• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA : Virtual Console line-up for April (GBA games + SMB3 finally coming)

Tadale

It is called bundling a save file with it. They won't do it because like having Gyro to release Yoshi's Universal Gravitation that is like effort which is against the Nintendo emulation ethos.

Even if they were to do it Europe would once again be left with an inferior version lacking the levels.

I also have the cynical feeling it'll made as DLC if it were to happen.

Oh I'm pretty sure it'll never happen.

I think its bad for me they´re selling VC games at high prices

But i also think its worst for nintendo that they´re trying to sell these games at high prices.

High prices mean
+ More profit per game sold
- Less people buying
- People buying less games
- People thinking more before buying a game, spending more time with a single game (at least i can tell im guilty on that one - every VC game i got was played to hell)
- VC service a lot less popular than it could be
- If you want to warm an old franchise, VC aint helping much

Lower prices could mean
- Less profit per game sold
+ More people buying
+ People buying more games.
+ Depending on the price, people buying ALL games EVERY week
+ More impulse buy
+ Less time spent on VC games (because they are cheap), wont compete with full retail WiiU titles
+ VC service getting more popular reaching more people
+ Re-ignite old franchises for a bigger interested base
- A few People buying WiiU just for VC and ignoring retail games
+ But even that is good.

At least is how i see it. Feel free to point all that is wrong with that. I bet its a lot, but right now i cant find it

They have already started with running half off sales on certain vc games. There will be sales, and $8 isn't a high price. Most indie or downloadable games range from $10-$20 and these are of equal value in my mind.

Just because its older doesn't mean its lower in value or cheaper to release.

How is this greed, exactly? I'm not sure what the big deal is. $7 - $8 is reasonable. Has mobile pricing really devalued games so much?

I completely agree

I really like he variable pricing I didnt get a lot of the non pokemon games on my DS Lite so I am really looking forward to getting some of these

I was hoping for all 7 but 7-8 variable is nice

Also Nintendo is actually giving us more than one game a week in NA that are actually decent

still incredible to me they're not selling these on 3DS.

what's their reasoning? I suppose people might buy fewer actual 3DS games if they had the GBA's back catalogue to play through. still...seems counter intuitive not to port portable games to a portable.

Their reasoning is that they don't yet have an acceptable standard GBA emulator on 3DS.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I guess this means a month without any new SNES of NES releases besides SMB3 then... not sure how I feel about that, especially since playing GBA games on my Wii U doesn't appeal to me at all.

While it probably won't mean much, they only called it a release list of their "key titles", so technically there could be more games releasing that month.
Plus you get NES Remix 2 in April which is a lot of NES gaming.

I really don't understand who these people are who are so upset over like $3

Try buying carts of these games, I'm sure you'll be in for at least $10.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
On one hand, most of those are $7.99.

On the other hand,
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (Wii U, $6.99)

Easily a day one purchase. Hopefully this leads to a wider audience for the series so I can have the F-Zero GX sequel I need
;_;

Davey Cakes

That Nintendo premium. Only 2 dollars less than ps2 games.
It doesn't even make sense to mention this.

Nintendo makes people pay $5 for Donkey Kong on NES. You can get the far superior Donkey Kong '94 for less. You can get 5 PAID iOS games for that, never mind all of the more compelling FREE content. You could at one point find Mass Effect 3 for, like, $4 on Steam.

Unless you expected an announcement (alongside the GBA VC launch) that Nintendo was overhauling their entire VC pricing structure across Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, then there's no point in talking about VC prices in comparison to other game prices.

Somnid

It doesn't even make sense to mention this.

Nintendo makes people pay $5 for Donkey Kong on NES. You can get the far superior Donkey Kong '94 for less. You can get 5 PAID iOS games for that, never mind all of the more compelling FREE content. You could at one point find Mass Effect 3 for, like, $4 on Steam.

Unless you expected an announcement that Nintendo was overhauling their entire VC pricing structure across Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, then there's no point in talking about VC prices in comparison to other game prices.

Also true because every single one is exclusive.

ahm998

I am happy for this announced without Nintendo Direct hype.

But sad for GBA games price...very greedy price as always from Nintendo.

YES! Omg yes! Advance Wars day one! Golden Sun day one! I'm so happy to see this! My Wii U can finally get some more use! I also like Kirby, but I remember liking Amazing Mirror when I first got the game, then when revisiting it years later I thought it wasn't too good. I Don't know, I might give it another try considering it's a little less expensive than the rest, but I still have my original copy so I could just play that, I suppose. But Advance Wars and Golden Sun! YES! Also Wario Ware! Loved the original and Twisted!

