• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III"We have thirteen $1B+ franchises in our portfolio and we just set new records for engagement in Game Pass."

GHG

That's what he says in the memo, in the bedroom he's more like:

Phil loves this kind of passion.

MAKE XBOX GREAT AGAIN.

Village People Dancing GIF by de chinezen

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Oh Philly von nothing burger the third. Out here talking about his can of nothing.

Thanks for gamepass now take a hike so someone can make use of all of these studios.

PS: Where is Gears of War man?

drezz

Now give me a Spin of "Terran Space Marine" Gears Clown/Clone on a 1v1 Starcraft map, with 99% of it beeing Zerg infection that you clear the map from, with Bloated UBISOFT missions with hidden Protos stuff underground!
4Player Co-op.
Unlockable units, start with spacemarine, then medic, Smokeylad, and tripple eyesocket nightvision boy.
Big map! So we need to see some VECHILES, with 4 player slots.

season 9 episode 3 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Ozriel

M$FT
Hopefully phil will let Sarah bond do some of the talking cause he's really wearing out his welcome. Dial it back phil cause we've heard a little too much out of you

‘We’? You’re an Xbox employee?

O my god this guy is such a fucking doofus.

Stop congratulating yourself and start releasing good games. Just because you bought a ton of studios that released good games before you bought them, that
doesn't suddenly make Microsoft an amazing publisher, you gonk. Your track record is shit, do something about that.

It’s an internal memo to Xbox employees announcing the new organization, a reorganization with the (claimed) intent to improve management and efficiency.
What does “we have a large portfolio” have to do with anything you’ve said?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All of Phil's billion dollar franchises.

Halo
Minecraft
Forza
Age of Empires
Flight Simulator
Gears of War
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Warcraft
Diablo
Overwatch
Guitar Hero
Tony Hawk
Crash Bandicoot*
The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Doom
Starfield*

Fz0gMb3WAAILN7Q.jpg:large

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Congrats to Phil and Microsoft for spending $100 billion on game company acquisitions!

Nothing like buying all the toys in the store and then declaring yourself the kid with the most toys I guess
Yikes! This sounds like a comment from someone OUTSIDE the toy store wishing they could at least afford a gum wrapper! Got damn!

gokurho

Halo
Minecraft
Forza
Age of Empires
Flight Simulator
Gears of War
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Warcraft
Diablo
Overwatch
Guitar Hero
Tony Hawk
Crash Bandicoot*
The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Doom
Starfield*

Fz0gMb3WAAILN7Q.jpg:large
Crash Bandicoot*
Starfield*
What is this * :goog_unsure:?
********** ********* * ************ ********** ?
* **** *** 🌠

Gavon West

Hopefully phil will let Sarah bond do some of the talking cause he's really wearing out his welcome. Dial it back phil cause we've heard a little too much out of you
Nah. Phil's good right where he is; annoying the shit outta folks like yourself and making the Xbox platform a behemoth. Lol.

What is it with you guys? its like positive Xbox news or Phil Spencer news physically pains a lot of you. The man is simply doing his job. Guess that's how you know you're doing something right. Haters be running rampant...sheesh!

Gavon West

One of the few franchises under MS umbrella that I like is Gears of War, and Coallition are fucking tech masters, one of few MS studios who rivalize with Sony studios in technical ability.

I really don't know why MS don't grow this guys at least a little bit. lol
They have, if I'm not mistaken. TC are on a few projects.

Gavon West

‘We’? You’re an Xbox employee?

It’s an internal memo to Xbox employees announcing the new organization, a reorganization with the (claimed) intent to improve management and efficiency.
What does “we have a large portfolio” have to do with anything you’ve said?
I'm still trippin balls over my mans using the word, "doofus?" Like.......people still say that shit??

Taycan77

That's what he says in the memo, in the bedroom he's more like:

I feel sorry for fans like Tim. I’ve been aware of him for a decade and seen his posts going back 15+ years.

A hardcore console gamer who was wedded to the power narrative. Scorpio, Series X, DX12, RDNA2 and all the other talking points that were set to change the console dynamic.

And yet here we are. Getting off on revenue generated by Candy Crush, CoD and PC. Meanwhile PlayStation users are looking forward to PS5 Pro and proven AAA experiences. Oh, and the definitive version of CoD if that’s your thing.

Life’s too short to keep waiting for what’s coming down the line in 5-10 years.

DaGwaphics

Records for engagement👩‍❤️‍👩💍👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

I don't know why people find the comments about engagement so funny. They've moved past the point of being only sales based because of GP, it would be foolish for them to be looking at just sales data to judge the success of their releases. Engagement from GP subscribers is going to be an important metric for them (probably the most important one), they do want to keep the subscribers subscribed after all.

NEbeast

This isn't really news, it's just an internal email that's been sent to staff to say "welcome to the family/some things are changing/here's what the current state of affairs is." Totally normal practice.

How pathetic that is I suppose is in the eye of the beholder. But essentially, whatever Phil Spencer says or does seems to get leapt on to be criticised with embarrassing vigour around here.

Still, I guess everyone wants a turn to post "dis gonna be good" stepladder man, "don't Believe his lies" from Memento or perhaps, John Candy saying "sure" 40 times each so we do need to keep making these threads.
He is taking credit for buying 3rd party publishers to get most of those 1b franchises. Ofcourse people are going go tear into him. He didn't fo anything, yet he I gloating like he cured world hunger. The guy is a joke.

NickFire

Halo
Minecraft
Forza
Age of Empires
Flight Simulator
Gears of War
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Warcraft
Diablo
Overwatch
Guitar Hero
Tony Hawk
Crash Bandicoot*
The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Doom
Starfield*
That list is giving me last 10 years of the New York Yankees vibes. Lots of big contracts for guys based on how they played for a prior team. But some of those players were long past their prime when signed.

King Dazzar

Engagement to me these days means mile wide, inch deep paired with quantity over quality philosophies. Its the kind of key metric that you'd want to be at the core of GaaS.

WoJ

I normally don't comment on nonsense Phil says but fuck off dude. 13 franchises worth $1B and "engagement". You guys can't release anything that doesn't suck balls or run like a trash mobile game and your "engagement" numbers are meaningless.

I've long been an Xbox fan as it's been my primary console since the 360 days. But I'm tired of this nonsense. Deliver compelling games with all your big franchises and stop smelling your own farts and making sure we all see the pronouns in your bio. Fuck off Phil.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
He is taking credit for buying 3rd party publishers to get most of those 1b franchises. Ofcourse people are going go tear into him. He didn't fo anything, yet he I gloating like he cured world hunger. The guy is a joke.
He's describing the state of their business and offering a couple of highlights to new and existing staff in a two paragraph memo.

Every corporation I've worked for has done this routinely.

Gojiira

Imagine being so deluded you attribute others success as your own. MS have 3 Billion dollar franchises that they created themselves, Halo, Forza and arguably Gears, all the rest are franchises that made over a Billion BEFORE MS acquisition. Its a fucking joke that Fill thinks MS can attribute these to themselves.
Its even more hilarious when they kept whining and crying about how insignificant they are and how Sony was keeping them that way, well Sony apparently has 5(?) Billion dollar franchises, MS ‘triple’ that number…So if you have all these successful franchises why the fuck are they doing so shit in the gaming space?? Fuck Xbox…

Last edited:

gokurho

I don't know why people find the comments about engagement so funny. They've moved past the point of being only sales based because of GP, it would be foolish for them to be looking at just sales data to judge the success of their releases. Engagement from GP subscribers is going to be an important metric for them (probably the most important one), they do want to keep the subscribers subscribed after all.
I agree completely :messenger_bicep: :messenger_waving:
Engagement is the most important👩‍❤️‍👩💍👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

It's outdated thinking I suspect. And not just because of Game Pass - because of the amount of time and money it takes to produce a top level game now. People talk about Game Pass being unsustainable, but if they look through non-fanboy eyes they will surely realize that $500m dollar+, six year to produce, 15-20 hour one and done experiences only is going to lead to serious difficulties not too far down the line. That's the true unsustainable model.

Sony themselves seemingly believe so... Gaas is derided, and rightfully so in some cases, but it's clearly the sustainable future. As are subs over sales. Digital over physical. I think games as a platform (see Forza's attempt, Flight Sim, Diablo etc) are the future. It doesn't/shouldn't mean stagnant, and regular major content updates along with technical enhancements is a much less frightening business model. IMO anyway. Some will be dogshit, some will be great, same as the way games have always been.

I think some people genuinely believe Microsoft shifted to tracking engagement because they were embarrassed by being outsold, and it's just PR spin rather than something they see as integral to future success.

And oh man, the salt in this thread is actually hardening my arteries :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom