• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft had fewer units at launch because they were waiting for AMD specific technology

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is it not? If it is why is it a crime to promote that? That is his job, not sure why that is such a shot across the bow. Is the PS5? Everything I've read on here has been speculation about it and nothing definitive. My guess is your panties don't get so tangled with all the RDNA3 PS5 talk on here.

There's no official person at Sony pushing the RDNA3 talk on the PS5. And with it here I ignore it because it's stupid and baseless.

No. How does one measure demand? They likely made all that they could. Both ms and sony know launch consoles are always going to sell out.

These companies have ways to measure demand for products before they release. It's standard practice.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I think what Phil refers to with being behind Sony is that Sony got their APU-based (but possibly not completely final clocks etc) dev kit out in April/May 2019 after the first Wired article and Microsoft got their GDK out in November 2019 but being 4 or so months later didn't affect the manufacturing of retail consoles almost a year later.

Many people argue these dev kits from 2019 were really early and/or PC-Based and I disagree. Look at the GDK and pre-production retail XSX from Austin Evans visit to Redmond in early March 2020. The dev kit is all but identical to the Scorpio dev kit and I can't see a unit that small having anything other the real deal APU/RAM. These units demoed RT and auto HDR etc. Couldn't be very early/PC-based HW IMO.

pervyj-vzglyad-na-devkit-xbox-series-x-pochti-polnaya-kopiya-versii-xbox-one-x-dlya-razrabotchikov.png

This means it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine the boss Phil getting a pre-production retail cased XSX a couple of months earlier. Compared to all previous Xbox consoles Microsoft have been far better prepared from what I've seen and read which makes me wonder why Phil even made the comments he did.

The idea of waiting for some last minute thing is insane, imagine how long it take to a design be tested, validated. VRS, Mesh Shaders and everything else are part of the DX12U feature set and both consoles support it. The secret sauce from Microsoft is the bigger SoC with 16 extra CU's to achieve 12TF. Sony doesn't say they support VRS because it has it under their own Api and probably have other terminology, the new Geometry Engine (GE) block of the RDNA 2 technology needs VRS by design.
We don't know alot about both chips still.
But if the XSX SOC required more hardware alterations to certain functions, functions that the PS5 doesn't have, it wouldn't be crazy to assume it's going to take a bit longer.
For instance we know the Xbox has changes on the GPU to allow for 4 and 8 bit INT. We know that the XSX has both VRS and Mesh Shaders, which both require alterations to the GPU over stock.
And the biggest give away is that AMD has only just been ready to release their RDNA 2 cards as well, and the lack of supply would indicate similar issues to MS.

I think what Phil refers to with being behind Sony is that Sony got their APU-based (but possibly not completely final clocks etc) dev kit out in April/May 2019 after the first Wired article and Microsoft got their GDK out in November 2019 but being 4 or so months later didn't affect the manufacturing of retail consoles almost a year later.

Many people argue these dev kits from 2019 were really early and/or PC-Based and I disagree. Look at the GDK and pre-production retail XSX from Austin Evans visit to Redmond in early March 2020. The dev kit is all but identical to the Scorpio dev kit and I can't see a unit that small having anything other the real deal APU/RAM. These units demoed RT and auto HDR etc. Couldn't be very early/PC-based HW IMO.

pervyj-vzglyad-na-devkit-xbox-series-x-pochti-polnaya-kopiya-versii-xbox-one-x-dlya-razrabotchikov.png

This means it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine the boss Phil getting a pre-production retail cased XSX a couple of months earlier. Compared to all previous Xbox consoles Microsoft have been far better prepared from what I've seen and read which makes me wonder why Phil even made the comments he did.

You just made a bunch of assumptions. Then drew from those assumptions to form what you've accepted as fact in your last sentence.

We get it. Nothing Microsoft says is true, everything Sony says is gospel (I hear they are going to patch in 12k resolution!). Does it ever get tiring?

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

You just made a bunch of assumptions. Then drew from those assumptions to form what you've accepted as fact in your last sentence.

We get it. Nothing Microsoft says is true, everything Sony says is gospel (I hear they are going to patch in 12k resolution!). Does it ever get tiring?

Please do walk me through these assumptions. And I'm not sure where the rest of your post is coming from. Have we ever interacted on this forum before? From what you state here it sounds like I've been trolling you for a long time and you are now hitting out at me....!? Very weird.

If other posters think I've said anything out of line please let me know.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Many people argue these dev kits from 2019 were really early and/or PC-Based and I disagree. Look at the GDK and pre-production retail XSX from Austin Evans visit to Redmond in early March 2020.
We know that in march they had prototype units (not even final, because they were still in XOneX for factor). There is nothing in that that would suggest that 2019 devkits were or were not PC based. If anything, there is strong suggestion they weren't (because they had only not final prototypes, AFAIR final unit was only not working dummy) but I wouldn't bet on anything there. There is just not enough information.

Top Bottom