• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Should have been the IMAX poster.

tN7Uk1l.jpg

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If it's just a trivial easter egg, then I can live with that.

Anything that's gonna alter the ending in any is gonna rustle my jimmies big time.

Speaking of which, there was a quote I saw going around twitter from Mangold as to why Logan in a costume was really never going to be a thing.

James Mangold: I always feel a certain contingent of fans who are yearning for it. But the biggest block I’ve had – I’m willing to take the heat for it – is that, I can never get past, being a writer for these movies as well, that Logan is the least narcissistic of all the superheroes, any kind I can think of – Marvel, DC or anywhere else. What I mean by that is, who puts a special branded outfit on when they do good deeds? And why? The only reason you do it is so you can have some sort of trademarked claim and get credit for what you did. Nothing seems less Wolverine-like than the desire to put on a trademarked outfit , particularly canary yellow, and kind of prance about doing good deeds and have people go, “Oh my God! It’s The Wolverine!” At least the Wolverine, as I see him, that’s a real struggle for me and always has been. I somehow feel that if somehow we ever put Hugh [Jackman] into one of those outfits, people would not be happy. Essentially, it’s something that lives on the page and I’m not sure could live anywhere else.

So there you go.

Hastati

Is this the first movie with X23? I became a fan of her through MVC3 and am pretty pumped for this movie, trying to catch up a bit on the lore.

Speaking of which, there was a quote I saw going around twitter from Mangold as to why Logan in a costume was really never going to be a thing.

So there you go.
I get why he doesn't do it in his films. It makes sense.

I still want to see it in a proper X-Men movie, though. They can find a way to make it work. Embrace the comic bookiness.

Bobby, should we do a spoiler thread or...?

I think you gotta wait like a week before release or something? I don't remember the rules. I like the evolution that's been happening where the OT is the spoiler thread, and people who wanna talk about the movie that haven't seen it just use the Review Thread. Makes way more sense that way.

LotusHD

Banned

So there you go.

He could put it on to amuse X-23 or something I dunno when she's down in the dumps, there's always a way tbh

But I do agree that him just wearing it in terms of it being his superhero outfit or w/e would be kinda weird.

What is it with so many wanting the comic book costume? It would look absolutely awful. It's impossible to make such a goofy mask work. There's not even a decent cosplay of that costume.

They probably could have gotten away with getting him into a costume similar to what he wears in the comics if they had done it during the first two X-Men films. Even then, I doubt it would be something he would wear beyond his X-Men specific missions.

I have a strange feeling if Wolverine is in Deadpool 2, that outfit will find a way in there. I actually could imagine them going into the final battle and deadpool pulls him to the side to say "I had my friend make a special outfit for you" and forcing him into it only for wolverine to rip to shreds and say "Its never gonna happen".

MMarston

I think you gotta wait like a week before release or something? I don't remember the rules. I like the evolution that's been happening where the OT is the spoiler thread, and people who wanna talk about the movie that haven't seen it just use the Review Thread. Makes way more sense that way.

Yeah, I like the sound of that, but that'll be entirely up to whoever is doing the OT.

EDIT: Huh, just checked, and apparently no one is doing an OT.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

So there you go.

Thats a fantastic answer. If anything, him in his trademark suit does come off as something that he had to do as an Xmen. Plus, given the context of this film, makes even less sense to don latex.

Shaanyboi

Banned

So there you go.
This has been pretty much the reasoning to me for years. Logan is the least likely person to put on some ridiculous costume based on his personality. His line in the first movie "You actually go outside in these things?" is the most honest, true-to-character thing they could've done.

I have a strange feeling if Wolverine is in Deadpool 2, that outfit will find a way in there. I actually could imagine them going into the final battle and deadpool pulls him to the side to say "I had my friend make a special outfit for you" and forcing him into it only for wolverine to rip to shreds and say "Its never gonna happen".

"Give the fans what they want already."

I could see it if Jackman's willing to do a Deadpool bit for shits and giggles.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
"Give the fans what they want already."

I could see it if Jackman's willing to do a Deadpool bit for shits and giggles.

Maybe a gag bit where they try to find an outfit for him and they do a quick cut to him in the full blown yellow suit to show how ridiculous it'd look

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I can't believe John Wick 2 and Logan both delivered on quality.

Hopefully GOTG 2, Kingsmen 2 and Wonder Woman follow suit!

So there you go.

Wolverine was never really a government assassin, paid or brainwashed, in any of the Fox films (even in Origins he was a bystander on the one mission Team X did), there was no reason for him to wear a costume or tactical gear as a young man. And the X1-3 costumes were just sorta functional.

Yeah I never saw Wolverine as a costumed super hero in his solo comics, so I understand where Mangold's coming from. Singer's the one who dropped the ball when it comes to costumes. In this case, two wrongs don't make a right.

MisterHero

So there you go.
At least in Whedon's X-Men IIRC the team use the costumes to present a superhero image to the public eye. Though the movie X-Men were never really public.

I guess even an X-Force, stealth-themed, all black costume would be too much at this point. haha :(

MMarston

Okay, gonna start prepping the OT.

The Last of X is currently the front-running thread title, but if anyone somehow has a better idea, feel free to throw it out there.

Also, it's gonna be a Spoiler hybrid.

Hopefully watching this on Tuesday, I'm so damned hyped

nice. let us know what you thought about it.

feels like the big emotional payoff/culmination of everything we've seen since 2000. end of an era. :whew:

think i might do a rewatch of 1/2/dofp over the weekend before i see this.

nice. let us know what you thought about it.

feels like the big emotional payoff/culmination of everything we've seen since 2000. end of an era. :whew:

think i might do a rewatch of 1/2/dofp over the weekend before i see this.

Will do and looking to do the same, watch X1, 2, DoFP and possibly the Wolverine as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom