• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MANY developers have been sitting in meetings for the past year desperately trying to get Series S launch requirements dropped"

Even with the missing feature set they won’t drop it. They’re already in too deep with it.
Thankfully the XSS isn't missing any current gen features so you can rest easy. MS wouldn't drop the system responsible for them being competitive on consoles this generation.

use lower texture sizes, run lower res effects,

also going forward with Direct Storage the smaller memory pool of the S gets a lot of help from the SSD. 6+GB per second load speed with direct storage should help load higher res textures when needed.

sampler feedback streaming additionally will help with only loading the parts and mips of textures that are needed in that moment.

current games will have more issues with the memory of the S than games down the line as all of the stuff that can shrink the needed amount of memory aren't really in use yet or only in rudimental forms
Yup detractors never acknowledge the XSS hasn't had it's memory saving features even used yet. If a game like God of War Ragnarök can run on a PS4 the XSS will be just fine this generation.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm interested what the Series S can't do at 1080p that is achieved by the Series X or PS5 at 4k. What is the issue or bottleneck?
I think the issue is that not all games are going to be targeting full native 4K on the current gen, so scaling down proportionally would mean targeting less than 1080p on Series S or making other cuts.

For most games it's fine, and XSS is probably the best value in gaming now that it's $200 for the holiday, but I can see where it would.be difficult for games that are already really pushing the PS5/XSX to the limit and targeting sub 4K and 30fps, there isn't necessarily an easy way to scale that down. Still much better than cross gen development though which is still the standard.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

i will repeat. The memory pools of both consoles are differently sized. One has 10 gb, other has 16 gb. render tech isn't what causes game design and scaling issues. Rendering is the easiest thing to scale. THe memory pool isn't used just for rendering, you know that right?
It's split pools as well which further complicates things.

I wouldn’t say it’s as powerful as XSX but each to their own.
No one ever said the XSS was as powerful as the XSX. That wasn't the point. It does have the same feature set and is more than capable of playing this generation's games as evidenced by Flight Simulator and the Matrix demo. The complaints are overblown.

bitbydeath

No one ever said the XSS was as powerful as the XSX. That wasn't the point. It does have the same feature set and is more than capable of playing this generation's games as evidenced by Flight Simulator and the Matrix demo. The complaints are overblown.
It’d need the same GPU and memory components to have the same feature set.

It does have some of the same though.

It’d need the same GPU and memory components to have the same feature set.

It does have some of the same though.
Completely false. GPU and memory would help with better graphical effects and higher resolutions but for features the systems are the same minus the blu-ray drive.

bitbydeath

Completely false. GPU and memory would help with better graphical effects and higher resolutions but for features the systems are the same minus the blu-ray drive.

That’s obviously a lie, but don’t let me ruin your denial.

source.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
No. I was asking why Xbox one and ps4 wouldn’t be the systems holding devs back 😂
You're not alone in this lol, but even if did in the future (as some cry about), I'd appreciate some 60 fps games on XSX (but the overhead won't be enough even if that were the case)... Curiously enough, some ignore the fact that there's no XSS dev kit and that the games are developed on the XSX dev kit and adjusted to XSS as modern vintage gamer said on an interview some weeks ago

Last edited:
what really gets me is that Microsoft failed to distinguish between Xbox One X and Xbox Series S. Is it better to buy One X or Series S? At least I get to play non-RT 4k games on One X.

I can't emphasize this enough: You can have PC gaming on Console like form factor now, they just need to have the Xbox UI within Windows 11, and you are good to go. They will always win the hardware war every year. PC master race will no longer complain on how console games are holding PC games back. The only thing holding PC gaming back will be PlayStation and Nintendo. They just need to make a standard model like there surface series, and then OEMs will follow.

Another thing Microsoft needs to do is convert there x86 games to ARM format-I don't mean emulation. I mean Native. There competition isn't really PlayStation, it is Google and Apple. If they can make Windows 11 on ARM run better on beefed up ARM specs on small phablet like form factor with native ARM games and do cellular things using wifi and 5G, they can get back into the mobile space and shit on google and Apple.

Top Bottom