldn't this really be a percentage? So of the people who voted for the game, how many votes were for rank 1? As it is now, it's just a reflection of the main list.

My man, you pulled through with your Watch Dogs 2 blurb.
I feel the same way about that game.

Overcooked is a hidden Gem guys. everyone should try it. It deserves more than being #61 overall.

Yeah picked this up last weekend and it would have made my honourable mentions list at the very least if I played it earlier.

Fantastic couch co-op game, and it's already ruining my relationship with the gf with all the screaming we have to do when playing lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Let's try to cut down on zero-content shitposting about the games on the list, OH MAN THE SALT AND SODIUM gifs and shitposts, console war garbage, and in general try to behave like well adjusted adults for a while. I deleted a bunch of posts on the last pages, but generous bans will be given from now on. :)

Discussion and critique (with content) are always welcome, but "UC4 sucks" or "Man how salty the ND-HATERS IS!?!" garbage is not.

Does anyone know why SuperHot VR was excluded? Was it counted the same as regular SuperHot?

I only first heard about this in the last 12 hours. Right now, I believe they're counted together. I may be able to split them out if people were specific about it -- and at a quick glance it looks like they were -- to the detriment of Superhot's point total.

Anyhoo, going through the full list, I can see my votes weren't counted. Despite following the rules. I was even pm'd that I needed to change my post's honorable mentions numbering to be counted, did so, and see that my votes weren't counted. So, that's great. : / Unless just the two games weren't counted for some reason, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The one is a re-release, which was allowed. And the other is a new title in the series.

Let's see where mine placed despite my votes seemingly not being counted???

You wiped your ballot here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227194648&postcount=598

I really hate to start a fight or anything, but SF V being higher that Xrd Revelator means one and simply one thing: Not enough people have played Xrd. No fighting game this year or last has been better. I here by ask that all gafers be required to play at least one arc system works fighting game before casting a vote for a capcom fighting franchise.
Preach!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I only first heard about this in the last 12 hours. Right now, I believe they're counted together. I may be able to split them out if people were specific about it -- and at a quick glance it looks like they were -- to the detriment of Superhot's point total.

They are two separate games, so it doesn't make sense to combine them as one:
...the developers have clarified their reasoning for this approach and detailed that the new title, SUPERHOT VR, will not be a lazy port of the original, but a completely reworked title built for the Oculus Touch motion controllers.
-Source

Murkas

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was 17 last year, and Monster Hunter Generations fell to 51 this year, which was interesting.

Probably MH burnout, I'll admit that as a huge fan of the series. Which is funny because Generations is arguably better imo.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was 17 last year, and Monster Hunter Generations fell to 51 this year, which was interesting.

Probably MH burnout, I'll admit that as a huge fan of the series. Which is funny because Generations is arguably better imo.

It may also be that 2016 was a stronger year IMO

Filben

But how will I know what not to post if you deleted examples for us to use?
[...]zero-content shitposting about the games on the list, OH MAN THE SALT AND SODIUM gifs and shitposts, console war garbage [...] "UC4 sucks" or "Man how salty the ND-HATERS IS!?!" garbage [...]
There you go ;) Few examples and general hints. It's actually quite easy to figure out what is accepted and what's not.

SOME-MIST

well at least pocket card jockey made the top 100!

went through my user affinity and was happy to see other people also voting for battle garegga rev. 2016, samorost 3, and wild guns reloaded.

of course the only games I voted for that actually won we're the last guardian and doom.

DrArchon

Stardew Valley can't even make it into top 15. I'm very disappointed in you, GAF. Well, at least Pokemon SM was able to get in there. Maybe there's some hope after all.

I kid. 2016 was a crazy strong year for games. I really need to get a PS4 it looks like.

Ekai

That makes no sense. So my votes weren't counted for saying I'm changing my list around and pointing out that the list of eligible games from 2016 was missing titles? Then how do I gain an affinity list? And have affinity with people who have games that weren't in that second post but were in my first post.

