• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Why Baldur’s Gate III is an accidental PS5 console exclusive

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Rockstar always pushes the tech with their games. RD2 was great all round. It also reviewed really well. So your opinion on its game design is a outlier. Rockstar pretty much always makes great games. We will see with GTA 6 though because some of their key people left like dan houser.
Imo RS games have been shit for 20 years straight. RDR and 3D GTA control and play like games from the PS2 era.
I can already see them pulling the „mission failed“ shit again, because the player deviated an inch from the narrow path set by RS.

I have absolutely no clue why it’s such a phenomenon. The same game not called GTA would review super bad.

TrueGrime

Heads should roll at Microsoft for this sort of blunder.

I guess this can still work in Microsoft's favor. Starfield releases September 1st in early access and then the 6th for full release. BG3 already released for PC so there's no fight for RPG space there and since BG3 will release later on Xbox consoles, Starfield will take main stage for Xbox RPG's in early September then Phantom Liberty in late September, and BG3 whenever.

I mean it still sucks but September is packed and I personally wouldn't even been considering playing BG3 anytime soon as an Xbox player. :)

Fabieter

It’s a small studio that doesn’t have the time nor the manpower to pull this off simultaneously. A friend of mine is playing the game without problems on his ancient (gtx1060) PC. Typical clickbait.

Does he play it in splitscreen. Some areas are really heavy on my rig playing in splitscreen.

Fredrik

I guess this can still work in Microsoft's favor. Starfield releases September 1st in early access and then the 6th for full release. BG3 already released for PC so there's no fight for RPG space there and since BG3 will release later on Xbox consoles, Starfield will take main stage for Xbox RPG's in early September then Phantom Liberty in late September, and BG3 whenever.

I mean it still sucks but September is packed and I personally wouldn't even been considering playing BG3 anytime soon as an Xbox player. :)
It is true that BG3 would compete with Starfield in september but I think the games are different enough that they can coexist.

What about those who like turnbased RPGs?
Fantasy themed RPGs?
DnD?
RPGs you can play online with friends?

What will they play?

And why not just delay the splitscreen feature????
They’re doing it with Forza. Is splitscreen roleplaying such a popular thing that it’s worth delaying the game to have it in? Are millions of people playing BG3 splitscreen on PC or what’s the deal?

Last edited:

TrueGrime

It is true that BG3 would compete with Starfield in september but I think the games are different enough that they can coexist.

Fantasy themed RPGs?
DnD?

What will they play?

They’re doing it with Forza. Is splitscreen roleplaying such a popular thing that it’s worth delaying the game to have it in? Are millions of people playing BG3 splitscreen on PC or what’s the deal?

You either play it on PC, wait, for find another RPG alternative. It's as simple as that. Not like it's never coming. BG3 isn't the first game Xbox folk will have to wait for post launch and for experienced gamers on all consoles, I'd say most of us are accustomed to waiting for something we want to play.

Delaying for splitscreen is 100% dumb, I'll agree with you there. The Forza folk chose not to have it as a launch feature, rather than risk an entire game delay. I'd have to think that the Xbox suits are more concerned with the release of what might be their biggest game of the generation first before concentrating on what to do with BG3.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Fantasy themed RPGs?
DnD?

What will they play?

Co-op is BG3 not only amazingly fun, it also makes the game very different from a solo experience. It was the same with Divinity 2. Seriously, Xbox dropped a ball from a fucking cliff with this one.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Co-op is BG3 not only amazingly fun, it also makes the game very different from a solo experience. It was the same with Divinity 2. Seriously, Xbox dropped a ball from a fucking cliff with this one.
I have lots of friends who’re playing BG3 right now and yeah nobody is playing solo, but none are playing it split screen, everybody is just playing online.

Maybe splitescreen will be more popular on console idk but MS should’ve asked if Larian could release the game as planned and update it with the splitscreen feature later.

Also, getting all those graphics to run twice, isn’t it going to force it down into some 30fps nonsense again?

Last edited:
Yep Series X owners don't have to be punished for this.
Except as far as we know Series X owners are the minority. Yes, you paid more upfront, but since you paid the same for the games you are not actually contributing more to profitability. Your Gamepass fees are the same, right? Thus there is no ground for you to demand special treatment over Series S owners.

Microsoft fucked up. I always said they should have had a digital series x for $399 instead, but they tried to be clever and have a cheaper console thinking they would be able to take marketshare from sony. What's happening instead is them being in decline at year 3 and getting outsold over 2 to 1 currently in the US. Which is supposed to be their strongest market. This generation is a total failure for them that's somehow even worse than the last one.

Last edited:
Except as far as we know Series X owners are the minority. Yes, you paid more upfront, but since you paid the same for the games you are not actually contributing more to profitability. Your Gamepass fees are the same, right? Thus there is no ground for you to demand special treatment over Series S owners.

This isn't a gamepass title.

Mung

Only people who were incredibly short sighted thought series S wouldn't be an issue. It was obvious it would happen to anyone who has observed game console cycles. Now it's clearly proving to be the case perhaps even earlier than you would expect given the extended cross gen period.

Last edited:

emivita

Sony should sell a special PS5 bundle with a second controller and BG3 just to make fun of MS.

Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

Heads should roll at Microsoft for this sort of blunder.
Will go down in gaming history as Xbox’s greatest blunder. Greater than RROD and tvtvtvtvkinecttvtvtvalwaysonline.
This blunder is increasingly looking like it will kill off xbox hardware entirely. I bet you though, such is the institutional despotism at microsoft that heads will not roll and be spun as some kind of genius pivot as “leaders in gaming”

People testing on PC says 900p on medium with Split Screen uses 3.5gb of Vram......that's about where you would think the Series S version would be.
As usual you completely miss the point. That's only video ram requirements. Split-screen will also require double of CPU logic.

Besides one dev said that Xbox Series consoles scale differently than PC meaning for all we know it could need 4.5GB of vram on Xbox.

Three

This isn't a gamepass title.
That's true but the persons point still stands though. S/He said the game prices are the same and it's likely MS are taking a bigger hit on the X so for MS' business they would prefer to treat Series S as more of a priority than the X. Series X owners don't contribute more was what they were saying, sold games or gamepass.

Last edited:

John Wick

My guess is 8GB + the 6gb vram but I’d have to ask him. Game needs optimization and it’s a small studio, big deal. When Rogue Legacy 2 launched on Xbox first, the narrative here was that it must have been moneyhatted even though the developers themselves confirmed that they simply didn’t have enough manpower to focus on multiple systems….in the case of bg3 of course it must be the fault of the series s. It’s holding everybody back even though forza horizon alone should have proven that that’s bullshit.
Forza Horizon is so taxing even the Xbox One could run it......not quite the bait you thought it was

Maybe splitescreen will be more popular on console idk but MS should’ve asked if Larian could release the game as planned and update it with the splitscreen feature later.
Historically, plataform holders have a clause that demands parity of content for any game launching on different plataforms. Pc, playstation, Xbox or Nintendo. There are exceptions, for example if there is a hardware limitation: psvr for instance.
Think of old Assassin's Creed games, they had exclusive missions on PS3, but you had to download it from PSN because MS demand the exact same content at launch inside the discs.

This is probably why Larian did not just remove splitscreen co-op from Xbox consoles and patch it later.

They had to offer splitscreen for both series AND obligatorily for playstation, Pc and xbox

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well on PC the difference between single and split screen seems to be about 30 mb according to these screens here so the problem might be elsewhere..

It may need a larger caching pool which won't display on the overlay (for different parts of the map, etc.). The fact of the matter, is the min-spec on the PC is more RAM than what's inside the S.

twilo99

On PC we should be able to check how much v ram the game pulls at medium settings and some lower resolution that the xss would potentially be running at..

I saw some numbers I don’t trust it so I’ll give it a go on my PC later

Now put your characters in opposite sides of the map

Oh I see, if you that the difference will jump significantly?

twilo99

It should, as the game will need to have complete different sets of assets loaded in memory.

Also, its very likely the part of the game that is actually giving trouble is act 3, as it takes part in a massively dense city enviroment.

That makes sense and it should be easy enough to test/verify on PC and see what’s going on with the memory at least, we obviously can’t see the caching pool.

I think medium settings, sub 1080p resolution, turn on split screen and go to Act3 and check the memory usage..

Tommi84

Well that's what happens when you cheap out on gaming. You pay less you get less.
But that's not the premise Microsoft built on in relation to Series S. Don't you remember that video 'it's the same features just lower resolution?'. I know MS pulled the video down already, but I remember :X

Top Bottom