• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

GreyHorace

Didn't see anyone post these yet, but here are the latest retro comic covers from artist dvglzv:

wf062r83z8x51.jpg

q7uxg41y1fy51.jpg

8yybce6fq2161.jpg

k6hisabva4161.jpg

fay7ojbhfc261.jpg

146obtzkb7461.jpg

This is the same guy who made comic covers for season 1. Very talented.

Lanrutcon

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Fun episode like usual. Foreshadowing the First Order & a nice Attack of the Clones callback.

dan76

Yeah, enjoyable episode, plus I'm a big Bill Burr fan. Seemed a bit light compared to the last 2 but there's was a lot of cool stuff in there. Good set up for next weeks season finale. Not sure about Mandos strategy though.

GreyHorace

CHAPTER 15 THE BELIEVER

Another solid hour of great Star Wars action with some surprising development of a returning character, plus an exploration of one's beliefs, hence the episode title.

This is what Star Wars should be. Intriguing characters and good storytelling.

Bill Burr - For a comedian, Burr is a pretty good actor. The whole time we expected Migs Mayfield to betray our heroes and return back to the Empire's fold. Turns out though, Mayfield has his own reasons for not returning and has his own scores to settle. All of this conveyed through dialogue and Burr's subtle performance, painting Mayfield as more than the bad guy we saw in the first season.

You know, it occurred to me that Mayfield is the character Finn should have been in the Sequel Trilogy. It makes me laugh that Favreau and company managed to make a former Imperial a compelling character in just one 30 minute episode, whereas in three movies JJ Abrams and others couldn't even manage it.

Questioning beliefs - What the episode really about. At one point in the episode Mayfield points out to Mando that all people have personal rules they have to break when they're desperate. For Mando/Din, it's breaking his vow of not showing his face in order to save Grogu. For Mayfield, it's overcoming his sense of self preservation when confronted with the reason as to why he left the Empire, in this case the Imperial officer who caused the deaths of his comrades on the Battle of Burnin Konn. And for Cara, it's bending the rules she has to follow as newly appointed Marshal of the New Republic and her hatred of ever former Imperials like Mayfield. In the end she and Mando choose to fake his death and let him go free after he helped them.

These are all nice moments of character development and paint our protagonists with shades of grey in the otherwise Black and White Star Wars universe.

Action - Rick Famuyiwa returns to direct an episode full of great action setpieces. The chase scene being a particular highlight of the episode. Great stuff.

A solid hour of The Mandalorian that helps set up the season finale. I hope it delivers as all of these episodes this season have been good to great.

Last edited:

desertdroog

The new episode packs all sorts of heist action in the short time it runs. I appreciate the Mandalorian writers paying attention to the mechanics and details of Slave I. The Gyroscope internal crew platform keeping them upright in gravity and that
fresh paint on Boba Fett's armor
is showing there are people who give a damn about this specific series.

I am really enjoying the hodge-podge loose knit group of characters that Mando has in each episode. It reminds me of David Carridine's Kung Fu series.
Bill Burr's character redemption was worth it. Loved the sniper overwatch as they ran out of the facility. And the salutes they got from the storm troopers as they escaped the pirates.
Esprit de Corps all around!

Last edited:

JeTmAn81

Another Episode II reference geekgasm for me this week with those seismic charges. Overall this episode was solid but felt like anime filler. Basically nothing happened.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Another Episode II reference geekgasm for me this week with those seismic charges. Overall this episode was solid but felt like anime filler. Basically nothing happened.

It was just a damn good episode all around not advancing the plot but solid character development with everyone and incredibly cool set pieces. This show has turned me into a JJ hater he’s outclassed.

daveonezero

Banned
It was just a damn good episode all around not advancing the plot but solid character development with everyone and incredibly cool set pieces. This show has turned me into a JJ hater he’s outclassed.
yeah exactly. This is a setup to the next episode. I don't mind this at all. It had good action. We got a return from Mayfield. Plus we get to find out a bit more about the characters and the world they are building.

Great episode. My second favorite ever (after the spider one earlier this season).
I liked Burr, I liked the action/combat scenes, I like when Boba is on screen (yes its shallow, but he just looks so cool) and of course the seismic charge at the end was a real bit of fan service too.

HoodWinked

ya really good episode, they delved into the relative morality of what they believe and actually a decent pay off with it for Mando's scene. Though its pretty convoluted to have face scan security so that it takes any face as long as its not one in the system.

also Bill Burr shooting the imperial officer is the most Bill Burr move ever.

Starfield

ya really good episode, they delved into the relative morality of what they believe and actually a decent pay off with it for Mando's scene. Though its pretty convoluted to have face scan security so that it takes any face as long as its not one in the system.

that Imperial officer gave a REALLY good and unsettling performance though. Shoutout to the actor who played him

-Arcadia-

Banned
Whenever Rick Fawhatever directs, it seems like Mando and the action become much, much more awesome.

Example from Season 1:

The fight on the truck was pure Indiana Jones/classic Lucas and wonderful. I’d like to see everyone else on the crew up their game to match those episodes, because it’s here when I actually buy Mando being some badass.

Anyway, great episode. That whole driving sequence was fantastic. The Imperial officer was so good he reminded me a bit of Christoph Waltz in Inglorious. And it’s really cool how when Mando takes his helmet off, it seems like that’s the fake version, and the armored one is really him. Just something I noticed that matches the plot well.

Batiman

Banned
Whenever Rick Fawhatever directs, it seems like Mando and the action become much, much more awesome.

Example from Season 1:

The fight on the truck was pure Indiana Jones/classic Lucas and wonderful. I’d like to see everyone else on the crew up their game to match those episodes, because it’s here when I actually buy Mando being some badass.

Anyway, great episode. That whole driving sequence was fantastic. The Imperial officer was so good he reminded me a bit of Christoph Waltz in Inglorious. And it’s really cool how when Mando takes his helmet off, it seems like that’s the fake version, and the armored one is really him. Just something I noticed that matches the plot well.

This is my almost exact opinion on this. That scene was pure Indiana action. I feel like we don’t get that too often anymore

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I love the series and all it’s SW cheesiness, but that last threat from Mando at the end was so damn underwhelming. Great episode but that part was brutal

-Minsc-

Are the rumours true that The Mandalorian is a good modern take on old school Star Wars? Not subscribing to Disney+ but it may be a show to put on my watch list down the road.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Are the rumours true that The Mandalorian is a good modern take on old school Star Wars? Not subscribing to Disney+ but it may be a show to put on my watch list down the road.

Be patient with half of Season 1, and yes. The latter half of Season 1 was fun, and Season 2 has been a really enjoyable adventure every week kind of feel.

Stouffers

Banned

Can’t wait until they revise the scene with the officer shooting first

ManaByte

You know, I'd be up for a Tango and Cash buddy cop movie set in the Star Wars universe.

Just not with Mandos. Maybe a pair of stormtroopers.

So basically Tag and Bink?

They were in Solo, but cut:
OIP.Y5_mA1h-eh3866RwSzti7AHaD5

Kenpachii

Didn't like he put of his helmet, felt forced.

However the acting was on spot and nice. Almost want burr to become a permanent figure in the show.

GreyHorace

So basically Tag and Bink?

They were in Solo, but cut:
OIP.Y5_mA1h-eh3866RwSzti7AHaD5

Tag and Bink aren't badasses though, like Stallone and Russell were. They're more like Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly.

hero_1532468762.jpg

But I wouldn't mind seeing Tag and Bink in the NuDisney canon. Kevin Rubio's writing is pretty funny and would be great to see in any off the new Disney Star Wars media.

Just so long as they don't reference their encounters with Boba Fett. Fett's pretty hot right now after his return and I don't think fans would appreciate Boba being a made a fool of like Tag and Bink did to him on a regular basis.

6424beb06d0d05cab525a2c56e4661da._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Top Bottom