• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MANY developers have been sitting in meetings for the past year desperately trying to get Series S launch requirements dropped"

Tweets deleted.
Print sceen of them:

Ffgi01_XEAA2KTn

Ian Maclure, VFX Artist for Bossa Studios has admitted that this is happening more and more, specially as games are going to be more and more next-gen only.

Will Series S hold back multiplatform games? How can this issue even be sorted out?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's nice for those developers, but Microsoft aren't going to let them off the hook that easily. The minute they start limiting games to XSX only is the minute they admit complete failure. The XSS is supposed to play all the same games at a lower performance level.

It can run Flight Simulator. It can run anything these other devs are making. If it impacts your production pipeline, that's a shame, but you're also putting it out on more systems in the end.

Last edited:
Ah yes, Bossa studios. How would gaming even survive without those guys?
He talks about Many studios talking about it. His studio might not be one of them.

Is this a surprise to anyone, seems to come up every few months. Recently Digital Foundry said developers had issues with the memory allocation in the Series S.

Console warriors make sure any discussion round this topic is short lived.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
They should if they want to.

I am going to go on enjoying my series s in the meanwhile. Although Plague Tale 2 will be on my PC.

I agree with this, if players like this are happy having less games and more console exclusives on PlayStation I think they should do it.

I mean I own both a Series X and PS5, so if they can make my games better on my PS5 by fucking over the xbox players I say go for it.

Last edited:

Three

It can run Flight Simulator. It can run anything these other devs are making. If it impacts your production pipeline, that's a shame, but you're also putting it out on more systems in the end.
I bet a lot of Series S owners aren't actually buying the games there anyway but more Series X/PS5 players are. I suspect that a lot of Series S owners own it as a complementary gamepass machine. Only reason it would make sense to hold meetings to stop the requirement for a Series S release.
Rocksteady dev recently said the same thing complaining that ‘Microsoft won’t let you launch on one without the other.’ No reason why you would want to stop releasing there unless your investment isn't translating into sales.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
First off who the fuck is Ian and who the fuck is Bossa.

Developers need to try harder the CPU is the same just push it at 1080p30fps

What cross system game is currently better looking than Forza Horizon on xbox? I’m struggling to think of one. Will Rockstar get GTA6 running on the XS? They will.

That's nice for those developers, but Microsoft aren't going to let them off the hook that easily. The minute they start limiting games to XSX only is the minute they admit complete failure. The XSS is supposed to play all the same games at a lower performance level.

Only if games were all Flight Simulator type of games. But they are not all Flight simulator clones, are they?

XSS has much less memory dedicated for games so for some kind of games, the XSS will impact game design on others system, XSX and PS5. At some point reducing asset resolution and buffers size won't be enough to put the same game on XSS. We suspect some games already don't feature RT on XSS because RT needs more system memory to work.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
There is no way Microsoft would drop Series S requirement. Maybe half of all Xbox consoles sold this gen is Series S.

But it's baffling to be honest. Because I did not find any game that is using stuff like SFS, DirectStorage etc. Stuff that is crucial to get Series S to work. Also, few devs are actually using FSR, which will also help immensely.

Like, if you develop your game "on PS5" as your primary platform and then try to make a quick port to Series S, it's logical, that it is not going to work.

anthony2690

Banned
I am looking at the dudes profile, he made that crappy I am fish game that was according to another user here, was only 30fps on series X. 🤷‍♂️

How dare the Series S hold back this crappy game...

I can imagine further in the gen though, the series s may get less than desirable ports when games start taxing series X/ps5 more.

How is plague tale requiem on series s?

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Only if games were all Flight Simulator type of games. But they are not all Flight simulator clones, are they?

XSS has much less memory dedicated for games so for some kind of games, the XSS will impact game design on others system, XSX and PS5. At some point reducing asset resolution and buffers size won't be enough to put the same game on XSS. We suspect some games already don't feature RT on XSS because RT needs more system memory to work.
You maybe right. But you know what? There is a clever thing called SFS that should get around memory limitations of Series S. And I did not find any report about a game using it.

Like, if you are not using whole tools that GDK is providing you, can you really complain about "bottleneck?"

Cyberpunkd

You mean like a PC? Which Xbox is with streamlined UI and form factor?

Also, when did anecdotal evidence became fact? OP made a tread out of a two tweets by a single dev, bad bad OP.

Angry Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Three

Just ignore it, make a Xbox Series X version and then at the end... 720p, low settings at 20-30fps. DONE, S version?

What are the requirements for the S version of a game anyways?
MS most likely would not certify that. I suspect that even right now they push back at 30fps on Series S vs 60fps on Series X/PS5. Try and release a 20fps 720p game and they will not let you release.

Last edited:

GymWolf

They have the PS4 instead.
Sony is gonna leave ps4 behind sooner or later, M is gonna have series S for the entire gen.

Sony has made some nextgen only game in the first 2 years but i don't think there is a single M game that doesn't run on series S.

The only thing in favour of M is that series is more capable than a ps4 even just for the cpu/ssd and slowdown the progress way less.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Of course both Series S and old PC hardware are going to hold game development back. The fact anyone argues against this is crazy. Weaker hardware means games cannot push boundaries as much. The insistence of developing for Series S and older graphics cards and processors automatically means your game is going to be hamstrung.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is a lot more work and downgrading... YOu can't just make fully next gen anymore as it has to be S compatible.
So You make the game S compatible and then run higher res/fps on ps5/xsx....
Or You make it for ps5/xsx and then try to figure out how to make it run on S without doing 720p...

Sucks ass. This gen was suppsoed to be an easy gen to dev for because CPUS are finally great and IO is amazing.

And why would S evne exist ?! It's only 100$ cheaper than ps5 digital and so much weaker. It is pointless and stupid that m$ segregated market like that

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

XSS has much less memory dedicated for games so for some kind of games, the XSS will impact game design on others system, XSX and PS5. At some point reducing asset resolution and buffers size won't be enough to put the same game on XSS. We suspect some games already don't feature RT on XSS because RT needs more system memory to work

Lol no there is no ceiling on how much memory you can reduce by reducing textures and shadows .. ect. 90% of the memory at any given time is all bitmap and sound data.

as you said if it can’t run rt then just turn it off. Lol 🤷‍♂️

I mean you can still run any game out on a GeForce 970 if you turn enough settings down.
It’s not rocket science.

Corndog

Banned
I agree with this, if players like this are happy having less games and more console exclusives on PlayStation I think they should do it.

I mean I own both a Series X and PS5, so if they can make my games better on my PS5 by fucking over the xbox players I say go for it.
They survived the ps3. I’m sure they can survive this.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Indeed not, but it's just one example - and I'm not saying it won't impact game design on beefier systems, but Microsoft already decided to release a budget console with the promise that it will play the same library of games. To walk back that promise so soon after they already shipped however many units would be an incredibly bad look. Guess it depends how well it's selling to what markets and if they think they can get away with it.

I Master l

Banned
If they can't get a game running acceptably on the XSS they either aren't trying or they've got some fundamental design problems.
The can go as low as 720p/30, not good but why should anyone care except Series S owners? if a game cannot
run at this resolution on the Series S probably it will also run like shit on the big machines, Previous generations
we used to have vastly different console configurations and devs ported their games to them no problem, it's
obvious devs are becoming lazy as shit

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

As always stated, the Series S was stupid from the jump. While I empathize with those less than who can't afford the cutting edge, they have to wait for sales or save up like I did once upon a time. I couldn't afford a PS3 in 2006. I didn't get my first one until 2008 and the MGS4 bundle. Had to save and plan for it. IF this is true, hopefully it finally reaches Microsoft and progress can be done.

Top Bottom