• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Rewards: option to exchange points for Xbox Game Pass removed (up: back, post #198)

In terms of their public image and how they seem to be the butt of the joke this gen, this is the perfect time for them to make these types of moves.

Take the hits to the chin now while you’re already taking other hits, and profit later 🤷‍♂️

Wizz-Art

I redeemed close to $1500 Xbox gift cards over the past 5 years. Never for Game Pass though because I have the reasoning that if I redeem for a Xbox gift card, when I spend it I also generate MS rewards points any time I buy something. I pay the normal monthly price for GPU, to me it's worth it.

What I don't like though is that the monthly punchcard offer for buying 3 movies for at least $4 each which netted you 2500 bonus points is gone since this month, I usually bought those movies on Tuesdays when the new movie deals were up. I hope they come back for August.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Who Knows Idk GIF

Mephisto40

What a stupid comment. Does Nintendo and Sony have a way to get their subscription service for free? If not, then what MS is doing is defensible and you need to ask why Sony and Nintendo have yet to give you the same offer for even a few months, if not years.

The only one licking boots is the one who cannot be consistent about their expectations between platforms.
Sony have a rewards program where you can get free PS Store credit when you buy games now

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This just reminds me I should be doing my daily xbox rewards...but I just forget and kinda can't be assed..

My loss I guess.

Anyone got a link to the reddit?

GreatnessRD

That's some bitchassness, Microsoft. Par the course for these big game companies, however, so one shouldn't be shocked or surprised.

Topher

Gold Member
Why do you lie OP, it was a mistake for the amount of time you were getting and they pulled it to adjust it. Also, the majority of what you listed here is untrue.

Microsoft hasn't said why they pulled the Game Pass options from Rewards so you are making an assumption as to the reason. And nothing else he said was a lie.

ReBurn

Gold Member
When you use rewards, is it essentially full price for GPU? I don't always have a sub to GPU, only when there's stuff on there I want to play so I just get a 2 month code for like $6 to $8 bucks to tide me over.
Depends on your rewards level, how you redeem, and the length of the subscription you get.

Monthly at level 2 it was possible to auto-redeem 10,500 points for Xbox game pass or manually get a GPU code for 12,000 points. 3 months GPU was 35,000 points. 35,000 points is between $22 and $35 depending on which value calculation they do. The base used to be 1,600 points = $1, but it's different in different scenarios. If you're donating points to charity $1 = 1,000 points. If you're trading for store credit $1 can equal 1,600 points. I'm sure some product manager understands it.

It's pretty complicated sometimes, but you could definitely get GPU for less than equivalent retail cost. I've been getting 3 month GPU codes and I'm good for 3 years. If it comes back I expect the exchange rate to be higher since it didn't go up with the recent price increase.

93xfan

Banned
Sure fam. I guess this will be your defence IF MS would remove day-one games on GPU, then? Or they only leave one-month subs (and remove 3months one) or never give a yearly one for discounted price?
Nope. They better keep day one games. I was also pissed when they tried to make gold $10 a month without the $60 a year option.

93xfan

Banned

Kilau

Sony have a rewards program where you can get free PS Store credit when you buy games now

True but not really comparable to MS rewards. It’s more of a digital collectible program than a way of earning store credit. You have to spend money to get any significant amount of points whereas MS gives lots of points for no money.

Mephisto40

That’sa good thing. But i also can still get points when I buy games and points for very little effort to buy gift cards.
You can buy PSN credit with the playstation stars points you collect, I've already claimed a £20 psn card and I've only been on it a few months, you get a surprisingly high amount of points for buying new games

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

93xfan

Banned
You can buy PSN credit with the playstation stars points you collect, I've already claimed a £20 psn card and I've only been on it a few months, you get a surprisingly high amount of points for buying new games
That’s a good service. I like that and will give credit where it’s due

Hestar69

I'm routinely touching 28, 29k points a month. You get a lot for just doing the game pass daily, weekly, monthly quests. The Rewards reddit is a great place as well.

Shopping game still works but it sucks at updating properly, if you stick to it for a little bit, you should be able to get all the points (if you close the window after 10 attempts, it asks you to come back tomorrow, don't close the window until you get 100 points).

I'm at 25.6k points this month, probably gonna reach 28~k by the end.
whats the shopping game?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
True but not really comparable to MS rewards. It’s more of a digital collectible program than a way of earning store credit. You have to spend money to get any significant amount of points whereas MS gives lots of points for no money.

Boy do they. I have purchased about a dozen games and the Starfield controller using 'free money' just this year.

Daddy bigbucks indeed.

whats the shopping game?

Scroll down and they have a 'game' to pick the item which costs the least our of 3/4 and for each correct one you get 10 pts, you can max it for 100 pts daily (3000 pts a month)

You can do it the "proper" way and open the product pages and choose the one with the lowest price, or just use one of the many scripts people have made to automate the process.

At least one thing wrong is that the conversion won't go away with Gold changes to Core, you can convert console or PC GPU's as well for the same conversion ratio.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Boy do they. I have purchased about a dozen games and the Starfield controller using 'free money' just this year.

Daddy bigbucks indeed.

Scroll down and they have a 'game' to pick the item which costs the least our of 3/4 and for each correct one you get 10 pts, you can max it for 100 pts daily (3000 pts a month)

You can do it the "proper" way and open the product pages and choose the one with the lowest price, or just use one of the many scripts people have made to automate the process.

At least one thing wrong is that the conversion won't go away with Gold changes to Core, you can convert console or PC GPU's as well for the same conversion ratio.
ty! never knew that!

Looms like now that MS has invested huge amount of money into Gamepass content, they are closing the way people can get that content without paying the actual GP sub fees, which I guess is fair, but I do like free shit.

Same old Microsoft. They were never going to maintain the value of Game Pass. Get people to sub, get them used to paying every month, and raise the prices on them to recoup initial losses.

bender

What time is it?
Game Pass is back on the points redemption list, as expected.

xroi18mwfefb1.png

Expecting all the fine folks who chimed in here to be back with their apologies any second now.

Back to showing up in my current auto-redemptions too. Figures since I bought 3 months of Gold on the cheap yesterday. Let's see if it actually renews this month.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Back to showing up in my current auto-redemptions too. Figures since I bought 3 months of Gold on the cheap yesterday. Let's see if it actually renews this month.

No change to point values either, makes this all the more better even.

Looks like they're doing a good job of garnering good will.

Top Bottom