Just because you can buy a game on iOS for 99 cents and forget about it a few days later doesn't mean that Virtual Console needs to be a similar market.

$7-$8 is fine for these titles. Advance Wars has probably at least 20 hours of gameplay and is one of the best titles on the system.

Do people just buy things to buy them, or play them?

If the content is good, why does this matter?
Because the content is good on the PS2 games too.

Plus you could take your line of reasoning and stretch it. Advance Wars is a great game. What does it matter if they charge $20 if it's a great game? Mario Kart Double Dash is a great game. Who cares if they charge $50 to download it if the content is good?

Metallix87

Plus you could take your line of reasoning and stretch it. Advance Wars is a great game. What does it matter if they charge $20 if it's a great game? Mario Kart Double Dash is a great game. Who cares if they charge $50 to download it if the content is good?
I think this logic is sound, actually, even if the prices you mentioned are exaggerated. Sales and discounts should happen, obviously, but why should the MSRP suffer because the content is old, exactly? Especially with people paying more for physical copies.

Piccoro

Is Super Mario Bros. 3 for the GBA (Mario Advance series) the same as the OG SMB3. Or does it have differences, like SMB3 All-Stars version?

Higher prices allows Nintendo to be strategic by incentivizing purchases through sales. They'll also get more money from those willing to pick up the games at full price.

Nintendo sure took their sweet time releasing SMB3 in NA. Probably my most anticipated VC title.

Davey Cakes

If Nintendo charged $50 for Double Dash then they'd be pricing it at its original price.

GBA VC titles are priced WAY less than their original $30 price point.

Even Nintendo knows where to draw the line.

List of Games
While it is a solid line-up, nothing screams at me maybe besides Advance Wars. I wish they would allow games in which other sources of emulation does not work like Wario Ware: Twisted. I would pay 8 dollars for Wario Ware: Twisted. Also, it is funny a GBA is priced the same as an SNES game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

But it's not $20. It's only $7.99. To be honest, $7.99 is perfectly reasonable for a GBA game like Advance Wars. It's slightly irking that Japan gets Advance Wars 1+2 as a single game while the West has to pay for both, but it's still cheaper than buying a physical cartridge of the game. Go on eBay and look for Advance Wars. The cheapest you'll find is around $14, and that's during an auction for a loose cartridge, and not a complete in box edition of the game. $7.99 is relatively cheap.

I think this logic is sound, actually. Sales and discounts should happen, obviously, but why should the MSRP suffer because the content is old, exactly? Especially with people paying more for physical copies.
A lot of things go down in price because they are old. That question doesn't make any sense.

And physical games are always going to have fluctuating prices because of things like being able to resell it, the fact that it's a physical copy and the collectors market. None of these things are factors in VC releases.
But it's not $20. It's only $7.99. To be honest, $7.99 is perfectly reasonable for a GBA game like Advance Wars. It's slightly irking that Japan gets Advance Wars 1+2 as a single game while the West has to pay for both, but it's still cheaper than buying a physical cartridge of the game. Go on eBay and look for Advance Wars. The cheapest you'll find is around $14, and that's during an auction for a loose cartridge, and not a complete in box edition of the game. $7.99 is relatively cheap.
I'm well aware, it was a hypothetical based on that posters line of reasoning. The whole point was that "If the content is good who cares how much isn't costs?" is a bad line of reasoning.

And see above for why physical retail carts aren't a good comparison point. People love to bring up that point instead of comparing it to the other digital distribution pricing models for retro games on other systems. Which is the more logical, direct comparison.

At least is how i see it. Feel free to point all that is wrong with that. I bet its a lot, but right now i cant find it

Nothing wrong with your post, it all depends on the price consumers are willing to pay. Nintendo feels confident they are willing to pay x amount for their games. If the increase is 1 to 1 (Let's say a 20% reduction in price leads to a 20% increase in purchases) then there is no real benefit as Nintendo probably incurs a cost (probably extremely miniscule) for every purchase. Also the more games someone owns, the more they might question an additional purchase.

I'm just one person, but out of that list I have no problem paying the $7/$8 for the games I want. If they reduced the price to $4 or $5 on the games I'm less interested in, I still wouldn't buy them. At the same time, if Nintendo notices sluggish sales on certain titles then they should put them on sale or have permanent price reductions.

If Nintendo charged $50 for Double Dash then they'd be pricing it at its original price.

GBA VC titles are priced WAY less than their original $30 price point.

Even Nintendo knows where to draw the line.

