• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: "We are in a unique position to spend Sony out of business"

yurinka

Street Fighter would not happen without Sony? really?
And it's not about the size it's about the practice.. it's either bad to spend money making games exclusive to your platform or it isn't.

I personally don't like it

But I refuse to treat what MS is doing any differently than how Sony has operated.
Capcom were in a dire place when they had a partnership with Sony over Street Fighter V. Had Sony not funded it, we wouldn't have seen Street Fighter for years later. Capcom used the money from that to concentrate on their main IPs that sold very fucking well. Capcom have now returned to their rightful place and we all now have SF6.

It was a marriage of convenience for Capcom to return to the top table. Thankfully it paid off in spades.

Edit: you clarified Sony and SE in another post.
Back then Capcom's finantials were in a very bad position so they did multiple exclusivity deals with all 3 console makers to get cash:
  • Dead Rising 4 with Microsoft (ended being timed exclusivity), as they did earlier with Dead Rising 3
  • Street Fighter V console exclusivity with Sony (in addition to what Dick Jones said, the deal also included Sony funding and outsourcing Ultra SFIV PS4 port, that like SF6 wasn't released for XBO, and Sony also did pay half a million for SFV eSports prize pools)
  • Monster Hunter Generations and Monster Hunter Stories with Nintendo
That generation Capcom had more exclusivities with Xbox or 3DS/Switch than with Sony.

Thanks to things like these deals, Capcom finantials started to improve. In 2017 or so, a couple years later, Capcom started to release very successful games in reviews and sales in a combo that continues until today, that caused them to be today with the best finantials they ever had and their finantials continue improving.

They no longer are in a position where they need external help as it was back then. So they have less exclusivity deals now and/or are of a lower profile (SF6 not releasing in XBO maybe as part of the SFV deal, RE4R getting VR exclusivity maybe as part of their RE Village deal). Their deals are more focused on marketing deals now.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Back then Capcom's finantials were in a very bad position so they did multiple exclusivity deals with all 3 console makers to get cash:
  • Dead Rising 4 with Microsoft (ended being timed exclusivity), as they did earlier with Dead Rising 3
  • Street Fighter V console exclusivity with Sony (in addition to what Dick Jones said, the deal also included Sony funding and outsourcing Ultra SFIV PS4 port, that like SF6 wasn't released for XBO, and Sony also did pay half a million for SFV eSports prize pools)
  • Monster Hunter Generations and Monster Hunter Stories with Nintendo
Thanks to things like these deals, Capcom finantials started to improve. In 2017 or so, a couple years later, Capcom started to release very successful games in reviews and sales in a combo that continues until today, that caused them to be today with the best finantials they ever had and their finantials continue improving.

They no longer are in a position where they need external help as it was back then. So they have less exclusivity deals now and/or are of a lower profile (SF6 not releasing in XBO maybe as part of the SFV deal, RE4R getting VR exclusivity maybe as part of their RE Village deal). Their deals are more focused on marketing deals now.
gotta love how people always bring up Street Fighter V while conveniently having selective amnesia about the other games…

Nubulax

And again... nonsense. Of course, they did. As did Nintendo. Everyone has exclusive deals. Here or there.It's one thing having an exclusive deal, or paying for exclusives... its another thing buying out a publisher that takes that option off the table period. What the fuck are you even talking about?

Nintendo also had exclusive deals... and lets not even get started on the kinda shady practices Nintendo pulled back then. By the time Sony came in, they were literally looked at as a savior lol... you know your previous boss was fucked up when you are praising a new boss for sticking it to you less. The funny thing is, if Nintendo had just adopted CDs, and a royalty publishing model akin to what Sega and Sony used (both things the eventually adopted mind you), the PlayStation would never have been the success that it became. Here is a shocking fact, PlayStation didn't win the 5th generation, Nintendo lost it. FF7, RE1/2, and MGS... would have all been Nintendo 64 games.

Because I do not say something, does not mean I am saying that thing I never said never happened... and that you are repeatedly doing that shit is arguing in bad faith. Argue based on what I am saying.. not what I didn't mention.

I didn't bother mentioning that Sony had exclusive deals then because Nintendo had them too. A shit ton of them at that that were third party. and furthermore... Nintendo had been doing that shit since the NES... long before Sony even came into the industry.

So again, what is your point?
THIS... If Nintendo would have went with CD... Its not out of the realm of possiblity FF7 and future FF would have all been only on Nintendo not to mention all the other benefits they would have gotten. Same with Metal Gear

Last edited:
gotta love how people always bring up Street Fighter V while conveniently having selective amnesia about the other games…
That's because Dead Rising 3 sucks and by the time sfv was released, Sony pay and funded lots of games, xbox closed their own studios and cancelled games

THIS... If Nintendo would have went with CD... Its not out of the realm of possiblity FF7 and future FF would have all been only on Nintendo not to mention all the other benefits they would have gotten. Same with Metal Gear
Not a chance, people always claim the bullshit of the CDs, and always forgot the Saturn

PlayStation become huge because of ther licencing fees and distribution deals, something Nintendo and Sega cant do

graywolf323

That's because Dead Rising 3 sucks and by the time sfv was released, Sony pay and funded lots of games, xbox closed their own studios and cancelled games
I mean I know you’re just another alt so you‘ll just argue in bad faith, but whose fault is that exactly? 🤔 who was in charge of Xbox when they did all those things?

I’ll give you a hint, it’s the guy that has the “I believe in“ meme

edit: gotta love how any thread with remotely negative news about Microsoft always gets filled with FUD from obvious alts…

Last edited:

graywolf323

How many fucking alts can there be?
history channel win GIF by HISTORY UK

clearly legions, someone should photoshop Phil’s face onto the first guy

I mean I know you’re just another alt so you‘ll just argue in bad faith, but whose fault is that exactly? 🤔 who was in charge of Xbox when they did all those things?

I’ll give you a hint, it’s the guy that has the “I believe in“ meme
Im not and alt and just because i say a fact you dont like is bad faith? LOL

Xbox Closed Lionhead studios
Xbox Cancelled Scalebound
Xbox cancelled Fable Legends
Xbox Cancelled Project Sparks
XBLA Team was closed

And Stop the funding on games like Killer Instinct

And who is in charge? The idiot who wanted to closed their console and go mobile because he cant release a hit in a decade

Nydius

jesus....

I never said MS started the `exclusive stuf`, I said they started, timed exclusives, timed dlc... and now buying publishers.

ok. I give up.
There’s no reasoning with these kinds of people.

Thanks to the “it’s never deleted forever” internet, one can demonstrably show the exact moment Microsoft started the industry practice of money hatting timed exclusive DLC in the late 2000s for the X360. Practices that hadn’t existed before.

The moment those deals stopped favoring Xbox, these shills started acting like it was Sony who started the practice. Show them documentation and marketing statements from Microsoft and Activision proving them wrong and they turn into Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber…

dumb and dumber to GIF

John Wick

So in 2013, or a couple years ago when Sony went on the 3rd party exclusive rampage (including an attempt at Starfield exclusivity) you don't think any of the execs were talking about "ending the Xbox gaming division" in a similar vein to this? Because if you don't then you are very gullible or very biased (or both)
Pot kettle Black?
Or maybe your clueless? Sony didn't stop MS from going on the same 3rd party exclusivity rampage.

Indyblue

The fact that they just write this shit in company emails is wild.
Never put in writing what you don’t want other people to see. I learned this from dating in my twenties. They are running a billion dollar corporation.

Last edited:

sendit

The fact that they just write this shit in company emails is wild.
Never put in writing what you don’t want other people to see. I learned this from dating in my twenties. They are running a billion dollar corporation.
Zoomers.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So this is what one of the biggest xbox fanboys looks like next to Colt Eastwood. Who actually calls themselves voluntarily toilet glasses(Klobrille🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️)

I wonder what was so emotional?

“Thank you for being that corporate cocksucker you are for us. We deeply appreciate all the corporate shilling you do for us on the internet. Here have some 12 month GP subs and shut up”.

Sure dude sony never goes moneyhat hunting. Yes everyone begs jimbo for money lol.

Everyone does it, so why argue that?

Difference is Sony goes after FF16 and FF7R, while Microsoft prefers to buy time exclusives like the Falconeer or Scorn. It's just bad taste at that point :)

Last edited:
Same thread on the other site, criticism of Microsoft will get your account nuked. Coming out against the deal in the acquisition thread will get your account nuked.

Behind the scenes there is talk of moving here to gaf.

O2s3bdF.png

t86VbyK.png
Who is moving to Gaf?

Anyway, irrelevant what happens at the other forum, which is why we are here at the end of the day, no?

Crayon

Same thread on the other site, criticism of Microsoft will get your account nuked. Coming out against the deal in the acquisition thread will get your account nuked.

O2s3bdF.png

t86VbyK.png

OT but of the several reasons I came back here, the ms viral marketing capture was several points down the list, but still on the list.

The number one reason for anyone curious was the increasingly common "Dismissing Concerns" bans. Those were getting super shady.

OT but of the several reasons I came back here, the ms viral marketing capture was several points down the list, but still on the list.

The number one reason for anyone curious was the increasingly common "Dismissing Concerns" bans. Those were getting super shady.
I don't trust these justifications. Once, I saw a guy being banned for wrong reasons, and the community in the thread complained. Then, the moderation changed the justification to something like "long history of misogyny" or something else related to minorities, even though it had nothing to do with the post.

Pelta88

I received a 2-week ban when I expressed that it wasn't good for customers :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't trust these justifications. Once, I saw a guy being banned for wrong reasons, and the community in the thread complained. Then, the moderation changed the justification to something like "long history of misogyny" or something else related to minorities, even though it had nothing to do with the post.

Being banned for criticising Microsoft is a common thing there. The dam is about to break lol

Honey Bunny

O2s3bdF.png

t86VbyK.png
The culture of the megathread over there is so fucking weird. I've never seen so many enthusiastic proponents of mega-corporations consolidating.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking is still wishful thinking...

Anyway, lawyers from the Sony gang are gonna have so much fun with such revelations. MS is really run by f*cking idiots.. and that's great to watch how they are destroying themselves from the very inside. At this point in time, I just wanna know if MS were planning a gamepass day one game based on this acquisition alone with a Netflix show... cause it's gonna be awesome!

tenor.gif

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

O2s3bdF.png

t86VbyK.png
Mods are so sick there, that's unbelievable.

Last edited:

O2s3bdF.png

t86VbyK.png
I got permabanned from that thread on the first day of the acquisition because I voiced some concerns about the acquisition. It wasn't even anything crazy I said, I just said I wasn't too sure one company owning the biggest 3rd party publisher out there right after buying one of the biggest publishers was a good idea. That place is an echo chamber of weirdos and corporate shills. I don't post on that forum anymore despite getting my account back.

xiskza

I got permabanned from that thread on the first day of the acquisition because I voiced some concerns about the acquisition. It wasn't even anything crazy I said, I just said I wasn't too sure one company owning the biggest 3rd party publisher out there right after buying one of the biggest publishers was a good idea. That place is an echo chamber of weirdos and corporate shills. I don't post on that forum anymore despite getting my account back.

Which is so funny cause its like the haven for the Antifa drones and anti-capitalists to talk about how much they hate corportations and they must "eat the rich". But MS buying up everything? Its good for competition and for consumers! Bunch of hypocrites.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Oh the irony in business, how the tides turn

"We targeted Microsoft from day one -- we were ruthless," he says. "I'm not of this mentality anymore, but at the time it was life or death as far as I was concerned. We had this expression in our business meetings: 'Kill them right at the start and take no prisoners' when it came to Microsoft. It worked at least for PS2, and it continued to work on PS3 and PS4, and it'll probably continue to work on PS5 because we drove piles under the strength of the PlayStation equals games concept at that stage when we were getting ready to take Microsoft on."

W... T... F? who's revising history now?

Last edited:

K2D

Banned

O2s3bdF.png

t86VbyK.png

I received a 2-week ban when I expressed that it wasn't good for customers :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yikes. REEE is infiltrated by corporate shills. Who would have guessed?

Last edited:

zedinen

Time is more valuable than money.

Microsoft has "infinite" money, but won't be able, thanks to regulators, to execute its strategy before SIE becomes a behemoth and takes Sony Group to the next level.

SIE sales and Sony Group total equity have doubled in five years, since the start of the acquisition war.

FY22

19oeHTA.jpeg

0zPB6iG.jpeg

FY17

4CBpvCN.jpeg

1fOXSNa.jpeg

Tokyo has decided to turn Sony Group into an entertainment conglomerate centered on PlayStation. They will spin off their financial unit to focus resources on entertainment.

6s95jSa.jpg

Totoki

"Our individual businesses lack the scale of our global rivals"

"it is not easy to balance investments in entertainment and semiconductors with investments in finance"

“In order to expand our growth over the medium to longer term, we will need the ability to invest in the entertainment business at a completely new level”

Spencer and Booty strategy is backfiring in spectacular fashion. Their solution created an even bigger problem.

CunMcOQ.jpg

Es1uKPM.jpg

oksguf4.jpg

On top of that, SIE is having its best year in America in two decades at Xbox expense.

22S66zH.jpg

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Difference of what? That's what can do with the extra money they have, big entertainment companies like Disney, Paramount and Warner got a massive fast growth on their subscription services because of their money and IP arsenal + removing content from Netflix in a blink of an eye. Its nothing new in the industry
You do not understand American anti-compete laws. Do you realize that as a gas station you can not sell gasoline below cost in America? Because it is anti-competitive. Matt booty is literally talking about doing this in this e-mail with a loss-leader strategy.

Disney and the like had an IP arsenal built up since what? The 30s? You talk about the "blink of an eye" and yet I distinctly remember Thor Ragnarok was still on Netflix even after Disney+ launched. By "blink of an eye" I think you mean "when the licenses expire." No third party content is on Netflix forever, why would competitor content be any different?

Oh, and you talk about Paramount removing content and yet Top Gun: Maverick in included with Prime Video right this second. A competing service.

Your analogy does not even make sense. The only way it would be applicable would be if Activision was making their own console and planning to make their games exclusive. Smething I doubt any regulator would have a problem with. MS is not planning to exclude Sony from their own IPs, they already do that. They are planning to starve Sony and any other potential competitors of content that they themselves would have received regardless. If anyone seriously believes this would end with Activision then damn you are gullible.
So in 2013, or a couple years ago when Sony went on the 3rd party exclusive rampage (including an attempt at Starfield exclusivity) you don't think any of the execs were talking about "ending the Xbox gaming division" in a similar vein to this? Because if you don't then you are very gullible or very biased (or both)
If timed exclusives like GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas plus a whole host of actual exclusives like DMC 1-3, FFX, etc. could not kill OG Xbox then no serious person would believe that some map pack deals and 8 month timed exclusivity for stuff like Deathloop would kill off the One/Series.

Dane

You do not understand American anti-compete laws. Do you realize that as a gas station you can not sell gasoline below cost in America? Because it is anti-competitive. Matt booty is literally talking about doing this in this e-mail with a loss-leader strategy.

Disney and the like had an IP arsenal built up since what? The 30s? You talk about the "blink of an eye" and yet I distinctly remember Thor Ragnarok was still on Netflix even after Disney+ launched. By "blink of an eye" I think you mean "when the licenses expire." No third party content is on Netflix forever, why would competitor content be any different?

Oh, and you talk about Paramount removing content and yet Top Gun: Maverick in included with Prime Video right this second. A competing service.

Your analogy does not even make sense. The only way it would be applicable would be if Activision was making their own console and planning to make their games exclusive. Smething I doubt any regulator would have a problem with. MS is not planning to exclude Sony from their own IPs, they already do that. They are planning to starve Sony and any other potential competitors of content that they themselves would have received regardless. If anyone seriously believes this would end with Activision then damn you are gullible.

If timed exclusives like GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas plus a whole host of actual exclusives like DMC 1-3, FFX, etc. could not kill OG Xbox then no serious person would believe that some map pack deals and 8 month timed exclusivity for stuff like Deathloop would kill off the One/Series.
A lot of Disney money and power comes nowadays from Marvel, not just their classic animated movies. Microsoft is willing to keep COD on Playstation and giving it + ABK and MS library to cloud companies, that's giving a chest that no other company would even think about of ever doing it, they would rather back off from the deal if this was the demand.

And GTA 3, Vice City, DMC and others made PS2 to have a near monopoly of the home console market, Xbox was only alive because Microsoft was footing billion in losses, and Nintendo had the Gameboy Advance and later DS to make up for the Gamecube.

TheGrat1

A lot of Disney money and power comes nowadays from Marvel, not just their classic animated movies. Microsoft is willing to keep COD on Playstation and giving it + ABK and MS library to cloud companies, that's giving a chest that no other company would even think about of ever doing it, they would rather back off from the deal if this was the demand.

And GTA 3, Vice City, DMC and others made PS2 to have a near monopoly of the home console market, Xbox was only alive because Microsoft was footing billion in losses, and Nintendo had the Gameboy Advance and later DS to make up for the Gamecube.
Paramount and Warner do not have Marvel. Also, Marvel was in pretty rough financial shape when Disney got them. They had to take out a risky loan just to make their first films and buy back the rights to a lot of the characters in those films (like Iron Man). The same can not be said for ABK.

Willing =/= will. They immediately canceled PS5 versions of other pending IPs they acquired and letting an IP like Minecraft continue on PS is something Spencer has said he does not like. Besides, this email was not just about consoles, it was about monopolizing cloud gaming. Have any specifics about those deals MS signed with the small cloud companies been made public? It would not surprise me to hear it was on a "case by case" basis just like Starfield.

The PS2 was unprecedented. A lot of factors led to its dominance, like the out of the box DVD player (MS made you buy a remote just to play DVDs🤦‍♂️). Exclusives were nothing new and not enough to be the sole driver. Gamecube had Resident Evil 4 as a planned full exclusive, the director went so far as to say he would cut off his head if it went multi, and it sold like a smelly ass.

Top Bottom