• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Leak May Have Revealed Switch 2 Console

lachesis

Not expecting much - just make them powerful enough for 720p/60fps portable, and 1080p/60fps docked... and maybe, just maybe with DLSS 2.

Making older games to run smoother @ locked frame rate or double the frame rate to 60fps.. would be nice.

ultrazilla

Nintendo most likely(duh!) wants a system that third party developers will port their PS5 games from. I can see games that utilize the
speed of the SSD in the PS5 would probably give devs a hard time porting over to the Switch 2.

DevGAF: PS5 ports to these rumored specs? Decent ports you think?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No DLSS 3 when its the perfect thing for consoles/handhelds would be very very sad.
I don't think DLSS 3 is going to be as desirable on a system that is running at 60Hz. While I am sure it could be used to bring lower frame games up to 60, the added latency would be considerable, where it could be more effectively masked in you're trying to bring a 70fps game up to 90 or something.

Buggy Loop

I don't think DLSS 3 is going to be as desirable on a system that is running at 60Hz. While I am sure it could be used to bring lower frame games up to 60, the added latency would be considerable, where it could be more effectively masked in you're trying to bring a 70fps game up to 90 or something.

That extra silicon required to pull off DLSS3 and the extra processing to add that AI interlaced image with additional latency is not worth it on a 60Hz mobile like you said. DLSS 2 and the upcoming improvements to the temporal solution that DLSS 3 will do (and still be compatible with DLSS 2 capable cards) is plenty enough.

CamHostage

Nintendo most likely(duh!) wants a system that third party developers will port their PS5 games from. I can see games that utilize the
speed of the SSD in the PS5 would probably give devs a hard time porting over to the Switch 2.

Yeah, that's what I'd be looking forward to more than insane specs (which, it's Nintendo...) or ridiculous graphics (again, Nintendo...) I want a portable that's instant-on and that loads games as fast as I can think about wanting to play them.

That comfort of loading speed has been the nicest aspect of next-gen so far. Ever since PSP and DS, I have gotten into the habit of reaching first for my portable instead of my console when I'm in a casual gaming mood (it's different when I'm knee-deep in a big AAA game, but even those games, sometimes while they're loading back up, I used to get distracted and find myself playing Mario Kart DS or Lumines instead of the console game I was about to get into,) and that's lasted until this new gen of consoles has evened out the playing field. (PS4 and Xbox One have standby mode, but there's still a delay of my TV and the console booting.) Nintendo could make great strides back into its portable being addictive by adopting some of the rapid IO advances we've seen on consoles and elsewhere. There are portable ways of fast loading and indexing (PCIe bus has a mobile spec, as does the NVMe protocol, and then there's Express data storage solutions which are supposed to read in at 1,000MBps, if not an actual onboard SSD) which could conceivably help Nintendo bring next-gen IO to Switch... Could Nintendo use those kind of recent technologies and actually ship a product that's still affordable for families? We'll have to see what they put together.

The Switch 2 does need some significant mobile horsepower, though, even if graphics aren't a premium concern or if we're assuming DLSS solutions will help fill in the resolution compromise and maybe even framerate. Problem is, Nintendo might start hitting a wall as far as ports of UE5 and other next-gen engine projects which really leverage new technology. UE5 is technically supported even on Switch 1, and we have surprisingly seen a lot of impossible ports come to Switch, but that may change once stuff like Nanite and Lumen take over. Switch 2 developers could still use fallback old approaches in their ports, but the more next-gen hardware really uses next-gen approaches at a fundamental level, the more we might see even a more powerful new Switch be left out of the conversation. And Switch is already missing some of the big brands (places like Activision, EA, even Ubisoft are practically absent on the most popular game console this gen, which is weird,) so it wouldn't be good if that distance grew further.

Beechos

Guys once again with this dream of a super power nintendo handheld. Look how big the steam deck is and how trash the battery life on that thing is. There is no way what some of you are thinking will happen. There will be too much compromise in size, battery life and cost. The nintendo mindset is making something that kids and adults want to pickup and touch, not run away from. I like my steamdeck and all but that shit is almost the size of my series s and the battery life sucks ass. That is the system thats made for us forum dwellers not for the demographic nintendo targets.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not expecting much - just make them powerful enough for 720p/60fps portable, and 1080p/60fps docked... and maybe, just maybe with DLSS 2.

Making older games to run smoother @ locked frame rate or double the frame rate to 60fps.. would be nice.
I play smash at 1080@60fps... Some here act like the switch catalog is just 540p at unstable 25 fps when lucky lol

MScarpa

I'll end up buying the switch 2 just for Zelda but man I wish there were some great 3rd party game's on there. It's just a Zelda/Mario machine for me. 😔

lachesis

I play smash at 1080@60fps... Some here act like the switch catalog is just 540p at unstable 25 fps when lucky lol

Well, say what you will, but my eyes were literally hurting in later stages of Ages of Calamity due to dismal frame rates.
I also play Smash at 1080p @ 60fps.. on my Wii U as well.

I bought Age of Calamity on day1 but was putting off playing that game to be honest - in hopes of they'd be announce "Switch Pro".
But as soon as they announced OLED model - I realized Pro model isn't coming anytime soon... so decided to play. At least wanted to get it out of the way before BOTW2/TOK.
While I loved the game in most part, but the frame rates were pretty horrible - and I would have loved to play it on smooth 60fps in all that mayhem.

Or something like Persona 5 Strikers. While it kept pretty admirable 25-30fps, but when you have option between solid 60 at native 4K on PS5... I really had no choice but to play it on PS5.
Same goes to the Falcom's Ys 8 or 9. (For this, I don't blame the H/W but the Falcom themselves though)

And mostly for that reason when I choose a game, I end up choosing it for either PS5 or XSX or Steam... and I go with Switch only for the very "exclusive" titles or Indy titles, foregoing the portability.

I'm not asking much - Solid 720p at 60fps portable, 1080p at 60fps docked for all games.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

BLk0UlS.jpg

About 4Tflops here eh? Let's say even if Nintendo underclocks it like the TX1, even as severely as 3Tflops, this still lands ahead of the Steam Deck GPU wise

I've learned to expect the least from Nintendo chip wise in recent decades, but this would be nice, especially with DLSS.

Daytonabot

Banned
Yeah. Switch 2 didn't even release and it's already just a Zelda/Mario machine to you. Must really suck.
It's not like we're getting F-Zero or Star Fox. The current Switch is a Sega Ages and Hamster Arcade Archives machine in terms of third parties.

tkscz

if this new chip is the Switch's chip it is a considerable amount more powerful than the Steam Deck, at least in docked mode

here's a small thought experiment I did in another thread

tldr:
this chip, which has 1536 cuda cores, would reach 2.36TF if it will run at the og Switch's clock speeds in docked mode (768mhz)
it would reach 3.9TF if it runs at the same clock the Tegra X1 is rated for (1.267ghz)

the Steam Deck can reach 1.6TF max, but it can thermal throttle and power throttle to values below that.

let's go further and add all the 3 different Switch clock speed profiles to this new chip.
the Switch in Handheld mode can run at 307.2 MHz, 384 MHz, and 460 MHz
at those speeds the new chip would reach:

0.943TF at 307.2 Mhz
1.18TF at 384 Mhz
1.41TF at 460 Mhz

(the maths goes [Cuda Cores] * [clock speed] * 2 btw)

so if we assume this new Chip is indeed the Chip used inside the Switch 2, and we assume that clock speeds will not go up even by a single mhz,
we would have a Handheld that could reach 1.41TF in portable mode, basically trading blows with the Steam Deck,
and 2.36TF in docked mode, which is faster than the PS4 even ignoring architecture advancements.

add DLSS to the mix and you already have a really nice piece of hardware here.

if they actually clock it higher than these speeds then it could actually rival the Series S with 3.9TF if it uses the Tegra X1's max rated speed of 1.267ghz

Something else to take into account is the die size. Going from 16nm to 7nm allows for higher clock speeds while draining less energy. Reason why the second rendition of the switch that used the 16nm nodes instead of the 24nm nodes run at the same clocks but use significantly less battery.

With that said they could easily do higher clocks than 460Mhz. Nintendo chose to underclock the X1 because they wanted longer battery life over more power in handheld mode.

The Orin Nano at 10w hits 625Mhz, which would be 1.9TFs.

Of course this is assuming this was a successor model and not a pro model. For all we know, they could've switched over to Ada as the 4nm node would work better for a handheld console than 7nm.

Banned
Something else to take into account is the die size. Going from 16nm to 7nm allows for higher clock speeds while draining less energy. Reason why the second rendition of the switch that used the 16nm nodes instead of the 24nm nodes run at the same clocks but use significantly less battery.

With that said they could easily do higher clocks than 460Mhz. Nintendo chose to underclock the X1 because they wanted longer battery life over more power in handheld mode.

The Orin Nano at 10w hits 625Mhz, which would be 1.9TFs.

Of course this is assuming this was a successor model and not a pro model. For all we know, they could've switched over to Ada as the 4nm node would work better for a handheld console than 7nm.

all I hope for is that they don't underclock it again in docked mode.

I get it in Handheld mode, by why the fuck they underclock in docked was always baffling to me. it can easily handle the thermals.
the OG Switch's GPU could have easily run at 1ghz

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
So many high powered handhelds on the market now. If and when a Switch 2 drops, you know it'll be so underpowered and overpriced compared. Sure, Nintendo exclusives but still, pretty hard sell.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, say what you will, but my eyes were literally hurting in later stages of Ages of Calamity due to dismal frame rates.
I also play Smash at 1080p @ 60fps.. on my Wii U as well.

I bought Age of Calamity on day1 but was putting off playing that game to be honest - in hopes of they'd be announce "Switch Pro".
But as soon as they announced OLED model - I realized Pro model isn't coming anytime soon... so decided to play. At least wanted to get it out of the way before BOTW2/TOK.
While I loved the game in most part, but the frame rates were pretty horrible - and I would have loved to play it on smooth 60fps in all that mayhem.

Or something like Persona 5 Strikers. While it kept pretty admirable 25-30fps, but when you have option between solid 60 at native 4K on PS5... I really had no choice but to play it on PS5.
Same goes to the Falcom's Ys 8 or 9. (For this, I don't blame the H/W but the Falcom themselves though)

And mostly for that reason when I choose a game, I end up choosing it for either PS5 or XSX or Steam... and I go with Switch only for the very "exclusive" titles or Indy titles, foregoing the portability.

I'm not asking much - Solid 720p at 60fps portable, 1080p at 60fps docked for all games.
Well, yeah, that's one game I'm not buying because of that reason, but not like Switch is just sub-HD or something, maybe you didn't say it yourself but the argument has gone so deep in some minds that some people literally think there are not visually good games on switch running at full HD and 60fps at the same time.

Don't get be wrong, id like a switch pro but not for resolution but for framerate, that alone is worth it for me an upgrade and even if rumors were not on point, I still believe a switch pro can be announced in January to be launched with Zelda TotK, they just didn't want people knowing so to avoid effecting Christmas sales.

Elysion

Banned
As I said before, handheld performance is what’s most important, because that will be the baseline for all games on the Switch 2. It doesn’t matter how impressive docked mode is if handheld mode only has 1TF or something like that.

Tams

As I said before, handheld performance is what’s most important, because that will be the baseline for all games on the Switch 2. It doesn’t matter how impressive docked mode is if handheld mode only has 1TF or something like that.
On the other hand it's pointless if it can't last more than two hours on a charge.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
this chip, which has 1536 cuda cores, would reach 2.36TF if it will run at the og Switch's clock speeds in docked mode (768mhz)
it would reach 3.9TF if it runs at the same clock the Tegra X1 is rated for (1.267ghz)

Where did you find 1536.

If based on Jatson Orin, they will use Nano at 15w, the 1024core model. Hard to think Nintendo will use a custom chip.

Last edited:

Banned
Where did you find 1536.

[/URL]

If based on Jatson Orin, they will use Nano at 15w, the 1024core model. Hard to think Nintendo will use a custm chip.

I used older leaks then it seems.

but wasn't the one I used actually named Orin NX or something?

edit: I used this info
T239 found in the Linux kernel, and confirmed to have 8 cores.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/YyMYu9Y38OeaM1WS@orome/

Things we know so far:
- 12SMs/1536 cuda cores.
- support for DLSS and rtx.
- 8 cores.
- Ampere

Once we get the clocks and the ram, we'll have a complete picture of the new device.

Last edited:

tkscz

I used older leaks then it seems.

but wasn't the one I used actually named Orin NX or something?

edit: I used this info
The AGX 32GB version has 1792 CUDA cores and requires much less power than the 64GB version so I could see that being the choice had this device been released. However, with 1536 being 25% fewer cores, I could see them doing that as well. It wouldn't have to be custom, they'd probably due what most chip makers do and put a full Orin AGX with the other cores either turned off or were malfunctioning.

Xdrive05

Yeah, I'd just about put money on this leak. One cluster of 8 cores and ampere for the graphics. That sounds right. 1536 cudas will probably stick, too, but then being Nintendo there's a high likelihood of very anemic clock speeds as they will sacrifice performance all day long to get more battery life and less heat.

There's also the question of RAM, which I think Nintendo would skimp on just for cost savings. Probably looking at 8GB with something like 6.5GB available for games, roughly keeping in line with last gen home consoles which I think they would be happy with. Might get lucky and see more RAM if in fact they are intending to support upscaled 4K gaming while docked, but I highly doubt they'll bother. Would cut into their margins too much for what is still a mass market handheld device.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Every fucking time, lol!
IMO Switch 2 will not support DLSS because FSR2 exists and it's completely free without need for additional silicon albeit with lower IQ but Nintendo never cared about it much. Certainly it will not justify additional silicon and cost.
My prediction that Switch 2 will be 1080p console with ability to output 4K. A PS4 with 8GB ram in portable form factor at best. Still with mature software and twice the ram, faster CPU and GPU. Same 720p OLED in portable to save battery even more. Absolutely without DLSS, 4K and high expectations. (and it's amazing!)

Last edited:

Xellos

Yeah, I'd just about put money on this leak. One cluster of 8 cores and ampere for the graphics. That sounds right. 1536 cudas will probably stick, too, but then being Nintendo there's a high likelihood of very anemic clock speeds as they will sacrifice performance all day long to get more battery life and less heat.

There's also the question of RAM, which I think Nintendo would skimp on just for cost savings. Probably looking at 8GB with something like 6.5GB available for games, roughly keeping in line with last gen home consoles which I think they would be happy with. Might get lucky and see more RAM if in fact they are intending to support upscaled 4K gaming while docked, but I highly doubt they'll bother. Would cut into their margins too much for what is still a mass market handheld device.

Completely agree on the clocks, battery, heat. 'Good enough' hardware is the Nintendo way. 12 Ampere SM + 8 A78, even at conservative clocks, should be able to match PS4, and for Nintendo I think that will be 'good enough.' Portable screen will probably be 720p, and DLSS will clean up the TV output.

I optimistic they'll include more than 8GB RAM though, as a concession to third parties and to offset the lack of fast SSD storage since they're most likely going to be limited to Micro-SD cards again.

Banned
Where did you find 1536.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

If based on Jatson Orin, they will use Nano at 15w, the 1024core model. Hard to think Nintendo will use a custom chip.

just for fun I quickly did the math on that chip as well.
here's what we could expect from it:

first the highest rated clock of that chip, which is 918mhz

1024 x 918 x 2 = 1.88TF

now the max clock speeds of the current Switch

Docked clock is 768mhz
1024 x 768 x 2 = 1.57TF

Max Portable clock is 460mhz
1024 x 460 x 2 = 0.94TF

so with this chip and og Switch clock speeds it would be basically on par with the Steam Deck in docked mode, although the Deck can thermal throttle and power throttle and doesn't reach its max clocks all the time, giving this possible Switch 2 a stability advantage that devs can utilise.

if they push it to the max we got better than PS4 performance.

this chip also has RT and Tensor cores tho, which means it would absolutely shit on the Steam Deck in many titles.

the question now is, which chip will it be? pretty sure that code name of the chip I initially used in my older post was in some way traced back to the Switch... which was why it got brought up as the Switch 2 candidate.

so we basically have 2 scenarios.

Scenario 1: the leaked T239 is the chip used in the Switch 2, in which case we could possibly get a Switch 2 that trades blows with the Deck in portable mode and crushes it and the PS4 with ease in docked mode.

Scenario 2: the chip you linked is the one used, which would mean a portable mode that is quite a bit less powerful than the Deck, but could punch above its weight still thanks to the Tensor and RT cores.
and a docked mode very similar to the Deck but again having Tensor and RT cores to punch above.

none of them are terrible but scenario 1 would of course make 3rd party ports way more viable both as a purchase for consumers and as a consideration by developers.
in scenario 1 developers could basically port over the Series S version of the game to the Switch 2 and just either half the framerate or reduce a few settings.. using a lower internal res and then DLSS to reach 1080p or 1440p would be viable to even keep the performance identical to Series S and the settings relatively close

Last edited:
Top Bottom