• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be wise to go 40+ for Daredevil, assuming they find the right guy. This isn't Spider-Man, Matt Murdock isn't some inexperienced punk. It's a myth that the audience demands youth anyway, Marvel struck gold with Robert Downey Jr.

I think it would be wise to go 40+ for Daredevil, assuming they find the right guy. This isn't Spider-Man, Matt Murdock isn't some inexperienced punk. It's a myth that the audience demands youth anyway, Marvel struck gold with Robert Downey Jr.

They need someone somewhat youthful because they need someone that will last in the role for many years. Maybe early/mid 30's

neoanarch

No. Not demanding youth but it would looks super awkward fo a bunch of 40+ year olds to be running around in tights. Not CW young but late 20s at least. It doesn't make sense for a 40 yearl old lawyer to suddenly become a vigilante.

No. Not demanding youth but it would looks super awkward fo a bunch of 40+ year olds to be running around in tights. Not CW young but late 20s at least. It doesn't make sense for a 40 yearl old lawyer to suddenly become a vigilante.

Well I was picturing a seasoned Daredevil... they could dive right in and tell his backstory via occasional flashbacks over time. I realize that's not likely to happen though.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Well I was picturing a seasoned Daredevil... they could dive right in and tell his backstory via occasional flashbacks over time. I realize that's not likely to happen though.

if they start with man without fear mini then you'd want a younger college/masters age so mid 20's murdock

Spinluck

Omg, we gonna get Iron Fist too? Didn't notice that before lol.

Damn, Goodard is gonna be busy guy. He might also write and direct the Sinister 6.

Does Luke Cage have enough story to maintain his own series? In my opinion the 4th slot should have been given to Punisher. Especially if Cage is gonna be in Alias anyway.

neoanarch

Does Luke Cage have enough story to maintain his own series? In my opinion the 4th slot should have been given to Punisher. Especially if Cage is gonna be in Alias anyway.

His best friend is Iron Fist and his wife is Jessica Jones as well as being a possible future leader of the Avengers. Really Daredevil is the odd one out in the group. Also there is nothing stopping Thomas Jane from being in all four shows as a minor antagonist and reluctant partner.

His best friend is Iron Fist and his wife is Jessica Jones as well as being a possible future leader of the Avengers. Really Daredevil is the odd one out in the group. Also there is nothing stopping Thomas Jane from being in all four shows as a minor antagonist and reluctant partner.

Did you mean Defenders?

I wonder if Silver Surfer, Doc Strange, and Valkyrie will show up in the Defenders series. Valkyrie is a no-brainer since they already have had asguardians show up on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Did you mean Defenders?

I wonder if Silver Surfer, Doc Strange, and Valkyrie will show up in the Defenders series. Valkyrie is a no-brainer since they already have had asguardians show up on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D.

This incarnation of the Defenders is a strictly street level team. Heroes for hire without, y'know, being for hire. Plus Fox has the Silver Surfer rights anyway.

This incarnation of the Defenders is a strictly street level team. Heroes for hire without, y'know, being for hire. Plus Fox has the Silver Surfer rights anyway.

I don't think that applies to TV. Hence why the FF, Dr. Doom, Galactus, and Wolverine were in that Avengers cartoon.

XAL

GKhM0ix.gif

I still don't get why people like this guy so much.

Might as well replace everyone not named Daredevil while you're at it. Hopefully Luke Cage will make plenty of new stories.

Nyanmaruz

I really hope they feature and spend some time at K'un-Lun and not just at New York when the Iron Fist episodes come around. Maybe at least a montage of Danny training over the years before he went back to New York.

Might as well replace everyone not named Daredevil while you're at it. Hopefully Luke Cage will make plenty of new stories.

Why? Alias had a lengthy run by Bendis and Iron Fist had a very popular series by fraction and Brubaker. Luke Cage though doesn't really have any iconic story arcs or series that someone can point to other then those weird comics from the 70s.

XAL

Bourne Identity

God he does look like a low-rent, inbred Matt Damon.

Does anyone say this? LucasArts clearly ruined itself a long time ago in a decade far, far away.

Anyone that says Disney was the reason LucasArts failed is dead wrong.

George Lucas ruined LucasArts by forcing the team to scrap/redo the stories of games and the games themselves MULTIPLE times on fleeting-fucking-whims . He would also swap out crucial leadership multiple times as well, which all compacted until the studio was an emaciated body clinging onto their last project -- Star Wars 1313 was the last victim of Lucas sticking his fingers in places they didn't really belong.

He was almost completely hands off for The Force Unleashed 1 and that story turned out to be one of the most exciting things to happen to Star Wars in AGES. But then by the time TFU2 came around he decided to fuck that up - which caused the writing staff to just up and leave.

Poor Haden Blackman did an awesome job crafting the formation of the rebellion and another fantastic job writing Batwoman. Each time being forced to leave because Lucas and DC, respectively, wouldn't leave the fucking creative/writing team alone.