Yea I do wish it was only 7 or 6.50 but 7 and 8 variable isnt bad

I would love it if they retroactively changed NES and SNES prices for some of the games like Pinball and Volleyball on the NES are not worth 5 compared to Zelda NES or SMB2

Also I'd love it if we bought all four super mario NES games and world they would give us all stars SNES for free or 2 bucks or something like that

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
These fucking prices, man... Ugh.

And please tell me I don't have to purchase SMB3 twice to play it on both systems. I could swallow the price if it's a single purchase.

Metallix87

A lot of things go down in price because they are old. That question doesn't make any sense.

And physical games are always going to have fluctuating prices because of things like being able to resell it, the fact that it's a physical copy and the collectors market. None of these things are factors in VC releases.
They absolutely factor, since Nintendo's prices are usually much cheaper, allowing non-collectors to legally experience these games.

The issue is with you, not the prices. You seem to think these titles aren't worth $7 - $8, and that's on you. To me, the value is there, and the content is, for the most part, of very high quality.

Tell me, do you think a Blu-Ray release of a classic film should cost a few bucks as opposed to $14.99 or more, simply because it's old?

EhoaVash

$8 for Metroid fusion ? seriously fuck that when already there's plenty of good versions of that game online for free on a emulator >.>

give me pokemon instead nintendo.

$8 for Metroid fusion ? seriously fuck that when already there's plenty of good versions of that game online for free on a emulator >.>

give me pokemon instead nintendo.

Just not legal....

Anyways I dont get why people are ticked off on the price

Its Nintendo GBA = SNES in their mind at least we get a dollar off in some cases thats some improvement

Pokemon would be great Maybe integration with PokeBank or emulated connectivity over Nintendo wifi would be great

I'd pay 15 for that per game

They absolutely factor, since Nintendo's prices are usually much cheaper, allowing non-collectors to legally experience these games.

The issue is with you, not the prices. You seem to think these titles aren't worth $7 - $8, and that's on you. To me, the value is there, and the content is, for the most part, of very high quality.

Tell me, do you think a Blu-Ray release of a classic film should cost a few bucks as opposed to $14.99 or more, simply because it's old.
You can buy whatever you want, I don't care. You're the one calling other people's opinions about Nintendo's pricing in this thread nonsense.

As far as your Blu-Ray question, a lot of old movies get discounted bare bones Blu-Ray releases because no one was going to pay $40 for Waynes World 2 on Blu-Ray. Not to mention the updated visuals and extra features that might come with a Blu-Ray. As far as I can tell the only added features to VC games are save anywhere and button mapping.

It saddens me to see how the Virtual Console could be so amazing, yet they'll fuck it up again and have light releases for the months to come just like they always do. A constant stream of new games like this and I'd be spending a lot more money on my Wii U. As it stands I barely turn the thing on anymore.

$7.99 well worth the price for Superstar Saga. Now if only Nintendo had this intense a VC release schedule for N64 titles as well... we'd be back in business.

Metallix87

You can buy whatever you want, I don't care. You're the one calling other people's opinions about Nintendo's pricing in this thread nonsense.

As far as your Blu-Ray question, a lot of old movies get discounted bare bones Blu-Ray releases because no one was going to pay $40 for Waynes World 2 on Blu-Ray. Not to mention the updated visuals and extra features that might come with a Blu-Ray. As far as I can tell the only added features to VC games are save anywhere and button mapping.
The nonsense is simple: You can say you don't agree with the pricing, or that it's not in your budget, but to call Nintendo greedy, or to have expected different pricing, is nonsensical, and condemning the pricing model is illogical.

As for the Blu-Ray issue, you've now dodged the issue. Here, I'll give you a proper example. Citizen Kane is one of the best movies ever made, and the Blu-Ray is $20. Crimes and Misdemeanors is a solid film, and the BD is $35 with no special features. These are both old films. Do you think they are priced correctly? Should they be priced less than a newer movie like, say, Transformers or Man of Steel?

cacildo

Nothing wrong with your post, it all depends on the price consumers are willing to pay. Nintendo feels confident they are willing to pay x amount for their games. If the increase is 1 to 1 (Let's say a 20% reduction in price leads to a 20% increase in purchases) then there is no real benefit as Nintendo probably incurs a cost (probably extremely miniscule) for every purchase. Also the more games someone owns, the more they might question an additional purchase.

True. Never thought about it (the last bit)

I'm just one person, but out of that list I have no problem paying the $7/$8 for the games I want. If they reduced the price to $4 or $5 on the games I'm less interested in, I still wouldn't buy them. At the same time, if Nintendo notices sluggish sales on certain titles then they should put them on sale or have permanent price reductions.

What if they reduce the price to $1 or $2, would you buy games you are less interested in?

Top Bottom