• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EGM Scores

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm here to give egm love.
i think it's a great magazine, and the review scores are generally spot-on.
they are yet to pull a game informer-esque paper mario 2 review atrocity that i can recall.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The hilarity is sure to continue when EGM eventually reviews Lost Planet and 6.8's it. :p

vala

UGnG reviews....

Famitsu 9988
Dengeki 95 85 85 85
Edge 9
Play Magazine 9.5

Toastyfrog 4.5/10

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

beelzebozo said:
i'm here to give egm love.
i think it's a great magazine, and the review scores are generally spot-on.
they are yet to pull a game informer-esque paper mario 2 review atrocity that i can recall.

Review scores are generally spot-on? Well, which of the three reviews per game would you be talking about, because those are rarely spot on to each other... :lol

Seems like a very hard statement to make when each reviewer gives a wildly different score.

vala said:
UGnG reviews....

Famitsu 9988
Dengeki 95 85 85 85
Edge 9
Play Magazine 9.5

Toastyfrog 4.5/10

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

the best part about toasty's comments on his blog are the way he both anticipates, and responds to, comments like this.

KINGMOKU

Mrbob said:
Can I still buy Dead Rising?
What, are you out of your mind?!?!?

Hell no, or maybe. Listen to the review scores man! If its under a 9.0, it has to suck, and the *insert magazine/online reviewer* is against *insert developer/consolemaker/publisher*

Speevy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Can I still buy Dead Rising?

I don't see why not. There's probably nothing mechanically wrong with it. I mean, one guy gave it an 8.

All signs point to this thing being over in a rental period.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DemDereNads said:
Review scores are generally spot-on? Well, which of the three reviews per game would you be talking about, because those are rarely spot on to each other... :lol

Seems like a very hard statement to make when each reviewer gives a wildly different score.

yeah, i can't comment on why they gave the game the scores they did (don't have the issue) or account for their personal tastes, but when the reviewers seem to come to some sort of general consensus (ex: 7.0, 7.5, 8.0 for dead rising, 9.0, 9.0, 9.5 for okami) that i tend to jibe with that consensus. i wouldn't be picking up a copy of deep labyrinth anyway, with some of those low scores.

but egm always gives me a good idea about the general quality of a title, and i give them credit for it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
On the plus side of all this, this thread nicely proves that no matter how mature some people fool themselves into thinking they are, they'll still whine like 3 year olds if people don't agree with their opinions on games. CAN YOU GUESS WHO?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Dead Rising is obviously such a bad game that you should just, raise your nose to it or take a dump on Capcoms HQ's sidewalk. Lets form a mob.

Mooreberg

BlueTsunami said:
Dead Rising is obviously such a bad game that you should just, raise your nose to it or take a dump on Capcoms HQ's sidewalk.

Bad idea. They would just package the dump and sell it as Beatdown 2: Farts of Vengeance

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i went and read toastyfrog's blog entry. what a self-satisfied twit. damned if he hasn't bashed an excellent game out of sheer spite. i suppose this is what happens when you blur the lines between publications, blogs, and message boards -- your publications get petty. when a game journalist wants a hit of his own ego, he'll usually just remind us that he knows what a "sku" is, or that e3 is overcrowded. would that toastyfrog were a touch less original -- first time i've wished that of a game journalist, and alas that it should be under these circumstances. i hope tweaking the noses of several dozen "hardcore gamers" on the internet was worth it, guy. you'll be wrong forever, but man wait til thenextlevel.com gets a hold of this. it'd be churlish of me not to freak out on cue.

anyway, i spoke prematurely about gm's difficulty -- it kicks in at level 4. when was the last time you saw a hard jump? a jump you had to think about, attempt, fail, rethink, and finally make however many cycles later? there's such a jump halfway through level 4. what a game.

GeoramA

Okami - 9.0, 9.5, 9.0 Gold Award, GOTM
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - 8.0, 9.0, 8.0, Silver Award
Tekken: Dark Resurrection - 8.0, 8.5, 8.0, Silver Award
So much bad Sony news lately!

LM4sure

Banned
Decent scores on Dead Rising. Kind of kills my desire to get a 360 now. I was seriously thinking about getting one just for this game. Hell, Resident Evil forced me to get a PS1. Unfortunately, I will not be picking up a 360 yet.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DemDereNads said:
Well lets put on our thinking caps for a second...

Notice in the follow reviews, you have scores from three seperate people acting as one review source who's scores are all over the map.

Prey - 6.5, 7.0, 8.0
Ninety-Nine Nights - 4.5, 4.5, 6.0
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - 7.0, 8.0, 6.5
Dance Factory - 3.0, 7.0, 2.0
Deep Labyrinth - 2.0, 3.0, 7.5
Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins - 7.5, 6.0, 4.5

Random numbers are pretty useless when trying to review games.

no actually this is really effective for reviewing games. really useless when trying to build up fuel for your dumbass fanboy flame war.

ProphetZG

Holy sh....

Who does these reviews? Trained monkeys? Blind trained monkeys?

Tekken DR is a HUGE leap for handheld fighting, nothing has EVER come close before. Plus it's a superb game on its own merits. Not that 8.0 is bad, but Tekken DR is more than that IMO.

And the UG&G scores are an embarrassing travesty. A totally unwarranted insult to an undeserving Capcom, and a badge of dishonor for the jackasses at EGM who put their names to those miserable scores. A 4.5? EGM itself is a damned 4.5 of a magazine.

At some point these reviewers should be reviewed. Because they literally can cause a game to fail, and UG&G doesn't deserve to fail.

Thank God I stopped subscribing and/or buying EGM long ago, back when Gamefan came along. I miss Gamefan - I'm sure they would've scored UG&G quite high if they still existed.

C- Warrior said:
Furthermore, the avg is a 7.5 -- that really doesn't tell you much, especially to comparison to N3 getting a 4.5 avg, (i think, didn't double check the scores) which says it's a universal piece of shit.

5 is average, not 7.5.

BTW, is your avatar Vash the Stampede?

Namomura

Can't believe this score... Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins deserve more than that, who the hell gave 4.5 ! : /

Namomura said:

Can't believe this score... Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins deserve more than that, who the hell gave 4.5 ! : /
Probably Shane.

What a moron, he can never back up his scores and he writes like shit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I want to play UG&G even more now. I've never disagreed with Jeremy, but this might be the first time.

sp0rsk said:
no actually this is really effective for reviewing games. really useless when trying to build up fuel for your dumbass fanboy flame war.

Doh, you have my number! I'm one of those stupid... Xbox360 - PS2 - DS - PSP fanboys!! Or... I just pointed out all the scattered scores regardless of what system it was on, which you included in your quote.

Namomura

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I want to play UG&G even more now. I've never disagreed with Jeremy, but this might be the first time.

I can't stop playing this game, the music is really terrific and the lighting effects are awesome (the ghosts seem so real), for the first time on a handheld, i feel frightened of bosses.

cartman414 said:
For reals? I'm suspecting you're messing, but sarcasm is hard to detect on the net.
suda51.jpg

threeball said:

hein??? what's with the 4.5 on UGG??

and WTF is wtih those 8s on Tekken DR? the game is actually more complete then the PS2 version of T5

Soul4ger

drohne said:
i went and read toastyfrog's blog entry. what a self-satisfied twit. damned if he hasn't bashed an excellent game out of sheer spite. i suppose this is what happens when you blur the lines between publications, blogs, and message boards -- your publications get petty. when a game journalist wants a hit of his own ego, he'll usually just remind us that he knows what a "sku" is, or that e3 is overcrowded. would that toastyfrog were a touch less original -- first time i've wished that of a game journalist, and alas that it should be under these circumstances. i hope tweaking the noses of several dozen "hardcore gamers" on the internet was worth it, guy. you'll be wrong forever, but man wait til thenextlevel.com gets a hold of this. it'd be churlish of me not to freak out on cue.

anyway, i spoke prematurely about gm's difficulty -- it kicks in at level 4. when was the last time you saw a hard jump? a jump you had to think about, attempt, fail, rethink, and finally make however many cycles later? there's such a jump halfway through level 4. what a game.

Something I've definitely noticed with him recently, and it's definitely getting on my last nerve. He did the same thing with his 8.0 for New Super Mario Bros, which isn't even a bad score - he writes a blog countering the complaints, before the review is even public. It's like he does it, just so he can explain that it just didn't meet his gloriously high expectations, and since he just expects more out of developers, he really isn't wrong. Definitely upsets me. I had a feeling when I saw the scores that he gave it the 4. Or one of the girls did.

Tiktaalik

drohne said:

Fair enough, although what about the 6? Even the 7.5 isn't an astoundingly good score. I'll have to wait to read the full reviews of course, but I have a feeling that there are several reasons why the score isn't sky high, not just dealing with difficulty.

Mr Toast

From the blog:

Had UG'n'G been attached to any other name, people would be throwing it off the rooftops and setting fire to the developers' hair; but since it's attached to a series known for its toughness, fans of the series are deluding themselves into believing that its cheap level designs, ugly graphical "style" and completely broken control scheme are positive traits. I've even read that Edge gave it a 9, which is unheard of for a lousy game developed outside the UK. Of course, I can't hold that against them -- my finger slipped on the number row recently as well, although admittedly not by five whole keys.

Sounds a little unprofessional to me.

On one hand, I realise that a review is completely subjective, so it's harsh to criticise toastyfrog for having his opinion and rating the game accordingly. But he shows no such respect towards the opinion of another.

Aaaaaaanyway - his review is more of an interesting outlier by the looks of it so far. It must be hard to make an impact when you only have four sentences for a review though, so in my opinion that's why I prefer to read a well considered review, score be damned.

Aeana

It is kind of amusing that people get so defensive regarding reviews of games they have not played yet. So some people say it is a good game, and then a magazine says it is not. These are just people's opinions, and people have vastly different tastes. Try it for yourself, and if you disagree, fine, but there is no sense in saying OMGGGGG (MAGAZINE) SUCKS COZ THEY RATED A GAME IM LOOKING 4WARD 2 LOW (what's "low" at now? 7? 8?)

The bottom line is: the amount of hype surrounding a game does not equate to quality AND people have different tastes. This shows very well in the review scores for Deep Labyrinth. Having already beaten the game, and LOVING it, I am still not disappointed with EGM's scores, because I understand that people who do not like first-person dungeon crawlers will not enjoy the game. But you don't see me defaming an entire magazine just because I disagree.

Mojovonio

Banned
Aeana said:
It is kind of amusing that people get so defensive regarding reviews of games they have not played yet. So some people say it is a good game, and then a magazine says it is not. These are just people's opinions, and people have vastly different tastes. Try it for yourself, and if you disagree, fine, but there is no sense in saying OMGGGGG (MAGAZINE) SUCKS COZ THEY RATED A GAME IM LOOKING 4WARD 2 LOW (what's "low" at now? 7? 8?)

The bottom line is: the amount of hype surrounding a game does not equate to quality AND people have different tastes. This shows very well in the review scores for Deep Labyrinth. Having already beaten the game, and LOVING it, I am still not disappointed with EGM's scores, because I understand that people who do not like first-person dungeon crawlers will not enjoy the game. But you don't see me defaming an entire magazine just because I disagree.

Dude, they gave Full Auto 8.0s. If that doesn't make you angry, I don't know what will.

Reilly

You guys have to remember that Capcom advertised the hell out of Dead Rising in EGM, so the scores are probably 1 or 2 points higher than they should be.

sprsk

from toastyfrog aka mr parish

Oh, Greg and Jay's reviews were perfectly fair. Deep Labyrinth is a very specific and niche-y kind of game. My perspective was that of someone who enjoys that sort of game, their perspective was that of people who don't. EGM's multi-review format is really at its best in cases like this.

i mean i dont want to sound like an ass but doesnt this contradict your whole "im right youre wrong" stance on UGNG?

How can you respect the opinions of other people who totally pan a game you seemed to like and not for GNG? Some of us DO like games that are retardedly hard and require super reflexes, mind you its not an established genre like the dungeon hack but hey, theres some really ****ing good platforming moments in this game. Level design is also really ****ing ace.
scott, you don't actually think I place stock in GAF's opinion about anything, do you? Come for the juicy tidbits of legitimate information, stay to laugh as socially defective man-children wallow in their own verbal filth.

gaf isnt a person or a unified entity.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Reilly said:
You guys have to remember that Capcom advertised the hell out of Dead Rising in EGM, so the scores are probably 1 or 2 points higher than they should be.
oh ffs

Sallokin

It's weird to me to see these N3 scores considering I just read PLAY's review, and they gave it a 9.0 if I remember correctly. Granted I'm not too familiar with PLAY Magazine, it's just odd that the scores are so vastly different.

sprsk

Sallokin said:
It's weird to me to see these N3 scores considering I just read PLAY's review, and they gave it a 9.0 if I remember correctly. Granted I'm not too familiar with PLAY Magazine, it's just odd that the scores are so vastly different.

hahaha play gave it a 9? sadness

Top Bottom