• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photo of the press conference from Agent M's twitter:

BhaZtuwIIAAiqds.jpg:large

Meh, they didn't even create new art for this.

I would have hoped for additional cast/crew/plot details from this, or at bare minimum confirmation that these are set in the MCU, but I suppose there's no real need to announce that stuff any sooner than SDCC.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Meh, they didn't even create new art for this.

I would have hoped for additional cast/crew/plot details from this, or at bare minimum confirmation that these are set in the MCU, but I suppose there's no real need to announce that stuff any sooner than SDCC.

Drew Pearce confirmed that the Netflix series takes place in the MCU.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is this one of those "he's ripped, so he should get the job regardless of acting ability" picks?

He's a decent actor and can actually sell the fight scenes, which for a character like Daredevil whom is all martial arts stuff, is very very important.

Adkins could be Iron Fist as well.

MTV posted an article on 9 actors they think should play Daredevil on Netflix. Some... odd choices:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1723076/marvel-netflix-daredevil-cast.jhtml

John Krasinski
Jesse Plemons
Taylor Kitsch
Ben Foster
James Marsden
Ethan Hawke
Michael Shannon
Matthew McConaughey
Neil Patrick Harris

It's hard to think who should play any of these characters.

Taye Diggs for Luke Cage, maybe. Iron Fist, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, got no idea.

I'm sure they could talk The Rock into being Luke Cage if it guaranteed a very prominent role in The Defenders with a theatrically released movie option (and an appearance in Avengers 3).

no idea who to cast for everyone else. I just know that The Rock already expressed interest in the role with a tweet a while back.

Messi

I'm sure they could talk The Rock into being Luke Cage if it guaranteed a very prominent role in The US Defenders with a theatrically released movie option (and an appearance in Avengers 3).

no idea who to cast for everyone else. I just know that The Rock already expressed interest in the role with a tweet a while back.

Didn't he essentially confirm he was going to be John Stewart in Superman/Batman for DC?

Messi

He said he was just making a reference or something. Didn't confirm anything.

but long before that tease of a tweet, there was this one:

QIp9xId.png

I don't believe for a second the Green Lantern one was not on purpose. He has to play coy. Plus now the rock is a much bigger fish than a show like this. I could easily see him in Superman Batman or Avengers.

Wiktor

I think that for both Iron Fist and Daredevil they should use somebody who can actually fight. That's the best way to make the action impressive without powers.

I say get Ray Park for Iron Fist and Scott Adkins for Iron Fist or Daredevil.
And Adkins does have the acting chops enough to play superhero character in a tv show. It's not going to be Emmy contender anyway.

Sweet Christmas, people are wanting someone other than Michael Jai White to play Luke Cage?

I don't care that he plays a character on another superhero show, and you shouldn't either

MTV posted an article on 9 actors they think should play Daredevil on Netflix. Some... odd choices:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1723076/marvel-netflix-daredevil-cast.jhtml

It's hard to think who should play any of these characters.

Taye Diggs for Luke Cage, maybe. Iron Fist, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, got no idea.

yeah marvel couldn't get any of those guys for a netflix show. (except for maybe ben foster, james marsden, nph or jim from office)

hell even riggins and and surprisingly landry are too big for it.

Blader

I think that for both Iron Fist and Daredevil they should use somebody who can actually fight. That's the best way to make the action impressive without powers.

I say get Ray Park for Iron Fist and Scott Adkins for Iron Fist or Daredevil.
And Adkins does have the acting chops enough to play superhero character in a tv show. It's not going to be Emmy contender anyway.

Ray Park especially can't act.

Why do they need people who can actually fight? They aren't fighting for real.

Wiktor

Why do they need people who can actually fight? They aren't fighting for real.

Because if actor can't fight for real (or more precisly, move like he does) his fights will look bad. Especially in a tv show where they don't have a month to film one fight scene. There's a reason why every damn Hollywood movie is using shaky cams and quick cuts and they do it for more grounded Bourne-like fights, which are incredibly easy to choreograph in comparision to acrobatic insanity superheroes do.

Blader

Because if actor can't fight for real (or more precisly, move like he does) his fights will look bad. Especially in a tv show where they don't have a month to film one fight scene. There's a reason why every damn Hollywood movie is using shaky cams and quick cuts and they do it for more grounded Bourne-like fights, which are incredibly easy to choreograph in comparision to acrobatic insanity superheroes do.

Arrow has good-ish fight sequences and I'm pretty sure Amell, as jacked as he is, isn't a big brawler in real life.

It's easier to teach choreography to somebody who can act than it is to teach acting to someone who can fight. And also, way more important.

Wiktor

Arrow has good-ish fight sequences and I'm pretty sure Amell, as jacked as he is, isn't a big brawler in real life.
Yes, but Ammell is also a lot more physically capable than regular actors. He's not martial arts expert, but he still can do a lot more than typical actor can. Also, while I like Arrow, it's clearly low budget and it's fight scenes aren't exactly amazing. We forgive it because it's CW show, but we will expect more from Netflix. A lot more.

It's easier to teach choreography to somebody who can act than it is to teach acting to someone who can fight. And also, way more important.
Maybe, but also a action series will do better with a lead who's merely decent actor, but a great fighter than the other way around.
Acting abilities aren't really that important in such stories. They count if the actor is bad, but once you reach the "good enough" point it's pretty meaningless just how much actor can go beyond that.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't recommend getting somebody who can't act just because he moves well (I honestly don't remember Ray Park in anything, I just threw his name because he was connected with Iron Fist movie long time ago). But if you can get an actor who can actually fight, while still being able to act well enough you could end up with something truly incredible. Adkins is a rare case of somebody like this, especially if he gets under a good director, which Netlix series will undoubtely have

I always thought Brad Beyer from Jericho would've made a great Matt Murdock. He's over 40 now not sure they would go with someone that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom