• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft employees aren’t happy that they’re losing free Xbox Game Pass Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
This is 100% facts. theres some desperate attempts at deflection going on in the last 24 hours, for what is all ultimately nothing burgers.
Oh… we’re back on the topic of deflection?

That thing that shills do?

That thing that you and the rest of the XBDF are doing in this very thread, and indeed in the very post where you cry about “deflection”?

Yeah… that’s now “projection,” that other thing people like you do when they want to manipulate a situation.

So tell me, how much of a heads-up did you guys get for this one? Because those unified talking points sure did pop up fast.

DJ12

This looks like them MS accountants getting in Xbox's ass. Looks like they need that 70 billion back sooner then later.
And people still believe MS aren't desperate to get in the playstation and Ninetndo eco systems.

Xbox as a console is dying, this penny pinching is further proof. Consoles are sold at a loss and still losing market share hand over fist. Won't be long before a change is made there that certain people won't be happy about but will probably start indicating how much it makes sense for Microsoft and that they get the best of both worlds when they have to buy a PlayStation.

Last edited:

Zathalus

And upper management just make that decision without consulting their manager?
All the time? That's why they are management. You don't run to the division president for everything. Especially day to day operations, or something like employee benefits.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And people still believe MS aren't desperate to get in the playstation and Ninetndo eco systems.

Xbox as a console is dying, this penny pinching is further proof. Consoles are sold at a loss and still losing market share hand over fist. Won't be long before a change is made there that certain people won't be happy about but will probably start indicating how much it makes sense for Microsoft and that they get the best of both worlds when they have to buy a PlayStation.
This. 100%.

This is stuff that should be bookmarked.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Told You So Comedy GIF by NETFLIX
Didnt Microsoft just create the Microsoft Gaming division which encompasses Xbox Games Studios, ZeniMax, Activision/Blizzard, Xbox Operations and Cloud Gaming divisions.
That doesnt sound like a company giving up on a division.

Sarah Bond was promoted to president of Xbox literally 7 days ago my G.

DJ12

Didnt Microsoft just create the Microsoft Gaming division which encompasses Xbox Games Studios, ZeniMax, Activision/Blizzard, Xbox Operations and Cloud Gaming divisions.

Who said they were giving up on gaming. Gaslight better if you are going to try.

Mr.ODST

It's irrelevant if it is or isn't, its just a poor attempt at gaslighting the issue.

What's important is ms thought it would be a nice bonus for staff and now are telling them they can get fuq'd.
Not being funny but all games companies are the same, I've worked for Playstation I know how horrific they can be

Black_Stride

Who said they were giving up on gaming. Gaslight better if you are going to try.

Learn to fucking read before telling people they are attempting to Gaslight.
Heisenberg implied MS were killing the Xbox division.....the division that has actually expanded and become an all encompassing entity known as Microsoft Gaming Division.

P.S Before you come at me and say who said they were killing the division, Heisenberg also said they were tightening the noose around the division.
You do know what nooses symbolize and are used for right?

DJ12

Learn to fucking read before telling people they are attempting to Gaslight.
Heisenberg implied MS were killing the Xbox division.....the division that has actually expanded and become an all encompassing entity known as Microsoft Gaming Division.

P.S Before you come at me and say who said they were killing the division, Heisenberg also said they were tightening the noose around the division.
You do know what nooses symbolize and are used for right?
Again numbnutz, why does stopping xbox consoles or even the xbox division mean ms is giving up on gaming.

It's irrelevant if it is or isn't, its just a poor attempt at gaslighting the issue.
I think it is interesting if such things are industry standards. If PS+ might be only for SIE, or also for Sony Mobile, Sony Columbia Pictures, Sony Imaging, Sony Finance / Insurance or whatever those branches are called... or for no one anyway.
Do Ubi employees get Ubi+?
EA EA play?
And more equally comparable, what do google/meta/apple people get? Benefits fitting from their ressort or is gifting all sorts of stuff (un)usual?

Either way, MS did cut it and if that is a deal breaker, enough to drag their employer into the PR mud, for probably not badly payed employees, it seems weird and sort of like fanboy hater drivel, this time from within though. Drop in the bucket arguments are imho more true for the individuals than for MS, where it effectively is thousands of dollars, just to be nice and for their own masquerade, driving user numbers up, which are equally useless than all the weirdos doing all sorts of deals to get a great deal for a sub, "great" numbers but hollow in any non fake bilance.

DJ12

Not being funny but all games companies are the same, I've worked for Playstation I know how horrific they can be
Still what Sony do to their employees doesn't make a jot of difference to what MS do to theirs.

And even if sony did exactly the same, are they one of the richest companies, maybe the richest (I guess Apple is still number 1 not checked in a long time) in the world making 70bn purchases with cash?

Mr.ODST

Still what Sony do to their employees doesn't make a jot of difference to what MS do to theirs.

And even if sony did exactly the same, are they one of the richest companies, maybe the richest (I guess Apple is still number 1 not checked in a long time) in the world making 70bn purchases with cash?
And McDonalds is one of the richest companies in the world and they have scaled back on what Employees receive regarding meals and discounts do you think there is an uproar about that, every company is doing it

Banjo64

cumsessed
All the time? That's why they are management. You don't run to the division president for everything. Especially day to day operations, or something like employee benefits.
I’m not sure what you mean sorry.

Everyone reports to and is supervised by somebody.

You think a decision affecting 240k people just sits with someone halfway down the company and they don’t discuss the impact of that with their manager, they don’t have supervision or anything?

And then that manager doesn’t have supervision with their manager etc etc?

We’re not talking about ordering stationary here :messenger_loudly_crying:

DJ12

And McDonalds is one of the richest companies in the world and they have scaled back on what Employees receive regarding meals and discounts do you think there is an uproar about that, every company is doing it
They give gamepass to people for free for using bing or being a 'brand ambassador'

But staff can get fucked? Give me a break with this excuse making and 'everyone being the same'

StereoVsn

Are these posts from real people?

This news is what pushed you to post this? Average MS employees losing free gamepass ultimate?
It’s the collection of things coming out from MS that seems petty and terrible PR.

• Raise prices for games in International markets beyond the inflation figures both on Steam snd Xbox store
  • Raise prices of consoles, significantly so in some markets
  • Raise GamePass prices in general
  • Unauthorized controller accessories shut down
  • Pull GamePass benefit from employees
  • Bad state of games on release
  • Full Screen Ads on Xbox dashboard

Basically it’s all been negative news seemingly as soon as Activision deal closed. They spent $80 bil on acquisitions and it looks like they are trying to pinch pennies to meet some internal metrics basically.

This in a company with $80+ billion a year in Profit.

Last edited:
I think it is interesting if such things are industry standards. If PS+ might be only for SIE, or also for Sony Mobile, Sony Columbia Pictures, Sony Imaging, Sony Finance / Insurance or whatever those branches are called... or for no one anyway.
Do Ubi employees get Ubi+?
EA EA play?
And more equally comparable, what do google/meta/apple people get? Benefits fitting from their ressort or is gifting all sorts of stuff (un)usual?

Either way, MS did cut it and if that is a deal breaker, enough to drag their employer into the PR mud, for probably not badly payed employees, it seems weird and sort of like fanboy hater drivel, this time from within though. Drop in the bucket arguments are imho more true for the individuals than for MS, where it effectively is thousands of dollars, just to be nice and for their own masquerade, driving user numbers up, which are equally useless than all the weirdos doing all sorts of deals to get a great deal for a sub, "great" numbers but hollow in any non fake bilance.
I can answer this part I've highlighted since I spoke with my friends who still work at ubi some time ago exactly on the topic of these perks. The answer is yes, they do receive free ubi+ sub on their Ubi Connect PC accounts which is tied to their work email, the free sub lapses when they leave the company. They also have the possibility of picking up physical games on their platform of choice based on points they accumulate throughout the year (this one can vary depending on the studio). They also receive at least the base game (physical or digital version) on the project they've worked on based on the time they spent on it. So for example if you were on it from the start you'd get the most pimped out Collector's that big Influencers like TheRelaxingEnd and some big gaming outlets like IGN usually get, but if you assisted just for a short time at the end of the project then you'll just get the base game or maybe the Gold edition that includes the season pass and some other DLC.

Edit: Here's an example of the exclusive collector's stuff that some mates who worked at the time at UBI received upon successfully shipping GR: Wildlands.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Again numbnutz, why does stopping xbox consoles or even the xbox division mean ms is giving up on gaming.

The Xbox division WAS the gaming division until they created Microsoft Gaming Division to encompass Xbox Games Studios, Xbox Operations, Cloud, ZeniMax and Activision/Blizzard, cuz at that point Xbox Division was such a large entity it really needed to be "restructured", thus the promotion of Sarah Bond and pseudo promotion of Phil Spencer.

Are you being purposely obtuse or are you just slow.
Killing the Xbox division when its the gaming division as Heisenberg was implying lead to one not even reaching to extrapolate that he means MS was killing their gaming division.....just cuz the Xbox division wasnt called gaming division doesnt mean it wasnt the gaming division, you also have to remember before Xbox division was Xbox division it was called the Microsoft Games division, they only changed it to Xbox Games Studios in 2019.

Oh… we’re back on the topic of deflection?

That thing that shills do?

That thing that you and the rest of the XBDF are doing in this very thread, and indeed in the very post where you cry about “deflection”?

Yeah… that’s now “projection,” that other thing people like you do when they want to manipulate a situation.

So tell me, how much of a heads-up did you guys get for this one? Because those unified talking points sure did pop up fast.
Trump really did a number on people - everything’s a “deep state conspiracy” lol.

StereoVsn

The Xbox division WAS the gaming division until they created Microsoft Gaming Division to encompass Xbox Games Studios, Xbox Operations, Cloud, ZeniMax and Activision/Blizzard, cuz at that point Xbox Division was such a large entity it really needed to be "restructured", thus the promotion of Sarah Bond and pseudo promotion of Phil Spencer.

Are you being purposely obtuse or are you just slow.
Killing the Xbox division when its the gaming division as Heisenberg was implying lead to one not even reaching to extrapolate that he means MS was killing their gaming division.....just cuz the Xbox division wasnt called gaming division doesnt mean it wasnt the gaming division, you also have to remember before Xbox division was Xbox division it was called the Microsoft Games division, they only changed it to Xbox Games Studios in 2019.
Thing is they could easily cut actual Xbox hardware from above, distribute games on other platforms, PC GamePass, maybe make a deal with Sony for GamePass available there and make possibly even more money without worrying about hardware.

Would they do they do that in this gen or next? Probably not, it beyond a few years future is fuzzy if Xbox hardware sales continue to tank.

If Xbox division can make extra few $bil selling software on Nintendo and Sony platforms and perhaps push GamePass more without incurring constant hardware related cost… someone in MS CFO office (not just Gaming division) is surely looking at it.

The latest moves of tightening up all hatches kind of point that way as it has to be for meeting some sort of internal metrics as overall cost to Microsoft as a company it’s immaterial… as opposed to a $70 bil acquisition and previous $8bil Zenimax one.

Pejo

If those employees want all the bells and whistles, maybe they should consider upgrading themselves to Employees Ultimate.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

The most significant bellwether is the fact they created a separate Microsoft Gaming division, other than Xbox. Otherwise, everything could just be a part of Xbox, which already was an active division.

Why feel the need to even create a separate Microsoft Gaming Division?

It's only for non-Xbox employees. Who cares? Most of them probably don't even play video games.

The economy is being squeezed right now with high interest rates. Every company is saving money where they can. And if they weren't, I would be concerned.

This is not a big deal.

It's only for non-Xbox employees. Who cares? Most of them probably don't even play video games.

The economy is being squeezed right now with high interest rates. Every company is saving money where they can. And if they weren't, I would be concerned.

This is not a big deal.
Nonsense. You must work for Microsoft to be saying that. Xbox Defence Force! No. Wait. This thread is about Microsoft employees being mad at Microsoft... Does not compute.

Look, the bottom line is that it is a clear human rights violation that 63 year old Margaret in accounts will lose her free access to Forza. Between this and Gaza, I don’t know where it all ends…

Topher

Gold Member
And? It’s only for those not permanent employees.

You misread.

"Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company started informing employees this week that in January 2024 the free Xbox Game Pass Ultimate benefit for permanent Microsoft employees will no longer be available."

This is not a big deal.

Not really a big deal, but just hilariously petty for a $2.7 trillion dollar company.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is extremely petty. They are taking away something that costs nothing to give so that maybe up to 100k people buy it at a discount. I mean sure you can maybe get 10M revenue from your employees instead of giving them a cool perk, but it will likely sit poorly with some and they will think things like: Should I get that task done for manager ______ now by working a few hours past 40 hours this week or go spend time with my kids? And then go spend time with their kids. 2-3 hours of work per employee costs MS more than Gamepass revenue for a year. That is the math they should be looking at, not what some cunt in finance came up with as a way to cut costs. But, as is always the case, the cunts in finance win.

sinnergy

You misread.

"Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company started informing employees this week that in January 2024 the free Xbox Game Pass Ultimate benefit for permanent Microsoft employees will no longer be available."

Not really a big deal, but just hilariously petty for a $2.7 trillion dollar company.

Says this in the paragraph underneath:

I understand that Xbox employees will continue to keep the benefit, but the vast majority of Microsoft employees who aren’t part of Xbox / Microsoft Gaming will see the benefit disappear next year.

So, it’s only for employees of Xbox / gaming that will keep this benefit . It’s their work btw .. so I agree! Why give this to all employees..

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Says this in the paragraph underneath:

I understand that Xbox employees will continue to keep the benefit, but the vast majority of Microsoft employees who aren’t part of Xbox / Microsoft Gaming will see the benefit disappear next year.

So, it’s only for employees of Xbox / gaming that will keep this benefit . It’s their work btw ..

Correct. Still an incredibly petty thing to do for a company as rich as Microsoft.

sinnergy

Correct. Still an incredibly petty thing to do for a company as rich as Microsoft.
I don’t know .. why would you give away all this money ? To people who don’t actively help creating a better Xbox experience? And because they are rich, it’s okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom