• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Musilla

JF5cM7t.gif

JF5cYhJ.gif

Last edited:

Sethbacca

The Last of Us Part II sits at a 93 Metascore with over 10 million units sold. I don't think they need help with game development.
They're still made there's a muscular chick in the game. You'll never convince them it was the masterpiece that it is. I'll grant that it had some pacing issues, but none of them ever mention that, it's always just "GRRR WOKE MUSCLE WOMAN" then a bunch of word salad.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

The Last of Us Part II sits at a 93 Metascore with over 10 million units sold. I don't think they need help with game development.
Three years of gen and what Naughty Dog have done? One remaster, one remake, a probably dead gaas and what more?

Naughty Dog is def one of the best game studios in the world, but their development circle is just really bad.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Three years of gen and what Naughty Dog have done? One remaster, one remake, a probably dead gaas and what more?

Naughty Dog is def one of the best game studios in the world, but it's they development circle is just really bad.
Doesn't mean they need help with the development aspect. They may need some time management adjustments (though you, nor I, can say for sure), but the products they do release are top notch (save for the poor Last Of Us port), high quality, and sell well.

Just because Insomniac is on top of their game doesn't mean we just pretend Naughty Dog has released a plate of flops.

Last edited:
On a separate point, what is Naughty Dog even doing right now? They released TLOU 2 ON PS4 back in 2020... and it's been crickets ever since.. they've definitely fallen from grace. It's been 3 years...
TLOU2 gameplay wise is one of the best games ever made, give them time because we know whatever they release it will be high quality.

But whatever ...... insomniac is about to release another great game. Why can't the focus be on that... I will never understand the constant need to compare everything.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
TLOU2 gameplay wise is one of the best games ever made, give them time because we know whatever they release it will be high quality.

But whatever ...... insomniac is about to release another great game. Why can't the focus be on that... I will never understand the constant need to compare everything.
God, thank you! I was beginning to worry that we were in LaLa Land and everyone else lived in reality.

kaizenkko

Not one thing is wrong with Naughty Dog.
Look at all the other PlayStation Studios development times.
We don't even know how many multiple teams Insomniac has.
I'm no saying there's something wrong, but Insomniac is the only PS studio who proven to work on a consistent way with multiples teams. And yeah, Insomniac is a exception, because of that I think Sony need to replicate that in their others studios.

I don't want to wait 5/6 years for a game from Naughty Dog.

killatopak

Gold Member
They're still made there's a muscular chick in the game. You'll never convince them it was the masterpiece that it is. I'll grant that it had some pacing issues, but none of them ever mention that, it's always just "GRRR WOKE MUSCLE WOMAN" then a bunch of word salad.
The muscular chick isn’t my main issue with it. My main issue is how she was a large part of the game when Joel and Ellie were marketed as the main cast.

If it was just Abby as a solo protagonist and with a different set of enemies, I would have liked it more. My problem was how they had to degrade Joel and Ellie to achieve her conclusion. There was lot of excuses to justify how Joel slacked and how Ellie behaved. The pacing was just one of the problem not THE problem.

Characters withstanding, TLOU was one of the best designed games made with an emphasis on gameplay and fluidity and that carried me to the end. I could play the game for that alone. However, it did not bring me to the same highs as TLOU1 did on an emotional level. There was no levity only frustration. I was not mad at the characters, I was mad at the writers. The jump in personality would have been better received had it been shown gradually instead of being justified outside the game. The wonders of time skip.

blacktout

Jesus Christ, how many GOTY contenders are we going to get this year?

At this point, even whittling down the list to six nominees for the Game Awards is going to be brutal.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm no saying there's something wrong, but Insomniac is the only PS studio who proven to work on a consistent way with multiples teams. And yeah, Insomniac is a exception, because of that I think Sony need to replicate that in their others studios.

I don't want to wait 5/6 years for a game from Naughty Dog.
Good thing you don't have to. Last Of Us Part II released 3 years ago and Remake last year (yes, this counts).

Now can we please get back to discussing, oh, I don't know, SPIDER-MAN? Folks can go gripe about Naughty Dog elsewhere.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

Doesn't mean they need help with the development aspect. They may need some time management adjustments (though you, nor I, can say for sure), but the products they do release are top notch (save for the poor Last Of Us port), high quality, and sell well.

Just because Insomniac is on top of their game doesn't mean we just pretend Naughty Dog has released a plate of flops.
I agree with you, Naughty Dog is one of the best devs in industry. But they take so much time to develop their games and that's no a good thing, for they and for us.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's insanely impressive but it's hyperbole to say there's ZERO loading.

The loading occurs as you hold down the button and the meter fills to confirm where you want to fast travel, and even after that there's a ~1s delay.

Again, SUPER IMPRESSIVE though.

All these "" reactions to my comment.

You'd think I killed someone's cat rather than pointing out an inaccuracy (while still wildly praising the tech).

Sethbacca

The muscular chick isn’t my main issue with it. My main issue is how she was a large part of the game when Joel and Ellie were marketed as the main cast.

If it was just Abby as a solo protagonist and with a different set of enemies, I would have liked it more. My problem was how they had to degrade Joel and Ellie to achieve her conclusion. There was lot of excuses to justify how Joel slacked and how Ellie behaved. The pacing was just one of the problem not THE problem.

Characters withstanding, TLOU was one of the best designed games made with an emphasis on gameplay and fluidity and that carried me to the end. I could play the game for that alone. However, it did not bring me to the same highs as TLOU1 did on an emotional level. There was no levity only frustration. I was not mad at the characters, I was mad at the writers. The jump in personality would have been better received had it been shown gradually instead of being justified outside the game. The wonders of time skip.
Yeah, I think it would have been better received to have a more limited scope to the Abby parts. It would have helped the pacing to play only the more pertinent sections of her story rather than perfectly trying to mirror Ellie's storyline. I'm honestly fine though with them having killed off Joel, how many times do we need the apocalyptic buddy road trip going down? The storyline they chose gives a better path forward into other storylines re: the fireflies and everything.

I'd totally be down for a Lost Legacy style filler game that covers the time skip though. It would probably help to change how people received TLoU2.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Boo you. #DadaNeverForgets

The game is less then half a year away, it's not going to look significantly different then what it currently does. Some minor tweaks at most.

As for people's expectations, maybe Insomniac shouldn't have released a teaser trailer that was significantly better then what they eventually released.

Shadow Box Punch GIF

Season 5 Jk GIF by Broad City

killatopak

Gold Member
Yeah, I think it would have been better received to have a more limited scope to the Abby parts. It would have helped the pacing to play only the more pertinent sections of her story rather than perfectly trying to mirror Ellie's storyline. I'm honestly fine though with them having killed off Joel, how many times do we need the apocalyptic buddy road trip going down? The storyline they chose gives a better path forward into other storylines re: the fireflies and everything.

I'd totally be down for a Lost Legacy style filler game that covers the time skip though. It would probably help to change how people received TLoU2.
A prequel would do massive amounts for me personally. Just show Joel unintentionally trusting some people who wanted to move to Jackson and being berated by Ellie however it all turns all right in the end. Then he gradually opens up to more immigrants to Jackson until he slacks off and survive. Someone, maybe Maria will justify it as just one bad apple compared to the dozens he saved before by trusting them and being his wife, Tommy will agree with her. Then it will all lead to TLOU2.

iorek21

Hey, some spoilery question here:

During the DF review, I saw a footage of Miles entering a portal to a glacial location... was that a Doctor Strange portal?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
On a separate point, what is Naughty Dog even doing right now? They released TLOU 2 ON PS4 back in 2020... and it's been crickets ever since.. they've definitely fallen from grace. It's been 3 years...
Can we chill with the naughty dog concern.

A) it’s guaranteed whatever game they make next will wipe the floor with anything insomniac has ever made

B) they have publicly stated that they will only announce games closer to their completion moving forward.

Where is the concern for BluePoint, their last game came out same year as TLOU2 . Sucker Punch… same thing. SSM.. who have yet to make anything but GOW ever. Now they’re doing GOW DLC

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Can we chill with the naughty dog concern.

A) it’s guaranteed whatever game they make next will wipe the floor with anything insomniac has ever made

B) they have publicly stated that they will only announce games closer to their completion moving forward.

Where is the concern for BluePoint, Sucker Punch… SSM.. who have yet to make anything but GOW ever
Yeah, but at least they’ve put something out in the last 84 years.

Top Bottom