• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryBird

Banned
Watch Dogs is indeed a cross gen game with the next-gen platforms as lead. And I stand by what I said, I watched the KZ footage multiple times and while it looks lovely, it did not it nearly as impressive as the Watch Dogs demo.

I don't know why but the water rendering is a detail that's scarved upon my brain :
image_watch_dogs-21472-2527_0001.jpg

Character models, effects, textures and lighting are what impress me so much, oh and the animation as well. I'm not seeing anything new in the KZ footage, the assets are what I would expect from a decent next-gen game, nothing more.

Oh 'cmon that's clearly a bullshot

j/k

They were both impressive to me though

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
But it doesn't, lol. There's footage of it were you can clearly see the jaggies and not so hot textures. Someone had even posted screenshots.
screenshots from where?
the uncompressed video is the acceptable source, I said before the second the trailer starts it's noticeable how much detail is missing
the 1080p compressed video had textures that was flat colours yet the uncompressed video it has details like metallic paint on the aircrafts door at the beginning, or the skin details on the bold dudes head as you walk pass
or how you can read the main characters name clearly when he goes through the security check,those little details, all missing
so where was those shots from?

Tom Penny

Yeah, but those screens are taken from compressed videos.

The most technologically impressive game of the night was Guerrilla's Killzone Shadow Fall. Official press materials seemingly offer us our first bullshots of the next-gen era, weighing in at 3840x2160 resolution. We would guess that these 1080p shots we've sourced from an ultra-high quality version of the trailer are more indicative of the in-game experience. Use the View All button to access full resolution shots.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-killzone-shadow-fall-ps4-1080p-screenshot-gallery

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

This is what I like to see, realistic screen shots, these are what we should be posting, not 4k 'bullshots', it does nothing but raise unrealistic expectations for in game IQ (which is very important), I'm not trying to downplay the PS4's capabilities, I just would prefer we don't hype ourselves up on 'tech' demo's and down-sampled images, to my eyes down-sampled vs native shots are WORLDS APART, even on PC.

nib95

Banned
That IQ is insane because those are 4K images, cleaned up and downsized to 1080p The game won't look like that.

The game will not only look better but the game already DOES look better. The screen shots are missing some of the post processing, depth of field and focus blur the actual demo has.

KKRT00

Personally, I think textures in Crysis 3 are currently more impressive overall, but geometry wise KZ definitely has it beat. Even on the character models in crysis you can see some rather angular features.

Crysis 3 pushes even 10m polys on Very High settings without tessellation and it has insane amount of polys on different parts of environment.

Boss Man

Watch Dogs is indeed a cross gen game with the next-gen platforms as lead. And I stand by what I said, I watched the KZ footage multiple times and while it looks lovely, it did not it nearly as impressive as the Watch Dogs demo.
Eh, I guess people will just have to agree to disagree with you on that. Killzone is easily the most impressive console game I've ever seen, not even close really. Unless Deep Down was real, but I am about 99.99% sure it wasn't.

I'm not seeing anything new in the KZ footage, the assets are what I would expect from a decent next-gen game, nothing more.
I could agree with this. Still the most impressive thing seen so far though.

FourMyle

It's only been 4 days since the conference. It is going to be a long and excruciating wait until we get more next gen footage :/

velociraptor

Eh, I guess people will just have to agree to disagree with you on that. Killzone is easily the most impressive console game I've ever seen, not even close really. Unless Deep Down was real, but I am about 99.99% sure it wasn't.

I could agree with this. Still the most impressive thing seen so far though.

Watch Dogs looks more impressive because 99% of open world games released last gen look like dog shit, such as GTA4. There is no open world game which looks close to Watch Dogs.

Stark

Banned
Watch Dogs looks more impressive because 99% of open world games released last gen look like dog shit, such as GTA4. There is no open world game which looks close to Watch Dogs.

I hope it can keep it stable in the final game. After all the "edited" demos for AC3, I don't trust Ubisoft entirely.

Oh the horror the horror!!

I can't believe GG thought they could get away with this!

KZS2.jpg

Not really. I'm just not dumb enough to believe downsized screenshots without and iota of aliasing will be the IQ of the game when it releases because it isn't.

I understand getting worked up over shots that bear no resemblance to the BS PR were handed but you can clearly see even from screens taken directly from the compressed as hell video that the parity between the two is extremely close. So stop standing on a soap box 4 inches off the ground.

Stark

Banned
I understand getting worked up over shots that bear no resemblance to the BS PR were handed but you can clearly see even from screens taken directly from the compressed as hell video that the parity between the two is extremely close. So stop standing on a soap box 4 inches off the ground.

Exactly. They look near parity with each other.

Yes please!, try to get some close up screen grabs of the glass building as that has a lot of diagonal lines on it which is a magnet for aliasing.

Okay, any other requests? Look at the YouTube version of the "trailer" and throw me some run times :D

OH and where should I host the PNG files?

A.R.K

What can be a KZ thread without the hate and speculation that everything was bullshot and GG tried to fool us ... the force is strong with KZ haters ;)

itsneogaf.gif :/

PS: glad to see old KZ2 folks back in this thread :) ... can't wait to play the MP with GAF clan again, hopefully we get back the KZ2 MP this time. Is kittonwy still alive?? or banned forever?

lowrider007

I dunnu, it seems 'certain' people in this forum like to chop and change at the drop of a hat, we now have people on here defending 4k down sampled shots, saying that they will look familiar to the finished article, bullshit, we're on a forum where a lot of people would agree that the difference between no AA and 4xxSMAA is MASSIVE, think back to the GTA4 comparisons between PS3 and 360, there is a massive difference in terms of IQ between 4k down-sampled shots and 1080p native, look at dennis4k's down-sampled PC shots compared with native res shots, and I think his original res is only 1440p.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Yeah, I'll be happy to finally play open world games that don't look and run like total shit. Maybe I'll be able to get into those type of games this time around.

LEGGZZZZ

Character models, effects, textures and lighting are what impress me so much, oh and the animation as well. I'm not seeing anything new in the KZ footage, the assets are what I would expect from a decent next-gen game, nothing more.

I just don't see how Watch Dogs looks so Next Gen, it looks like a natural evolution of the
Ubisoft AC Engine. I won't continue to derail the thread, but I just don't see it other than minor expected improvements like those you mentioned, especially considering we still haven't even seen it running on any console yet.
Grand Theft Auto V looks just as if not more impressive than Watch Dogs based on the few videos and screens and info released, and that's a Current gen game. I can't wait for them both to be
released so someone can point out to me what's Next Gen about Watch Dogs in comparison.

Again though, nothing wrong with having a different opinion than mine.

I dunnu, it seems 'certain' people in this forum like to chop and change at the drop of a hat, we now have people on here defending 4k down sampled shots, saying that they will look familiar to the finished article, bullshit, we're on a forum where a lot of people would agree that the difference between no AA and 4xxSMAA is MASSIVE, look at the GTA4 comparisons between PS3 and 360, there is a massive difference in terms of IQ between 4k down-sampled shots and 1080p native, look at dennis4k's down-sampled PC shots compared with native res shots, and I think his original res is only 1440p.

I didn't downsample anything in those comparisons. There is the straight 1080p shot from the compressed as hell video from eurogamer and the full 4K shot cropped.

If you can't see massive differences between those two than I think we tip our hats to GG and move the hell on.

Also I think Penny is a excellent commentator on this stuff but I just think its not the big deal he thinks it is.

What can be a KZ thread without the hate and speculation that everything was bullshot and GG tried to fool us ... the force is strong with KZ haters ;)

There is no hate or speculation, if it has a higher resolution than 1080p it's a bullshot. Well unless someone is stupid enough to upscale.

Xun

Lighting, IQ, bokeh, twice as many pixels, etc. There's more to games then just triangles and textures.

Everything in terms of tech as mentioned before. Alongside the fact that there is geometric rubble and not a huge pile of low-res mud is a huge feat alone.

I'm actually playing KZ3 as we speak and honestly, Shadow Fall looks WAY better, it's not even close.

The rubble doesn't look like mainly textures over a humped shape with a few other shapes on top?
it's pushing more polys, a lot more obviously
I understand this, but do you honestly think it's a generational leap? I suppose since I work in graphics I'm not as impressed as some people, and Crysis 3 really set the bar for shooters. I also wished developers put more effort into making the camera sway more realistically, along with better animation.

Some of the geometry looks very current-gen to me, but I do agree that the fancy effects are a welcome addition, as I said earlier.

lowrider007

I didn't downsample anything in those comparisons. There is the straight 1080p shot from the compressed as hell video from eurogamer and the full 4K shot cropped.

If you can't see massive differences between those two than I think we tip our hats to GG and move the hell on.

I wasn't talking about your posted shots.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I tell you, once the game is out, someone will eat crow. I'm willing to bet my avatar for month, that's how sure I am that KZ won't look like that.

Huh? Like what? Are you saying the video is CGI? Have you not seen the gameplay demos? I'm willing to take this bet.

Jack_AG

Banned
I understand this, but do you honestly think it's a generational leap? I suppose since I work in graphics I'm not as impressed as some people, and Crysis 3 really set the bar for shooters. I also wished developers put more effort into making the camera sway more realistically, along with better animation.

Some of the geometry looks very current-gen to me, but I do agree that the fancy effects are a welcome addition, as I said earlier.

We still need to see a lot more in terms of AI, immersion, physics, etc to see where we stand, exactly. But from a visual standpoint it is a bump from the previous generation. I don't think there's anything wrong with current-gen's models - but having more of them on screen with better textures - then letting the lighting, dof, etc lead the charge in making changes.

We will still have to see when it hits our TVs/monitors natively from source instead of videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom