• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE END OF EVANGELION - In North American Theaters March 17 and 20, 2024

saintjules

GKIDS will bring the 1997 animated feature “End of Evangelion” to select theaters for event screenings on March 17 and 20, marking the first time the film has been shown in theaters in North America. It will screen in Japanese with English subtitles.

This final movie version was created as an alternative ending to the NEON GENESIS EVANGELION TV series, remaking the final two episodes from the series. SEELE plans an attack on NERV after failing to create a man-made Third Impact. After reaffirming both her own and her mother’s existence in a state of despair, Asuka returns and begins the counterattack. However, new enemies descend from the heavens. Meanwhile, Shinji witnesses the horrifying wreckage of Asuka’s EVA-02 while piloting EVA-01. Mass production models surround EVA-01 and perform a solemn ceremony. What does it mean to complete a human heart?

Doom85

Neon Genesis Evangelion Clap GIF

My 2nd favorite anime TV series ever (after Cowboy Bebop), and End is one of my favorite anime films of all time. Really hope there’s a screening in my area.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I remember watching this for the first time some years ago and feeling very distraught after a certain scene, to the point where I kinda tuned out the rest of the film and immediately afterwards rewatched the final episode of the anime to feel better.

Last year, I went through the entire series again and decided, with some trepidation, to rewatch EoE as well, making sure to pay close attention the whole way through. To my surprise and delight, the movie actually has (in my interpretation) a pretty hopeful and optimistic ending in spite of everything. I think it's a fantastic film regardless of what emotions it evokes in you personally, and I'm really glad to see it getting a theater screening so many years later, I'll be sure to catch the March 20th viewing.

Paltheos

Neat. Thanks for the notice. There are showings less than 10 miles from me. It's been a while since I've been to a theater and since I've seen this movie too, so I might go.

I want to think that fight sequence, arguably the best animated mecha fight scene ever insofar as how well it considers and communicates the movement of mass on that scale, will be worth the admission alone in a theater.

K' Dash

I gotta say, this movie fucked me up when I watched as a impressionable teen. I loved it from start to end, but couldnt shake the feeling of dread for days.

Bojji

EoE is a masterpiece, I don't think anything ever topped it but it's depressing as fuck.

Rebuild series is much weaker but "second" ending is not bad I think.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
EoE is a masterpiece, I don't think anything ever topped it but it's depressing as fuck.

Rebuild series is much weaker but "second" ending is not bad I think.
I love the ending of 3.0+1.0. One of the most uplifting things I've seen. Rebuild is uneven af though.

1.0 - Boring rehash of the original series with arguably worse animation
2.0 Amazing. Love it
3.0 Boring. Confusing
3.0 + 1.0. Great. So much character development. In a way it's a rejection of EoE

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Years since I saw the movie in Japanese on a pirated DVD version.

It was sad to see it but I still had a lot of questions at the end.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I love the ending of 3.0+1.0. One of the most uplifting things I've seen. Rebuild is uneven af though.

1.0 - Boring rehash of the original series with arguably worse animation
2.0 Amazing. Love it
3.0 Boring. Confusing
3.0 + 1.0. Great. So much character development. In a way it's a rejection of EoE
Amount of techno babble garbage in the last movie to justify bullshit was pretty embarrassing even for Evangelion. First half was good.

Rebuild isn't even close to EoE.

OneBigPuss

Ok I don't know what is going on but i saw too many praises for this series last year so will start with Neon Genesis Evangelion now. Hope it will live up to the hype.

Bojji

Ok I don't know what is going on but i saw too many praises for this series last year so will start with Neon Genesis Evangelion now. Hope it will live up to the hype.

It was one of the first "non kid" anime I watched and I did that when I was a teenager. After main series and EoE I was depressed for quite some time, hahaha. But I still think about from time to time, It's one of the best things in entertainment humans have ever made.

(WARNING - SPOILERS):

Last edited:

OneBigPuss

It was one of the first "non kid" anime I watched and I did that when I was a teenager. After main series and EoE I was depressed for quite some time, hahaha. But I still think about from time to time, It's one of the best things in entertainment humans have ever made.

(WARNING - SPOILERS):

Duude i said that im just starting it...I will go back to this post after (and if) i will finish it tho :)

Bojji

Duude i said that im just starting it...I will go back to this post after (and if) i will finish it tho :)

It's just music video but there are tons of scenes from EoE.

Maybe you have too high expectations for this series, it's not without flaws and there is some obvious fan service etc. I watched it without knowing anything about it, it was aired in first gaming channel in Poland in ~2002 I think and I didn't even had access to internet before 2007. Simpler times...

There are many people that watched it around the same time and didn't like it so it's obviously not for everyone.

OneBigPuss

It's just music video but there are tons of scenes from EoE.

Maybe you have too high expectations for this series, it's not without flaws and there is some obvious fan service etc. I watched it without knowing anything about it, it was aired in first gaming channel in Poland in ~2002 I think and I didn't even had access to internet before 2007. Simpler times...

There are many people that watched it around the same time and didn't like it so it's obviously not for everyone.
I watched 2 episodes. Its kind of melancholic.I like it. Looking forward to other episodes.

OneBigPuss

I have finished watching the show. Im not into anime but overall it was an engaging watch but...

What were they thinking with that last two episodes? I understand that they wanted to make a mindfuck ending but for me it was just exposition dump with no real substance and it fell flat on its face

Evangelion Death True2 it is...oh.... The End of Evangelion it is...

Last edited:

Doom85

I have finished watching the show. Im not into anime but overall it was an engaging watch but...

What were they thinking with that last two episodes? I understand that they wanted to make a mindfuck ending but for me it was just exposition dump with no real substance and it fell flat on its face

Don’t see it as an exposition dump at all, but rather a psychological analysis of the cast particularly Shinji.

I think it’s an incredible “finale” (obviously End of Evangelion is the true ending, or rather shows how the end of episode of 24 leads to 25 and Instrumentality begins, and then what occurs after episode 26), especially given the studio was more or less out of money and time.

OneBigPuss

Don’t see it as an exposition dump at all, but rather a psychological analysis of the cast particularly Shinji.

I think it’s an incredible “finale” (obviously End of Evangelion is the true ending, or rather shows how the end of episode of 24 leads to 25 and Instrumentality begins, and then what occurs after episode 26), especially given the studio was more or less out of money and time.

I understand your point of view but i don't feel it that way but thats ok. Everyone has their own opinion and interpretation :)
Finished The End of Evangelion and it was depressing but it was an impressive conclusion.... I have few gripes about both the show and movie (maybe i will make one bigger post later to point them out as a non-anime watcher if someone will be interested in that) but i dont regret finally seeing it. I need to think about it a little more and after that i think i will continue with another four movies (i know what they are thats why im taking a little break before continuing).

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Bojji

I understand your point of view but i don't feel it that way but thats ok. Everyone has their own opinion and interpretation :)
Finished The End of Evangelion and it was depressing but it was an impressive conclusion.... I have few gripes about both the show and movie (maybe i will make one bigger post later to point them out as a non-anime watcher if someone will be interested in that) but i dont regret finally seeing it. I need to think about it a little more and after that i think i will continue with another four movies (i know what they are thats why im taking a little break before continuing).

When I watched last two episodes I was like:

wtf-is-this-john.gif

Then watched EoE and it was a proper conclusion, masterpiece anime movie.

Now go watch Rebuild series :messenger_winking:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I always understood that they ran out of money to finish the show correctly which is why they made those weird last 2 episodes and then only later they did the ending they wanted

Last edited:

poodaddy

Neon Genesis Evangelion Clap GIF

My 2nd favorite anime TV series ever (after Cowboy Bebop), and End is one of my favorite anime films of all time. Really hope there’s a screening in my area.
I'm pretty quick to say I hate most anime these days, as I just consider most of it trash now, but Bebop and Evangelion are masterclass shows, and they've aged like fine wine. Very easily got my wife into Cowboy Bebop and this show, and she immediately understood what made them special to me as a youth. I want my daughter to watch these shows one day, though....maybe not quite yet. There are some scenes in there that I don't wish to explain yet :/.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Did anyone go tonight?

It was sold out at my showing. Overall it's as great as ever but the audio was too loud. Asuka screaming was brutal.

Took the wife. She has never seen the show. I didn't want to go alone though. Overall I think she endured it. At the least she respected the audacity of it and thought it had interesting imagery. But she was lost

Top Bottom