• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: PS5 is expected to catch up with PS4 in Q2; PC revenue $250 million in FY22

zedinen

According to Jim Ryan

pff4uk5.jpg

RdVLL4v.jpg

ETAGS2H.jpg

a3sESe1.jpg

Elios83

IQ370yM.jpg

That's not what I wanted to see.

Why? It's a huge growth for first party investements overall.
The 40% of the total investements in traditional games in FY25 will be equal or slightly bigger than the 88% investements in FY19.
They're planning a lot of growth while differentiating on more things.

Btw great results for PS5, about to catch up with the PS4 with an unprecedented pandemic disrupting production for a full year and an unprecedented price increase.

Last edited:

NickFire

The 40% of the total investements in traditional games in FY25 will be equal or slightly bigger than the 88% investements in FY19.

Btw great results for PS5, about to catch with the PS4 with an unprecedented pandemic disrupting production for a full year and an unprecedented price increase.
Yeah, but, those single player games are really fun. More is good.

ProtoByte

IQ370yM.jpg

Well, at least the "waaah story driven 3rd person game!" people will be satisfied right?

... No?

Seriously though, I lack the energy to care. They're increasing spending in single player games, but live services are soaking up the share. For now. Until the SP games are too few and far between or reduce in quality, the best thing to do is just ignore that side of their output.

I will always love Playstation but this major GaaS push is a huge turn off for me. If they keep this up and expect 60% of their first party output to be live service at 2025, then yeah, I'm not gonna rush for a PS6.
well, statistically speaking, some of those GaaS are going to be super flops.

GHG

IQ370yM.jpg

What irks me the most about this is the fact that they are clearly stating that's what they want to put more investment into from a first party perspective. So 60% of their resources will be going towards live service crap? Nah, not for me, they can forget seeing my money going forwards if that's where they're heading.

bender

What time is it?
What irks me the most about this is the fact that they are clearly stating that's what they want to put more investment into from a first party perspective. So 60% of their resources will be going towards live service crap? Nah, not for me, they can forget seeing my money going forwards if that's where they're heading.

To spin it optimistically, maybe that's the cost of spinning up these acquisitions, development studios, and projects to catch up with the traditional model? A bit of a game of catchup on their part.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does this comparison accommodate for the increased prices for PS5 versus PS4 in the given timeframes? Full game revenue is actually down (which makes sense given the increase cost) and the overall spend increase is actually due to subscriptions and accessories (which are also more expensive), as well as higher "addon" buy in - which I believe would be microtransactions and DLC? At a glance, this would appear to favour PS5 simply due to the price increases this generation?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

IQ370yM.jpg

keep in mind with ratios it doesn’t actually mean any decrease in investment in traditional games in actual dollars

its like if 88% of your income is from being a teacher and 12% is from making music on the weekends, and then overtime your income grows to where 60% comes from music and only 40% is from the day job. doesn’t mean you got a pay cut at your job, its just that the other category grew a lot. relatively and all that

Last edited:

Aenima

I will always love Playstation but this major GaaS push is a huge turn off for me. If they keep this up and expect 60% of their first party output to be live service at 2025, then yeah, I'm not gonna rush for a PS6.
Thats just the investment percentage. If you remove the live service part and just look at the grey bars that represent traditional gaming, you see they are also planing to invest more in traditional gaming in 2025 compared to 2023, and will be on par with what they invested in 2019.

Its just a big extra investment on live services, that most will probably crash and burn. Also dont like to see it, but is where the industry is heading cuz when 1 live service game gets popular, it prints money for many years with little effort just requiring updates to keep ppl spending.

Mr.Phoenix

Ouch... being an optimist, I am just going to take comfort in this being in percentages and that the reduction to 40% in traditional games investment equates to an increase in actual money spent in that sector. So Sony is just investing more in games all around.
Not sure, what does it indicate?
They mean the number of titles released per platform. So in 2025, 3 games are released on PS5, there will be 3 games released on PC too.

Last edited:

Neofire

Not a big fan of the "live service " push but other than that. They are killing it in sales. Hopefully Jimmy boy won't go full stupid and pour too much into making PC ports and neglect their own platforms.

Topher

Gold Member

Btw great results for PS5, about to catch up with the PS4 with an unprecedented pandemic disrupting production for a full year and an unprecedented price increase.

If the numbers bear that out in the future then maybe, but I still don't like it. Looks to me like Sony is switching gears and moving away from their core that made them what they are. Sorry, but I'm not going to pretend I like that because I just don't.

tmlDan

But if you read the chart right, they are also investing more than ever in traditional first party games (single player) But those games don't need constant maintenance, a huge staff, and regular content updates. It's really no big deal.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ouch... being an optimist, I am just going to take comfort in this being in percentages and assume that the reduction to 40% in traditional games investment equates to a 50% increase in actual money spent in that sector. So Sony is just investing more in games all around.

They mean the number of titles released per platform. So in 2025, 3 games are released on PS5, there will be 3 games released on PC too.
I get that, I was wondering if that poster was gonna enlighten us.

But...depending on when a game is made....it could be a rolling release slate. And with the big push into live service... Jim was talking about single player games taking 2-3 years to hit PC. I dont think he counts live service as single player, even if the game could be played as a single player always online game.

I play GTA Online 90% single player, only doing specific PvP game modes.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Wait what? Fy25 they pretend to be have more gaas then sp?

This is why I'm starting to lose interest in Playstation.

Disgusting chart.

I threw up.

This chart by itself provides zero context and I think is causing people to incorrectly interpret.

1. Investment allocation majority shift from SP to live service =/= decreased output in SP games, especially in the extremely likely scenario that Sony is growing the market size as opposed to cannibalization of one segment's resources by another. Meaning nominal investment dollars for both segments recognize net increase.

2. Sony is a newcomer to live service market so initial investment will be higher at present compared to single player operations which at this point is well established; SP infrastructure investments for Sony signature 1st party SP games took place during latter half of PS3 and peaked during PS4 I would say.

Elios83

IMG-7857.png

Am I reading this wrong or something. What does this chart indicate?

It's the percentage for each platform of the total number of releases.
It indicates that this year most of their releases will be PS5 only games and there will be a good number of new PC games as well.

Mr.Phoenix

A little reactionary don't you think?

Or maybe you don't get bar charts.

let me translate it to millions spent as an example.

2019 - 200M invested > 176M for traditional games
2023 - 380M invested > 171M for traditional games
2025 - 450M invested > 180M for traditional games

What they are investing in traditional games is not reducing, its percentage is reducing but overall investments made are increasing. But that's simply because compared to 2019, they didn't have studios like Bungie, they basically didn't have much of an in-house live service portfolio.

Elios83

If the numbers bear that out in the future then maybe, but I still don't like it. Looks to me like Sony is switching gears and moving away from their core that made them what they are. Sorry, but I'm not going to pretend I like that because I just don't.

They're not moving away if they're planning pretty much the same (if not higher) level of investements as before in those games.
They're planning a huge growth to be able to accomodate for something else.
Also I wouldn't be so harsh on live games and treat them automatically like trash even before they're announced.
Even a game like GT7 can be considered live service and for me it's one of the best driving games I've ever played.
Sure if you wanted to see 90% of the FY25 bar to be all single player games I understand the disappointment but that was unrealistic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom