• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FY 23/24 Earnings Release: Hardware 1.96m LTD 141.32M. MVDK 1.12M, Peach Showtime! 1.22M

FStubbs

I smell a long awaited price drop. How big that price drop is really comes down to if Nintendo care about becoming the biggest selling platform in history or not.

If they price drop the OLED to $249, Standard Switch to $199 and Lite to $149 along with a cheaper $40-$50 dollar range of budget titles and a marketing blitz showcasing all it’s exclusive titles it could go on to sell 150-180 million units and it will never be beaten. I don’t actually think they care and would rather sell 30 million less consoles IF it means they make more pure profit.

The fact they could beat PS2 in hardware sales if they really wanted to is absolutely mind boggling especially if you remember the environment around 2014 when WiiU was in the gutter. Nintendo genuinely looked out for the count.
I don't know if it will make it to 155 ...

But let me rain on the parade a little. Switch is basically a union of handheld and console. Which means 2 generations ago, Nintendo sold a staggering 250 million between DS and Wii.

sachos

Some Highlights and notes

i1Qgdni.jpeg
2uenaCe.jpeg
50.2% Digital split, but physical games are dead guys. On track to break PS2 record but consoles are dead guys.

Scotty W

But the series doesn't have a bad sales history,its just unremarkable placed next to such big IPs that defined gaming
This is what I meant.

I don’t think Nintendo makes that much money on individual Metroid games, apart from a few exceptions. They couldn’t carry a system. They make enough to make making them worthwhile, and there will always be Nintendo owners who will buy a Metroid game.

BUT there is a certain segment of people will only buy in to a Nintendo system for a Metroid game, OR will only respect a Nintendo system with a Metroid game. And once the foot is in the door, people will naturally buy Mario Kart etc. I think this is the true value of Metroid.

On a side note, Mario Kart 8 is really interesting. It released on the WiiU, but nobody bought a WiiU for Mario Kart. Everyone bought a Switch for Zelda, and now Mario Kart is unstoppable.

Meaning people will not buy a system for Mario Kart, but they will buy it if they buy the system.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't know if it will make it to 155 ...

But let me rain on the parade a little. Switch is basically a union of handheld and console. Which means 2 generations ago, Nintendo sold a staggering 250 million between DS and Wii.
With both devices that shared ZERO library, therefore people had reasons to buy both. There's no reason for A Switch owner to have more than one except for collecting since all Switch devices have same library and I'm terms of actual functionality and content, having two or more of them is redundant.

That comparison is just too flawed and I still don't know why some people use it lol.

Switch had the best fiscal year 7 of any Platform beating the PS2's 14.71 million by almost one million. The PS2 has the best FY8 of 13.73 million and Nintendo forecasts 13.50 million so this fiscal year it will be close to the record.

Nintendo yearly hardware shipments (millions of units)

fhKXRrD.png

Note: GB hardware shipments counted up to March 31st 1998, GBC hardware shipments counted from April 1st 1998.

Sony yearly hardware shipments (millions of units)

C8JpcWR.png

Note: The PSV numbers are estimates and the PS5 still has Q4 remaining for FY3 and is forecast to ship 21 million.

Nintendo yearly software shipments (millions of units)

0f9qNXS.png

Note: GB software shipments counted up to March 31st 1998, GBC software shipments counted from April 1st 1998.

Switch software for fiscal year 7 was only around 15 million less than the combined total of all other Nintendo Platforms.

Last edited:

Woopah

That fair from a revenues standpoint, yet I don't see an opposite trend ever, since Nintendo first parties are always behemoth sellers compared to almost anything in the industry
It's a ratio heavily weighted towards Nintendo.

For that first party ratio to drop below 50%, you'd have to see total third party games selling far far more than total first party games.

Right now we are seeing third party unit sales being higher than first party unit sales. But not far far more.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Yearly sales for all 10+ million sellers on Switch plus Kirby. Smash, Super Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion 3 and SM3DW+BF were up year over year.

yk4Oc5i.png
This puts things in perspective of how great TotK sales are compared to BotW. 20m in less than a year and BotW took over 4yrs to get 20m.

It’s also a great indication that old and new fans liked BotW enough to continue the adventure with TotK.

Top Bottom