• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft no longer offers a $1 Game Pass trial

Topher

Gold Member
Your answered a question i didnt ask..there is no price increase atm.
I dont need your salty predictions about what will happen in the future. I was talking about here and now there is no price increase.
Not gonna reply anymore. Have a nice day.

Cry About It Captain Kirk GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I locked in Ultimate till 2024 2 years ago.. not too bad.

The xbox live method still works right? That's just about $1 a month. Still nothing by most standards.

Yes gold to GPU conversions is not effected by this, they're just ending the trial $1 month for new accounts.

Topher

Gold Member
Correct.

But you can make it even cheaper if you use VPN to get a different regions XBL.

I wrote this for another topic a while ago but all the steps should still work to the best of my knowledge.

Right now, CDKeys has 12 month Gold for $32 only, from the Turkey region.

1. Purchase [cdkeys.com] 12-Month Xbox Live Gold Membership (Turkey - Email Delivery).
2. Create [windscribe.com] Free Account on Windscribe VPN and Download App or Chrome Extension [windscribe.com].
3. Connect to Turkey on Windscribe VPN or using your own VPN service/app.
4. Redeem [microsoft.com] your Xbox Live Gold code(s) without agreeing to recurring billing.
You can stack up to three years of Xbox Live Gold.
5. Disconnect VPN.
6. Join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [xbox.com] by purchasing your first month for $1 ($14.99 if you joined Game Pass before for $1).
Don't enable auto renewal when asked.
When you're redeeming the Gold, you *MAY* get asked about getting an extra bonus month of Gold.
DENY THAT.
The reason is that it will fuck up the 36 month conversion, you can stack a max of 36 months.

Question about that. I was looking this up earlier and I came across this conversion chart:

This shows that the conversion isn't one to one. So does your "trick" make it so that a full 36 months of XLG becomes 36 months of GPU?

Edit: Ah....found the answer. Yes it does. Cool. The conversion is for codes redeemed after joining GP.

Last edited:

skit_data

Surprised they’ve left the option open for so long.

I can’t let go of the feeling that them doing this is somehow related to the news regarding the ABK deal.
Satya going ”Lets start tying up the loose ends economically on Gamepass” because when the Activision and Blizzard titles hit Gamepass those loose ends can become a lot of money if subscription rate skyrockets.

It will be interesting to see how long they’ll wait before increasing the price of the service (inevitble at this point, they will add games that make a fuckton of money yearly with ABK).
I think the smart thing to do would be to offer more options/tiers because personally I think there will be a tipping point where people with no interest in the Activision, Blizzard and big sports games (that’s me) rather pay for only 1st party games, third party games and indies, or any combination of the three.

SkylineRKR

I've used it for 2 years. I did one year each time.

I felt it would end someday, yet I didn't sub many years. I barely used GP last year so its not a huge loss for me. I typically play a handful of games for a few weeks and then play something that isn't on GP and Extra anyway. Right now I want to start with RE4 and the games I beat before it were Tactics Ogre and Forspoken, so yeah.

Wait, the conversion trick still works, no paso nada then.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Question about that. I was looking this up earlier and I came across this conversion chart:

This shows that the conversion isn't one to one. So does your "trick" make it so that a full 36 months of XLG becomes 36 months of GPU?

Edit: Ah....found the answer. Yes it does. Cool. The conversion is for codes redeemed after joining GP.

Yes sir, you got it.

If you already have an on-going GP running, then any Gold you convert gets pro-rated (eg 1 month Gold becomes 20 days of GPU and so forth).

The Gold > GPU is only 1 : 1 if you use it when your active service lapses.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
acastro_STK048_04.jpg

Microsoft has stopped its $1 trial offer for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and PC Game Pass. The trial has been available for years, with brief periods where it wasn’t always available in certain markets, and it now looks like Microsoft is considering new promotions instead:

“We have stopped our previous introductory offer for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and PC Game Pass and are evaluating different marketing promotions for new members in the future,”

says Kari Perez, head of global communications at Xbox, in a statement to The Verge.

The $1 trial has allowed people to sign up to Xbox Game Pass for a month, before the full Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription kicks in at $14.99 per month or $9.99 a month for the PC- or console-only subscriptions. It’s been a great way to recommend the service to a friend or family member, but we’ll now have to wait to see what these “different marketing promotions” are for new members.

Mr Hyde

You don’t need to pay $10 a month to demo games on PC. 😂

I'm not paying 10$ monthly for Game Pass, I only sub a couple of times per year when there is something I wanna try out. I'm not too fond with subscription services because I like buying physical. And if you're referring to Steams 2 hour refund policy I don't think it's enough for me to make a decision (if the game is not outright broken). I need a couple of more hours to be able to make a purchase decision. Game Pass is very convenient in that case as it has a lot to offer that I'm not sure if I wanna buy permanently. But I don't game that much on PC anyway, I'm more of a console gamer so that's why Game Pass and PC in general are very sporadic for me.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I was waiting for the $1 gamepass to show up a few months ago after loading up Xbox Live gold for the conversion trick, but it never showed up, so I just got a month of Gamepass at regular price and converted years of XBL to GP anyways. Still cheaper to do it that way even if the conversion isn't a dollar.

I swear to God I'll buy a PlayStation if they nerf Microsoft Rewards

Start saving up for that PS5, then. They'll never make Rewards completely meaningless, but I can see them putting a monthly limit on total amount of Reward points you can redeem, and maybe that limit changing depending on your plan type (ad-based, GP, GPU, Family Plan).

Microsoft want to start actually making money off this service. Now we'll get to see how much people really value it. I'm sure there will be some drop-off due to these changes but, if the content & quality are there, things should work out in the end.

DrDamn

So just to clarify - when my GPU expires in a week I can still let it expire, stack up 3 years of Gold and then upgrade back to GPU (for £10.99 rather than £1) and it will convert to 3 years of GPU?

bender

What time is it?
Start saving up for that PS5, then. They'll never make Rewards completely meaningless, but I can see them putting a monthly limit on total amount of Reward points you can redeem, and maybe that limit changing depending on your plan type (ad-based, GP, GPU, Family Plan).

Microsoft want to start actually making money off this service. Now we'll get to see how much people really value it. I'm sure there will be some drop-off due to these changes but, if the content & quality are there, things should work out in the end.

Microsoft Rewards already has a yearly limit for the amount of points you can redeem. I think it's 500,000. Also that program is separate from from XBox so I wouldn't worry about limits based on Gamepass tier membership. I'd wager the vast majority of Rewards Points are spent on something other than XBox/Gamepass.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Using your example (if tacos cost $1 each) you were previously able to get 4 for $3 on Tuesday. Now you can get 3 for $3 on Tuesday. Is that or is that not a price increase?

That's not what my example said lol. I said if I buy tacos on any *other* day besides Tuesday, it doesn't mean the price has increased.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When people talk price increases, people typically talk about regular price. Not promo deals.

If a car costs $30,000 and there's a dealer/manufacturer rebate for $2,000 making it $28,000 if you do it, the regular price is still $30,000. If the rebate disappears, nobody will claim the price went up.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I dont know if the price went up, these car, taco, houses analogies are not helping. Could someone explain it to me in freddo bars?
BFjWAUz.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah they literally had this promo for what, like 3-4 years now? Eventually it was going to end. And yeah you need to learn, whenever Xbox makes a decision, it's always the wrong one, and Sony's always the right one, even if they're the same decision

Always? Sony was widely criticized when they raised their game prices to $70. Microsoft ended up doing the same thing. Sony's bundles......and then Microsoft's bundles. Did we get the same energy towards Microsoft for those who were so critical of Sony's decisions? Hardly.

I'm still waiting for the 1 dollar playstation plus subscription to drop.

Waiting for Game Pass annual rates to drop as well. 🤷‍♂️

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Anyone with a functioning brain knew this was going to happen. Even a company like MS can't continue to give away their subscriptions. Hopefully this will light a fire under Microsoft to step up to the plate and start offering compelling exclusives.

Last edited:
Microsoft Rewards already has a yearly limit for the amount of points you can redeem. I think it's 500,000. Also that program is separate from from XBox so I wouldn't worry about limits based on Gamepass tier membership. I'd wager the vast majority of Rewards Points are spent on something other than XBox/Gamepass.

They might restructure how that works and set a limit specifically to how many are usable on Game Pass. Just because there are people who use them for things outside of that, doesn't mean there aren't people who concentrate their points towards the service.

Gotta account for everything, more or less.

They nerfed the Microsoft Rewards in Canada sooooo hard.
I completely stopped trying.

What did they do to MS Rewards in Canada?

Non-Canadian, btw.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So just to clarify - when my GPU expires in a week I can still let it expire, stack up 3 years of Gold and then upgrade back to GPU (for £10.99 rather than £1) and it will convert to 3 years of GPU?
This is the important question. The $1 deal was nothing. The 1:1 Gold to Ultimate conversion is the real deal. I still have another 1.5yrs left on this 3-year stack. Hopefully the deal will still be active at that point. When you already have GP Ultimate the conversion ratio isn't as good, or else I would just top it off now.

I mean this thread is full of people acting like this is the end of Game Pass and they're going to be hemorrhaging subscribers for this. Why aren't you calling those people sensitive? Oh wait I know why
I mean...if a subscripion service would be "hemorrhaging subscribers" because it doesn't have a 1 dollar plan per month, when it has products that cost around 60 or 70 dollars per product when you by them separately, then those people don't like videogames in the first place. We never had so many games so easily accessible as we have today. Even if Gamepass increases to 10 dollars a month it would still be cheap to what it offers us. And i say this for both PS Plus and Gamepass tbh.

How spoiled can one be?

This forum doesn't act like it's mostly men in their 30's and 40's, lmao. You guys had to pay for every single thing not that long ago. Gamepass not being 1 dollar is nothing tragic.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

dem

They might restructure how that works and set a limit specifically to how many are usable on Game Pass. Just because there are people who use them for things outside of that, doesn't mean there aren't people who concentrate their points towards the service.

Non-Canadian, btw.

The points you got for doing anything went through the floor. Things that used to be worth 1000 points get you like 100 points now. I used to earn thousands of points just playing on Xbox.

I think the daily "play something on gamepass" reward is like 3 points now.
THREE

I think it used to be 15. And then you used to get another 15 just got logging into the app every day. Thats gone. What used to be 30 points is now 3.

And they did that to evvvvvverything.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Seems to me that MS Rewards is designed to beef up Bing so as long as Google is the dominant search engine I think MS Rewards will be a viable option.
Exactly. Bing rewards (now Microsoft Rewards) have been around for ages, they just keep adding more earning opportunities to other parts of MS to it.

FlyyGOD

Always? Sony was widely criticized when they raised their game prices to $70. Microsoft ended up doing the same thing. Sony's bundles......and then Microsoft's bundles. Did we get the same energy towards Microsoft for those who were so critical of Sony's decisions? Hardly.

Waiting for Game Pass annual rates to drop as well. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry for the slang. Translation meaning waiting for 1 dollar playstation plus trial to be offered.

bender

What time is it?

Non-Canadian, btw.

They restructure all of the time by points allocation for activities. We've seen a ton of movement related to the amount of points paid out for Gamepass activities the past year. They also regularly adjust what can be redeemed and the price of the redemptions. That said, the majority of points you can earn happen outside of Xbox and Gamepass. It's mostly a tool to promote Bing and advertise. It's why I don't think your idea would come to pass. The Microsoft Rewards program has grown rapidly of late, with the push to add more and more countries. Obviously there are people who apply their points to Xbox and Gamepass, I'm one of them, but again I'd wager that is the minority.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
yk how is it really a 1 dollar deal if you still need to pay 180 dollars for 3 years of XBL anyways? unless you can skip that part?

Topher

Gold Member

You are not clicking on those individually I hope. Put them all in a collection and open them all at the same time. Mentioned this above.....

Someone else here (can't remember) gave me this tip.

Save a bunch bing links in Edge collection. Once a day, click on that collection.

jUFFg10.png

Click the three dots and then "Open all in new window". No more spamming the alphabet. Saves a lot of time and easy points.

Antwix

You are not clicking on those individually I hope. Put them all in a collection and open them all at the same time. Mentioned this above.....
Oh no, of course not. I just do a right-click > open all in tabs. I actually didn't know about the collection feature.

Top Bottom