• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan GQ Interview, More games coming to PC, Console Supply, VR and more

If Sony want more money they should've make online mode with microtransaction for their games just like Rockstar and others do. Picking the option to release their games on pc is simply prostitution and brain retard.
It's already been stated that it's an obvious win win solution for gamers as a whole, as well as Sony. If it wasn't a viable option, Jim wouldn't have came out and said this.

Why not give developers the ability to really let their games shine on hardware that outperforms ps5? This way the devs don't have to limit the final look of the game for the PC platform. Console players still get to play the game. No one gets hurt except the brain dead fanboys.

Interesting fact: Ryan doesn't include the new God of War among the games coming to PS5 in 2021 as he neither did with GT7.
What I thought was more interesting was that the interviewer never asked about it.

For the PC thing, it makes me less worried about finding a PS5 now.

It's already been stated that it's an obvious win win solution for gamers as a whole, as well as Sony. If it wasn't a viable option, Jim wouldn't have came out and said this.
1 - people do make mistakes, even CEOs do... And I think that the part of the strategy that he left out is the two years delay for the ports to PC to drop out. However that could change anytime.

2 - I have no doubt that the sales were good, but in the long run, how does that affect consoles sales? I know I'm less enclined to get a PS5 (if it wasn't for my existing PS4 library I would probably not even bother. Imagine people who aren't already in the PlayStation ecosystem.

Obviously I care only because I have been a fan of Sony's games in particular and I suspect that if they were to become a regular publisher they would make the same kind of monetization moves. Which means that while I gain the ability to play their games on my PC, saving me the purchase of the console, it could mean the end of an era in gaming.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Why not give developers the ability to really let their games shine on hardware that outperforms ps5? This way the devs don't have to limit the final look of the game for the PC platform. Console players still get to play the game. No one gets hurt except the brain dead fanboys.

Not much value added to the Playstation brand by selling a million extra on PC. Also you're completely wrong about being what's best for gamers, what's best for gamers is these companies trying their best to get your money, instead of them finding a way to get more money with less effort.

If you have money for a top of a line PC and don't bother shelling 300 or 400 on a console, then your PC was most likely very expensive to your wallet and now you're out of budget. Tough shit.

The strategy seems pretty clear, release PC versions a year or more after. Maybe if there's a multiplayer game out there that Sony believes they need the PC market to bolster numbers, maybe that's day 1. What a win for gamers..... Except it isn't, because the only thing happening here is Sony going after extra revenue in a secondary market, less work, instead of doubling down on producing content and fighting hard for their customers money, more work.

1 - people do make mistakes, even CEOs do... And I think that the part of the strategy that he left out is the two years delay for the ports to PC to drop out. However that could change anytime.

2 - I have no doubt that the sales were good, but in the long run, how does that affect consoles sales? I know I'm less enclined to get a PS5 (if it wasn't for my existing PS4 library I would probably not even bother. Imagine people who aren't already in the PlayStation ecosystem.

Obviously I care only because I have been a fan of Sony's games in particular and I suspect that if they were to become a regular publisher they would make the same kind of monetization moves. Which means that while I gain the ability to play their games on my PC, saving me the purchase of the console, it could mean the end of an era in gaming.
I'm not sure why people keep pushing this 2 year delay. Can you or anyone provide an official source? Or is this a wishful thinking kinda thing?

Not much value added to the Playstation brand by selling a million extra on PC. Also you're completely wrong about being what's best for gamers, what's best for gamers is these companies trying their best to get your money, instead of them finding a way to get more money with less effort.

If you have money for a top of a line PC and don't bother shelling 300 or 400 on a console, then your PC was most likely very expensive to your wallet and now you're out of budget. Tough shit.

The strategy seems pretty clear, release PC versions a year or more after. Maybe if there's a multiplayer game out there that Sony believes they need the PC market to bolster numbers, maybe that's day 1. What a win for gamers..... Except it isn't, because the only thing happening here is Sony going after extra revenue in a secondary market, less work, instead of doubling down on producing content and fighting hard for their customers money, more work.
There's plenty of value added by releasing games on PC. Majority of them had no intention to buy a ps5, and the few that do, are waiting for the slim or a major price reduction, or even waiting for ps6 to release, to get a ps5 then.

By not buying consoles and their pro/x models or their games and subscriptions, I must have saved a ton of money, and have more funds than the comparable console owner who is now out of budget.

It's definitely a win win for everyone. PC Gamers can now have access to even more games and devs can showcase how they really wanted their game to look like. For console owners, you don't lose anything. You still get your games, and possibly only have to deal with more NXGamer and DF comparisons between ps5 and PC (which already exist).

Consoles are sold at a loss. Their games engines already support PC. So devs can just crank the settings up for the PC version, and release it. Which gives them more funding for future games, and they didn't lose money from console sales.

Thirty7ven

Banned
By not buying consoles and their pro/x models or their games and subscriptions, I must have saved a ton of money, and have more funds than the comparable console owner who is now out of budget.

Absolute bollocks. The only way you actually save money with a PC is if you pirate. And if you pirate then you are scum and in the end worthless for the industry.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Absolute bollocks. The only way you actually save money with a PC is if you pirate. And if you pirate then you are scum and in the end worthless for the industry.
This whole saving money thing really depends more on the player habits than the platform (as well as your region).

-PC has a high entry value, but a good part of that cost can be ignored if you already needed a PC for other things in the first place.
-Naturally you don't have to pay for online (and you still get free game deals anyway), so if you like playing online and you're into freebies, you're saving on subscription fees. Plus there are great sales pretty often in many different marketplaces, allowing you to hunt for better prices.
-If you live outside the US you can get much better prices on PC than on consoles, i remember for example Divinity OS2 on ps4 was thrice the price of it on Steam here in Brazil.

If you're somewhat under the previous conditions, its likely you're gonna save a lot with PC gaming.

On the other hand, if you're the type that always only play AAA games on release at the full $60 $70 price, only plays singleplayer games and doesn't need a PC for anything besides gaming, yeah, you're not really saving anything, perhaps spending even more.

That's the only way? You sure about that? You wanna expound anymore on that tremendous fallacy? Anyone with common sense can see right through that lie. A buddy of mine upgraded from his 7th gen i7, to a ryzen 8 core 16 thread cpu. In total, he spent less than 450 to upgrade his pc with a cpu and motherboard. His processor and GPU are miles above ps5, and it was less money to upgrade than purchasing a brand new ps5. No online fees, free and cheaper games, better performance.

I'm sure you'll try and bring up the old ass argument about starting a build from fresh, etc. But let's just say we have a mutual friend who bought a ps4/ps4 pro, and now the ps5. He spent tremendously more money than my buddy with a 2080ti and 3700x. So in essence, his beefy PC was much cheaper, on the contrary to what you imagine.

Last edited:

Keihart

I'm not sure why people keep pushing this 2 year delay. Can you or anyone provide an official source? Or is this a wishful thinking kinda thing?

There's plenty of value added by releasing games on PC. Majority of them had no intention to buy a ps5, and the few that do, are waiting for the slim or a major price reduction, or even waiting for ps6 to release, to get a ps5 then.

It's definitely a win win for everyone. PC Gamers can now have access to even more games and devs can showcase how they really wanted their game to look like. For console owners, you don't lose anything. You still get your games, and possibly only have to deal with more NXGamer and DF comparisons between ps5 and PC (which already exist).

Consoles are sold at a loss. Their games engines already support PC. So devs can just crank the settings up for the PC version, and release it. Which gives them more funding for future games, and they didn't lose money from console sales.
Oh yes, all those beautiful PC games. The only thing you are cranking is image quality and framerate, very little shits given about that.

futurama78

Banned
PS5 on PC is good in a way, but it shouldn’t happen. I don’t mind Xbox doing it, cause of their PC ties and to help the PC AAA space, but it hurts the console too. The PC AAA space matters more tho. So in the end it should like I don’t know. As a PC enthusiast you want the graphics upgrade. But it’s a problem for Sony protection of console genre than MS. Sony can help protect MS’s console space. But like I guess Sony needs to give a few AAA to PC.

Matters more to drive console graphics. Or maybe it doesn’t

Last edited:
Oh yes, all those beautiful PC games. The only thing you are cranking is image quality and framerate, very little shits given about that.
Quality, resolution, framerate, missing effects from console versions, etc. These make up a big difference, whether you like to believe it or not, it's a fact. Some people are more sensitive to these things than others. Just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean many others can't. And it's the exact reason I left Xbox 360 back in the day, and have been primarily on PC since. Some are perfectly fine mcdonald's, some need better quality food.

Keihart

Quality, resolution, framerate, missing effects from console versions, etc. These make up a big difference, whether you like to believe it or not, it's a fact. Some people are more sensitive to these things than others. Just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean many others can't. And it's the exact reason I left Xbox 360 back in the day, and have been primarily on PC since. Some are perfectly fine mcdonald's, some need better quality food.
OH yes, that's why PC games looks so beautiful. It's only dick measuring, PC games mostly target some specs that are comparable to console and the you crank then shit up with your gamer PC, it doesn't look all that better. It's just a sad as when people compare xbox and PS games touting that one hast a couple of more frames per second or that one has more resolution. The game it's the same and mostly looks and plays the same unless it's some abomination like cyberpunk that not even cranked up to eleven manages to look decent in motion.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Depends on the dev. Often for the PC version they also add stuff like higher amount of details/objects/npcs, higher res textures, higher draw distances, or some additional effects like vegetation swaying, hairworks, better water physics, more ray tracing effects options, etc. Though its true there are others that don't really implement anything more (usually AA JP devs)

Last edited:
OH yes, that's why PC games looks so beautiful. It's only dick measuring, PC games mostly target some specs that are comparable to console and the you crank then shit up with your gamer PC, it doesn't look all that better. It's just a sad as when people compare xbox and PS games touting that one hast a couple of more frames per second or that one has more resolution. The game it's the same and mostly looks and plays the same unless it's some abomination like cyberpunk that not even cranked up to eleven manages to look decent in motion.
But that's because consoles are the lowest common denominator in regards to PC. They are the baseline of graphics and performance. Until they catch up to PC, games will forever to continue to not have as big of a difference outside of resolution, framerate, missing effects, etc. For instance, if consoles went with Nvidia, you'd have dlss and better raytracing, and could push the graphical boundary even further. But the reality is that AMD is far behind in graphics technology, aside from having compatible rasterization. Once you enable raytracing or want a similar feature to DLSS, you realize consoles can't compete with lower end gpu's. You can see it from last gen, and even more with console comparisons to PC.

And Sony can now display what their devs envisioned the game to look like, without ps5 hardware constraints, as they will head to PC.

Last edited:

Keihart

But that's because consoles are the lowest common denominator in regards to PC. They are the baseline of graphics and performance. Until they catch up to PC, games will forever to continue to not have as big of a difference outside of resolution, framerate, missing effects, etc. For instance, if consoles went with Nvidia, you'd have dlss and better raytracing, and could push the graphical boundary even further. But the reality is that AMD is far behind in graphics technology, aside from having compatible rasterization. Once you enable raytracing or want a similar feature to DLSS, you realize consoles can't compete with lower end gpu's. You can see it from last gen, and even more with console comparisons to PC.

And Sony can now display what their devs envisioned the game to look like, without ps5 hardware constraints, as they will head to PC.
The game will always have to be designed with the constraints of the target hardware, be it minimum specs or the consoles themselves.

The game will always have to be designed with the constraints of the target hardware, be it minimum specs or the consoles themselves.
And with console specs being the minimum, even if you can only have higher resolution, better textures, better filtering, image quality, etc. Having better framerates alone, without any visual improvements, are a Godsend. Then you have your icing on top, and you can eat it too. Again, some may not notice the improvements, whether it be they are getting up in old age, have poor eyesight, or just can't differentiate between the obvious. It's all preference at the end of the day. Some are completely fine with lower settings, which is perfectly fine. But there are some of us who want the best, and can easily tell the difference, whether it be in a picture or video comparison.

Keihart

And with console specs being the minimum, even if you can only have higher resolution, better textures, better filtering, image quality, etc. Having better framerates alone, without any visual improvements, are a Godsend. Then you have your icing on top, and you can eat it too. Again, some may not notice the improvements, whether it be they are getting up in old age, have poor eyesight, or just can't differentiate between the obvious. It's all preference at the end of the day. Some are completely fine with lower settings, which is perfectly fine. But there are some of us who want the best, and can easily tell the difference, whether it be in a picture or video comparison.
Sure, preferences are preferences, i only contested your claim of games finally being able to be what the dev intended but that is no the reality since the dev has to design it with a target platform and in closed ecosystems those compromises are considered final and thus the game is tailored to the system.

Sure, preferences are preferences, i only contested your claim of games finally being able to be what the dev intended but that is no the reality since the dev has to design it with a target platform and in closed ecosystems those compromises are considered final and thus the game is tailored to the system.
Look at cyberpunk for instance. Why would Sony not be as ambitious as CDPR? Supposedly to console warriors, Sony are the king of visuals, so why would they not have a better looking version of the games, compared to ps5? Death stranding and HZD look much better and play better on PC. Yeah it's the same game, but big difference in visuals, especially framerate.

Last edited:

Keihart

Look at cyberpunk for instance. Why would Sony not be as ambitious as CDPR? Supposedly to console warriors, Sony are the king of visuals, so why would they not have a better looking version of the games, compared to ps5? Death stranding and HZD look much better and play better on PC. Yeah it's the same game, but big difference in visuals, especially framerate.
No to shit on CDPR that much, but cyberpunk looks ass even maxed out on my PC...it's janky as fuck. I mean, if you care about image quality or fancy features more than the overall result of how the game looks, i get you, CP2077 it's amazing...but if you are looking for a consistent level of quality in the presentation, then CP2077 it's a horrible example.
DS looks alright on PC, but it's mostly better image quality which is already "good enough" for gameplay and artwork sakes in PS4, again, i get that maybe you are one of those that like to play old games on emulators with every filter on and upscaling, but for me, i play my old games as close to the source as possible. Same for new games, I'm ok with the game running as designed and expressing it's visual and gameplay design appropriately , CP2077 it's not running as designed on consoles at all and at it's best, in PC, it doesn't even look that impressive unless you start dick measuring how many RT effects you have on.

What you call "big difference" i call dick measuring, frame rate and IQ unless they are a problem on the original game to achieve it's goal, are not BIG differences. It's like Nintendo selling Zelda Skyward Sword upresed on switch and charging 60 bucks and calling it optimized for switch. And don't get me wrong, there are games that i consider suffer from IQ and frame rate problems, Bayonetta on PS3 for example looked like ass and affected gameplay and the expression of the artwork. Bloodborne it's another example, although there the only problem in my eyes it's frame rate, yet those problems are super small in the whole picture, they are still amazing looking games and fun games on the original hardware.

ACESHIGH

Banned

Thats mainly a North American/Western Europe take. For the rest of the world total cost of ownership of a gaming pc is lower than a console when factoring games on the long run. Sony has no regional pricing on PSN for example. Those new games at 80 USD a pop end adding up, plus paying for the privilege to use your own internet connection.

DeaDPo0L84

These types of arguments always expose someone who has absolutely no first hand experience of playing a game that's on consoles and then playing it as well on PC.

If I were to ever do a "experience PC gaming" type event I'd let people play Destiny 2 on a PS5/XSX, then sit down and play it maxed out on a 38" ultrawide @ 120fps.

I can guarantee you every single person would instantly feel and see the difference.

These types of arguments always expose someone who has absolutely no first hand experience of playing a game that's on consoles and then playing it as well on PC.

If I were to ever do a "experience PC gaming" type event I'd let people play Destiny 2 on a PS5/XSX, then sit down and play it maxed out on a 38" ultrawide @ 120fps.

I can guarantee you every single person would instantly feel and see the difference.
You could even so a blind comparison on same controller and display, and it would still be obvious. It's easy to spot the uninformed.

There's a difference from being able to tell a difference, and caring about that difference.

In truth, for many people, it won't meaningfully impact their enjoyment of a game.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Love that these games are finally coming to PC. All the great games I played on PS4 had some technical issues that always irked the shit out of me no matter how great the games(Looking at you Day's Gone and Ghosts of Tsushima, TLOU2) that I couldn't help but just be annoyed that I couldn't play them on PC. Glad to see Sony finally taking their head out of their asses.

Last edited:

Keihart

Talk out of your ass, i have a beefy PC with a RTX3070, i game on PC too. Ultrawide 120 fps, lmao. That's dick meausuring, everything can be done in most games at lower refresh rate and resolution.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is lip service by SONY, PC gamers want their cake and ice cream too, if there’s a reason why PS5 sales are low in the future this will be to blame.

DeaDPo0L84

Talk out of your ass, i have a beefy PC with a RTX3070, i game on PC too. Ultrawide 120 fps, lmao. That's dick meausuring, everything can be done in most games at lower refresh rate and resolution.

You post like a unhinged child, I have no problem having a back and forth with you but come down a few notches on the hostility scale.

DeaDPo0L84

There's a difference from being able to tell a difference, and caring about that difference.

In truth, for many people, it won't meaningfully impact their enjoyment of a game.

I actually agree with you, for me when I first switched over just a little over a year ago there was no looking back. Someone could've experience the exact same thing as me and had a completely different reaction and that's totally fine.

I'd never argue that the only way to enjoy a game is if its played on a high end pc, for ME personally that has become the case but that is not true for everyone.

It's just really annoying when people make really uneducated post using tired arguments that only prove they don't know what they're talking about.

DeaDPo0L84

Not to mention the costs it takes to enjoy those settings on a pc and have a 120hz ultra wide 4k monitor.

It's not cheap and that heavily plays into the "enjoyment" factor for a lot of people. Some are much more able to enjoy a game on a more cost effective console regardless of the experience if they can feel better about the investment they put in.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know why people are surprised after Horizon
They seem selective on games they're porting too, seems like 2+ year old games that maybe reaching it sales run end.
No flagship titles either so far 🤔
Maybe there's a Day's Gone sequel in the works.
They openly admitted that was the strategy behind Horizon.
Schmick said:
Yep no reason for me to get a PS5 now. PS4 games and eventually PS5 games coming to PC means there's just no need
The reason to get a current gen console is to play the latest current gen games, especially ones that are exclusive to it.
By time you do get to play them and they obviously gonna be a select few.
they'll be end of life last gen titles, like Horizon & Days Gone.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Now its a choice of picking between high resolution or high framerate modes on console. I don't want to choose. I want both.

Last edited:
Now its a choice of picking between high resolution or high framerate modes on console. I don't want to choose, I want both.

Exactly. I'm not picking either, cause I'm selecting both high res and framerates. I get it that some prefer console, which is perfectly fine. It's just annoying when some present some bullshit, as a fact, and others go along with it. Those who have plenty of experience with both platforms, can easily spot those who know and those who have no clue.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

You have it the wrong way around I'm afraid.

Consoles are the standard. The point at which most titles are targeted.

With PC you get additional benefits due to them -in best case circumstances at least- having a massive surplus in terms of resources. Hence everything can be turned up way past what the makers actual vision and expectation was.

Which is why in some cases it exposes issues that were previously unknown. Noone engineers a family car with the expectation that its going to end up with a rocket strapped to it! And the same was traditionally true with software engineering. You build to your target spec, and try and make that the best it can be within those limitations.

Its what's always bugged the shit out of me when PC fans trumpet having the "definitive version" of things, when its nothing of the sort. Devs typically don't build to target the capabilities of GPU's that are either not yet on the market at the time of planning, or so expensive and therefore scarce that very few users will have that experience.

The bottom line is games are entertainments, that's the hallmark of their quality not what resolution they run at or what framerate. That's a tech demo not a game! And frankly a bit of a piss-poor demo at that because its not really demonstrating skill and creativity to create the impossible, its just leaning on massively uprated hardware to brute-force the result.

If you want to decide that you can only enjoy a thing when certain criteria are met like minimum frame-rate or res, or whatever. That's fine. For you. Just don't pretend there's any sort of deeper value to it than satisfying your own personal taste.

Why do you sound so combative about it? Seriously, this is an observation of what little data we have on it, people are trying to figure out what's going on.

Wishful thinking is thinking that Sony will do full releases day and date for all their games (it's certainly a possibility, but I don't expect this).... and as I said, my only gaming platform right now is a PC, I sold my PRO in the hope of finding a PS5 at retail soon enough--it has not happened.

With PC you get additional benefits due to them -in best case circumstances at least- having a massive surplus in terms of resources. Hence everything can be turned up way past what the makers actual vision and expectation was.

Which is why in some cases it exposes issues that were previously unknown. Noone engineers a family car with the expectation that its going to end up with a rocket strapped to it! And the same was traditionally true with software engineering. You build to your target spec, and try and make that the best it can be within those limitations.

Its what's always bugged the shit out of me when PC fans trumpet having the "definitive version" of things, when its nothing of the sort. Devs typically don't build to target the capabilities of GPU's that are either not yet on the market at the time of planning, or so expensive and therefore scarce that very few users will have that experience.

The bottom line is games are entertainments, that's the hallmark of their quality not what resolution they run at or what framerate. That's a tech demo not a game! And frankly a bit of a piss-poor demo at that because its not really demonstrating skill and creativity to create the impossible, its just leaning on massively uprated hardware to brute-force the result.

If you want to decide that you can only enjoy a thing when certain criteria are met like minimum frame-rate or res, or whatever. That's fine. For you. Just don't pretend there's any sort of deeper value to it than satisfying your own personal taste.
There are plenty of examples of PC being the definite version. CDPR, Rockstar, any games that support raytracing or the full assortment of graphical features that consoles do not poses. It's a preference thing no matter which way you spin it. Some of us want more, and there's only one option for that.

I can't stand stock audio in a vehicle. That shit bugs the hell out of me. I replace everything, from dynomating everything from the doors, the floors, trunk, etc. Replace stock alt, put several drivers per door, amps, subs, etc. Music sounds and feels so much better with aftermarket products. The same way games can look much better with more capable hardware. This isn't to shit on consoles in anyway, shape, or form. But it's a disservice to say that it's dumb for Sony to put their library on PC. That's where their devs can really show their strength that many warriors claim aren't possible on PC. Yet they are, and many more to come.

Why do you sound so combative about it? Seriously, this is an observation of what little data we have on it, people are trying to figure out what's going on.

Wishful thinking is thinking that Sony will do full releases day and date for all their games (it's certainly a possibility, but I don't expect this).... and as I said, my only gaming platform right now is a PC, I sold my PRO in the hope of finding a PS5 at retail soon enough--it has not happened.
Combative? How so, I'm simply asking the same question again, and no one can answer it. It's just a weird number for several people to constantly quote, but no source to back it up. I'm not saying same day and date either, but it's most definitely a possibility, especially how the industry is shifting.

Microsoft is making money from not only hardware (Xbox) but software as well (on PC). They understood there is money to be made on PC, for those of us who don't care to own a console. And it's paying off. Sony is a bit late to the party, but they are more then welcome to put their games on PC. No reason why anyone would be mad. No shareholders, Sony employees, customers, etc should be upset with any of the news, as it benefits Sony and it's customers. No other way to spin this.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Sorry, I got to disagree strongly here. The graphics engines in these games are absolutely tailored to be scalable for future hardware not yet made. No one wants to redesign an entire graphics engine every 7yrs just to keep pace with "current" hardware spec. If you look into the UE source code, you'll find algorithms for specific ray-tracing in all areas of rendering not even utilized in games yet. There are filtering schemes, bezier curve approximations, 3D textures (which hardly EVER get used), etc.. etc.. the main reason the PS exclusives coming to PC is taking so long is because they have to refactor their graphics engines to support hardware that's NOT tied to the PS codebase. This is a first for ND, Sony Santa Monica, and other studios that have created rendering engines catered to the PS hardware.

Some examples of games that were designed for hardware not yet produced, you have the main one for this new generation - Flight Simulator 2020. Completely dwarfs any technology put out today and can barely run at a reasonable clip @ true 4k on a RTX 3090. All the tech in that simulator is written completely for very high bandwidth hardware. Cyberpunk was also designed for hardware that wasn't even available yet. They had to put in those RT features knowing that they had to incorporate DLSS in order to make any of that rendering run at a reasonable clip. They started their graphics engine way before Ampere was released and now they are having to backtrack and scale down the code for the consoles including PS5/XSX. We also have the tried and true Crysis game. Which was clearly way ahead of hardware of it's time.

However, you are right in that games do have a target spec. However, the graphics engines do not. They are now agnostic and papers that show interesting techniques are always implemented somewhere in the graphics engine even if "we" may not be privy to it.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

This makes absolutely zero sense, this is the sort of mental gymnastics one has to do when they really want to propose an argument against something when one isn't available. So when CDPR released the Witcher 3 on consoles with a max 30fps, shortened draw distance, lower resolution, lengthy load times, no mod support, THAT was their intended vision? Not the version on PC with 60+ fps which provided a much better gaming experience, much bigger draw distance which for an open world game is pretty huge, near instant load times, and plenty of mods still released till this day that are now even being implemented into the upcoming version due to release later this year on....gasp...consoles, hmmm.

When Bungie released Destiny 2 on console was their original vision max 30fps, narrow fov, long ass load times, or maybe the version on PC with 120+fps, max fov (which AGAIN has now been adopted on console, SHOCKED!!!), and again much shorter load times (ALSO adopted on consoles).

I wonder if DICE when they released their Battlefield games on PC with max player counts with no limitations were then super happy to start releasing on console where they had to start making sacrifices to get it running properly and yet it still took years to get it right (could argue they still haven't quite figured it out)

I bet Bethesda every time they release a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game gets super happy when they can finally stop developing the much superior PC version to go and force the console version to work by stripping it down so much just so it can run properly, but hey that is their true vision so whatever it takes!

I can go on and on and on, but your argument holds no water, you act as if developers just throw their game on a PC with no optimization in mind and say fuck it but on console they are just all excited due to the extreme limitations they have to work under.

Once again, PEOPLE SHOULD PLAY WHEREVER THEY FEEL THEY GET THE MOST ENJOYMENT, PERIOD!!!!

But please can we stop making up falsehoods so people can feel good about their purchases while trying to talk down another platform.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I can go on and on and on, but your argument holds no water, you act as if developers just throw their game on a PC with no optimization in mind and say fuck it but on console they are just all excited due to the extreme limitations they have to work under.

Once again, PEOPLE SHOULD PLAY WHEREVER THEY FEEL THEY GET THE MOST ENJOYMENT, PERIOD!!!!

But please can we stop making up falsehoods so people can feel good about their purchases while trying to talk down another platform.
Absolutely this. It makes 0 sense and is far from the truth.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry, I got to disagree strongly here. The graphics engines in these games are absolutely tailored to be scalable for future hardware not yet made. No one wants to redesign an entire graphics engine every 7yrs just to keep pace with "current" hardware spec. If you look into the UE source code, you'll find algorithms for specific ray-tracing in all areas of rendering not even utilized in games yet. There are filtering schemes, bezier curve approximations, 3D textures (which hardly EVER get used), etc.. etc.. the main reason the PS exclusives coming to PC is taking so long is because they have to refactor their graphics engines to support hardware that's NOT tied to the PS codebase. This is a first for ND, Sony Santa Monica, and other studios that have created rendering engines catered to the PS hardware.

Some examples of games that were designed for hardware not yet produced, you have the main one for this new generation - Flight Simulator 2020. Completely dwarfs any technology put out today and can barely run at a reasonable clip @ true 4k on a RTX 3090. All the tech in that simulator is written completely for very high bandwidth hardware. Cyberpunk was also designed for hardware that wasn't even available yet. They had to put in those RT features knowing that they had to incorporate DLSS in order to make any of that rendering run at a reasonable clip. They started their graphics engine way before Ampere was released and now they are having to backtrack and scale down the code for the consoles including PS5/XSX. We also have the tried and true Crysis game. Which was clearly way ahead of hardware of it's time.

However, you are right in that games do have a target spec. However, the graphics engines do not. They are now agnostic and papers that show interesting techniques are always implemented somewhere in the graphics engine even if "we" may not be privy to it.

We've been over this before. With respect, you aren't a game developer.

Game-dev is about a whole lot more than graphics engines, its about creating experiences. That experience is the target, how well it runs either stands as an impediment to delivering that experience, or a nice benefit for those with the capability to run at elevated settings.

Note I said MOST games are developed that way, not all. Exceptions do prove the rule.

The reality is that if maximized visuals are what you like, that's great. More power to you. However most people just want to be entertained and engaged.
You cannot quantify that subjective experience, and its value to them, and measure it against absolute metrics like frame-rate and resolution.

I think you'll find if you ask most players whether their most cherished gaming experiences also had the best performance and visual quality they've ever encountered you'll see there's a disconnect. I mean honestly, how often do we get "modern games are rubbish" comments thrown about on these forums, when its undeniable that games have never looked better?

yurinka

VR dev kits just went out?

So does that mean we're likely a year, two years, or three years away from release?
A few weeks/months ago he said there will be PS5VR games but not in the next couple of years. So expect it for 2023 or so.
Interesting fact: Ryan doesn't include the new God of War among the games coming to PS5 in 2021 as he neither did with GT7.
He also didn't mention a ton of many other PS5 exclusives (independently if they are console or full exclusives, crossgen or not) announced for 2021. Maybe he just wanted to mention a few of them and did choose the three 1st party games that are closed to be released, so are the ones with bigger priority to market.

Wow really?!?!? What’s the point in getting a PS5 if you’re a PC gamer then? That’s a lions share of the library.
-To play them on launch day instead of having to wait 2, 3 or more years for the port.
-To have access to all the Sony exclusives instead of to a few ones.
-To don't worry about bad ports, driver or compatibility issues, etc.
-Cheaper hardware to play these AAA games at this level of quality.
-Getting them on PS+ (at least in the case of Horizon and Days Gone) before being released on PC.

Jim said he expects PS5 supply to increase each month. Hope so.
They better hurry if want to achieve the goal they have for the end of March.

Sony need to find someone to replace him before he destroy the brand
Let's hope they don't replace him, because the brand is now stronger than ever, setting frequently new gaming history records in basically all fronts.

So psvr on usb c front of console. That connection is not as strong to hold whole cable....

I was hoping for wireless since ps5 has wifi6
Who knows, maybe it uses USB 3.2 Gen 2 + Wifi 6 + Bluetooth 5.1 at the same time.

Last edited:

RockOn

Wow really?!?!? What’s the point in getting a PS5 if you’re a PC gamer then? That’s a lions share of the library.
Cos it will never be new Playstation games coming to PC, its 1-3 year old Playstation games. I couldn't wait 1-3 years to play Playstation games on PC, thats the reason to own both PS5 & PC

BenG

Neo Member
I was seriously hesitant on upgrading my rig before (was looking at 1300+ cad BEFORE corona) but this news has me super stoked on a potential future with every major (non Nintendo) game available on one piece of hardware. He specifically mentioned offsetting development costs and the ease of porting as reasons for going down this route in that interview so I don't expect them to stop once the ball gets rolling. It'll probably take a few years but like with Microsoft I think they're going to eventually get to the point where games are releasing day and date with PC.

A few weeks/months ago he said there will be PS5VR games but not in the next couple of years. So expect it for 2023 or so.

He also didn't mention a ton of many other PS5 exclusives (independently if they are console or full exclusives, crossgen or not) announced for 2021. Maybe he just wanted to mention a few of them and did choose the three 1st party games that are closed to be released, so are the ones with bigger priority to market.

-To play them on launch day instead of having to wait 2, 3 or more years for the port.
-To have access to all the Sony exclusives instead of to a few ones.
-To don't worry about bad ports, driver or compatibility issues, etc.
-Cheaper hardware to play these AAA games at this level of quality.
-Getting them on PS+ (at least in the case of Horizon and Days Gone) before being released on PC.

They better hurry if want to achieve the goal they have for the end of March.

Let's hope they don't replace him, because the brand is now stronger than ever, setting frequently new gaming history records in basically all fronts.

Who knows, maybe it uses USB 3.2 Gen 2 + Wifi 6 + Bluetooth 5.1 at the same time.

Cos it will never be new Playstation games coming to PC, its 1-3 year old Playstation games. I couldn't wait 1-3 years to play Playstation games on PC, thats the reason to own both PS5 & PC
Any sources to the 1-3 year ports? Haven't read that in any of the recent statements from Sony. Not sure where everyone is getting these arbitrary numbers from?

Pretty sure that window is going to narrow down drastically in the future until at some point they will release day and date on PC. You people honestly sound like Xbox diehards before MS decided to put their stuff on PC. Full denial and maximum contorting.

Top Bottom