Also looked at the full list and noticed a game I put in honorable mentions gained points somehow despite it not being mentioned anywhere else in the voting topic. So whatever you're using to gather data definitely counted that quoted post as points it would seem. On top of that, it has points and an honorable mention still. Which to me makes it look like both of my posts were counted afterall (despite the second post not meaning to be a list). Yet DR still doesn't have a spot even in the full list. And others voted for Style Savvy besides myself to give it a few points so either their lists were invalidated or for some reason it counted my honorable mentions in the first post but not the games I voted for.

I also want to say you responded to me about that matter in that topic pages later and even responded to other people's questions just a few posts after that one that you're quoting. So I don't get a forewarning that my post will be invalidated for some reason but I do get a PM saying as much from another poster in regards to my original list so I change it around? Well, that's just dandy. Not a big deal but : /

Edit:

I also noticed that the list that has games with #1 rankings listed that Oxenfree had 3 people give it #1 rank. I was one of only 3 people who did so I guess my list was counted? There's so much contradicting itself here.

Nvm, maybe recalled that list wrong. Can't find it now.

Let me massively disappoint/disgust you with the following anecdote.

I don't get arc system works fighters. I've had the original Blazblue, one of its numerous expansions, whatever the last gen Guilty Gear was that was like an accumulation entry of sorts and now Xrd.

So it starts off okay, I go into the training and get the basics down, so far so good.
Then I think "maybe Story mode is a good way to ease myself into things". After 30 minutes of absolute anime I come to the realisation that there's no gameplay in this mode at all, they've taken their story so dang seriously they ain't gonna try and wrap fights around the plot. I noped right out of there, tried to get the basics down with some simple CPU VS.
And shit me, the same issue I found in later Blazblue entires rears up here, not to my surprise mind you but every character is so different and at times so damn complex it's hard to even get into the game.
I still think the genre in general has a long way to go as for making more easily readable and understandable move guides, alas for all the efforts they made with the tutorial and what not there's still this uncanny layer of impenetrable-ness for my casual arse to get through as I try to remember what button on the controller equates to each symbol, this is before getting to trying Bedman who has some crazy unique mechanics that are faaar beyond me.

In general its style falls into something of a niche, I mean Guilty Gear was always anime (and hey I can enjoy some anime) but I don't remember it being quite like it is now, it's a bit much.

For the many things Street Fighter gets wrong, well even with Capcom's half hearted approach is still feels boatloads easier to get a handle on and dare I say it, just feels so much better to actually play at a base level for me.
So yep I voted SFV in my list at number 3, I'm sorry, Xrd Revelator is a fine game but it's really not for me.

Overcooked is a hidden Gem guys. everyone should try it. It deserves more than being #61 overall.
I plan to get the retail version at some point so I can trojan horse it into a boardgame night at a friends house, since I wont be getting anyone playing it at mine.

Stardew Valley can't even make it into top 15. I'm very disappointed in you, GAF. Well, at least Pokemon SM was able to get in there. Maybe there's some hope after all.
In retrospect I should've boosted Stardew from 9th to 5th on my list, deep down I know the farming life had me more than even Doom's demon slaying.

This is a best effort, done on a volunteer basis.

For 2016, we counted about 1500 votes covering over 1400 spreadsheet entries. Many voters do not follow simple instructions. Some problematic cases always crop up in very large data sets. Tweaking the rules or massaging the data to clean up or accommodate non-conforming text or conflicting data opens up the possibility of other ballots' tabulation being influenced. I've tried to help people resolve their issues in cases where it wasn't likely to break other tabulation. Working out every single last issue produces diminishing returns in hours committed vs. the number of people still reading relatively tiny changes in the overall output.

The sheer volume of data processed requires a certain degree of automation. Doing everything manually to produce the statistics provided would take weeks of full-time work. There's simply no time.

For all the work put in, it's met with countless complaints about imperfect records of platform availability and genre assignments for the hundreds of games that could never humanly be played by anyone in a year, whining about the outcome, and very few offers to help.

I do apologize that it's not perfect, but hopefully it's satisfactory for the purposes of taking a deep dive into the collated data as a starting point for conversations about our favorite video games for the year, which is really the point anyway.

How do you guys view the affinity list? I pulled up that Google Drive link in the OP but I can't open it. I downloaded it and tried to unzip with 7zip and it gave me an error.

Top Bottom