• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MANY developers have been sitting in meetings for the past year desperately trying to get Series S launch requirements dropped"

SomeGit

Of course they have access.

Yet Scorn is first game to use DirectStorage. Forspoken is second known (on PC only).

VRS 2.0 is used sparingly, Mesh Shaders is not used in any game (as far as I know). Same for SFS.

So, devs have all those unused tools and many of them are literally to get around main complaint about Series S (memory) and yet they are not using them.
Scorn is the first game to use Direct storage on PC, but multiple games already use it on Xbox.

GHG

But yet the games you guys hold up as the most impressive are somehow able to run on a PS4. Seems to poke a lot of holes in your argument that the S which is much more powerful is holding games back.

Show me where I've advocated the cross-gen shit this generation has been plagued with.

Your rebuttal was a false equivalence and factually incorrect. The usual "but Sony" like a bunch of NPCs. At some point you'll learn to think for yourselves.

Last edited:
"many" incompetent ones
dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

SomeGit

That was an error, it’s not direct storage on PC. Still no support there until Forespoken.
Oh forgot about that, they removed it from the PC version, but yeah my point was that multiple games already on Xbox it only now starting to be used on PC, because its SDK only came out this year.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

As always stated, the Series S was stupid from the jump. While I empathize with those less than who can't afford the cutting edge, they have to wait for sales or save up like I did once upon a time. I couldn't afford a PS3 in 2006. I didn't get my first one until 2008 and the MGS4 bundle. Had to save and plan for it. IF this is true, hopefully it finally reaches Microsoft and progress can be done.
Lol while I agree with ur sentiment, ps3 had a ludicrous price. This sounds like an incompetent developer that doesnt have the resources companies alike Ubisoft and others do. I mean, they got cyberpunk running at 60fps.on it and that dumb ass matrix tech demo that ppl salivate their nutsacks over. So it's a capable machine. And if it isn't, then run the game at 900p or less and tend of story

ACESHIGH

Banned
The series S is exposing lots of developers lack of talent and will to work.

Also, a very important question most gaming forums are not making as often: What will these devs bring to the table from a GAMEPLAY standpoint with this new tech? High end last gen graphics are shiny enough.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
The tweets in the OP have been deleted.

Nothing burger thread.
It was some dude at bossa games claiming they have had Devs have "secret meetings" to drop the series s requirement.

Bossa games:
I am bread
I am fish
Surgeon Simulator

Nothing notable really, they should probably have meetings about making good games 🤷‍♂️

Harsh I know.

I can imagine series S will have less than desirable ports in the future, as the gen goes further along like with Xbox one, but I can't imagine bossa games will be the people pushing any hardware.

Maybe some developers don't want waste the extra time and money needed to optomise for the XSS?
They better release exclusive to PS5 then? The bigger high end plattform and avoid PC and its myriad of hw combinations like the plague if they have only very limited ressources.
They should pretend to develop multiplatform, ask Sony for some exclusive deal- lol- and forget that Xbox even exists. Since XSX alone won't sell fuckton of copies and should not be target for such a studio.

Or they even more cleverly just target exactly XSS. Which should then result in code and assets that would be easier to make run on XSX, PS5 and many PCs. Make an Indie game like their abilities obviously anyway are limited to?

GreatnessRD

Lol while I agree with ur sentiment, ps3 had a ludicrous price. This sounds like an incompetent developer that doesnt have the resources companies alike Ubisoft and others do. I mean, they got cyberpunk running at 60fps.on it and that dumb ass matrix tech demo that ppl salivate their nutsacks over. So it's a capable machine. And if it isn't, then run the game at 900p or less and tend of story
I guess that's a fair assessment.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Aka.
We made a game in 2022 that looks worse that Batman Arkham Knight from 2015, made a terrible PC port and make it to work on PS5/Series X at 30FPS only, but we are gonna blame Series S

That guys?
Rocksteady's the dev team working on Suicide Squad, not Gotham Knights

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So the Rocksteady Dev....who didn't work on Gotham Knights posits:
The Series S GPU caused the PS5 version to be locked 30fps?

giphy.gif

On Topic
Bossa Studio is complaining about the power of the Series S?
Mate when this is your portfolio be happy you are even considered a console developer, cuz this is some mobile gaming shit right here:
maxresdefault.jpg

If the Series S is causing them so much grief, just publish exclusively on PC and PS5.....im sure Sony have been champing at the bit to announce I Am Fish 2 as being a console exclusive at their the next showcase.

Klosshufvud

He talks about Many studios talking about it. His studio might not be one of them.

Is this a surprise to anyone, seems to come up every few months. Recently Digital Foundry said developers had issues with the memory allocation in the Series S.

Console warriors make sure any discussion round this topic is short lived.
What are those "many studios"? If you can't get your game to run on Series S, chances are you're not getting it to run on any PC that isn't high-end either. They got MSFS working on it just fine and that game is heavy on the CPU side of calculations. And unless you're making the 2022 equivalent of Crysis (I Am Fish devs are not doing this), then it's all just whining being forced to actually do some work.

SomeGit

Even Microsoft's own games on Windows don't use it which is bizarre.
The SDK only came out this year for PC.
So the Rocksteady Dev....who didn't work on Gotham Knights posits:
The Series S GPU caused the PS5 version to be locked 30fps?

giphy.gif

On Topic
Bossa Studio is complaining about the power of the Series S?
Mate when this is your portfolio be happy you are even considered a console developer, cuz this is some mobile gaming shit right here:
maxresdefault.jpg

If the Series S is causing them so much grief, just publish exclusively on PC and PS5.....im sure Sony have been champing at the bit to announce I Am Fish 2 as being a console exclusive at their the next showcase.
Exclusive to the PS5 Pro because the base PS5 was holding back their vision of something that looks like a 4K version of a Switch title at a dynamic 30 frames per second.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Usually the deleted tweets are the something burger. Sounds like he just got a lot of shit from people and couldn't defend his point.
These are his tweets:

I wish gamers understood what 60fps means, in terms of all of the things they *lose* to make the game run that fast. Especially taking into account that we have a current gen console thats not much better than a last gen one. https://t.co/JNn1qYAbNP; Lee Devonald (@LeeDevonald) October 15, 2022

Series S GPU mostly. Multi-platform games always have to optimise for the lowest performer. — Lee Devonald (@LeeDevonald) October 15, 2022

The Deries S exists though. and Microsoft won;t let you launch on one without the other. And entire generation of games, hamstrung by that potato.; Lee Devonald (@LeeDevonald) October 15, 2022

Even Microsoft's own games on Windows don't use it which is bizarre.
The SDK only came out this year.
What Microsoft games could have been developed around DirectStorage and been released between April and now?

Exclusive to the PS5 Pro because the base PS5 was holding back their vision of something that looks like a 4K version of a Switch title at a dynamic 30 frames per second.
They could atleast have a tech demo of something that looks like it would workout the nextgen machines.
Then I could take ohh its the Series S holding us back statements seriously.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I mean ultimatley publishers can give microsoft an ultimatum, especially if their games sell significantly better on playstation to begin with. Drop series s requirements or we drop xbox all together

GHG

Anyone posting anything on a public account with their real name related to their real job is a moron. I think he realized he's a moron shortly after posting it.

"He makes shit games", "he's a moron".

Keep it up guys. Ali Salehi has been here before.

The SDK only came out this year.

I was under the impression that it had been available for longer than that but if that's the case then fair enough.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"He makes shit games", "he's a moron".

Keep it up guys. Ali Salehi has been here before.
If you're a huge fan of his games then that's fine. I tried them, and they're not for me. And I like indie games and AA games a lot.

As far as my quoted comment, it's just obviously true. Why do you comment on a public account about your job like this? He's put out multiple games on Gamepass also. The guy is fine making business deals with MS but also publicly talks shit on them? Someone on his team probably let him know how much of an idiot he was being. Do you think that's a great idea?

DaGwaphics

First recommendation, don't waste time in meetings asking for things you are NEVER going to get and spend that time optimizing for the XSS. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The technologies available have never been more flexible than they are today. Just look at how low-end you can go with the PC Spiderman remaster, iGPUs can hit 30fps. They'll manage.

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
Too early to tell.
Most of the games n engines do not have RDNA 2 tech implemented AT ALL.
No Mesh shaders, no Direct Storage or Sampler Feedback that will bring huge jumps in fidelity compared to the previous gen, even on Series S.
And it will take some time to implement them. Cos in some cases it will require a radical change in the workflow

Last edited:

GHG

If you're a huge fan of his games then that's fine. I tried them, and they're not for me. And I like indie games and AA games a lot.

As far as my quoted comment, it's just obviously true. Why do you comment on a public account about your job like this? He's put out multiple games on Gamepass also. The guy is fine making business deals with MS but also publicly talks shit on them? Someone on his team probably let him know how much of an idiot he was being. Do you think that's a great idea?

At the end of the day he can do what he wants. This information harms nobody and anybody with a bit of common sense could see this would end up being the case at some point for some developers dependent on their ambitions.

It's not about whether or not I like his games, that's irrelevant. All I'm doing is pointing out the blatant attempts at discrediting by any means possible, all because some people don't like the information he's provided.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
At the end of the day he can do what he wants. This information harms nobody and anybody with a bit of common sense could see this would end up being the case at some point for some developers dependent on their ambitions.

It's not about whether or not I like his games, that's irrelevant. All I'm doing is pointing out the blatant attempts at discrediting by any means possible, all because some people don't like the information he's provided.
It's not like it's just ad hominem. If someone claims that the Series S is holding back their games, then the first thing I'd do is look at their games.

Do you think it makes sense for him to blame the system specs, given what he's putting out? Meanwhile, God of War Ragnarok is coming out on PS4 in 2 weeks. Apparently not as next-gen as I Am Bread.

Top Bottom