• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode IX, Chris Terrio co-writing, now due Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
eb5c40ea92b5b583d67faa509bf8cd37ec3f28c27ec76c88dce201a087a267e4.jpg

Sephzilla

Oh, and here come the people who think The Force Awakens is just a remake of A New Hope. Because I totally remember A New Hope ending with Luke winning a lightsaber duel with Vader.

Anyways, the only part that gives me pause is that JJ is writing it as well. Episode 7 was written by Lawrence Kasdan

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
People are going to call this a safe pick, but I think JJ is going to flex his creative muscles and hit this shit out of the park.

Boke1879

Bruh, I'm sorry to tell you that some people didn't think these new films were amazing or anything from the get go. It was alright but nothing surprising.

Nah it was actually really good. That's the concensus. GAF on the other hand feels different and that's ok.

But people need to stop acting like TFA isn't beloved by the fandom and sparked a whole lot of interest back into the brand.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
They did but reading GAF sometimes you'd think that the prequels were excellent and misunderstood films and that TFA was a dumpster fire.

Yea, fringe and fickle group of viewers here. May also give the impression that the movie is widely disliked given how much more vocal people who dislike VII can be.

Have to remember that everyone here majored in film with a minor in Kubrick, then you'll come to understand the viewpoints.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I guess David Lynch must have turned it down.

It's like pottery.
I never understood why they didn't get the same director for the entire trilogy. But as much as I'd like for JJ to come back I'd also prefer it if he was doing something original at this point.
Probably because of the timeline they originally envisioned was too much for one director, and this allowed work on the three movies to overlap as they pump them out.

AmuroChan

Not sure how I feel about this. I liked TFA but thought it was entirely too safe and similar to a New Hope, but I give it a pass as the first entry to a new trilogy. I don't want Ep IX to use the same generic formula. Hopefully Disney will give Abrams creative freedom to take some risks.

Vectorman

Banned
Honestly we should just blame Lucasfilm for doing this stupid movie cycle with them trying to spit out a Star Wars film every year. It's been obvious from the start that these film productions need more time to breathe but nope gotta be like Marvel.

Terrio concerns me but I think JJ not being forced to make a super safe movie after whatever Rian pulls off will probably yield a solid ending to the trilogy.

ryan299

Chris Terrio of Argo is cowriting it with him. Not a fan of this decision with the schedule he's going to need to hit. Won't be shocked when the film gets moved to December.

Well then, ok. Safe choice but good choice.

The original trilogy was made by 3 different directors while the prequel trilogy was made by 1. So maybe having the same director for all three isn't a huge deal?

I know, I know. But I like consistency and not everyone is George Lucas. If every movie in the trilogy was somewhat stand-alone I wouldn't mind but since they're all part of one large three-act storyline, I don't get why you wouldn't want the same writing & directing team, LotR style, instead of going from Abrams to Johnson to Trevorrow. Not that it matters much now.

Edit:
Oh, Terrio is in on this? Uh... Okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom