• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode IX, Chris Terrio co-writing, now due Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

I never understood why they didn't get the same director for the entire trilogy. But as much as I'd like JJ to come back I'd also prefer for him to be doing something original at this point.

The original trilogy was made by 3 different directors while the prequel trilogy was made by 1. So maybe having the same director for all three isn't a huge deal?

Ridley327

Abrams was an obvious choice to take over, so nothing terribly surprising there.

Now we get to see who blinks from the December 2019 release date first: this or the Wonder Woman sequel.

I mean, I like JJ but

Rian wat u doin
A lot of people are going to say this, but Rian seems like the kind of guy who'd rather play with in his own universe and do his own stories. Honestly, after SW: Ep. 8, he could do anything, hell he could even resurrect Shane Carruth's "A Topiary."

Not particularly exciting but a hell of a lot better than trevorrow or Edwards.

I wonder if he'll even take it tho. I don't think it's guaranteed for him to accept the offer. Unless they choose to move it to December

V1iPwVl.png

I mean he'll probably give us a competent, respectful followup to whatever Rian does.

I'm more worried about the writer they get for this (
though would be totally fine if they just threw more money at Kasdan
).

edit: Oh JJ's writing too. Well.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Not particularly exciting but a hell of a lot better than trevorrow or Edwards.

I wonder if he'll even take it tho. I don't think it's guaranteed for him to accept the offer. Unless they choose to move it to December
Already taken it and seems to be solo writing the script.

TheXbox

Don't blame Johnson one bit. Dedicating five/six years of your career to one franchise is a tall fucking order.

Same could be said of JJ, I suppose. At least we know he loved Rian's script. This is a big upgrade over Trevorrow, but I never thought he'd do another genre tenpole so soon. Hell, I thought he was a full-on producer these days.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm laughing pretty hard if you're someone who wanted Trevorrow out, celebrated when it was announced that he was and are now disappointed with Abrams helming IX. It's poetic.

WillyFive

This is good. Surprised at the negative reactions here, I understand wanting someone new (like Bard Bird), but TFA's directing was fantastic.

Fml. Why have you forsaken us, Kathleen.

JJ without Kasdan's guidance? Not sure if want

I feel like Kasdan's "less is more" guidance on the Force Awakens was one of the worst parts of it - outside the rubbish story and rubbish art and rubbish world building.

But I don't know how I feel about Abrams writing. On one hand, he's a Star Wars fan. On the other, going by Force Awakens and Star Trek - he doesn't really care a lot about the nitty-gritty in-universe rules and just wants to make big shiny films that don't really have a lot of impact. But they look nice. (Apart from TFA which looked... bland).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I thought people liked Abrams and episode 7
They did but reading GAF sometimes you'd think that the prequels were excellent and misunderstood films and that TFA was a dumpster fire.

Bruh, I'm sorry to tell you that some people didn't think these new films were amazing or anything from the get go. It was alright but nothing surprising.
A critique on the idea of replacing Vader, a woman who's competent and also very down to earth and relatable as well as straight up inspirational for younger audiences, killing Han Solo, seeing very little of Luke, a completely different fight or flight representation of the force, these things weren't surprising?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm actually happy with this. i think he is a good director. just i hope that we don't get a jedi clone. of course it's not entirely up to him. if disney aren't happy with it them they'll change it i suppose.

Gurrry

This is great news. Episode 7 is one of my favorite movies of all time. He did a fantastic job bringing Star Wars back to its roots. I wanted him to direct 7, 8 and 9 after seeing what a great job he did.

I trust him. Thats the most important thing here. Its in good hands.

I wanted Rian, but... I'm fine with this. I really enjoyed Ep. 7, and there's some comfort in having someone who knows what this takes. JJ Abrams had all of the pressure in the world on his shoulders with 7, so I don't think he'll crumble under the pressure of 9.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait, has the internet turned on Force Awakens? lol

pestul

He did a fantastic job directing Episode 7.. that can't be denied. As long as he doesn't have a huge control over the story. Bah, I'm still happy he's doing it. I can see the Star Wars Blogs/Podcasts being a little iffy on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom