• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EGM Scores

AniHawk said:
And I can see why you seem to hate variety.

Ya, sorry... when you have three people who write 3-4 lines about a game and slap some random number on it that isn't close to the other reviewers, I would call that useless.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
threeball said:
XBOX 360

Dead Rising - 7.5, 7.0, 8.0
Prey - 6.5, 7.0, 8.0
Ninety-Nine Nights - 4.5, 4.5, 6.0
Bomberman Act: Zero - 3.0, 3.0, 2.0

PS2

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - 7.0, 8.0, 6.5
Okami - 9.0, 9.5, 9.0 Gold Award, GOTM
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - 5.0, 5.0, 4.0
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - 8.0, 9.0, 8.0, Silver Award
Dance Factory - 3.0, 7.0, 2.0

MULTIPLATFORM

Flatout 2 - 5.0, 4.5, 6.0
Super Monkey Ball Adventure - 3.5, 4.5, 5.0
Pac-Man World Rally - 6.5, 6.0, 5.0

DS

Deep Labyrinth - 2.0, 3.0, 7.5

PSP

Bomberman - 6.5, 5.5, 7.0
Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins - 7.5, 6.0, 4.5
Tekken: Dark Resurrection - 8.0, 8.5, 8.0, Silver Award

---

Dead Rising = All style and no substance?

EGM am suck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Listen, I hope I never have to own a minivan in my lifetime, but if I am an automobile reviewer, and the minivan I am reviewing has good gas mileage, good pickup, brakes, performance, etc, and I rate it a 2/10 because minivans aren't my thing, then I deserve to get tomatoes thrown at me.

That's objective criticism and I expect that too...I don't know if we didn't get it, though.

Billy Rygar said:
There is no such thing as an unbiased review of any kind, though certainly there are reviews in any medium that lack certain points of objectivity, but it all comes down to rather you enjoyed something or not.

So you believe THAT many professional reviewers actually LIKED a "game" like Nintendogs? Enough to go home and play it after the review was all said and done?

I believe they saw the merits of what it was... a Pet sim. Something Nintendogs does fairly well and warrants the 8s-9s it got.

Holy shit I'm a professional dev. and many of my colleagues who are ****ing game elitists if you ever seen it liked Nintendogs immensely. So bad example.

Zenith

Banned
skip said:
that's why there's...**** it. not worth it.

he has a point. having 3 wildly different review scores renders the review meaningless as you don't know if the guy who wrote is part of the small minority who really like/dislike it or if it's the other guys. it definitely means the number rating is useless.

Mrbob

Zenith said:
he has a point. having 3 wildy different review scores renders the review meaningless as you don't know if the guy who wrote is part of the small minority who give it a high/low score or if it's the other guys. it definitely means the number rating is useless.

Pretty much the truth. I would like to see number ratings get abolished, but it isn't going to happen.

AniHawk

DemDereNads said:
So you believe THAT many professional reviewers actually LIKED a "game" like Nintendogs? Enough to go home and play it after the review was all said and done?

Apparently moreso than UG&G

Christ almighty I am no advocate of numeriacal reviews but are you guys suggesting that you would prefer lockstep conformity to reviewers being able to say if they enjoyed a game or not?

Kusagari

Reilly said:
anyone who's saying the Dead Rising score was "expected" needs to check just about every thread on GAF over the past month.

How? I've been hyped for Dead Rising for months but I knew in the end this would not score 9+ on a reviewers scale. Our enjoyment from this game is going to be far greater than an average joe who will pick it up, beats it in 3 hours and never play it again. Just because your hyped for a game it doesn't mean you expect it to get amazing scores everywhere. I'm hyped for Disgaea 2 as well but I knew it would get the kind of scores EGM gave it.

Tiktaalik

Dead Rising - 7.5, 7.0, 8.0

A pretty good and expected score. It'll be interesting to see what the review text says.

Bomberman Act: Zero - 3.0, 3.0, 2.0

Hahahh DIE.

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - 7.0, 8.0, 6.5

One reviewer probably loves Disgaea and the other is probably really bored of it.

Okami - 9.0, 9.5, 9.0 Gold Award, GOTM

YES BUY DAY ONE.

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - 5.0, 5.0, 4.0

Still low scores after all the "fixes" to the North American version. The review text will be interesting.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - 8.0, 9.0, 8.0, Silver Award

Yay. I'll buy this.

Deep Labyrinth - 2.0, 3.0, 7.5

I don't know anything about this game, but what bizarre scores.

Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins - 7.5, 6.0, 4.5

Sounds to me like Mr.4.5 wanted jumping controls that were good. This game will be fairly polarizing so the review text should be good to read.

AniHawk

DemDereNads said:
I dunno... I think getting a 9 from Edge speaks much louder than what some joke publication says about the game. But that's just me.

Not really. It's just one person's opinion, not the magazine's.

it's probably been posted ( I didn't read the whole thread), but Jeremy Parish (toastyfrog) gave UGnG the 4.5 - and he defends himself here: http://toastyfrog.com/verbalspew/archives/archive_2006-m08.php#e166

He's not just saying "it's too hard".

Toastyfrog said:
Had UG'n'G been attached to any other name, people would be throwing it off the rooftops and setting fire to the developers' hair; but since it's attached to a series known for its toughness, fans of the series are deluding themselves into believing that its cheap level designs, ugly graphical "style" and completely broken control scheme are positive traits.

Billy Rygar said:
Christ almighty I am no advocate of numeriacal reviews but are you guys suggesting that you would prefer lockstep conformity to reviewers being able to say if they enjoyed a game or not?

All I'm saying is it's pretty apparent with typical reviewers what a 10 is, what a 9 is, what an 8 is, etc.

Yes, there obviously has to be some opinion in a review, but I believe there should be more objectiveness than opinion.

Perhaps I have some crazy gift where I'm able to shove my bias aside and see a game for what it is rather than giving something a terrible review because I don't particularly like it. I actually think Nintendogs deserves the 8s it got, but haven't given the game any more attention after watching my fiance play it for 10-15 minutes.

AniHawk

DemDereNads said:
All I'm saying is it's pretty apparent with typical reviewers what a 10 is, what a 9 is, what an 8 is, etc.

Yes, there obviously has to be some opinion in a review, but I believe there should be more objectiveness than opinion.

Perhaps I have some crazy gift where I'm able to shove my bias aside and see a game for what it is rather than giving something a terrible review because I don't particularly like it. I actually think Nintendogs deserves the 8s it got, but haven't given the game any more attention after watching my fiance play it for 10-15 minutes.

You are not unbiased. Let's clear that ****ing nonsense out of the way RIGHT now.

AniHawk said:
You are not unbiased. Let's clear that ****ing nonsense out of the way RIGHT now.

Oh no, please don't get cwanky. :lol

Say what you want... I've already said I have zero interest in playing Nintendogs, but from what I've seen, the game is a pet sim, and does the whole pet sim thing very well, and there for deserves higher than average scores.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
alright, i lied: i did read this thread. but one credit and some three levels into goku makaimura, i can say that toastyfrog's 4 point whatever shouldn't be reckoned as wrong -- it should be reckoned as ungrateful. it's an obviously great game with all the exuberance and excess that marks a labor of love, and to respond with a 4 is churlish. i'll post some more about makaimura later, but i don't mean to read toastyfrog's review or say any more about it.

and it doesn't seem particularly hard in original mode. shrug.

Oda

Clever Pun said:
He's not just saying "it's too hard".
Meh, to me he is, he's just trying to hide it by flowering his explanations up. I just took a quick glance at the rest of his site, and he seems to do that a lot, his opinions come off shallow and forced. We'll see for sure in his full review I guess.

He's a 1UP editor right? Who is he again?

Link1110

Oda said:
I'm too much of an FF7 whore to wait that long. I know, I know, I shouldn't give in, but I just can't help it. I'm like a mosquito staring at a bug zapper.

The gorgeous bluuuuuuue liiiiight.......i c-can't look a-away.......m-must touch it......must touch it now!!

Cry for me.

Then at the very least wait a week and buy one of the many used copies that will be at Gamestop (Protip: If you go to a game page on gamestop.com and enter your zip code, you can find any used game near you,) don't give Square-Enix the satisfaction of NPD sales+1.

Zenith

Banned
Billy Rygar said:

I have no idea what solution you could implement but the 3 review scores defeats the purpose of the review, which is to give a general impression of what the game is like and if it is worth playing.

take "Deep Labyrinth - 2.0, 3.0, 7.5" or "Dance Factory - 3.0, 7.0, 2.0"

which do I go with? the guys saying it's crap or the ones saying it's above average, because going by those scores it is a total failure of a game ridden with problems but features solid gameplay and content that is definitely worth considering if you are a fan of the genre.

Y2Kev

drohne said:
alright, i lied: i did read this thread. but one credit and some three levels into goku makaimura, i can say that toastyfrog's 4 point whatever shouldn't be reckoned as wrong -- it should be reckoned as ungrateful. it's an obviously great game with all the exuberance and excess that marks a labor of love, and to respond with a 4 is churlish. i'll post some more about makaimura later, but i don't mean to read toastyfrog's review or say any more about it.

and it doesn't seem particularly hard in original mode. shrug.

Please do post more. I can't believe he said the control scheme is broken considering everyone else is saying its basically the same as the classics.

Zenith said:
I have no idea what solution you could implement but the 3 review scores defeats the purpose of the review, which is to give a general impression of what the game is like and if it is worth playing.

take "Deep Labyrinth - 2.0, 3.0, 7.5" or "Dance Factory - 3.0, 7.0, 2.0"

which do I go with? the guys saying it's crap or the ones saying it's above average, because going by those scores it is a total failure of a game ridden with problems but features solid gameplay and content that is definitely worth considering if you are a fan of the genre.
It means tread lightly. That is all.

EGM aren't even gamers IMO. They seem to hate most everything these days. In the past, I'd rarely see them give games lower than a 6.

JavyOO7

svenuce said:
Let's see how some other outlets feel about Dead Rising.

EGM is hardly the final word.

No magazine has the final word. Ultimately the final word is on you. If you are on the fence about it then rent the game first and see what happens through there.

For example when I wanted a game for my Gamecube (did not have a PS2 yet) I chose Ultimate Muscle having no idea what to expect. Checked magazine reviews really quick when I got home that day and it scores painfully average reviews like 6 - 7. 70 hours of gameplay later can't say I really agreed with what any magazine said about the game.

Anyway, I'd love for another Luigi's Mansion sequel. Make it longer, let it have more variety and I am game. Game should be ideal for the wii remote, IMO.

Mana Knight said:
EGM aren't even gamers IMO. They seem to hate most everything these days. In the past, I'd rarely see them give games lower than a 6.

Ya... if a game is getting in the 4 and below range, the game better be bug ridden and unplayable.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i wonder whether anyone will ever put so much effort into a game of this style again -- it's probably going to sell badly. "again?" i can't believe they did it once -- playing goku makaimura, it's difficult to believe that it exists. as much as i like new smb, that game seemed very conscious of its status as a revived classic -- goku makaimura just goes about the business of expanding on some great old games, and doesn't seem anxious about anything. here i am personifying new smb and goku makaimura. but it's hard to describe, and i'm sure i'll say sillier things before i've stopped trying.

i think duckroll mentioned it, but the thorn whip is great -- professor f went and revived castlevania too.

syllogism

The EGM hate is hilarious. How dare they give my most anticipated game lower than expected grades? Have they even LOOKED at the screenshots and videos?

Swordian

DemDereNads said:
Ya... if a game is getting in the 4 and below range, the game better be bug ridden and unplayable.

What? Are you saying that if a game has been competently put together, even if it's crap, it should get an average score?

Some of you don't seem to understand the concept of the review. It might help if you looked at the text and not just the score. Having wildly different scores just means that people have different opinions on it and this provides a variety of viewpoints.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mana Knight said:

That is not a good thing. I would rather they use the entire 1 to 10 scale instead of cramming garbage and shovelware into scores of 6's and 7's.

Swordian said:
What? Are you saying that if a game has been competently put together, even if it's crap, it should get an average score?

Some of you don't seem to understand the concept of the review. It might help if you looked at the text and not just the score. Having wildly different scores just means that people have different opinions on it and this provides a variety of viewpoints.

Well if it's crap, then that would place it in the "unplayable" category. ;)

If so many people here are saying "EGM am the suck" why are they putting much weight on non-indicitive scores in the first place for Dead Rising. EGM is a source for reviews but it's only one source. Why don't you wait on what others think?

Furthermore, the avg is a 7.5 -- that really doesn't tell you much, especially to comparison to N3 getting a 4.5 avg, (i think, didn't double check the scores) which says it's a universal piece of shit.

You also have to remember the reason for score deduction for Dead Rising could be for things you give two shits about -- for example the lack of some sort of online gameplay, which wouldn't surprise me considering it's almost become standard for 360 games thusfar.

woodchuck

Don't we get this every month with EGM.

Don't look at the highest score, lowest score, or average. You're going to have to actually read the review.

For example, suppose there's a game called Game Y, sequel to Game X:

One reviewer may have never played Game X and gives Game Y a 7.
One reviewer loves Game X and gave Game Y a 9.
One reviewer hates Game X and gave Game Y a 5.

You're just going to have to read the review to see how you identify with the reviewer. That's why I like the three person review system. It provides different perspectives.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Why are people disagreeing with FFXII, Okami, and Yakuza trinity? Do you hate games or something?

Has Michael Madsen clouded your judgement?

Who's that?

By the by, is Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts a remake or is there added stuff in there?

Y2Kev

Oblivion said:
Who's that?

By the by, is Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts a remake or is there added stuff in there?

Who is Michael Madsen or who disagrees with the holy ps2 trinity?

Top Bottom