DieH@rd

Banned

Why give him his own show when they can show him as a constant force of destruction in all 4 TV shows? :D

LaNaranja

Maybe, but also a action series will do better with a lead who's merely decent actor, but a great fighter than the other way around.
Acting abilities aren't really that important in such stories. They count if the actor is bad, but once you reach the "good enough" point it's pretty meaningless just how much actor can go beyond that.

I wouldn't say it becomes meaningless. Look at The Avengers. The action scenes were great but what was just as good (if not better) were the interactions between the characters. Would Edward Norton have been "good enough" as Banner? Absolutely. But Ruffalo went way beyond that and his performance was one of the best in the movie.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't recommend getting somebody who can't act just because he moves well (I honestly don't remember Ray Park in anything, I just threw his name because he was connected with Iron Fist movie long time ago). But if you can get an actor who can actually fight, while still being able to act well enough you could end up with something truly incredible. Adkins is a rare case of somebody like this, especially if he gets under a good director, which Netlix series will undoubtely have
Has he ever had the chance to really act in any movie? He had a tiny role in X-Men as Toad and he doesn't say anything in Star Wars and G.I. Joe. He might actually be a fine actor given the right director and script.

I wish Ving Rhames was about twenty years younger.
To play Powerman?
Just made me think of how I wish MCD was still alive to redo his role as Kingpin

Cartoon being the key word.
I'm pretty sure Marvel has the TV rights (which I believe include animation) to just about everything.
Problem being bringing a Live Action character to TV (MCU) that can't be used/referenced in the movies.

Bourne Identity
Matt Damon?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

......short answer yes, the recent era would mark the 3rd decade luke cage was a popular character. He had long runs in the 70's and 80's and his duo book with Iron Fist as well as his Heroes for hire and other teams spots on other books.

Why? Alias had a lengthy run by Bendis and Iron Fist had a very popular series by fraction and Brubaker. Luke Cage though doesn't really have any iconic story arcs or series that someone can point to other then those weird comics from the 70s.

Why discount the 70s comics? I owned quite a few issues of the gold shirt, chain belt wearing Power Man and Iron Fist issues.

Luke Cage has just as much potential to be an iconic figure as the Punisher, if handled right.

Thing is, people tend to be standoffish about giving a black male a leading role in a TV series (in the states). I'm going to embrace Luke's show 100% because it's so unique to see it.

I don't think that applies to TV. Hence why the FF, Dr. Doom, Galactus, and Wolverine were in that Avengers cartoon.

It applies to all live-action. Animation is the loophole.

Ving Rhames would make a pretty good Kingpin. (I'm sure Marvel/Disney can use him, I don't see Sony using Kingpin in a Spider-Man film)

Kingpin is more associated with Daredevil than Spider-Man. He premiered in Spidey's books and was in the nineties cartoon, but most of his Iconic comic appearances were in Frank Miller's Daredevil run.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I heard somebody was talking about my man Luke

sIwWEse.jpg
gFtKIlP.jpg
7koaStl.jpg

Start with hardass MAX Luke and make him connected to JJ down the line. Bam, there's your Luke Cage show right there.

While Luke being a bad ass might be cool, what can Netflix and Marvel do to make the character more popular to mainstream america?

Its going to have to be similar to what the WB and DC were able to do with the Green ARROW.

Main character needs to be charismatic...and humane...while being a bad ass...in his mid 30s.

If anyone really cares about the character...or success of the series...casting Luke Cage is going to be a bitch.

Luke Cage is rather simple: he was wrongly accused of a crime he didn't commit, agreed to an experiment to get out of prison, gained powers and then decided to use those powers to clean up his neighborhood. While you can't remember any particular story arcs outside of Alias, Luke Cage is an easy sell and for a director/showrunner unfamiliar with comics, presents the most room to play around.

If America can dig The Wire and The Shield, they can get behind Luke Cage. A black man sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit and he comes out bulletproof? He's the most pure urban African-American hero in comics today. Look at him!

Cage4.jpg

Cage18.jpg

Cage61.jpg

Seriously, read this.

Pitch-wise, Iron Fist is the odd man out for the other street-level characters. Because let's be honest, we're not going to get a shit-ton of K'un L'un on a TV-sized budget in a series that's filming primarily in New York. Maybe we'll get Orson Randall, but outside of that I'm not seeing the Immortal Weapon tournament happening unless it's a backroom Fight Club.

I can't endorse Terry Crews as Luke Cage because that interferes with my dream casting of him as the Barracuda in the next Punisher film.

Holy Shit would that be awesome.

for Luke Cage? How about Rockmund Dunbar, who's been great in Prison Break and Sons of Anarchy. But he's never been a breakout star, why not give him a chance.

I want them to do a complete adaptation of Bendis's run on Alias. There is plenty of room in 1 season to do the whole series plus an origin episode to get things started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom