• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2: as fast as the PS4, with DLSS and 4K at 30 FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral Dog

All this speculation is so worthless, of course Switch 2 won't be around Xbox Series S level
30fps at 4k?what does that even mean?i imagine they could support 60fps in some cases , the games would just look ugly or simple(no AAA)

Switch 2 will be around last generation level of power, with a few new tricks and more modern hardware

scydrex

LOL maybe it will be as poweful as the Xbox One. If they can sell something comparable to the Deck for $300 or $350 and gain profit at launch maybe it will equal the deck. Remember Nintendo didn't sell at loss when the Switch came out for $300. They would want to have profits. Also don't think the Switch 2 will cost more than $300-350.

Batiman

Banned
I know this sounds like bulsshit.

Will Nintendo really go as far as not letting my physical switch games work on the new switch? I doubt it

AGRacing

Similar to PS4 power... Does 4K 30fps.

Okie doke.

DLSS is good... But if this is because of DLSS than why not say all games will be 4K then? Sure none of them will actually look even close to native 4K but they'll all be 4K.

Buggy Loop

Similar to PS4 power... Does 4K 30fps.

Okie doke.

DLSS is good... But if this is because of DLSS than why not say all games will be 4K then? Sure none of them will actually look even close to native 4K but they'll all be 4K.

They'll end up looking better than native 4k anyway.

Native 4k without any form of TAA is complete garbage

Flutta

Banned
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

AGRacing

They'll end up looking better than native 4k anyway.

Native 4k without any form of TAA is complete garbage
Uh no.

DLSS scaling to 4K from what? What resolution could a PS4 render a native next gen game at today? 900p? 720p? less?

Better than native? No chance.

If it was coming out this year, it'd have to be announced pretty soon, right? Maybe around E3?

I have doubts this guy is legit but at least he did his homework.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Specs wise I dont really care to guess if its true or not.

The key thing I saw was "second half 2023" that seems like BS to me. Seems to close and Switch is still selling well (although it's tailing off from past years). I'll take a guess and say its a fall 2024 release.

Kerotan

Way underpowered by modern standards. Definitely a "next gen" Nintendo console. I don't know how you guys do it.

blacktout

If true, likely means bc for sure a la 3DS w/ DS titles. Slightly larger cart, same slot?

Yeah, this was my immediate thought too. The slightly larger carts would be to prevent kids from cramming a Switch 2 game into the OG Switch and wondering why it won't play. Meanwhile, OG Switch carts would probably fit into the new slot without issue.

That's assuming this isn't complete bullshit, which, I mean, it's 4chan, so ...

Stuart360

???????????? How is that even a generational leap in comparison to the Switch?
XB1 is 3 times more powerful than Switch, and this is Nintendo we are talking about, would you really be THAT surprised if Switch 2 had 3 times the power of the Switch?

MikeM

Lol Series S is generally about 4-5 times the gpu power of a PS4 and yet it may get to 1440p in some games.

Sure, Switch 2 with those specs could hit 4k30- if the game is Monopoly or something. Or emulated SNES roms.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This is so not Nintendo. I'm not believing it, and I would suggest you guys do the same..

nial

Gold Member
would you really be THAT surprised if Switch 2 had 3 times the power of the Switch?
Yes? We all know it'll be underpowered for a home console, but holy shit at least I expect it to be an actual generational upgrade over what we have now. The fact that so many people would be fine with base PS4/XONE power-level in 2024-2027 is laughable.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Uh no.

DLSS scaling to 4K from what? What resolution could a PS4 render a native next gen game at today? 900p? 720p? less?

Better than native? No chance.

You need AA at 4k. This is no debate. The resolution alone is not even close to anti-aliasing solutions. Transparencies and pixel shimmering, they are almost agnostic to resolution and will appear even at 8k.

So pick your poison

TAA?

That's not solving the temporal solution without substantial motion ghosting and artifacts and you have softening.

Even DLSS balanced and arguably performance will outmatch it.

EdHkPI7XsAAwH-8

Remove TAA and it's not even comparable in motion. 4k pure native is trash.

Stuart360

Yes? We all know it'll be underpowered for a home console, but holy shit at least I expect it to be an actual generational upgrade over what we have now. The fact that so many people would be fine with base PS4/XONE power-level is laughable.
I dont think many would be happy with it, its more poeple just being realistic when it comes to Nintendo.

AGRacing

You need AA at 4k. This is no debate. The resolution alone is not even close to anti-aliasing solutions. Transparencies and pixel shimmering, they are almost agnostic to resolution and will appear even at 8k.

So pick your poison

TAA?

That's not solving the temporal solution without substantial motion ghosting and artifacts and you have softening.

Even DLSS balanced and arguably performance will outmatch it.

EdHkPI7XsAAwH-8

Remove TAA and it's not even comparable in motion. 4k pure native is trash.

What's your point ?

Mine was and is that native 4K absolutely would look better than DLSS in what amounts to extreme performance mode with so many pixels to generate from such a low res initial image. That point is correct.

VS DLSS Quality mode? Ok sure. Making a A 4K image of a next gen game out of the output of a PS4 grade machine ? Nah.

That would be the right opportunity to throw around the word "trash".

Viz108

Neo Member
The year is 2096. Earth has long since run out of natural resources. What dregs remain of society are scarcely able to sustain themselves on the remains of those who couldn't. The Switch 2 is totally coming out next year, with 4K graphics and 8th-generation processing power.

tkscz

This rumor clashes with the previous one that they were going with Ampere+ (Samsung's 5nm Ampere) but that got cann'd because Nvidia parted ties with Samsung. Not to mention it's just a screenshot. I know you can't post 4chan links here, but you can send the link to a mod who can confirm it. Otherwise it's

Buggy Loop

What's your point ?

Mine was and is that native 4K absolutely would look better than DLSS in what amounts to extreme performance mode with so many pixels to generate from such a low res initial image. That point is correct.

VS DLSS Quality mode? Ok sure. Making a A 4K image of a next gen game out of the output of a PS4 grade machine ? Nah.

That would be the right opportunity to throw around the word "trash".

This is literally 1080p -> 4K

And against the engine’s TAA

Let’s not even get into checkerboard solutions that PS4 had to reach decent resolution, would be no match to DLSS

Who even mentions to run « next gen » games at 4K on a mobile chip? Where did that new goal post come from?

It won't be half as powerful as the Xbox One X when docked. It will be like the Xbox One S when in handheld mode at a push. To be honest I stopped reading when it said it would have a 1080p screen. No chance. It will either be 720p or slightly higher like 800p.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
As fast as the PS4 and 4K with 30fps?

lol. People who make this stuff up really should learn more about DLSS and what it does and does not do.
My assumption is that this means 1080p upscaled to 4K, not native 4K.

I could see a ~1.5 TFLOP system being able to do this more or less.

Obviously 4chan rumor is 4chan rumor, but that isn't a crazy prediction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom