• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

Kinda hope the show goes back to Mando adventures without all the Empire as bad guys stuff in the next season. It was fine a bit but I rather not the Empire just be the defacto bad guy again and we can see more exploration of the universe. Already with most of the spin offs we know the Empire is the baddie, lets take Mando back to more varied adventures that aren't just gunning down armies of stormtroopers

Fuz

Banned
So, Mando had to take off his helmet to get his face scanned.
Why? The database had his facial features and could grant access? Pedro Pascal has in his contract that his face should be seen once a season?

And let's not talk about naked punches on helmets, or Bill Burr happy to be left without anything in an unfamiliar planet.

A fucking idiotic five years old, that's who write the episodes.

oagboghi2

Why? The database had his facial features and could grant access? Pedro Pascal has in his contract that his face should be seen once a season?

And let's not talk about naked punches on helmets, or Bill Burr happy to be left without anything in an unfamiliar planet.

Why would he not be happy about being given his freedom back?

Lanrutcon

That was a great episode. Not too happy about the helm thing, but I think it goes to show that Mando is growing as a character.

Burr was excellent, the "car chase" was outstanding, and the setup for what's coming is on point.

I'm gonna say season 2 is even better than 1. Only weak episode for me so far was the Jedi one.

Kenpachii

Yea i found this stupid either and kinda killed of the char entirely. The whole thing was not seeing his face and always having this mistery on what he should be looking like. It's like reading a book u always make your own idea of a person and that worked really well. Sadly they had to kill this off with this episode and yea at this point he becomes kinda a generic char again.

not a fan.

Reactions: Fuz

ManaByte

Yea i found this stupid either and kinda killed of the char entirely. The whole thing was not seeing his face and always having this mistery on what he should be looking like. It's like reading a book u always make your own idea of a person and that worked really well. Sadly they had to kill this off with this episode and yea at this point he becomes kinda a generic char again.

not a fan.

He took his helmet off in Season 1 also.

Kenpachii

He took his helmet off in Season 1 also.

His face was completely fucked and a robot saw him for a second. i didn't like it either but it made somewhat sense somehow. Now it just felt shoehorned in there hard with one goal to show his face. They could have just recorded the back of his head for a second and then he puts the helmet on again and done or put the machine in a corner where there was no sight on him. Or even get bill to go in there distract people and move to him while he scans and reseats his helmet the moment bill turns around and he's done which would be the best.

It felt straight up pushing to show his face for some reason for a long time which for the series doesn't make a lot of sense at all. And frankly for me it killed of the mandalorian as character a bit. I rather had him being a mysterious guy under a suit u don't know how he looks like to keep that idea going for pretty much the entire run with maybe at the end of the series revealing how he looks like.

Sadly didn't happen. Guess they can drop the helmet now entirely tho what's the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

ManaByte

His face was completely fucked and a robot saw him for a second. i didn't like it either but it made somewhat sense somehow. Now it just felt shoehorned in there hard. They could have just recorded the back of his head for a second and then he puts the helmet on again and done or put the machine in a corner where there was no sight on him. Or even get bill to go in there destract people and move to him while he scans and reseats his helmet the moment bill turns around and he's done which would be even better.

It felt straight up pushing to show his face for some reason for a long time which for the series doesn't make a lot of sense at all.

No this episode made more sense than the first one where he showed his face. Burr just finished telling him that beliefs stop mattering when the cause is important enough. Finding the kid to him was more important than believing he had to hide his face all the time.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

No this episode made more sense than the first one where he showed his face. Burr just finished telling him that beliefs stop mattering when the cause is important enough. Finding the kid to him was more important than believing he had to hide his face all the time.

The whole episode was set around revealing his face in a long peroid of time. they could have filmed in all kinds of ways or made the story whatever they wanted. They wanted to reveal his face for a long period of time and frankly it kills the character to the point why even bother still with the helmet at this point. They kinda killed off his only thing in the serie that made him stand out.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
The helmet is his religiously fueled identity. The face is practically the mask. It’s a little Batman-esque, but further.

He might have had to bend that rule to rescue something that means so incredibly much to him, but that structure is likely still well in place in him.

131437455_10157388887672553_7565340069220030885_n.jpg

yup

Dazraell

The whole episode was set around revealing his face in a long peroid of time. they could have filmed in all kinds of ways or made the story whatever they wanted. They wanted to reveal his face for a long period of time and frankly it kills the character to the point why even bother still with the helmet at this point. They kinda killed off his only thing in the serie that made him stand out.

I always thought the entire premise of this series is not a story about a bounter hunter in a helmet, but a story about a Mandalorian who is figuring what exactly means to be "The Mandalorian".

Over the course of the series we learned that Din was a part of the group that cultivated their old ways and this particular branch never took their helmets off. During his journey's he was confronted with his beliefs more than once. He met multiple Mandalorians, either true ones (Bo-Katan), foundlings (Boba Fett) or imposters (Cobb Vanth) who were taking their helmets off.

Having a main character removing his helmet and redefining his inner views about Mandalorians as a creed is something that will definitely be explored in the future. It's also a very interesting and subtle detail about his own personal evolution he went through since the beginning.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Gonna miss Bill Burr. He was such an odd choice to portray a character in a Star Wars vehicle, and yet it worked out so well. He brings levity without being all "hey look at me, I'm the comedy relief". His character's arc reached a satisfactory conclusion. Came to terms with his PTSD, put it to bed, now I can imagine him out in the galaxy someplace working as a security agent or maybe smuggling.

That final bit with Djin sending a message to the moff seemed out of character. Kind of corny too.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
When people say "That was a great episode" do you mean that as a Star Wars fan or a fan of good TV in general?

It's strange hearing people use the same words to describe Game of Thrones and The Mandolorian when, to me, they aren't remotely comparable.

I get flashbacks of the Power Rangers ("Oh shit, here comes the White Ranger!) when I'm watching Mando.

Romulus

When people say "That was a great episode" do you mean that as a Star Wars fan or a fan of good TV in general?

It's strange hearing people use the same words to describe Game of Thrones and The Mandolorian when, to me, they aren't remotely comparable.

I get flashbacks of the Power Rangers ("Oh shit, here comes the White Ranger!) when I'm watching Mando.

Yeah, it's a different thing. Mostly if I wasn't a childhood fan of the SW, the nostalgia would not be enough to keep me interested. But having said that, there are some interesting story moments where the writers actually come like writers. Rare though.

Why would he not be happy about being given his freedom back?
With no money, no food, no weapons or means of transportation, in the middle of a jungle surrounded by angry aliens and pissed off imperial troopers?
I would at least try to negotiate a ride to somewhere else.

-Arcadia-

Banned
What’s weird is that Boba Fett has probably had more screen time in these two episodes than he did in 40 years of Star Trek.

Strange how just a few minutes can make such an impression.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What’s weird is that Boba Fett has probably had more screen time in these two episodes than he did in 40 years of Star Trek.

Its kinda surreal tbh I had mini action figures of him and Slave 1 as a kid. So to see him in action finally is like seeing those toys come to life.

This season has been really good, just one thing I don't like about it, half of it consists of "take the kid here".

Mando gets to where he's told to go and it turns out that the people there can help, but only if he helps them first. Then after he helps them its...what you really want is on this planet, rinse and repeat.

Man I can't wait for the episode toni.. this morning. Man I hope they stick the landing. Have there been any reports on episode length? I know the runtimes leaked for prior episodes. I'd love a good long episode to make up for all the shorties this season.

eot

Banned

It's a bit damning for the main character no? Mando is so fucking boring.
I liked these last two episodes way more than the rest of the show because we had an actual character on screen.

desertdroog

Its kinda surreal tbh I had mini action figures of him and Slave 1 as a kid. So to see him in action finally is like seeing those toys come to life.
Best birthday I ever had was when my mom rented out a pool and adjoining cabana room, decorated it with Empire Strikes Back decorations, had a pinata, bunch of stuff for my guests (you were going home with at least one Star Wars action figure and if you won any of the games a small vehicle or playset from Kenners Empire Strikes Back line). It was epic for a 9 year old, there was no one getting mad or jealous that is was my day, and the gold standard toy I got was Slave I, Boba Fett, and those special ordered Zuckuss & 4 Lom action figures via mail, along with IG-88, Dengar, Bossk and Darth Vader.

That party went from 9 am until the sun started to set and the parents had to take their reluctant children away from the day of fun.

It's why Boba Fett is still my favorite of the original trilogy.

Watching Boba Fett use the Tusken Raider Gderffii in a manner that looks to have it's own martial art in the last episode was fantastic. Really good exploration of Tusken Raiders as a whole in this series, which is why they are hitting the marks. They are writing good stories and exploring small characters that were in the background for the most part.

I am honest here that I watch this as a fan of the old movies. That I have seen in cinema back when the were released (except the first one, which was the first movie I ever watched in 1980 when the second one released).

For me Mando is the sequel we never got after RotJ.
Star Wars went into such a strange direction with the prequels and then the sequels. I know, for many of you younger guys all that kung fu lightsaber Jedi flying around stuff is completely normal, but I can tell you, if you were a kid in the early eighties you would have never guessed all that shit they transformed this universe into since the late 90ies.

So yeah, I don't have any idea if I would think this is "good television" if I were not a fan of the old movies.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Mando sending the message to Moff Gideon last episode I thought was dumb and out of character was made even more stupid considering how they board.

I think the episode was decent but satisfying as a conclusion to the season.

lol Bill Burr talks to you for car trip and all of sudden you just give up all of your beliefs, he just took that helmet off infront of everyone

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
That was a whole bunch of memberberries, wasn't it?

Although if you were paying attention, you'd know about the 'big reveal', it was the other thing that surprised me with everything going on in the season.

Grogu making Mando take his helmet off...

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

Holy shit what an episode.

When I saw the x wing turn up is was like “nah they’re not doing this”. And then the crazy bastards did it. CGI Luke looked a bit weird though. The head cannon in me wanted it to be Sebastian Stan and then us getting a spin off series

Starfield

that was a kinda strange reveal in the after credits scene lol

="revealing a BOOK about Boba Fett coming in 2021 - seriously? lmao"

Last edited:

Starfield

wait doesn't that finale actually mean that...

Grogu will be trained at Luke's new Jedi Temple and ultimately get slaughtered there? lol

Top Bottom