• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics look great, even if there are still a few noticable slowdowns, ugh. What I really don't like is the fact that as soon as the shooting begins, it looks like every other last- and current gen shooter again. Still waiting for devs to actually put processing power into KI, realistic animations and movement.

Maybe it's just me though :)

Looks like Grumpy Cat.

Look meow, that right there ain't no grumpy cat. It's Garfield :p

1076640_15342672_lz.jpg

Graphics look great, even if there are still a few noticable slowdowns, ugh. What I really don't like is the fact that as soon as the shooting begins, it looks like every other last- and current gen shooter again. Still waiting for devs to actually put processing power into KI, realistic animations and movement.

Maybe it's just me though :)

The one thing I love about KZ that I hope they don't sacrifice for Shadow War is the barrage of pain they AI heaps upon you. Especially in KZ2 it feels like you can only advance 3 feet at a time. I love that!

Okay, I'm uploading my PNG screencaps to my Google Drive. Not sure where else to host them as I'm currently not a website owner (changing soon).

They look beautiful in 1080p, but people are right to distinguish that anti-aliasing is still something that hasn't been properly addressed. It's entirely possible that the demo and engine have not made it to those stages yet.

thuway

The last year is normally for bugs and tweaking. If the game is launching this year they aren't going to revamp the entire graphics engine. There won't be some night and day difference. Too late.

If you honestly think this game will not look a significant amount better since the RAM upgrade and the final devkits will ship, than you are in for a world of a shock.

Okay, I'm uploading my PNG screencaps to my Google Drive. Not sure where else to host them as I'm currently not a website owner (changing soon).

They look beautiful in 1080p, but people are right to distinguish that anti-aliasing is still something that hasn't been properly addressed. It's entirely possible that the demo and engine have not made it to those stages yet.
Sure. There is still a lot of optimising ahead.

If you honestly think this game will not look a significant amount better since the RAM upgrade and the final devkits will ship, than you are in for a world of a shock.
Also, the last year is not dedicated to just bug fixes and tweaks. At least, not from my experience. Perhaps on an MMO / Skyrim-sized game, sure, but even up until 3 months before the goal of going Gold (man, that's going to be an old term when everything is DD, lol) they are still outputting new assets to replace old ones, making changes to level design, battle design, etc. Really depends on scale of the game and how easy the programmers made it for them to make the changes.

Of course they could get 60. Every game on the PS3 could have run at 60 if the developers had chosen to do that. Most don't and aim for 30 with more bells and whistles.

So your saying that KZ3 people have already maxed out the power of the console? We simply can't get better graphics than this? I highly doubt it. They should have spent more time on optimization instead of rushing the game for launch. 30FPS is unacceptable this gen.

So your saying that KZ3 people have already maxed out the power of the console? We simply can't get better graphics than this? I highly doubt it. They should have spent more time on optimization instead of rushing the game for launch. 30FPS is unacceptable this gen.

Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 have squeezed a LOT out of the PS3 that shouldn't be possible. They are using a lot of tricks, optimizations, and techniques developed over 5+ years of development on the hardware. I honestly don't think we'll be seeing anything much better in the next few years. New art styles? Of course, but you can't just make things run better and faster forever on the same ancient technology.

Anyway, here ya go - Killzone Shadow Fall trailer screencaps (from press site version).

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B0AH7KfJWxgBRTM4U05CbnNqbTg/edit?usp=sharing

It's a launch game, what do you expect? It usually takes years for devs to fully squeeze out the most from a console.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

This is still one of the major misconceptions about gaming and FPS. It's not about optimizations or anything like that. GG willingly accepted the 30 FPS mark in order to bring more bells and whistles. What he was saying before you is that if other developers had wanted to they could make their games 60 FPS, however they decided to improve other things and add more fireworks rather than have the smoother framerate.

A.R.K

Just started KZ2 on Elite...oh man this game is still so awesome. The explosions, the atmosphere, the gun play...nothing compares to its unique experience. And it still looks better than most current gen titles out there considering how old it is but of course not even close to KZ:SF

Chamber

love on your sleeve

That's not how it works, playboy. PS4 could be 10x more powerful than it already is and GG would still choose to go for 30 fps. It has nothing to do with the hardware and what's acceptable.

This is still one of the major misconceptions about gaming and FPS. It's not about optimizations or anything like that. GG willingly accepted the 30 FPS mark in order to bring more bells and whistles. What he was saying before you is that if other developers had wanted to they could make their games 60 FPS, however they decided to improve other things and add more fireworks rather than have the smoother framerate.

Looks like I'm not buying this game then. I hated KZ2 cause it was 30 FPS. Was almost unplayable to me as a gamer who plays shooters exclusively in 60 FPS. The game felt like I was controlling a small mech in slow motion. I was hoping companies would have smartened up after seeing runaway success of 60 FPS games, but I guess they still want to show off pretty lights over anything else.

The last year of development is almost exclusively used for full fledged efforts in production.

That is, the base game exists in some rough form, with many of the pieces designed and in place, but what happens this late in the game is that the artists come in and everything gets refined and polished.

Killzone still has like 8 months of this, they will make great use of it I'm sure.

The title already has had an extra year of dev time compared to Killzone 3, which is why I believe there will be more changes to the game than people expect (more open world, RPG elements, etc).

Jack_AG

Banned
Looks like I'm not buying this game then. I hated KZ2 cause it was 30 FPS. Was almost unplayable to me as a gamer who plays shooters exclusively in 60 FPS. The game felt like I was controlling a small mech in slow motion.

A lot less to do with the framerate. 16.5ms is the difference in responsiveness between 60/30fps. I don't think that turns any game into slow motion, personally. I'd rather have 60fps but I can deal with 30.

Stark

Banned
The last year of development is almost exclusively used for full fledged efforts in production.

That is, the base game exists in some rough form, with many of the pieces designed and in place, but what happens this late in the game is that the artists come in and everything gets refined and polished.

Killzone still has like 8 months of this, they will make great use of it I'm sure.

Yep. We all know how huge a jump in polish can be just from 5 months as pointed out by last generation. They can also make use of much more now easily while focusing on the game design.

i-Lo

Looks like I'm not buying this game then. I hated KZ2 cause it was 30 FPS. Was almost unplayable to me as a gamer who plays shooters exclusively in 60 FPS. The game felt like I was controlling a small mech in slow motion. I was hoping companies would have smartened up after seeing runaway success of 60 FPS games, but I guess they still want to show off pretty lights over anything else.

As a guy who has been an avid CoD4/KZ2/KZ3 player, I have to vehemently disagree with the hyperbole. And unless otherwise you can show me evidence that being 60fps adds significantly to sales figures, it's best to impede that line of argument (BF3/GTA/Halo/GeoW/Uncharted etc are 30fps games). I still remember Insomniac saying that the mass market does not respond to value of 60fps to the point that going 30fps would be detrimental to the sales. Adding in more detail at stable 30fps gives a game that much more visual oomph.

Does it mean that I, personally, do not see value in 60fps? No, I most definitely do and it's a must for certain types of games (and every game can benefit from it) but I would not hesitate to buy a good game with stable 30fps. Unless otherwise detrimental to the gameplay (via things like a substantial amount frame rate drops), most people consider frames/sec as just one of many factors when making their purchase.

So, long.

So COD is the only fps you play then.

Jack_AG

Banned

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Lol yeah Halo has REALLY struggled to make it in this market at 30 FPS.

that's because KZ2 had shitty controls.

Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 have squeezed a LOT out of the PS3 that shouldn't be possible. They are using a lot of tricks, optimizations, and techniques developed over 5+ years of development on the hardware. I honestly don't think we'll be seeing anything much better in the next few years. New art styles? Of course, but you can't just make things run better and faster forever on the same ancient technology.

Anyway, here ya go - Killzone Shadow Fall trailer screencaps (from press site version).

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B0AH7KfJWxgBRTM4U05CbnNqbTg/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks. They dont allow much traffic so I wont quote them.

DBT85

Didnt Cerny say the new Dualshock had some fancy secret sauce to reduce controller lag?

He said that as well as going over the general design of the controller they improved the rumble, the triggers, the sticks as well as reducing the latency.

No sauce, just their second try at a BT DualShock controller.

Jack_AG

Banned
Nope just different...just playing it now and I just realized now how good KZ2 SP is compared to KZ3. I hope KZ4 is as close to KZ2.

Digital Foundry said:
we see that the lag in the fully patched Killzone 2 is 12 frames. Factor out the three frames of lag in the display itself and we're left with a 150ms "ping" between gamer and on-screen action.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article

Different? No. Tons of lag? Yes. What changed between 2/3 was the input lag dropping down to 116ms. Higher video output latency is not a purposeful gameplay decision EVER. No developer insists that higher latency makes for better gameplay.

Edit:
I am hoping this coming generation we see a lot less than 100ms being the lowest for 30fps games. Unsure what the restrictions were this gen that caused this but I'm hoping they are gone next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom