• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xun

20.jpg

killzone3_63viexn.jpg

KZ4_Rubble.jpg

Does this still look minimal to you? Also consider the resolution as well.

By the way this is just a launch title, usually games look better later on the consoles lifecycle.
I personally think KZ3 compares nicely with the new game.

Also what about that shot is a generational leap over current-gen? Because I'm not seeing it.

Jack_AG

Banned

Also what about that shot is a generational leap over current-gen? Because I'm not seeing it.
Lighting, IQ, bokeh, twice as many pixels, etc. There's more to games then just triangles and textures.

You misunderstand. I didn't mean art, I meant i'd rather have a game that is graphically like killzone 2 and running at 60fps than Killzone 4 at 30fps.

Not to say the new one doesn't look sexy.
This 30fps is a downer. I'm not a PC gamer but when I go to PAX East and see all those games on PC running at 60fps it's a beautiful thing. I have this idea that a few of those COD sales may have something to do with 60fps. Why are no other developers on consoles willing to try it out?

Veezy

que?
Okay, to be clear, I thought that was an obvious troll due to the fact we have a "Patcher was right about PS4 graphics" thread and a "I'm not hyped about PS4 'cause of R1" thread.

But, my bad. Game does look amazing.

Well, consider yourself blessed. You can save yourself a lot of money.

sorry for editing your post, it was just for fun :p. You do have untrained eyes though, but so do most casuals

I agree that there is a lot of room for improvement though. I think Guerilla thinks the same.

This is not the best next gen is capable of. This game is a launch game, and they didn't even know 8GB GDDR5 was going to be available when they made it.

Look at screen shots for Call of Duty 2 on Xbox 360 in 2005 and compare them to Uncharted 3. This generation has a long way to go.

Edit: oh you were trolling.

Yep, sure. Most of the games I play right now on my ps3 look like that. I may even say KZ for ps4 is only a bit above average and even Uncharted 2 from 2009 tops it...

I love minimal increments :).
Sony, give me more minimal increments.

EDIT : oh, on purpose trolling...

20.jpg

killzone3_63viexn.jpg

KZ4_Rubble.jpg

By the way this is just a launch title, usually games look better later on the consoles lifecycle.

I love that next gen is here.

Stark

Banned

Everything in terms of tech as mentioned before. Alongside the fact that there is geometric rubble and not a huge pile of low-res mud is a huge feat alone.

Shayan

Banned
look at the fine particles flying around in KZ

This is easily the best looking game yet so far on consoles/PC. The only reason some might not be blown away is that it has a similiar monotone to other games but again u saw just 5 minutes of the game only

The problem with Crysis 3 is that no-matter how high you push the resolution on the PC version it is still a game built with PS360 in mind.

I think this is a big limiting factor in terms of its graphics. Course it looks really good maxed out on PC but imo it doesn't scream next gen to me.

Something about the K:SF gameplay demo did look 'next-gen'. I think it was to do with the scale (or perceived scale of the very opening on board the aircraft) and the particle effects.

I am a hard time seeing the difference in "next-gen-ness" you see. They BOTH look nextgen to me.

Have you seen some of the "scale" present in Crysis 3? Let alone the particle effects?

Meet the typoon. AKA. Next Gen Particle Effects: The Gun

Scale

Scale

Crazy detail:

And these are just screenshots. With the pixel acurate motonblur and top-notch animation... it truly does look nextgen.

If that does not convey a smilar next gen feeling to you as KZSF does, then I feel as if you are purposefully ignoring the obvious similarities between the two...

BTW: Sorry for shitting this thread up with screenshots... I just think some people are talking out of their ass. Once again.. I am very excited to see much more of this next-gen looking killzone game.

Zen

Banned
If you think that's next gen, then you're going to die when they show off crysis 4.

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis3_2013_02_24_18w2qfb.png

The art in this scene looks great, but a ton of low res 2D sprites.

Umm it says here that MS acquired Bungie in 2000 until 07 when Bungie went independent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie

Hypothetically speaking, couldn't ND do the same thing or is the case different?

Microsoft let them go (to the old owners) in exchange for an amazing ton of money and a two game contract and MS keeping the Halo IP.

Naughty Dog is never going anywhere, they worked with Sony pretty much their entire modern existence, and have been Sony owned since the 2001 and Andy Gavin is still the head of the company.

There's no MS Bungie creative burnout and restrictions for Naughty Dog.

I am playing Crysis 3 right now and if it wasn't for Crytek PC games would have no real bragging rights against consoles but DAMN Crysis looks so amazing that I swear it tricks me to like the game more.

Perkel

Banned
We're still going there eh? It was said 8gig of GDDR5 was impossible to. Its quite capable now after that upgrade. Early kits and less ram to work with.

I thinking about it with upgrade to 8GB. 8GB won't mean it will now do 60FPS games instead of 30FPS. I am thinking about similar overspeced PC and what framerate could do with that 1080p res at that quality graphics.

No way sherlock that they will have 60FPS with that graphic. We are talking here about Crysis 3 level if not more graphic with ton of various effects. This shit would be problematic on better PC even to get stable 30FPS. 8GB won't magicly make your hardware twice as fast (this is needed for 60FPS).

They would need to target 60FPS from start.

Anyone else been replaying the past Killzones because of this?

I started another Killzone 2 run through on Elite and got up to the bridge scene right before Radec's Academy, the AI in this game are still remarkably impressive. Also dat atmosphere. On that scene with the tanks and the flood gate I remember someone saying in an RTTP that instead of getting in the tank they ran back up the ladder and to the catwalk where all the rocketeers come, killed them, and used their rockets to take out the tanks. Tried that out and it was quite enjoyable!

Went to try some multiplayer but it was all Radec Academy so I decided to create my own server (never done this before in KZ2) and it hit me that you could set it up to play botzone cooperatively with friends. Wish I knew this early, really great for co-oping.

Sold my copy of KZ3 a long time ago but had an itch to play that multiplayer again as well, which was great since they have KZ3 MP as a standalone product on the store. Actually didn't realize it came with all the DLC as well, some of those added maps are really well designed, especially Lente Missile Base.

i-Lo

i know man, have a completely different image of the uncharted series in my head.

Got damn, Uncharted 2 looks a lot better in my head.

And do you know why that is case besides the fact that our memories are imperfect and we tend sub in the details we can not remember and its dependent upon our bias? The answer is "motion". In motion everything looks that much better because we do not stand around scrutinizing every frame in utmost detail. So even now, UC2 would look fantastic when you actively play it.

Eideka

Banned
I am playing Crysis 3 right now and if it wasn't for Crytek PC games would have no real bragging rights against consoles but DAMN Crysis looks so amazing that I swear it tricks me to like the game more.

I have to admit KZ PS4 does not impress me that much now that I have seen the latest Crysis 3 levels.

I wouldn't say it's a generational leap over Crysis 3 PC at all.

I always find UC screens a lot more jaggy than videos and gameplay

Yea UC screens are never right looking for some reason, game does look so much better when you play it.

But it has aged a bit, the game still looks amazing at times and really has a ton on the screen at times, but replaying them, they are showing some age now with the new stuff coming. In motion the games still do stuff that other games aren't doing as well though

I'm actually playing KZ3 as we speak and honestly, Shadow Fall looks WAY better, it's not even close.

Shayan

Banned
I have to admit KZ PS4 does not impress me that much now that I have seen the latest Crysis 3 levels.

to each his own

but KZ PS4 looks way more impressive than Crysis 3 . However, we all have our own opinions

i know man, have a completely different image of the uncharted series in my head.
Don't worry. It's normal. But clouded memory on visuals can not be underestimated.
I had the same with RE4. A game that looked amazing back in the days. When i played it again years later i was shocked how dated it looked. As long as you notice it and realise it, it's fine.

Ofcourse games look better in motion, when you're focussing on the action instead of on textures.

As great as some devs are in getting the most out of the available hardware, this gen had big limitations. I love that Sony made the decisions based on what devs asked (within the boundries of reason).

The thing to remember though is the launch games for the PS3 couldn't hold their own against anything. Gears outclassed all of them and Crysis appeared to be a whole generational leap ahead.

With KZS in someways it has more impressive things going on than CRY3 and in other ways its less impressive. The very idea that as a launch game though it could match a game on maximum settings on PC by the best developer PC has right now is a vastly different situation than were used to.

Derrick01

Banned
We have to also remember that it'll likely be a much better game than Crysis 3. I sometimes wonder if anyone but art and graphics people even work at Crytek anymore.

Just thought about multiplayer how the mission announcer, propaganda speaker, and chirp will likely come from the controller speakers. This is a little thing but it has me excited.

with the PS4, i don't think companies or magazine need to ever uber sample or doctor their screenshots as much anymore. Current gen graphics look great, but they always looked pretty awful in stills, with a few exceptions. They look better in motion. But all those Killzone 4 images are thing of beauty.

I think the game looks fucking awesome, GG has really good artists too. Now they need to ditch the linear bull shit and make it massive!! I want big battlefields with a ton of vehicles and so on ^_^

kitch9

Banned
We have to also remember that it'll likely be a much better game than Crysis 3. I sometimes wonder if anyone but art and graphics people even work at Crytek anymore.

I'm finding Crysis 3 a touch meh.... Even the looks are a bit meh, apart from the wavy grass which appears to Cryteks new thing as there is 5 foot long grass everywhere....... I'm playibg it maxed on my PC on a 1080p 46" Sony Bravia.

Give me particles, flying debris and hollywood volumetric physics based explosions on a grand scale, thats all I need.

Like I said I am playing through it right now and its relatively entertaining but its not even as good as Crysis2 which was a huge step down from Crysis 1. It feels like the only talent that stayed on at that company is the tech team.

Just thought about multiplayer how the mission announcer, propaganda speaker, and chirp will likely come from the controller speakers. This is a little thing but it has me excited.

Lead MP designer of KZ2 is back in the house at GG as well!

Zen

Banned
Like I said I am playing through it right now and its relatively entertaining but its not even as good as Crysis2 which was a huge step down from Crysis 1. It feels like the only talent that stayed on at that company is the tech team.

Lead MP designer of KZ2 is back in the house at GG as well!

All I ask is that the same weight and slower pace returns as well. Killzone 3 was such a shit pile from top to bottom.

Eideka

Banned
The thing to remember though is the launch games for the PS3 couldn't hold their own against anything. Gears outclassed all of them and Crysis appeared to be a whole generational leap ahead.
Hum....I had a PS3 back then and Uncharted DF looked better than Gears in my humble opinion, this was the best looking game at the time prior to Crysis.

With KZS in someways it has more impressive things going on than CRY3 and in other ways its less impressive. The very idea that as a launch game though it could match a game on maximum settings on PC by the best developer PC has right now is a vastly different situation than were used to.
Given that Crysis 3 is not a next-gen title I expected better from Killzone PS4. Crysis 3 is still a game rooted in current-gen mind you.

Not to downplay the graphics of this new Killzone, it looks (to me) better than Crysis 3 maxed out on PC, but by a tiny margin.
And the fact that it only used 1.5bg of VRAM is not surprising in the least.

To my mind Watch Dogs is the true graphics milestone of the show.

I'm finding Crysis 3 a touch meh.... Even the looks are a bit meh, apart from the wavy grass which appears to Cryteks new thing as there is 5 foot long grass everywhere....... I'm playibg it maxed on my PC on a 1080p 46" Sony Bravia.

Give me particles, flying debris and hollywood volumetric physics based explosions on a grand scale, thats all I need.
the game sucks, it's overhyped by the PC fanboys who spend extreme amount of $$ on their rigs.
Terrible game so far but I just got into the nano demo, it might get better....

Hum....I had a PS3 back then and Uncharted DF looked better than Gears in my humble opinion, this was the best looking game at the time prior to Crysis.

I am just talking about launch software.

Uncharted was the first game that really showed what the machine could do but it wasn't released until well after launch window.

the game sucks, it's overhyped by the PC fanboys who spend extreme amount of $$ on their rigs.
Terrible game so far but I just got into the nano demo, it might get better....

It doesn't.

20.jpg

killzone3_63viexn.jpg

KZ4_Rubble.jpg

Aren't all these KZ screens taken from compressed videos? Direct feed screens look much better.

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_killzone_shadow_fall-21469-2660_0010.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_killzone_shadow_fall-21469-2660_0007.jpg

You can go here for more screens:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_ps4_killzone_shadow_fall_unveiled-13810_en.html

Eideka

Banned
I am just talking about launch software.

Uncharted was the first game that really showed what the machine could do but it wasn't released until well after launch window.

Where I'm living, the PS3 launched in March 2007 so Uncharted 1 was still a very recent game for me at the time. :)

And it impressed me much more than Gears, the water effects were incredible by 2007 standards, easily on par with Crysis.

You know your doing something right when Dennis is impressed.

Where I'm living, the PS3 launched in March 2007 so Uncharted 1 was still a very recent game for me at the time. :)

And it impressed me much more than Gears, the water effects were incredible by 2007 standards, easily on par with Crysis.

That makes sense.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

The rubble doesn't look like mainly textures over a humped shape with a few other shapes on top?
it's pushing more polys, a lot more obviously

That IQ is insane. And if they're pulling out those textures and the overall graphical quality with early devkits with 1.5GB VRAM the final build will be ridicolous. And that's just a freaking launch game. Imagine how SSM's and ND's effort will look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom