• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Nintendo Switch 2 DLSS Might Not Be as Powerful as It Sounds

I wish they would price it at $500 so we can get better hardware.

It’s not a Steam Deck. Nintendo won't release $500 hardware until the mass market acceptable price point is at that level. Switch 2 I think even at an expected $399 price point will already get some blow back from the non-hardcore adopters. This hardware's getting to be more expensive than televisions.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Man, this sounds too much Nintendo, like I can absolutely see them buying a chip that already exists removing functionality and selling it as an up charge while removing features.

Not saying it’s going to be crap however, Nintendo is going to try to get the parts as cheap as I can so I’m assuming at 1080P possibly 1440 P machine docked I don’t see them getting into the 4K business gen

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't think most people expected the hardware to be powerful, but they hoped the DLSS solution would be powerful relative to what AMD has going on, allowing it to punch above its weight resolution-wise.
the thing is that DLSS is very powerful sure but FSR isn't as far behind as people make it out to be especially with their new frame generation. And neither of them are magic that automatically turns a 480p image into 4k.

Moses85

It's based off of recent patent images.
Sexy Hot Girl GIF by Cappa Video Productions

control has a version of dlss than runs on shader cores.

dlss requiring tensor cores may be a marketing point.

anyway, if switch2 can hit 1080p native/internal consistently, dlss should be able to slap it up to 4k easy.
it's just upscaling, and nintendo will still be making 1080p games.

control has a version of dlss than runs on shader cores.

dlss requiring tensor cores may be a marketing point.

anyway, if switch2 can hit 1080p native/internal consistently, dlss should be able to slap it up to 4k easy.
it's just upscaling, and nintendo will still be making 1080p games.
100%. Yeah, I'm not buying that even docked a next-gen Switch can do anything above native 1440p for games. Excited to see where they are taking things for the next platform generation, though. Switch has been amazing, but I think we can all pretty much agree it's old as hell and time for a new system.

Last edited:

Woopah

Considering we know literally nothing factual about their next system, and the title having "might not be as powerful as it sounds"....this entire thread is speculation and needs a drama tag added to it.
Omg we’re literally reporting on a rumor of a rumor. Like for fuck’s sake, we’re 3rd generation no reporting.
Its a very clickbait title from IGN. Should be "Digital Foundry debunks their own Switch 2 speculation" or "Nvidia's Switch 2 SoC removes the part designed for cars".

But that wouldn't get as much attention.

Last edited:
Anyone who thought those earlier switch 2 rumors were true were delusional.
But every time those rumors come up Nintendo Fanboys get excited. The thirst for powerful hardware must be real strong. No wonder Nintendo is ripping off its customers with weak low budget Hardware since the Wii.

Woopah

But every time those rumors come up Nintendo Fanboys get excited. The thirst for powerful hardware must be real strong. No wonder Nintendo is ripping off its customers with weak low budget Hardware since the Wii.
I think most people are expecting (and this is supported by the leaks and rumours) that Switch 2 will be a significant jump over Switch in the same way Switch was a significant jump over the 3DS.

I haven't seen many people/rumours saying it will be PS5 level, at least not on GAF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom