• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft had fewer units at launch because they were waiting for AMD specific technology

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Know what makes all this so funny....

The PS4 Pro having specs from Vega.

Sony, Cerny have access to ....future ....tech but MS had to wait until the very last minute for current tech? Pro launched in 2016, the Vega launched the following year.

But MS had to wait....for current year tech.

Alrighty then.

THE:MILKMAN

Know what makes all this so funny....

The PS4 Pro having specs from Vega.

Sony, Cerny have access to ....future ....tech but MS had to wait until the very last minute for current tech? Pro launched in 2016, the Vega launched the following year.

But MS had to wait....for current year tech.

Alrighty then.

Oh yeah....PS4 Pro dev kit was certified in December 2015 (MIC) and when the dev documents leaked in April 2016 they confirmed the specs of said dev kit were final and it could be used for game production and certification.

So the hardware was final 11 months before launch and with double the CUs on a new 16nm node with future tech not coming to PC until August 2017. No it is a mid-gen upgrade so doesn't count here!

I think Sony had their tech nailed down earlier than Microsoft did. That's not too shocking to envisage.

To be fair, MS and AMD were pretty tied in with other over RDNA 2 specs and tech. Seeing now how much integration there is with MS tech such as VRS, Mesh Shaders, Direct RT, Direct ML, SFS etc, I have no doubt it took a little longer to get to the point where all that was finalized.
You can see how MS has been working hard to make Direct X the default API for PC.
MS has ingrained Direct X 12 U and it's new extensions into both AMD and Nvidias new cards.
I think the XSX was just as important to MS from an API point of view.
Looking at it now, with both AMD and Nvidia promoting the new DX12 extensions such as VRS, Mesh Shaders, SFS amoungst others, and these also being on the XSX/S, I can see how from a development point of view, this could be the default third party development environment.
Will be interesting to see if this proves correct or not.

huraga

Banned
I don´t be sure if the people in this forum know that before the launch of a product you have previous demo versions and usually those versiones don´t represent the final hardware.

I know it because I´m working from 10 years ago in one manufacturer company of computers and we get demo versions from our ODM from china before get the final version.

Many times we changed in the last moment the cpu or we made other improves.

So, its very possible that phil had a very early version of Xbox and they made some changes in the hardware in the last moment.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I also think its awful hard to lay claim to anything until the generation really gets going.

That's hopeful thinking.

There's a long precedent of this kind of thing being set early on. Don't get fooled by pr narratives, the results are clear: if there's RT xbox has a slight advantadge, if there's no RT ps5 has a slight advantadge.

DinoD

Too bad most of us don't live in Bumfuckistan. In the U.S. I still can't find a Series X and damn near got harassed scurrying out of Walmart with my Series S.

You should go and see some parts of your county mate. Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky, just to name a few. Not an excuse in a country considering itself as a beacon of this and that. And yeah. Your mentality does fit into the narrative (or stereotype) of an average XBox owner.

Regards

reinking

Gold Member
Phil Spencer said:
We started manufacturing late summer,” reveals Spencer. “We were a little bit later than the competition, because we were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip. We were a little bit behind where they were, where Sony was, in terms of building units.

Bear in mind Microsoft launched before Sony albeit by only 2-7 days.
Wasn't this at the same time many on this board and the MS twitter Army was spreading FUD that Sony was having manufacturing issues and having to cut production?

That's hopeful thinking.

There's a long precedent of this kind of thing being set early on. Don't get fooled by pr narratives, the results are clear: if there's RT xbox has a slight advantadge, if there's no RT ps5 has a slight advantadge.
Time will tell. More to games than just fps and graphic showcasing. MS has a long way to go to catch up to the Sony quality of 1st party games, and Sony needs to make sure they don't shoehorn themselves into the formula for every game.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
1Jx595h.gif

supernova8

Banned
Honestly in the exact same way it applies to PS3 having the super duper secret sauce cell processor that was useless (if not an obstacle to good performance) until later in the generation, unless there are games that actually take advantage of these newer fancy features, they are worthless.

sinnergy

Honestly in the exact same way it applies to PS3 having the super duper secret sauce cell processor that was useless (if not an obstacle to good performance) until later in the generation, unless there are games that actually take advantage of these newer fancy features, they are worthless.
But fans praised PS3 for its graphics, and in later titels it showed .. like the uncharted games for example! So series X is on a route to dominate in that department 😎

supernova8

Banned
But fans praised PS3 for its graphics, and in later titels it showed .. like the uncharted games for example! So series X is on a route to dominate in that department 😎

Well yeah if Series X does dominate in the graphics department I'll be more than happy to applaud them for it :p

In terms of the system itself I don't really have much in the way of complaints. I just wish they'd had just even 1 game to say "look at our absolute fucking beast of a machine" instead of "look at all these old games you can now play in 4K"

sinnergy

Well yeah if Series X does dominate in the graphics department I'll be more than happy to applaud them for it :p

In terms of the system itself I don't really have much in the way of complaints. I just wish they'd had just even 1 game to say "look at our absolute fucking beast of a machine" instead of "look at all these old games you can now play in 4K"
They are finding their way again with first party titles , look at all the studios they bought , but it will take time ... even more now because of COVID. , a whole year down the drain world wide 🌎 🦠

Last edited:
Not sure why everyone is so dismissive of what Phil is saying. He didn’t say the chip was finalized a few months before production at the final hour. We don’t know the timeline for when PS5 and SX/S were finalized, and if there were a few month difference, than it makes sense that everything with MS was pushed to the right. For all we know the chip was finalized a year ago, perhaps a couple months after the PS5 SoC, and therefore the time of production was different.

COVID-45

Banned
You should go and see some parts of your county mate. Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky, just to name a few. Not an excuse in a country considering itself as a beacon of this and that. And yeah. Your mentality does fit into the narrative (or stereotype) of an average XBox owner.

Regards

You don't even need to travel to those shit holes to experience them. Just take a look at our very own Politics forum if you're a masochist.

Also, as evidence by this thread, PlayStation fans are fucking idiots also.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
They had less units because they know they won't sell as many, because people have PC's that will play their games.

Nah they just don't have the added time for production to scale up. As noted, having more rdna2 features is a long gain but short pain. It's worth it imo and thanks Phil for calling it straight, no excuses no hiding facts.

Wasn't this at the same time many on this board and the MS twitter Army was spreading FUD that Sony was having manufacturing issues and having to cut production?

Probably but they have moved on to this interview. Tomorrow/soon they'll probably be another interview from Phil with another angle....

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Isn't "late summer" september ? It seem awfully late to begin production for a november worldwide release...

TBiddy

Christ, this thread is embarrasing.

There's nothing controversial in the interview. Clearly, Microsoft were waiting for something from AMD. It could be big, it could be small or it could be something concerning the multi-use for the APU as servers. He simply states that Microsoft started production a "bit later" (2 weeks? a month? who knows?) than Sony, and yet we have 6 pages of gloating fanboys acting like 14 year old kids, who recently discovered circle jerking.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Christ, this thread is embarrasing.

There's nothing controversial in the interview. Clearly, Microsoft were waiting for something from AMD. It could be big, it could be small or it could be something concerning the multi-use for the APU as servers. He simply states that Microsoft started production a "bit later" (2 weeks? a month? who knows?) than Sony, and yet we have 6 pages of gloating fanboys acting like 14 year old kids, who recently discovered circle jerking.
What people also need to remember is that being month later in end of last year could easily change into 3-4 months of this year if they were unlucky.
First China was in lock down which means that if they were finalizing manufacturing process then they had to wait for them to open. Then lock downs in many countries and certification offices not working, early times of remote work when companies didn't had everything ironed out (just when quick communication was needed most).
Obviously all that problem could happen for both companies, but even week of head start could be enough to finish everything before world gone mad (In most lucky for Sony and unlucky for MS scenario).

How lucky are we that we have the luxury to discuss this silly stuff! We have three great systems and some amazing creators with big games on the way.

When full next-gen games hit, nobody should be unhappy.

Isn't "late summer" september ? It seem awfully late to begin production for a november worldwide release...

It is actually when I believe both PS4/Xbox One/One X started production (late Aug/Sept for Nov release in respective launch years). There were rumours in early/mid May that Microsoft had started XSX production but it was never confirmed. Jim Ryan I remember stated in a interview in June that PS5 was being made already and in a poll at Era a number of owners are saying they have May build dates for PS5.

Wooo it's cool so many engineers here.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Sry but some people need definitely another Hobby gaming is not for you.
Pre damaging sales numbers pls what!
Never heard so many bs. SRY
Without Phil Spencer Xbox where Dead and without competition... I think I don't talk any more about that future here.

TBiddy

What people also need to remember is that being month later in end of last year could easily change into 3-4 months of this year if they were unlucky.
First China was in lock down which means that if they were finalizing manufacturing process then they had to wait for them to open. Then lock downs in many countries and certification offices not working, early times of remote work when companies didn't had everything ironed out (just when quick communication was needed most).
Obviously all that problem could happen for both companies, but even week of head start could be enough to finish everything before world gone mad (In most lucky for Sony and unlucky for MS scenario).

Indeed. Microsoft waited for a reason. What the reason was, is unknown, but if I were a betting man, I'd wager it was something with DirectX Raytracing support.

Top Bottom