• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: Switch 2 to use Orin T239 Nvidia Soc , PS4 and PS4 pro performance Without DLSS

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Motion clarity is still not being measured, and is being done by opinion
To be fair - I don't think market at large actually cares (aside for - the dozen of us that do :/ ).
Motion clarity has been almost completely ignored for - well entire era of 3D consoles until recent 3-4 years. And that's despite the fact that the moment flat panels became prominent gaming displays, it got ruined beyond recognition (70% drop in ideal case - but for a good decade situation was much worse thanks to LCDs inherent response flaws). And only in recent years we've been getting TVs that can improve the situation - a bit.
And if we look at the most recent decade - when TAA arrived - games made further sacrifices in motion clarity for temporal stability (which played well with Flat-panels inherent lack of motion clarity) - and that hasn't exactly been improving as more and more graphics pipeline computation has been temporally distributed with each passing year - including of course, reconstruction. Which is also where the whole comparison to 'native' is a bit off since TAA by definition - isn't.
But while AI temporal reconstruction does improve things - now that we have 3 proprietary approaches already (and possibly more coming) I doubt we'll ever get objective measurement on any of it - the entire purpose is to offer customers a black-box that makes things more better (and trust us on it! pinky swear), and markets have embraced it, so no reason to change.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
For real it's like people see spec sheets for these chips and don't factor in anything else.
uh, all of the tech surrounding the switch 2 puts it in the same price point as the switch 1,
the galaxy s8 launched for 750 with a .55 tf gpu, the s23 launched at 800 with a 3.5 tf gpu (s24 will be the comparable phone)
tegra x2 kits were 600, the closest orin kit 500,
the steam deck will be 2 years old and was 400 with massively worse economies of scale
but I bet you're one of the switch is weaker than the ps360 people

Robb

Gold Member
I just hope Nintendo doesn't go all AR crazy with the camera and forget to make regular games.
Same, not liking the camera rumors tbh. Hopefully it’s something unexpected if true, like having a camera in each individual JoyCon or something, rather than just slapping a crappy camera onto a Switch..

NahaNago

It would be cool if this was the case. I was originally expecting the switch 2 to be in between the ps4 and ps4 pro range but was originally shot down for that prediction if I remember correctly. I'm hoping that it is closer to ps4 pro so that it is able to more easily get next gen ports thanks to the xbox series s. What will a Zelda game look like is what I want to know or even a pokemon game? hmm

Then again I'm going to not get my hopes up at the same time since this is Nintendo we are talking about.

Last edited:

Beechos

uh, all of the tech surrounding the switch 2 puts it in the same price point as the switch 1,
the galaxy s8 launched for 750 with a .55 tf gpu, the s23 launched at 800 with a 3.5 tf gpu (s24 will be the comparable phone)
the steam deck will be 2 years old and was 400 with massively worse economies of scale
Nope just realistic expectstions of what to expect based on everything. Tech, nintendo, possible form factor, battery life, price, people wanting Oled or bust. If im one of the switch is weaker than ps360 people you're prob one of the ps5/series people who expected rdna3 and like 24tf at 399.

demigod

How much of a tflop did it increase from the Wii to Wii U? Steam Deck is nowhere near a PS5. By your logic, the prices of Asus and Lenovo handhelds should be lower than $400, they aren’t. 0 chance this thing is as powerful as a ps5 let alone it being less than $499.

MrA

Banned
How much of a tflop did it increase from the Wii to Wii U? Steam Deck is nowhere near a PS5. By your logic, the prices of Asus and Lenovo handhelds should be lower than $400, they aren’t. 0 chance this thing is as powerful as a ps5 let alone it being less than $499.
that's not my logic, no one was implying the switch 2 will be on par with the ps5, everyone is saying it will be around xbone/ps4 to around ps4pro

Woopah

How can people expect this fairy tale performance with decent battery life and a good screen at $299? Nintendo has been known to be Apple like to charge premium prices for their so so stuff. Hell how many years are we in with the switch and it's still retailing for 299.

Do people expect nintendo to start selling systems at like 699? Beefy systems like the Aly and legion are compromised as is with their high prices.
I don't think anybody should expect 299. It's 399 minimum.

Ozriel

M$FT
Do people expect nintendo to start selling systems at like 699? Beefy systems like the Aly and legion are compromised as is with their high prices.

Why not compare with the pricing of the Steamdeck, and not the Legion Go or Ally where the hardware makers can only turn a profit on hardware margins?

Steamdeck 64gb is $399 and that’s with stuff like trackpads and more expensive cooling that you wouldn’t see in a Switch 2. And also without all the benefits of mass pricing of components due to expected sales volume.

Beechos

Why not compare with the pricing of the Steamdeck, and not the Legion Go or Ally where the hardware makers can only turn a profit on hardware margins?
Because performance being thrown around is comparable to those systems.
What recent nintendo history makes you think nintendo will sell it at a loss and not try to make every penny they can? The Switch is over 5 years old and still selling at the original 299 msrp. Launch games until recently were still 59.99.

Steamdeck 64gb is $399 and that’s with stuff like trackpads and more expensive cooling that you wouldn’t see in a Switch 2. And also without all the benefits of mass pricing of components due to expected sales volume.
People in these threads also expect 16gb ram, 4k 120hz, oled, 1tb ssd, all day battery. Nintendo is also going to have to figure a way to make all this fit while making it not look like a monstrosity like the deck. What kinda online infrastructure people expect nintendo to have playing the latest and greatest games "online" on such a cutting edge system which no one has seemed to discuss. Only wetdream specs and pricing similar to the ps5/series launch speculation.
The biggest reason why this will never happen is nintendo itself. They don't need these specs to be successful. They have the balls to sell cardboard for $60 and people expect them to take a loss on hardware?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I just hope Nintendo doesn't go all AR crazy with the camera and forget to make regular games.
They never really did that, even with the 3DS having this as a selling point at the start. Was most a fart in the wind, and the biggest thing that really used was Chibbi Robo

Still, not having a camera would be the best choice. It's just more money on a thing that no one really cares. Could be easily comparable with the Vita, that people only wanted better graphics and a second analog, but has a lot of stuff on it that no one likes

Woopah

What recent nintendo history makes you think nintendo will sell it at a loss and not try to make every penny they can? The Switch is over 5 years old and still selling at the original 299 msrp. Launch games until recently were still 59.99.

People in these threads also expect 16gb ram, 4k 120hz, oled, 1tb ssd, all day battery. Nintendo is also going to have to figure a way to make all this fit while making it not look like a monstrosity like the deck. What kinda online infrastructure people expect nintendo to have playing the latest and greatest games "online" on such a cutting edge system which no one has seemed to discuss. Only wetdream specs and pricing similar to the ps5/series launch speculation.
The biggest reason why this will never happen is nintendo itself. They don't need these specs to be successful. They have the balls to sell cardboard for $60 and people expect them to take a loss on hardware?
Which people have you seen say the bolded? Or are you arguing against a strawman?

Raploz

Some people are misinterpreting the rumor. The supposed leaker didn't say it's as powerful as a PS5, he only said FF VII Remake (a PS4 game at its core) "looks and runs LIKE a PS5 game". If Switch 2 is about as powerful as a PS4 and has a better CPU, it could very well be running at 720p/60 and upscaling with DLSS to create a 1440p-like image.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Some people are misinterpreting the rumor. The supposed leaker didn't say it's as powerful as a PS5, he only said FF VII Remake (a PS4 game at its core) "looks and runs LIKE a PS5 game". If Switch 2 is about as powerful as a PS4 and has a better CPU, it could very well be running at 720p/60 and upscaling with DLSS to create a 1440p-like image.

This, we need to interpret the language used, if Switch 2 is running a PS4 game with more bells and whistles that make it appear PS5-like to a passive observer, that doesn't make it a shrunken down PS5. But it does make it a very compelling device that can run a huge variety of games without nearly the same compromise as Switch 1, and much easier to put those games on, which could make it twice as dangerous.

MrA

Banned

No one said any of those things except 16gb of ram which is reasonable (unless you're hanging on a comment overestimating DLSS. Which is disingenuous) the thread title is literally ps4/ps4pro. Everyone is saying around ps4 performance and many people are claiming that as impossible w
You're outright making stuff up

Pokemon will still look like a cardboard box
I don't know I've seen some pretty detailed cardboard boxes, but to be fair non gamefreak pokemon games can look good
Snap. Vs. Does it matter?
new-pokemon-snap-vs-swsh-jun182020-1038x576.jpg

Last edited:

BlackTron

Tbh this entire Ps5/XBS gen feels like a huge get for Nintendo thus far. It’s been cross-gen galore. Most of what we’re playing today will probably be able to run on Switch 2 with tweaks/downgrades.

I imagine this is something that will get worse not better, but imagine if Switch 2 had entire 50GB-grade games on a cart that did not require an install to play. And you could just hot swap them out. Highly unlikely, but holy shit.

Edit: I just learned Switch already has 64GB cards, I thought they only went up to 32. Most publishers don't want to give you more than the smallest card + download anyway so it doesn't matter, whatever.

Last edited:

Hudo

I brought up Sony because YOU brought up sales and Nintendo’s”balls”, in regards to outdated toy hardware. My Sony reply was Sony actually COMPETES with hardware and STILL has bigger balls than Nintendo.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Both the XSX and the PS5 are overpriced 2018 mid-spec laptops with overhyped SSDs. Competing they do, yes, because the technical level of consoles of this gen (and last) is not that high to begin with.

Some people treat these consoles like they're cutting edge shit, which they are just not. And deliberately so. Both Sony and Microsoft played it very safe from a technological stand point. A logical evolution of last gen with components that were proven and (at least back then thought to be) readily available.

Last edited:

amigastar

When Switch 2 gets an performance upgrade comparable to PS5 with DLSS i can't imagine how awesome a new Mario or Zelda will look like.
Also Emulation won't be such a problem for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Both the XSX and the PS5 are overpriced 2018 mid-spec laptops with overhyped SSDs. Competing they do, yes, because the technical level of consoles of this gen (and last) is not that high to begin with.

Some people treat these consoles like they're cutting edge shit, which they are just not. And deliberately so. Both Sony and Microsoft played it very safe from a technological stand point. A logical evolution of last gen with components that were proven and (at least back then thought to be) readily available.
That's not true. The RDNA2 in these consoles didn't even exist in GPUs until after the consoles launched. The architecture was developed with Sony/MS in collaboration. I remember Valhalla on PS5 performing like a 2080S, a high-end GPU released in 2019. If you compare this to the 8th gen consoles, the differences are night and day. The PS4 was outperformed by midrange PCs when it launched. The same can't be said of PS5. Even today, it holds up quite well against midrange PCs. Both Series X and PS5 are semi-customized whereas last gen consoles were just leftover tablet APUs with a beefed up GPU.

damidu

wow the chip is supposedly at 4tf range?
that would be phenomenal (like 10 switches ducktaped together) ,
knowing nintendo not getting any hopes up for now.

Last edited:

Xyphie

The RDNA2 in these consoles didn't even exist in GPUs until after the consoles launched. The architecture was developed with Sony/MS in collaboration.

Console GPU/CPU IP lagged what was available from AMD on the desktop at the time. RDNA2 launched in October 2020 and console's launched a month later with PS5 having basically RDNA1 with RT while both Xboxes uses a in-between "RDNA1.5" GPU amalgamation. On the CPU side Zen3 was widely available but consoles shipped with Zen2.

Filben

The supposed leaker didn't say it's as powerful as a PS5, he only said FF VII Remake (a PS4 game at its core) "looks and runs LIKE a PS5 game".
What does that mean though? What is that typical PS5 game that he'd say "like a PS5 game?" 60fps? 1440p upscaled to 4k? both? Native 4k? The game's broader visuals (animations, textures, FX) which is clearly subjective and some wouldn't see as PS5 level visuals/possibilities?

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Console GPU/CPU IP lagged what was available from AMD on the desktop at the time. RDNA2 launched in October 2020 and console's launched a month later with PS5 having basically RDNA1 with RT while both Xboxes uses a in-between "RDNA1.5" GPU amalgamation. On the CPU side Zen3 was widely available but consoles shipped with Zen2.
Semantics aside, I think it's a real stretch calling the 9th gen consoles "overpriced 2018 mid-spec laptops". PCs that performed like Series X/PS5 in 2020 in games were high-end and cost decisively more.

Hudo

Semantics aside, I think it's a real stretch calling the 9th gen consoles "overpriced 2018 mid-spec laptops". PCs that performed like Series X/PS5 in 2020 in games were high-end and cost decisively more.
Then overpriced 2019 mid-spec laptops with overhyped SSDs. My point was none of the technology utilized was cutting edge. And that was a deliberate design choice by both manufacturers.

If the gpu is indeed Ampere based in the next switch then that would suggest frame generation will not be a feature. This would be a real shame if true as frame generation if present could legitimately see the next Switch punch waaaay above its weight.

shamoomoo

No. Both consoles cost the same as one mid-range GPU.

BlackTron

If the switcheroo is still a handheld then it's understandable about its limitation in comparison to a low power home console.

What I'm getting at, is that Series S has defined the standard of a "next gen" game up to now as something Switch 2 is likely able to do.

If we only had PS5 and XSX. Games might have been built to a higher spec and a bit more out of reach of a modest handheld from Nintendo without much more down-porting work and effort. So it is a huge favor. So, thanks for setting your competition up for success while I play Gamepass for nothing, MS!

shamoomoo

What I'm getting at, is that Series S has defined the standard of a "next gen" game up to now as something Switch 2 is likely able to do.

If we only had PS5 and XSX. Games might have been built to a higher spec and a bit more out of reach of a modest handheld from Nintendo without much more down-porting work and effort. So it is a huge favor. So, thanks for setting your competition up for success while I play Gamepass for nothing, MS!
Since it's mostly likely going to be a handheld, switch 2 being able to play current gen games with appropriate compromises would be more impressive and understandable than a lower powered home console. If MS was concerned about cost,the could've went with a design in between the X and S.

Mobile gaming looking comparable to fix hardware is always going to more impressive because of the limited power for those systems. That's assuming the switch 2 gets these high end games and the devs care to make a viable mobile port instead seeing the switch as a "secondary citizen."

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m here to say the it’s 110% true that it could possibly be 6 times more powerfully than a possible ps4 pro-ish equivalent level of screen image quality.

Last edited:

lachesis

I am more interested in loading time with Switch2. A lot of this gen games boast lightning fast loading - hope this new cartridge will support something nifty to reduce loading, or internal memory is something similar to m.2 ssd drives. I wouldn’t mind 1/2 loading time on TOTK, even though it’s not unbearable.

Robb

Gold Member
I am more interested in loading time with Switch2. A lot of this gen games boast lightning fast loading - hope this new cartridge will support something nifty to reduce loading, or internal memory is something similar to m.2 ssd drives. I wouldn’t mind 1/2 loading time on TOTK, even though it’s not unbearable.
Agreed. I really hope it’s snappy.. It’ll be a very noticeable drawback on 3rd party titles if they can’t match the current consoles.

But in a small handheld, portable form factor. With *good battery life.

And if you’re just looking at Nintendo Switch as the comparison point, which you should, PS4/ PS4 Pro levels of fidelity in a console the size of the Switch, is really tantalizing. At least it will be for a great many people. 🤷‍♂️
Correct me if I’m wrong. Isn’t the steamdeck also near ps4/ps4pro level of power? If so. Count me in. I can’t stop using that damn thing. Knowing Nintendo it will be the bells and whistles in tech they’ll use to improve their games.

Correct me if I’m wrong. Isn’t the steamdeck also near ps4/ps4pro level of power? If so. Count me in. I can’t stop using that damn thing. Knowing Nintendo it will be the bells and whistles in tech they’ll use to improve their games.

It is while running games at 720p. Switch uses two different power levels to run games either portably via battery with reduced specs, or docked with higher specs. So assuming docked the next-gen Switch would be closer to PS4/ PS4 Pro as far as resolution capability with that kind of fidelity. Vs Steam Deck which runs everything the same plugged in or not.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It would be cool if this was the case. I was originally expecting the switch 2 to be in between the ps4 and ps4 pro range but was originally shot down for that prediction if I remember correctly. I'm hoping that it is closer to ps4 pro so that it is able to more easily get next gen ports thanks to the xbox series s. What will a Zelda game look like is what I want to know or even a pokemon game? hmm

Then again I'm going to not get my hopes up at the same time since this is Nintendo we are talking about.

2.5 to 3 TFs seem reasonable to me.

zeldaring

Banned
Not falling for this again, still traumatised from the Project Cafe-Wii U days.
I still remember the conversation about switch being between xbox and ps4 lol. switch 7 years later and it looks like it belonged in the 360/ps3 gen more then ps4 gen. Still maybe nintendo will surprise us which is very doubtful imo.

Astral Dog

Yeah but there is still going to be a massive gap between an XSS and Switch 2 ,its about developers who are willing to support the handheld(and actual sales)

porting a game from XSS to Switch 2 won't be that simple, its good news for Nintendo but they still don't expect every third party game to make the jump

Best case scenario is that companies design their games for Switch 2 specs ,then improve them for the other systems

BlackTron

Yeah but there is still going to be a massive gap between an XSS and Switch 2 ,its about developers who are willing to support the handheld(and actual sales)

porting a game from XSS to Switch 2 won't be that simple, its good news for Nintendo but they still don't expect every third party game to make the jump

Best case scenario is that companies design their games for Switch 2 specs ,then improve them for the other systems

I'm not saying it will be copy/paste, but the gap will be smaller and much more feasible than if we only had X and PS5

Top Bottom