• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuga

Banned

funny_set_of_gifs_to_share_your_appreciation_22.gif

New thread, new news by the way.

Targeting this for launch as an early PS4 showpiece is probably Sony's attempt to push the franchise up the FPS pecking order. To do so they'd need to bring new players in, calling it KZ4 would make people think they should have played 1, 2 & 3. Hence moving the setting 30 years forward.
Notice the new inFAMOUS also ditches the number and has a new main character. Expect all early PS4 games to do this so it appears as a better starting point for new players, even Uncharted when it comes around.

test_account

XP-39C²
Killzone 3 was a little too fast paced IMO, still fun. It would of been a thousand times better with spawn grenades.
Yeah, i missed the portable spawns. I can see why they removed it though, since there were quite mixed opinions about it in Killzone 2. I remember there were discussion about if people show be invincible for 1 second or not right after spawning, since people threw the spawnpoints pretty much on to the objective sometimes. Then there were discussions if it should be possible to throw a spawn point that close to the objective.

Had the ability to be invisible (cloak), could jam radar, would stay cloaked even when firing if using a silenced weapon, had a very good silenced machine pistol. Also had use of a beast AR, and beast sniper rifle. Unfortunately cloak + silenced weapon gave some players the perfect camping class.

Edit, from memory I think the Devs eventually nerfed the Marksman, a long time after the game shipped though. I think they gave his radar jammer a cooldown period, so he would show up on the mini-map, could be wrong, haven't played online in ages.
Ah ok, i see. Personally i never upgraded to the radar jamming actually. I can see the advantage with it, but it also has a disadvantage. If you see that the radar is being jammed, you know that there is a marksman close by.

Yeah, i missed the portable spawns. I can see why they removed it though, since there were quite mixed opinions about it in Killzone 2.

Ah ok, i see. Personally i never upgraded to the radar jamming actually. I can see the advantage with it, but it also has a disadvantage. If you see that the radar is being jammed, you know that there is a marksman close by.

There was a marksman nearby but he was invisible and had an AR. Was completely stupid and one of the many reasons I dropped KZ3 like a hot potato as well as a bunch of friends who played KZ2 religiously.

Sorral

It looked quite a bit closed off to me. Running around the heavy gunner by 20 feet isn't my idea of "open". You wind up at the same exact spot. Choosing door 1 vs door 2 that both lead to the exact same room isn't "open". It's still exceedingly linear, IMO.

Now if you could have chosen to go through buildings, different floors, maybe a bridge between a few buildings, etc - then I would consider it "open", to a very small extent. But a simple "I'll cut the left real quick and get behind the guy" isn't open, by default.

You are right on it not being so open, but I disagree on the linearity. It already looks less linear than KZ2 and 3 because we the char wasn't stuck in all A to B corridors and surrounded by walls. They kept showing the scale over and over throughout the demo/trailer and that was just one stage.

Maybe I am getting my hopes too high for something more than corridors/so linear, but I don't think that's too much to expect now is it D:

test_account

XP-39C²
There was a marksman nearby but he was invisible and had an AR. Was completely stupid and one of the many reasons I dropped KZ3 like a hot potato as well as a bunch of friends who played KZ2 religiously.
Wasnt it possible for the marksman to have a automatic rifle in KZ2 as well? Been so long since i've played it that i forgot :)

Visceir

You are right on it not being so open, but I disagree on the linearity. It already looks less linear than KZ2 and 3 because we the char wasn't stuck in all A to B corridors and surrounded by walls. They kept showing the scale over and over throughout the demo/trailer and that was just one stage.

Maybe I am getting my hopes too high for something more than corridors/so linear, but I don't think that's too much to expect now is it D:

I think the cityscape sections were more to show off what the ps4 is capable of technologically. The gameplay was still extremely streamlined and linear.

You had an on the rails section to the level, then were guided from point a to point b to a sandbox where the action happened and then had another on the rails section at the end.

A new thread can give us answers more quickly.
Someone?

The topic has been discussed already in other threads.

i-Lo

Who is Phil? If not a GG developer, pointless post. Even now I do feel like 8GB was too excessive. Like I said many times in the past, I'd have preferred a stronger GPU with 4GB GDDR5 over 8GB GDDR5 ram, but who knows, maybe in future the extra ram will provide more dividends, especially combined with software feature improvements etc which might also be ram intensive.

And I have already mentioned, developers will not be getting 8GB to play with. It'll be somewhere between 4-7GB. Given that RAM is the number one, numero uno, the first wall developers hit in a closed box environment (and this was glaringly obvious on PS3), Sony aims to ensure that wall is moved much further away than before so that the devs feel like they have enough room to stretch and then some for future.

In this generation, we have seen visuals, animations etc change over time and the devs have accomplished things that some of us, given the first/second year creations, thought nearly impossible (Resistance/R&C:ToD vs GoW3/Uncharted 3). Who knows what this generation will bring as time passes. Sony is and should rightly ensure that the path of the journey is not filled obstacles uncalled for.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This is crazy if true

Not so crazy. Some of the earlier devkits are PCs with split ram structure and a graphics card with 2gb of ram. It takes quite a bit of time to develop a fully playable gameplay demo, so I would expect that this demo was made quite a while back.

Binabik15

Vektan neighbourhood has fancy airconditioning, the genetically superior Helghan need their dirty air.

Edit: man, forgot to refresh the page and now my post is totally out of context.

Wasnt it possible for the marksman to have a automatic rifle in KZ2 as well? Been so long since i've played it that i forgot :)

Not really. Unless you picked up a dropped weapon. It was a sniper rifle specific class which I think was a good thing. I played as that class for a bit of a change up sometimes. I really liked how the classes in KZ2 were very distinct when it came to weapons/abilities and there were no perks as such.

Perkel

Banned
I watched original uncompressed Killzone Shadowfall video and it was not 60FPS. It was 30FPS. Stop believing in youtube comments where everybody can be bill gates.

Who is Phil? If not a GG developer, pointless post. Even now I do feel like 8GB was too excessive. Like I said many times in the past, I'd have preferred a stronger GPU with 4GB GDDR5 over 8GB GDDR5 ram, but who knows, maybe in future the extra ram will provide more dividends, especially combined with software feature improvements etc which might also be ram intensive.

It will only allow for easy porting between the two systems. Sony devs were happy with just 2GB DDR5 after all.

Seems much less efficient than the originally rumoured specs but if Sony is taking the hit then I suppose its not too much of a problem.

Sid

It will only allow for easy porting between the two systems. Sony devs were happy with just 2GB DDR5 after all.

Seems much less efficient than the originally rumoured specs but if Sony is taking the hit then I suppose its not too much of a problem.
Who says they were happy with 2GB GDDR5?

Sorral

Which happened to be on some random grunt starfighter :/

I think Stahl really wanted to nuke all of Earth, so he equipped all his drones/ships even that small starfighter with nukes because Earth doesn't have Putrisites on it, so he would need a lot of nukes to make it worthwhile.

I just rewatched it and man, Rico is so stupid I don't know where to begin. I forgot that they were RIGHT ON the source of the Putrisites which triggered the chain reactions. It didn't even look like they needed to nuke Stahl's ship since he was 'pulling up'.

Warning: Killzone 3 Ending Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-JUuI83KI

i-Lo

Comments like these are just so short sighted.

Setsuna

I want them to update the design of the M82. Don't want to see the exact same guns in all the games.

yeah this game is ....

I was going to say this game is supposed to be set 30 years in the future and that no one uses the same gun for 30 years.

Then I thought about the m16.

Perkel

Banned
There's an uncompressed gameplay video? where?

gamersyde, It is trailer not gameplay video.

edit: Just checked every trailer on gamersyde is up to 500mb. only KZ4 trailer is 66MB. I take it back.

Still no 60FPS there is no chance they can do that.

JoshHood

Not uncompressed, but there's a crazy bitrate version on the US Sony press site. The demo was definitely 30fps at this stage, and really I'd be unsurprised if that changes - framerate targeting is part of development, and doubling it suddenly would be a lot of effort for a game with likely ~7 months left of development.

Visceir

links? I would like to read it.

Can't remember which thread it was in but basically what was said was that when the console has 4 GB of ram then some of it would be reserved by the OS (500 MB - 1 GB) and some of it would go for CPU use and what was left for graphics was 1.5 GB.

But now that sony upped the ram to 8 GB there will be more than 1.5 GB memory available for graphics, but obviously it won't be ~*8 GB*~ all of a sudden since some of it will still go to the OS and CPU.

Besides none of us knows if GG knew about the 8 GB upgrade and if the Killzone demo was optimized with 4 GB or 8 GB.

Since this is just alpha footage of the game though I'm sure we can see some huge improvements before the game is released -- even more so if they indeed have more memory to play around with.

Sid

gamersyde, It is trailer not gameplay video

Not uncompressed, but there's a crazy bitrate version on the US Sony press site. The demo was definitely 30fps at this stage, and really I'd be unsurprised if that changes - framerate targeting is part of development, and doubling it suddenly would be a lot of effort for a game with likely ~7 months left of development.
Cool,I hope this will run at locked 30 FPS.

dan2026

no. I am positive it was confirmed 30 and realistically given the images produced... will stay at 30.

Bleh. Forget it then.
How on earth can the PS4 have these amazing specs but still developers still can't easily make their games 60fps.
It should be a no-brainer by now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
By the VGLeaks PS4 dev kit roadmap, kits prior to the latest had 2.2GB of video memory (GDDR5). With other resource reservations I guess it's possible games running on that kit had 1.5GB to play with.

A more recent kit was due in January that would move everything to unified GDDR5, but maybe some devs didn't have that kit yet, or have it in time to much affect demos planned for Feb.

Sorral

This post:
A lot off topic... but I think it's fun...

Go to PlayStation Press Center (Username: SCEA / Pass: SC3APR) -> EVENTS -> PLAYSTATION MEETING 2013 -> LOGO -> Download PDF...
Then... read the first word in the header of that PDF. ;)

It is a 1.1GB download for the video. Go through events > PS meeting > Software > killzone.

If you want a slighty compressed, same framerate, but a very small download(71MB), here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_grZhjYKkLUR0RkblVwRTJqYlE/edit?usp=sharing

Hit the downward arrow in the upper left corner, download and then hit download anyway. The player you will see at first won't run the video, so you have to download.

I think Stahl really wanted to nuke all of Earth, so he equipped all his drones/ships even that small starfighter with nukes because Earth doesn't have Putrisites on it, so he would need a lot of nukes to make it worthwhile.

I just rewatched it and man, Rico is so stupid I don't know where to begin. I forgot that they were RIGHT ON the source of the Putrisites which triggered the chain reactions. It didn't even look like they needed to nuke Stahl's ship since he was 'pulling up'.

Warning: Killzone 3 Ending Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-JUuI83KI
Ah ok, never thought of it like that. Sort of makes sense.

Perkel

Banned

Alienous

Killzone 3 Spoilers

I'm getting the feeling that the plot will be similar to Black Ops 2. You, as Kellen, will probably interview Sev or Rico (heck, Sev might reveal that he killed Rico, or vice-versa, or not) about Helghan's nuking. In that time you'd expect the two to have been executed for their warcrimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom