• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft employees aren’t happy that they’re losing free Xbox Game Pass Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I have a theory that Microsoft has tightened the noose around Xbox and is now demanding better financial returns.

There are multiple evidence of it and even hints by Phil Spencer that point to that. Increasing Xbox console price is a result of that, in my opinion.
And all that's fair, and good for them, but my point stands. Their business has not gone the way they thought it would go by this point.

And there is reason to believe -- plenty of evidence and quotes by Phil -- that Microsoft may be demanding a better performance from them. There is also strong evidence that Microsoft has cut the Xbox budget by a meaningful amount.

All these price hikes seem to be because Microsoft is tightening the noose around the Xbox division.
Told You So Comedy GIF by NETFLIX

nemiroff

Gold Member
Lol. Why are some of you people suddenly concerned for MS employees. Microsoft probably still has more perks left and bigger salaries than any of the companies you work for (or at your school..).

Now if my company pull the rug on our free latest top model iPhones and Samsungs I know where to post my tears 😄

Last edited:

Zathalus

Phil whenever Microsoft do something scummy:

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

You mean to tell me that Microsoft operate in a way where most of their 240k employees have perks stripped and this doesn’t get run past Nadella or the senior leadership team?

Doesn’t add up to me.
Something as trivial as this rarely makes it up to the president level. This was likely a move made by someone in upper management.

Tommi84

Sucks for the employee, but let's face it...

... Microsoft needs to pump those GPU numbers up so pay up!! :D

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
238,000 (or however many) GPU 'influencers' suddenly delete their X / Insta / FB accounts...

BigLee74

I'm not trying to make a fanboy point here, but I'm genuinely curious is PS+ is a benefit for all Sony employees or if its a benefit for just PlayStation employees (or not an employee benefit at all).
Surely the equivalent would be all Sony employees? Looks like those that work for Xbox still get a free subscription.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The fact that these news are becoming big topics of discussion shows the rampant desperation in the face of this week's Sony news.
What exactly is that bad news? Bungie firing 10% employees and their awful last expansion not performing (deservedly)? When it has been confirmed that the downsizing happened internally because of Bungie and didn't come from Sony? lol. Besides, you think PlayStation fans care about Bungie? lol.
  • In the same period, Spider-Man 2 set a new record for a PlayStation Studios title and launched to massive critical and commercial success. That's what PlayStation fans care more about.
  • Or you're talking about the good news of Sony's acquisition of iSize, a tech company that has enabled PS+ streaming to already outperform xCloud's streaming in terms of resolution, latency, and image quality?
  • Or are you talking about the fantastic GT 7 free update?
There has been no "bad Sony news." Even Bungie's failure will give PlayStation fans more single-player games like always. These are all good news.

SonyToo™ can't be used to arrest the continuous spiral that has been Microsoft/Xbox has been in of late.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Supremely pathetic thing to do. You really so strapped for cash you need to those 200.000 employees to sign up for Gamepass?

Microsoft just can't stop taking L's, it seems.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It is clear that Xbox influencers still haven’t received a proper script for this news. Poor fellas are somehow dragging Sony to prove a point, while the whole story is all about internal shifts in bigger Microsoft, not it’s gaming arm.

And yes, removing this benefit is still penny pinching, considering how much money MS makes in a single quarter. Is this essential? Of course not! It’s a simple nice-to-have. Once again, like a corporate pen or a badge. It is still kinda silly that MS is removing internal benefits for it’s own ecosystem despite the fact that their net profit is rising every quarter for years straight. Why people are breaking spears in the defend of 3t usd corporation is beyond me though. You’re not getting even a Free Gamepass T-shirt for this, my dudes.

Seems actually quite reasonable. Xbox guys get Xbox stuff, while actual MS guys get probably Windows and Office?

I guess VW employees get a discount only on VWs while Skoda employees only on Skodas... Audi and Seat also only their own brand even though everything is VW-group? While the people assembling at Porsche, Bugatti, Rimac, Bentley and Lambo probably get something more affordable since the average mechanic hardly will be driving one of those.

Last edited:

Kyo

Why the fuck did they give this away in the first place? Are they really so desperate for "engagement" numbers? I guess I've already answered my own question.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yes, the usual Sony fanboys infiltrated Microsoft, increased Game Pass price in Turkey by 435%, put full-screen ads on Xbox consoles, and canceled Game Pass perks and benefits for Microsoft employees. 🤣

Tonight Show Thinking GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Is this really that bad? Turkey price increase is due to the spiraling inflation, game prices and services have sharply increased for everyone in that country. Its not limited to just Microsoft or Gamepass. Full-screen ads have been on Xbox consoles for months (although I wouldn't be a fan), and benefits for Microsoft employees change all the time, as with most major corporations.

Its honestly a bunch of tiny things that has very little impact.

winjer

Gold Member
It's really strange to se a trillion dollar company, penny pinching like this.
Even if all these employees were to pay for Gamepass Ultimate, it's a tiny drop in a huge bucket.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Is this really that bad? Turkey price increase is due to the spiraling inflation, game prices and services have sharply increased for everyone in that country. Its not limited to just Microsoft or Gamepass. Full-screen ads have been on Xbox consoles for months (although I wouldn't be a fan), and benefits for Microsoft employees change all the time, as with most major corporations.

Its honestly a bunch of tiny things that has very little impact.
Honestly, in my opinion, none of this news - if viewed individually - is in that terrible category. However, when you combine all of them and look at where the direction is heading, the signs are absolutely not great.

And it's nothing surprising either. We all knew things like these would start happening soon, which is the reason why a lot of people were against this kind of future where a subscription-first company owned a lot of important assets. But that's a different topic.

In regard to this, for some folks these news would be terrible and for others they might not be so bad. But to say that it is "Sony fanboys" who are spreading these as negative news is pure delusion. Because however we cut it, these are not good news. These are bad news - the degree, however, may vary from person to person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom