• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Mandalorian and Grogu' Film Announced, Directed by Jon Favreau

Disney seem to be going with the approach of if you chuck enough shit at a wall some of it is bound to stick. The whole franchise is a mess. This and a continuation of Ray's story are the movies they are planning? Yeah no thanks.

Clearly they didn't sell enough baby Yoda's they need to hit their internal targets so we get a movie.

A24 would be the best custodians of this franchise, after the shit Disney has put out is nuked from orbit that is.

Agreed there but A24 and the rest of Hollywood are equally as woke as Disney so there's that. Personally I can't see Hollywood surviving past 10 years from now

Last edited:
Wake me up when they announce a reboot trilogy where Luke rebuilds the Jedi Order.

Until then...

jon stewart middle finger GIF

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Is Grogu flying through space without a helmet?

Just let it die. The show is dumb now. Season one was fun. the rest have been mediocre.

Trunx81

Great to see that we went from
The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens

to this
The Mandalorian and Grogu
Ahsoka and the gay Jedi
Lesbians in Space

Stunning and brave.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Here is my pitch for this movie:

Mando (with or without Grogu at this point) is out bounty hunting a dangerous criminal. Big intro action set piece as he clears out a pirate den or whatever, but as he apprehends his man, he finds a necklace or something that sparks a memory he can't quite place. Grogu is able to do some of his new jedi shit to enhance the memory and it turns out Mando had a sister or mom with that necklace and its possible he has family left somewhere.

This leads him on a quest to find them, he recruits some old friends to help, but HE is making the decisions, HE is calling the shots, HE has the initiative and is the driving force, none of this "react to others" bullshit we've seen from him so much lately. It's a cross between Taken, The Searchers, and The Wild Bunch as his band of roughnecks has to take down seedy characters to track down his family from the pirate remnants of Separatist forces out beyond the rim.

Take it far away from the republic, the empire, mandalore, cutesy Tatooine repair droids, or any of that stuff. Keep it focused on Din, his balancing the Mandalorian teachings with the realities of outlaw remote life. Show how his code helps him resist bad temptations but also has to be flexible to new situations. It's also a chance for Grogu to mature a bit and realize the Jedi/Sith binary way isn't the only expression of the Force which is why he is absent for the ST.

So basically this can be a standalone adventure since the Mando and Grogu backstory can be summarized in about 3 lines of dialogue and it's off to the races.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Here is my pitch for this movie:

Mando (with or without Grogu at this point) is out bounty hunting a dangerous criminal. Big intro action set piece as he clears out a pirate den or whatever, but as he apprehends his man, he finds a necklace or something that sparks a memory he can't quite place. Grogu is able to do some of his new jedi shit to enhance the memory and it turns out Mando had a sister or mom with that necklace and its possible he has family left somewhere.

This leads him on a quest to find them, he recruits some old friends to help, but HE is making the decisions, HE is calling the shots, HE has the initiative and is the driving force, none of this "react to others" bullshit we've seen from him so much lately. It's a cross between Taken, The Searchers, and The Wild Bunch as his band of roughnecks has to take down seedy characters to track down his family from the pirate remnants of Separatist forces out beyond the rim.

Take it far away from the republic, the empire, mandalore, cutesy Tatooine repair droids, or any of that stuff. Keep it focused on Din, his balancing the Mandalorian teachings with the realities of outlaw remote life. Show how his code helps him resist bad temptations but also has to be flexible to new situations. It's also a chance for Grogu to mature a bit and realize the Jedi/Sith binary way isn't the only expression of the Force which is why he is absent for the ST.

So basically this can be a standalone adventure since the Mando and Grogu backstory can be summarized in about 3 lines of dialogue and it's off to the races.

Probably won't take them far away from everything else since they're still doing a Season 4 of the show and they're both obviously going to be in Filoni's Thrawn movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Space Wizards
Space Magic
Laser Swords
Fire in space
Sound in space
Space Whales
Muppets

But that takes the realism too far.
Yes. The concepts of internal consistency and suspension of disbelief DO apply to fantasy fictional stories. There ARE ways to establish "reality breaking" ideas within your world that both adhere to internal consistency (i.e. at no point has there ever been mention of force users being able to ignore the vacuum of space, ships able to lightspeed into other ships (or within atmosphere BTW), or lots of other things) and help maintain suspension of disbelief by making events organically flow in a logical sequence, be foreshadowed appropriately, and have a payoff that justifies the reality breaking moment. None of these things occur in TLJ.

Sojiro

Lolol this fucking image is easily the best thing in this thread. WTF is this from and what is going on?

Who would have guessed, more star wars incoming. Disney has long since diluted both star wars and marvel to the point I don't see how anyone gets excited when the next thing gets announced from either series.

Billbofet

Lolol this fucking image is easily the best thing in this thread. WTF is this from and what is going on?

Who would have guessed, more star wars incoming. Disney has long since diluted both star wars and marvel to the point I don't see how anyone gets excited when the next thing gets announced from either series.
Can't take credit for the pic. I saw this the other day in the funny pic thread from TheUsual TheUsual and thought it applied here.

Soodanim

Gold Member
You can almost see the emergency pitch meeting taking place. The panic because everything is on a downward trend, and them jumping feet first into the most popular thing to happen to Star Wars in a long time. I suppose as far as bets go it's the safest they have - at least this will get more than a shrug and a "Who?" gif from people.

Trilobit

Kennedy: "Best I can give you is constant cameos by SW animation characters, overpowered women, frail men and everyone saying how cute Grogu is."

Laptop1991

If the 3rd season didn't do that well on TV at home, how is this going to be a success in the cinema where people will have to travel and pay to watch it, or is it just another normal Disney Star Wars decision nowadays which i still don't get!.

Top Bottom