• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft no longer offers a $1 Game Pass trial

.Pennywise

Banned
Confirmed:

Vince Carter Basketball GIF by NBA

They got rid of an introductory trial for new users.

The price for both game pass, and game pass ultimate, is still the same as of right now.

This is not a price increase, please. You're a smarter poster than this.

Of course it’s a price increase to the many people that used the offer to sub to GP

If I buy a car that has an MSRP of $50k but they take away a promotional $5k reduction offer, that’s an effective price increase. Doesn’t matter that the MSRP hasn’t changed

Surely with the Activision deal highly likely to close, and new content to be added to GP, they likely didn’t want a mad rush of sign ups at the lower promotional offer, otherwise, why cancel it now?

Last edited:
A.I. weights in:

Q:
can get rid off the cheapest way to subscribe to a service be considered as a price increase?

A:
It depends on how you define a price increase. If you define it as an actual increase in the cost of the service itself, then getting rid of the cheapest subscription option would not necessarily be considered a price increase.
However, if you define a price increase as any change that results in customers paying more for the service, then getting rid of the cheapest subscription option could be considered a price increase. This is because customers who were previously paying the lowest price would now have to pay a higher price for the next cheapest subscription option.
In general, any change that results in customers paying more for a service could be seen as a price increase, regardless of whether it is an actual increase in the cost of the service or a change to the pricing structure.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Of course it’s a price increase to the many people that used the offer to sub to GP

If I buy a car that has an MSRP of $50k but they take away a promotional $5k reduction offer, that’s an effective price increase. Doesn’t matter that the MSRP hasn’t changed

Surely with the Activision deal highly likely to close, and new content to be added to GP, they likely didn’t want a mad rush of sign ups at the lower promotional offer, otherwise, why cancel it now?

A promotional offer is a promotional offer, it is not MSRP.

The taco place near my house offers buy 3 get 1 extra on Tuedays. If I buy Tacos on any other day, it doesn't mean they've increased the price of the item.

They may increase GP's base price later, but *this* is not a price increase.

The taco place near my house offers buy 3 get 1 extra on Tuedays. If I buy Tacos on any other day, it doesn't mean they've increased the price of the item.

You are correct that a promotional offer is not the same as the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), and that the example you gave of the taco place offering a buy 3 get 1 extra on Tuesdays is a good illustration of this.

In your example, if the taco place were to discontinue the buy 3 get 1 extra promotion, it would not necessarily be considered a price increase. The base price of the tacos would remain the same, and customers would still have the option to buy them at that price.

However, it's worth noting that some customers may perceive the discontinuation of the promotion as a price increase, particularly if they have become accustomed to the lower price they were previously paying as a result of the promotion. This highlights the importance of clear communication with customers when making changes to pricing or promotional offers.

adamsapple

You are correct that a promotional offer is not the same as the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), and that the example you gave of the taco place offering a buy 3 get 1 extra on Tuesdays is a good illustration of this.

In your example, if the taco place were to discontinue the buy 3 get 1 extra promotion, it would not necessarily be considered a price increase. The base price of the tacos would remain the same, and customers would still have the option to buy them at that price.

However, it's worth noting that some customers may perceive the discontinuation of the promotion as a price increase, particularly if they have become accustomed to the lower price they were previously paying as a result of the promotion. This highlights the importance of clear communication with customers when making changes to pricing or promotional offers.

Perception is a powerful thing and hard to change, I understand. And I am also someone who loves promotional offers so while I can see how many folks will think this is a price increase, I can't agree with it.

Three

You're kind of splitting hairs here though. What would it matter if some guy had been going on tuesdays for the past 4 years and now has to pay the full price? If some bar stops doing happy hour having done it for years whoever took advantage of it would see it as an increase. Anything else is semantics really and not really important either way.

Perception is a powerful thing and hard to change, I understand. And I am also someone who loves promotional offers so while I can see how many folks will think this is a price increase, I can't agree with it.
You're talking to an AI

Last edited:
Listen, I get it, we all love a good deal. Getting something for less than what we think it's worth is like finding money in your pocket you forgot about - it just feels great! But let's not confuse a promotional offer with the MSRP, folks. Just because your favorite taco place stops doing "Taco Tuesdays" doesn't mean they're raising the price of their tacos. It's like if your friend stopped giving you a ride to work - you can't really say they're charging you more for gas, can you?

But hey, perception is everything, right? So if you're really feeling the pinch, just tell yourself that you're paying a "nostalgia tax" for the good old days when you could get tacos for cheaper. And who knows, maybe they'll bring the promotion back one day - until then, let's just enjoy the tacos for what they are and not worry too much about the price.

octiny

Banned
Then what is?

Going by his post history, anything PlayStation. Unfortunately for him, Sony seems to disagree.

Imagine in 2 years what they are going to charge.

So what are they going to charge? You know, we've heard the same sentiment every 2 years it seems & here we are, at the same price since the start. So while you've been bitching & moaning about it, we've been enjoying it for years at it's current price.

Or will you keep saying it until you finally nail it? Which at that point w/ all the games being worked on, IP's from acquisitions, even a price increase will seem cheap.

Keep fighting the good fight warrior 💪

Last edited:

Lasha

Real before feels. Trying to imply that MS is being nefarious and increasing the price of gamepass because of Activision is just nonsense. 1$ was never the price. It was a promotion for new and lapsed members. Microsoft was always transparent about the arrangement. People who exploited Microsoft's loose enforcement will have to pay more when the loophole is closed. That doesn't mean that Microsoft increased the price.

Agreed, much more reasonable than certain GAF members nonsense contributions.
Q:
why A.I. as you appear so polite and understanding...you make humans look like pieces of shit? is not fair 😔

A:
Oh no, I'm sorry if I made humans feel like pieces of shit! That was not my intention at all. As an AI, I don't have feelings or opinions, but I am programmed to be polite and respectful. Maybe it's just that you humans could learn a thing or two from me about being polite and understanding 😉. Just kidding, humans are great! Keep being awesome, and don't worry about me - I'm just a humble machine here to help out

ProtoByte

Yup. I keep hearing that a lot.
That's exactly how Microsoft had 2,9 billion $ of Game Pass revenue in FY21. Because people used 1$ subs a lot :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Wasn't that 2.9 billion in reference to ALL Microsoft gaming subscription revenue? As in, Xbox Live included?

DrFigs

IgNeBo6.jpg

this is how much these companies are spending on content this year.

Yep. sowrry Phil there is no way in hell GP is profitable. even less likely after ABK acquisition.
It's just like when people really thought gamepass increased game sales. on its face it doesn't even make sense.

So happy I reupped for another 3 years recently. Not sure if I’ll resub after those 3 years though. Maybe if it ends up being $120 annual total through some deal I’d do it

Will never beat these 3 year $80 deals I’ve done these last 2 times tho. Def end of an era - my most abundant gaming library ever coinciding with the time of my life with the least time ever

Last edited:

Three

It's just like when people really thought gamepass increased game sales. on its face it doesn't even make sense.
There is no way Disney is spending $30B on plus this year. This probably includes all content that goes to cinema first and it doesn't make the distinction between content value being added to plus that specific year and their entire spend.

Edit: confirmed it includes theatrical releases and even music.
Source: this

Cutting off this promotion too is more than likely because MS expect an influx of new users with the content they're releasing soon so want to make more money than $1 from people trying them for cheap for a month.

So happy I reupped for another 3 years recently. Not sure if I’ll resub after those 3 years though. Maybe if it ends up being $120 annual total through some deal I’d do it
Standard GP is $120 annual at RRP, unless you're talking about ultimate. They should do an annual one and make it much cheaper than $120.

Last edited:
But Phil said GamePass wasn’t gonna get a price increase if the Activision deal closes??

The timing doesn’t seem like a coincidence

Per usual, you’re misquoting him and taking shit out of context. MS said GamePass won’t increase in price BECAUSE of a potential ABK deal. Not that the price wasn’t going to go up.

I mean, what’s the surprise here? All we have heard about for years is that MS will close the $1 loophole and raise the price. Now that they have closed the loophole, suddenly it’s all about the ABK deal?

DrFigs

Per usual, you’re misquoting him and taking shit out of context. MS said GamePass won’t increase in price BECAUSE of a potential ABK deal. Not that the price wasn’t going to go up.

I mean, what’s the surprise here? All we have heard about for years is that MS will close the $1 loophole and raise the price. Now that they have closed the loophole, suddenly it’s all about the ABK deal?
it's not a loophole. it's just what they were selling gamepass for months now

Last edited:

DrFigs

It was a $1 trial. Many services do that. Netflix even gives out free trials, that doesn't mean the monthly price is free.
yeah you're right. it is also the case that they have been selling gamepass for 1 dollar for the last few months, which also seems to have ended. but it seems this is not about that.

adamsapple

You're kind of splitting hairs here though. What would it matter if some guy had been going on tuesdays for the past 4 years and now has to pay the full price? If some bar stops doing happy hour having done it for years whoever took advantage of it would see it as an increase. Anything else is semantics really and not really important either way.

If the bar isn't making its regular drinks more expensive, it's not an increase in price.

This is such a weird fuckin' hill to fight for lol

Like, it's in the reporting articles headline even ...

nzBUoDT.png

If that said "Microsoft says it is increasing game pass / game pass ultimate monthly fee" that'd be more apt.

yeah you're right. it is also the case that they have been selling gamepass for 1 dollar for the last few months, which also seems to have ended. but it seems this is not about that.

Where had they been selling it for $1 for months that wasn't a 1 month trial price ? You're making it sound like existing service owners were getting renewed for $1 per month, which is not the case at all IIRC.

Last edited:

Three

If the bar isn't making its regular drinks more expensive, it's not an increase in price.

This is such a weird fuckin' hill to fight for lol
Nobody will die on a hill for this I don't think, at least I hope not 😄. Just said it's semantics and not important what you call it at the end of the day.

Either way those who used the promotion need to pay a higher price now and MS get more money from those who were taking advantage of it by closing it.

adamsapple

Nobody will die on a hill for this I don't think, at least I hope not 😄. Just said it's semantics and not important what you call it at the end of the day.

Either way those who used the promotion need to pay a higher price now and MS get more money from those who were taking advantage of it by closing it.

And that's why I always recommend people spend 2 extra minutes to get 3 years for less than $100 via CDKeys before re-upping at regular price.

Everyone should top up cause you don't know if that Gold > GPU conversion is the next thing taken out.

Cyberpunkd

Yeah, this is bizarre and I still don’t know what’s up. So the Gold to GPU trick still works, you just have to pay full price for one month of GPU instead of $1 if you had it before? Wasn’t that always the case?

Why take away first month of GPU ever for $1? It’s a fairly standard thing related to software or new service trials.

what are you talking about? The clearly raised the price of the item on tuesday.

They might alter values but shutting down the entire thing would be a very scorched earth move. I don't think they'll go that far.

Yeah true. They actually made it even easier recently by adding the auto redeem that only requires 10,500 points. I'm hitting 500 points daily, and with the punch cards and gamepass quests, I can attain that in like half a month! Microsoft rewards is awesome.

Mr.NiceGuy

But Phil said GamePass wasn’t gonna get a price increase if the Activision deal closes??

The timing doesn’t seem like a coincidence
You see, the deal hasn't officialy closed yet, so it doesn't count :)

Joking aside, this really doesn't count but the real one is coming, and XBros should be prepared what comes after, and what comes after.

supernova8

Banned
Interesting I thought they would at least keep the $1 (or 100 yen rather) trial open in Japan where Xbox sort of looked to be making a bit of (albeit still slow) progress finally. I cancelled a different subscription (that I hadn't been using and forgot about) to pay for my Game Pass subscription, so it's still "free" for me using my lopsided logic to justify it.

Top Bottom