• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft had fewer units at launch because they were waiting for AMD specific technology

THE:MILKMAN

Reeks of damage control, I’m surprised Greenberg didn’t conduct the interview.

I'll just say that PS5 numbers are about to drop and if they are significantly higher worldwide then this article will be pointed to as to the reason why. And just to preempt the Sony Pony shit, I'm sure Sony PR did this with PS3 when 360 was kicking its arse.

MastaKiiLA

The wording of the statement seems dubious, or at least intentionally vague enough to slip past light scrutiny. You generally don't admit to a failure (getting outsold by your competitor), unless it serves a purpose. The purpose seems to be to pre-empt unfavorable sales numbers from the holidays. PS5 will most-likely outsell the XSX, based on his direct mention of Sony's head-start in production. The RDNA2 stuff is just PR spin, to deflect from the larger issue, which is they didn't get their production ramped up in time to muster a larger holiday launch. AMD didn't just finish their RDNA2 lineup before their presentation, the chips are finalized, prototyped, and QA'd to hell and back for months before a product reveal occurs. The XSX launch has all the hallmarks of a rushed launch, and you can't really spin that in a positive way, merely limit the negative impact in the news cycle.

Also, this is a Tom Warren article, and he's a known shill. It just further cements this as PR.

NickFire

Can anybody else see how sneaking Phil is in that quote? It's due to MS having "FULL RDNA2" that pushed them back. Their MS is all a shell game to win the console war based on marketing terminology. So now the next push is to win the minds of gamers over with, "we have full RDNA2 and Sony doesn't" rather than the 12 TF vs 10 TF talk from earlier in the year.
That comment should be framed and spam posted every time MS pretends they are not in a console sales war (or interested in console war arguments generally). In my humble and personal opinion that was a lifeline for people trying to argue Series S/X is better despite the lack of games at launch. You know you'll see arguments along the lines of:

"Those games have nothing on Full RDNA 2."

nikolino840

You're late to the game, thread has been covering that.
Ok but I worked with prototypes and it takes time and a lot of rehearsals to get to the finished piece, and even when building the machine it takes more time and other tests.

And what then works on paper in practice happens not to work. (Happened in my factory LOL)
That's why you have to build before you start production

So it's not impossible that Microsoft waited for AMD to be ready with the finished product that Microsoft had requested before starting mass production of the consoles for sale or to be sent to youtubers (which I think some received the one with the prototype written behind)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok but I worked with prototypes and it takes time and a lot of rehearsals to get to the finished piece, and even when building the machine it takes more time and other tests.

And what then works on paper in practice happens not to work. (Happened in my factory LOL)
That's why you have to build before you start production

So it's not impossible that Microsoft waited for AMD to be ready with the finished product that Microsoft had requested before starting mass production of the consoles for sale or to be sent to youtubers (which I think some received the one with the prototype written behind)

Not arguing that. Just disputing where people think the timelines are recent. Theses are things all companies and AMD themselves faced, and they were all done roughly around the same time as well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Everybody keeps claiming damage control... bit damage control of what? Console came out, is performing well, and with the exception of their Halo hiccup, it's moving along.

Damage control as to why they don't have more console supply.

That comment should be framed and spam posted every time MS pretends they are not in a console sales war (or interested in console war arguments generally).

Great point! Every video game podcast I listen to has been saying MS doesn't care about console sales, yet here we are.

dano1

A Sheep
Because we don't live in la la land. In real life, there are a lot of steps and procedures that have to be taken from the moment the silicon is locked in place to when a console can be shipped and sold. It is not possible for them to be adding things to the APU within months of mass producing them. If someone talks about making 'last minute' changes, the absolute latest it can be is like a year before launch and even then the change would be to the RAM or something outside the APU.

We started manufacturing late summer,” reveals Spencer. “We were a little bit later than the competition, because we were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip.

Well well I guess my la la land seems to be reality!!
That’s why you’re old school thinking would never make it these days🤫

Fitzchiv

And yet phil had one in his house in december 2019

Who is lying ? mmmm

Not honest phil the truth sayer ?

Its funny when bullshitters contradict themselves,.

What you think they just sat on it for 12 months? 'FUD' is phrase of the moment on here, and for me it's applicable to posters like you.

Damage control as to why they don't have more console supply.

Great point! Every video game podcast I listen to has been saying MS doesn't care about console sales, yet here we are.
Why would they need damage control over that? All they have to say is CoVid slowed down production of units, just like production of everything else in the world. Seems like a silly claim to me.

mckmas8808

Why would they need damage control over that? All they have to say is CoVid slowed down production of units, just like production of everything else in the world. Seems like a silly claim to me.

That's all they should have said. You'd be right. Except they threw the "other" stuff in there to cover their butts for reasons I don't understand.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's all they should have said. You'd be right. Except they threw the "other" stuff in there to cover their butts for reasons I don't understand.

He used an opportunity to throw in the "rDnA tOo" PR for his brand, nothing more. Instead of the mundane COVID response and all FABs being hit at up at once by more than just Sony and MS logistically. The dude is a master class marketeer, it's one of the many reasons he is where he is.

Last edited:

NickFire

I would look at the quote less as damage control and more as an effort to set the 1/1/21 narrative. Yes, he was responding to the shortages and making an excuse for it. But both companies are making these as fast as possible, with full knowledge that a customer will buy every single one that they get to retail before Xmas. If he was only interested in damage control you just point to Covid and no one bats an eye, and the conversation ends virtually immediately. This was, in my opinion, 100% an effort to get the MS base talking to their friends as to why they should get Series over PS5. It's not about the games man, its all about full rdna 2.

mckmas8808

He used an opportunity to throw in the "rDnA tOo" PR for his brand, nothing more. Instead of the mundane COVID response and all FABs being hit at up at once by more than just Sony and MS logistically. The dude is a master class marketeer, it's one of the many reasons he is where he is.

And yet he hates "console tribalism". Yeah right. This feeds right into it. Phil knows what he's doing.

welsay01

Neo Member
Wait, you mean if they didn't wait for this specific AMD tech to be ready then the PS5 would have even more of an advantage in head-to-heads? So in that sense it was a necessary sacrifice to ensure they didn't get completely left behind by Sony? Well I for one am glad they waited then.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

So, let me understand, is Phil FUD, or his tweet FUD, or am I FUD for posting a link to Phil spencers tweet,

Amaze us with your logic and powers of reasoning.

Easy, you're FUD for knowingly implying Microsoft would sit on a finalised design for 12 months. You, and your fucking cheerleaders.

This is simply pre-emptive damage control in view of when the first hard sales numbers start to come out.

Yes, it's true XSX and XSS development was behind the PS5 schedule, but we also know from Bloomberg that Xbox simply ordered significantly less units from TSMC than Sony did...

....and understandably so when there's no reasonable business justification for them following up after the poor selling XB1 with a plan to try and sell as many consoles as Sony's PS5 at launch. As a brand they haven't really grown in any region in terms of hardware sales over the past 6 years. Quite the opposite. So a more modest launch was always expected and planned for from the outset. Hence MS's focus on services like GamePass rather than console sales.

mckmas8808

This is simply pre-emptive damage control in view of when the first hard sales numbers start to come out.

Yes, it's true XSX and XSS development was behind the PS5 schedule, but we also know from Bloomberg that Xbox simply ordered significantly less units from TSMC than Sony did...

....and understandably so when there's no reasonable business justification for them following up after the poor selling XB1 with a plan to try and sell as many consoles as Sony's PS5 at launch. As a brand they haven't really grown in any region in terms of hardware sales over the past 6 years. Quite the opposite. So a more modest launch was always expected and planned for from the outset. Hence MS's focus on services like GamePass rather than console sales.

The bolded is also the part that Phil is being sneaky about. He's knows they ordered less units than Sony from the get go, yet he says this now....

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

this.

I suspect sony is about to drop sales numbers soon and if the bloomberg articles were right, we are looking at 5 million sales already. MS was never going to match that.

So Phil is saying MS start the production a few (2) months later than Sony, then you can assume that the RDNA2 chip was fully realised by AMD and build in the Xbox Series X right? So it is not RDNA2 was not completely ready, cous it was otherwise they could not build in the final hardware. So its the "tools" afterall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom