• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MANY developers have been sitting in meetings for the past year desperately trying to get Series S launch requirements dropped"

Rykan

People need to stop piling on the man for giving his opinion. It doesn't really matter where he works: Game developers are very connected, and it's pretty obvious that he's talking about other developers as well.

"Hurdur he made this game that's not technically impressive, what a joke" yea and what are YOUR credentials, mfer? How many games have you made?

A lot of people seem to think that, in all cases, all you have to do is change a few settings and drop the resolution and there you go: series s version. Developers from larger and more well known developers, such as remedy, have also pointed out that its not that simple.

Personally, I don't quite understand how anyone can look at the series S specs and then honesty believe that it will have no impact on game development.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF
Ian Maclure, man. You know... from BOSSA STUDIOS?

Three

I am looking at the dudes profile, he made that crappy I am fish game that was according to another user here, was only 30fps on series X. 🤷‍♂️

How dare the Series S hold back this crappy game...

I can imagine further in the gen though, the series s may get less than desirable ports when games start taxing series X/ps5 more.

How is plague tale requiem on series s?

Bit harsh attacking the messenger. He is telling you that MANY developers are having meetings for the past year to drop the requirement. That "crappy game" released for all consoles including xbox one. He is talking about next gen games and what devs have been asking for. He's just telling you how it is even though you might not like what he's saying.

Ansphn

The Series S holds back next gen gaming and it would be made clear within 2 years when PlayStation exclusives out shine every game that is also on Series S because Microsoft is forcing that potato on gaming Devs.

Sony is going to strategically use that weakness of Xbox to make exclusive deals with 3rd party studios especially after they release PS5 Pro and the power leaves Series S even further behind.

Sony will tell 3rd party studios that are struggling with Series S why delay your games when you can make an exclusive deal with PlayStation and release your games on PS5 and PS5 Pro while figuring out how to port the PS5 version to the potato within that year exclusivity deal. Why let the potato hold you back from making millions?

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Comparison to PC is silly. If your PC is too slow to run a game, that is your problem, nobody cares. Much different than having a low power console as base line that has to run the game.
Bullshit. Devs know what hardware their audience have. And they want...you know...sell the game to the widest possible audience.

Why tf do you think EA waited 2 years to make FIFA on PC "next-gen" and devs of NBA did not make PC version of NBA 2K "next-gen" to this date?

Do you really think that if games like CS:GO, Lol or Dota 2 required RTX 2080 they would be as popular as they are now?

Last edited:

ungalo

Personally, I don't quite understand how anyone can look at the series S specs and then honesty believe that it will have no impact on game development.
I don't think anyone is saying that, i hope so. But it's hard to assess the full implications, what means "impact on game development". Where the whining starts and ends in this kind of statement made by game devs who bash their heads facing multiple practical problems that we don't know about but are just part of making games.

I wished Microsoft never released this console but on the other hand it does seem like a good piece of hardware for people not willing to invest a lot in a new generation that's been really bad for me so far.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I'd imagine in the next year or so, those restriction will be lifted. Developers can just skip the Series S
Mate, you can forget about that.

Even if Series S was "limiting factor" Microsoft won't lift requirement. While exact numbers on Series X vs. Series S sales are not known, we know that in many countries (Japan, UK) Series X and Series S are neck-in-neck in terms of consoles sold.

There is no way, Microsoft will dump 9 million Series S (currently) owners.

mxbison

Bullshit. Devs know what hardware their audience have. And they want...you know...sell the game to the widest possible audience.

Why tf do you think EA waited 2 years to make FIFA on PC "next-gen" and devs of NBA did not make PC version of NBA 2K "next-gen" to this date?

Do you really think that if games like CS:GO, Lol or Dota 2 required RTX 2080 they would be as popular as they are now?

EA had the ps4/xb1 versions of those games anyway so they decided to go for the maximum userbase on PC.

When devs stop doing cross-gen and focus on "next-gen" they still have to keep the series S as the base line. You really want to tell me minimum specs don't matter? Even for mobile games it's a pretty big thing in concept phase....

CS, Lol, and Dota 2 are 10+ years old...

Three

If they wanted Series S sales they wouldn't be holding meetings asking for the requirement to be dropped. What if the Series S owners aren't the type to buy the games you make and sell? What if a large chunk of Series S owners don't buy games at all?

ACESHIGH

Banned
Not surprising. Devs will always try to slack and complain about not enough resources to run their games. Indie games in particular:

"snif snif my first person horror asset flip does not run on a series S or lower end PC, we don't have enough man hours to optimize please subsidize our lack of talent, resources and management skills by buying overpowered hardware"

- invented quote but I can imagine blobber team saying it.

The cool thing is, the new next gen baseline is not the Series S but the upcoming Nintendo switch 2 which should have similar specs to an 8th gen console. Switch will have 120M users willing to migrate to a next gen portable, are they willing to leave such a large user base and money on the table?

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
If they wanted Series S sales they wouldn't be holding meetings asking for the requirement to be dropped. What if the Series S owners aren't the type to buy the games you make and sell? What if a large chunk of Series S owners don't buy games at all?
Yup. aprox. 8-9 million Series owners don't buy games. Don't play games on Game Pass (where devs are developing their games for). They are just using it as a counterweight.

I understand what devs are trying to do. They are always doing it. They "made" Microsoft raise RAM on X360 and they "made" Sony raise RAM to 8GB for PS4. They will always fight for "more flexibility." It's not malicious or anything like that.

From Microsoft's side, it is simple. Develop for both, or for none. You can develop for PS5 only and then pray that your decision to ignore second big platform will not bite you in the ass.

Three

Yup. aprox. 8-9 million Series owners don't buy games. Don't play games on Game Pass (where devs are developing their games for). They are just using it as a counterweight.
What if a developer wants to sell games and not be viable only on gamepass by MS giving them a moneyhat? You clearly are out of the dev circle where this was a raised concern for being viable on xbox especially for some of the smaller devs.
From Microsoft's side, it is simple. Develop for both, or for none. You can develop for PS5 only and then pray that your decision to ignore second big platform will not bite you in the ass.
That's what they are fighting for to be able to release on Series X and PS5.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
Anyone have recent numbers on how what SeriesX sales unit sales are compared to Series S? Wasn't the S leading by a 3:1 margin or more?
That's a lot more game pass revenue generated, a lot more people gaming in their ecosystem, made possible by a cheaper console lowering the barrier to entry, and getting a foothold into people's homes. We might underestimate how many people primarily play Fortnite, Destiny, Apex, CoD, Minecraft - the S is perfect for them. Hell I bought one just for having xbox in a second room.

I don't think MS made a bad business decision at all. I get it. But, I do agree the RAM on the S must be a nightmare for developers and it certainly must hold back what they are able to do ... I def agree that "next-gen/current gen" is being somewhat limited because of S. MS did make their bed here, so at some point they will have to lie in it. Maybe there comes a date where X/S on a game box becomes just X. Or bleeding age 2024 game is compatible with S but via cloud only.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Some think that scaling is easy like it's a toggle. It's only "easier" for res and frames

Even Phil acknowledged that it is more work

"...Absolutely, it is work. There’s no doubt about that. The fact that you have two performance specs now, I’m not going to stand here or try to PR somebody and say two different specs is the same as having one spec. It’s not. We’re doing this because we want to expand the market."

Godot25

Banned
Then the question becomes did they have access to them in the SDKs
Of course they have access.

Yet Scorn is first game to use DirectStorage. Forspoken is second known (on PC only).

VRS 2.0 is used sparingly, Mesh Shaders is not used in any game (as far as I know). Same for SFS.

So, devs have all those unused tools and many of them are literally to get around main complaint about Series S (memory) and yet they are not using them.

Godot25

Banned
What if a developer wants to sell games and not be viable only on gamepass by MS giving them a moneyhat? You clearly are out of the dev circle where this was a raised concern for being viable on xbox especially for some of the smaller devs.

That's what they are fighting for to be able to release on Series X and PS5.
I seriously doubt that "smaller devs" are pushing hardware so much that should complain about Series S. And as I said in previous post. Unless they drained every possible solution to go around limitations of Series S (which they are not) it's not really cool to complain.

They are fighting non-existent battle. Microsoft won't allow it. Anybody who thinks otherwise is clinging to false hope.

FunkMiller

The Series S holds back next gen gaming and it would be made clear within 2 years when PlayStation exclusives out shine every game that is also on Series S because Microsoft is forcing that potato on gaming Devs.

Shame that Sony are greedy cunts who want everything still cross gen and on PC, so any advantage they could have built up has been squandered thus far.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Slap in one of these bad boys and we're all good. Nothing stops this train.

s-l500.jpg

The entitlement is hilarious though. Ask for multiple difficulty levels and you're "entitled." But ask to have multiple millions of people's brand new game systems dropped so you can have slightly shinier graphics, and you're not at all a selfish prick apparently.

I'm all about the Series S price point. And frankly, if games have to target that system than maybe we'll see some Switch 2 ports in play also. It's better for Xbox and better for Nintendo, and better for consumers as well.

Anyone crying about Series S is trying to push out poorly optimized games that still don't look on par with Naughty Dog stuff on PS4. They want an easy out of working on optimization, and want you to foot the bill.

Mephisto40

Problem with this is, with the Series S selling better than the Series X, it just means this 2 version launch is going to happen gen after gen after gen now, which means xbox games are going to be servery gimped for the forceable future

Godot25

Banned
Of course they have access.

Yet Scorn is first game to use DirectStorage. Forspoken is second known (on PC only).

VRS 2.0 is used sparingly, Mesh Shaders is not used in any game (as far as I know). Same for SFS.

So, devs have all those unused tools and many of them are literally to get around main complaint about Series S (memory) and yet they are not using them.

Exactly my sentiment.

Microsoft created numerous technologies for developers to utilise with the new hardware. SFS integration in particular would alleviate potential Series S RAM bottlenecks. Combined with other technologies like VRS, FSR2 and Mesh Shaders you wonder why these guys are having such a difficult time... its almost like they aren't using any of these things at all.

It must be so infuriating for the platform holder. We still have devs pushing out cross-gen games @ 4K30fps complaining that they didn't have the power to hit 60fps. At the same time they won't implement technologies like FSR2. It makes no sense at all.

Top Bottom