• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: Xbox studio exclusives won't be 90 hour AAA games but as close to AAA as possible.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Point is Sony has all bases covered, AND also competes with Nintendo with GotY titles (which happen to be AAA experiencces).

MS seems to be on a pretty dire trajectory. All well and good boasting about Seties X hardware specs, but what about the gigantic white elephant in the room, the games?

Dont tell me 'multiplatform is where its at' as we can play them cheaper on current gen or with the best fidelity/settings on PC.
Halo Infinite, Forza, Fable..all going to be major AAA releases that have every chance of competing for GOTY. Add to that new IP that is surely in the works and MS will be easily contending with the other two.

Drewpee

Banned
They need content for their Netflix like Gamepass service. Anyone who thinks he is saying there will be no AAA games just doesn't want to be logical at this point.

I tend to think we will see a bunch of smaller games like Bleeding Edge. It is a good enough game and they will likely hit a homerun on a few of the smaller games that they can then turn into big franchises similar to Halo and Gears.

Topfuel

Point is Sony has all bases covered, AND also competes with Nintendo with GotY titles (which happen to be AAA experiencces).

MS seems to be on a pretty dire trajectory. All well and good boasting about Seties X hardware specs, but what about the gigantic white elephant in the room, the games?

Dont tell me 'multiplatform is where its at' as we can play them cheaper on current gen or with the best fidelity/settings on PC.

What bases? Their walking simulators are the only ones getting GOTY mentions.

Halo Infinite, Forza, Fable..all going to be major AAA releases that have every chance of competing for GOTY. Add to that new IP that is surely in the works and MS will be easily contending with the other two.

Come on dude, Forza and Fable for GOTY contenders? On what planet?! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I think it's time MS fired Matt Booty, or at least move him to a different position in the division. Everything he says leaves a bad aftertaste and works ever so slightly to cut back on the goodwill Spencer and the rest of the Xbox team's fostered, mainly because he leads with bad soundbytes and can't clarify his comments quickly enough.

Mind, he's nowhere near a Don Mattrick level of bad, he's not actually intending to push anything bad out there. But when it comes to wording certain statements he's...kind of a klutz, imho.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Probably not Forza, or any racing game ever, but a reboot Fable series could easily get there if it's good enough.

Yeah racing games don't win GotY, but doesn't Forza MS or Horizon usually win Racing/Sports GotY pretty much every year?

Also Outer Worlds and the 1st Hellblade both had nominations for GotY. Now that their Devs have Microsoft money and much bigger teams I can see them as viable contenders also.

odhiex

I have always associating AAA, AA, indie games with their budgets and the size of productions.

I don't think it is correlating much with their Qualities.

Koopatrol

Thats like saying the new Playground Games studio is Lionhead because they are also doing Fable(they even have some ex-Lionhead staff). SIE San Diego and 989 are two different studios. They still used the 989 brand name for sports game for a while.

Again different studios. One is based of Japan and other on England.

Most of Team Ico staff left with Ueda to form genDESIGN

Ehh, I feel like you are going too much into the unnecessary nitty-gritty detail for stuff that really doesn't even matter. I'm not interested in doing a list or number war for the sake of it. I highlighted these studios because Sony has been able to either seamlessly and successfully reintegrate their projects and staff into a new studio (SIE San Diego is a successor to 989 Studios), or reincorporate and reallocate the functions of these studios into other ones (SIE Japan Studio AND XDev provide external development support for Japan and Europe, respectively). So while 989 Studios and Contrail may have technically been "shut down," it's disingenuous to think that this was because of poor management or that Sony is careless with their studios. Some of this can be due to rebranding, reorganization, merging, or something else. And the purpose of highlighting Team ICO was that they were an internal team inside SIE Japan Studio, and Sony did not close them. Fumito Ueda left and his team left alongside him.

List wars aside, BOTH companies have shown their incompetence in managing first party studios. The amount of studios Sony has closed is way too much, and it's disheartening. I really miss Studio Liverpool. But to act like only the number of studios closed is the only thing that matters, is not true at all. If that was true, then you'd have to ignore Ueda leaving Sony altogether, because Japan Studio was not closed. And Sony didn't even shut down Team ICO, Ueda left and his team went with him. And it's dumb to ignore that, because him leaving was a pretty big deal at the time and you could probably place some blame on Sony. And you'd also have to ignore Sony's newer studios created to pick up some of these projects or functions, as I stated above.

Sony's main first party problems have been shutting studios, bleeding talent, lack of support for games after release, poor marketing, and shunning some of their historical IPs. Microsoft's have been wasting talent, lack of diversity, and lack of freedom in tackling new and different types of games.

GymWolf

They're all amazing
200.gif

Top Bottom