• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III"We have thirteen $1B+ franchises in our portfolio and we just set new records for engagement in Game Pass."

Ansphn

Some people keep falling up. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Spencer has the Death-note or the Sharingan to blackmail and hypnotize his way up to the top of Microsoft.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
This makes absolutely no sense. MS is not a private company. Whatever it is you think would have been exposed prior is now too.
No. Zenimax was a private company. I was comparing ABK to the Zenimax acquisition where they did that Bethesda game drop immediately after the close of the sale. Sorry for the confusion.

Congrats to Phil and Microsoft for spending $100 billion on game company acquisitions!

Nothing like buying all the toys in the store and then declaring yourself the kid with the most toys I guess
Sad Cry Baby GIF by WWE

Killjoy-NL

I'd like to see him take all those franchises away from Playstation and Nintendo and see how much of hit they take in revenue for each IP.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
One of the few franchises under MS umbrella that I like is Gears of War, and Coallition are fucking tech masters, one of few MS studios who rivalize with Sony studios in technical ability.
Eh, I think they're good at what they do, but they're not quite up there with the best at Sony. Guerilla, Naughty Dog, and Santa Monica are in classes by themselves. They make literal industry movers.

That said, The Coalition is techy enough to bring enough competition to stand out. I'd just like to see them do something other than Gears of War.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
icegif-7.gif

Ok but you're confusing me even more.
My point is that Zenimax could do the Game Pass onloading behind the scenes before close of the sale since it was a private company and easier to hide that stuff. If that's not the case, I'm not sure what else could be the hold up. ABK holding back every game doesn't make much sense if they are worried about profits.

Three

My point is that Zenimax could do the Game Pass onloading behind the scenes before close of the sale since it was a private company and easier to hide that stuff.
What stuff exactly? You still haven't explained.

With whatever they were hiding how is MS hiding it now being a publicly traded company? What you're saying makes absolutely no sense.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Question: When was the last time Xbox Game Studios made a game that hit $1 billion in revenue? 🤔

Was it even under Phil Spencer's leadership?

I'm starting to get sick and tired of MS never ever releasing game sales. Even internally they don't seem to want to release real numbers.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
What stuff exactly? You still haven't explained.

With whatever they were hiding how is MS hiding it now being a publicly traded company? What you're saying makes absolutely no sense.
So why do you think they aren't adding the ABK games to Game Pass right away if it isn't because of hurting sales?

I'm starting to get sick and tired of MS never ever releasing game sales. Even internally they don't seem to want to release real numbers.
I find it amusing that this actually upsets people.

Last edited:

Three

So why do you think they aren't adding the ABK games to Game Pass right away if it isn't because of hurting sales?
I don't even know what's going on anymore. I'm the one saying they're not doing it because they want to make more money from it by selling the ABK games for longer and only using it to boost subs when they don't have other big XGS game releases in the quarter.

You're the one saying they can't do it because ABK is a publicly traded company so it was difficult to hide something. What exactly you still haven't explained.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I don't even know what's going on anymore. I'm the one saying they're not doing it because they want to make more money from it by selling the ABK games for longer and only using it to boost subs when they don't have other big XGS game releases in the quarter.

You're the one saying they can't do it because ABK is a publicly traded company so it was difficult to hide something. What exactly you still haven't explained.
Your speculation is just as unsupported as mine. I was just saying something I heard that made sense to me. I never quoted anyone, or claimed anything as fact. Relax.

Three

Your speculation is just as unsupported as mine. I was just saying something I heard that made sense to me. I never quoted anyone, or claimed anything as fact. Relax.
I mean sure but you're doing a lousy job of even explaining what your speculation is when I'm asking for you to elaborate.

You think it's because ABK is publicly traded so they're trying to hide something? Hide what? that it will hurt sales?

MS/ABK has closed and MS is still publicly traded. What would be possible to hide or not hide now? What would make it possible to hide later? I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from and I'm completely relaxed.

Upsets? No. I'm not losing sleep over it. It's just stupid and annoying. You too should expect better from Xbox's leadership.
I won't have more fun with a game if I know it sold 1 million copies vs if it had sold 5 million. Unless you have a large number of stock shares, knowing how many units a game sells does nothing for our pocketbooks other than giving ammunition and bragging rights on forums such as these.

Also, Microsoft seems to be doing just fine running Xbox as it is currently doing, so even people who do own significant stock shouldn't be worried...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...as-ai-again-drives-record-revenue/ar-AA1iMJ91

Pelta88

The first signal that shit is going down hill will be the removal of depictions of smoking from COD. I'm not sure how many will get that reference but it's out there.

Also, this reads like someone who has suffered defeat after defeat since 2013.

ZoukGalaxy

Bla bla bla, I have the bigger one, bla bla bla, I just found a statistic nobody cares where we are ahead and it means nothing bla bla bla we have so many franchises but we don't know anymore how to make games bla bla bla I still experiment everyday bla bla bla I talk for nothing as usual and the next year will be the Xbox year*
season 1 episode 3 GIF by Patriot

*Next year is proudly our year since 2014

I'm truely sick of this guy full of shit and lies.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
You could pretty much say that about anything purchased.

Depends.
If they bough something and then started a new project for them and announce that project, then I totally agree with you.
But in this case all projects where already in process(heck, most of them at middle or above in terms of development) and then purchased. Redfall, Elder Scrolls and Starfield were already in development process.

Saber

Gold Member
I find it amusing that this actually upsets people.

I don't think so, its just pretty stupid. Like you being proud of a new product a bakery launched that you just bought a few months ago. You didn't involve yourself in the project, you have no connection, you just purchase the entire bakery and the product came with it. Whats to be proud of?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Maybe try lowering your expectations (or just not having any at all) of Xbox's leadership.

Why? They are a trillion-dollar company that said they want to disrupt the current way of things in the video game space. I'm only going to raise my expectations.

I won't have more fun with a game if I know it sold 1 million copies vs if it had sold 5 million. Unless you have a large number of stock shares, knowing how many units a game sells does nothing for our pocketbooks other than giving ammunition and bragging rights on forums such as these.

Also, Microsoft seems to be doing just fine running Xbox as it is currently doing, so even people who do own significant stock shouldn't be worried...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...as-ai-again-drives-record-revenue/ar-AA1iMJ91

But if it only sales 1 million units, you may not get another game in the series. Versus if it sold 5 million units.

Why? They are a trillion-dollar company that said they want to disrupt the current way of things in the video game space. I'm only going to raise my expectations.

But if it only sales 1 million units, you may not get another game in the series. Versus if it sold 5 million units.
That would be likely true under the traditional sales model. GamePass throws that out the window.

Top Bottom