• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan GQ Interview, More games coming to PC, Console Supply, VR and more

Guilty_AI

We've been over this before. With respect, you aren't a game developer.

Game-dev is about a whole lot more than graphics engines, its about creating experiences. That experience is the target, how well it runs either stands as an impediment to delivering that experience, or a nice benefit for those with the capability to run at elevated settings.

Note I said MOST games are developed that way, not all. Exceptions do prove the rule.

The reality is that if maximized visuals are what you like, that's great. More power to you. However most people just want to be entertained and engaged.
You cannot quantify that subjective experience, and its value to them, and measure it against absolute metrics like frame-rate and resolution.

I think you'll find if you ask most players whether their most cherished gaming experiences also had the best performance and visual quality they've ever encountered you'll see there's a disconnect. I mean honestly, how often do we get "modern games are rubbish" comments thrown about on these forums, when its undeniable that games have never looked better?
You know, if certain devs go out of their way to improve certain graphical aspects, i'd say that is completely within their vision.

In fact, i'm willing to bet theres plenty of them who still can't fully fulfil their artistic vision due to technical limitations, cutting back on it because they have no choice.

yurinka

Seems like 2022 will be a big year for Sony

Meet demand with more supply
God of War 2
Gran Turismo 7
Final Fantasy 16
Last of Us Multiplayer?
PSVR2 and lineup of VR games

I guess it makes sense to go all out once you have enough supply would be wasted to sell alot of exclusives where people can't get a PS5.
As of now GoW is a 2021 game. We don't know the release date of FF16, it can be 2021 or 2023.

As I remember some months ago Ryan said there wouldn't be PS5 VR games in the next 2 or 3 years, so expect it for 2023. Consider they just sent the first devkits, so devs will need over a year or two to work on its games.

I think covid related delays aside it would make sense to expect Days Gone 2 (with a 3.5 years development) and Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac did use to release several games per year, now seems they release 1 per year and they have been growing) for 2022.

yurinka

Why it makes sense for sony to do the same.

I disagree. Sony is making way more money from gaming than MS with their own strategy.

In any case, what makes sense is to see MS caching up in areas where Sony has/had and avantage like the number of internal teams, gaming subscription moneys, having gaming streaming, having remote play, etc.

As of now, their PC strategy is very different: MS puts all their games day one on PC and under Gamepass and having their own PC shop but also putting it on other stores. Sony instead ports to PC a few (not all) several years old last gen games for purchase only without having a PC store. MS makes a stronger bet for the PC market, while Sony only uses it to get some extra secondary revenue.

In addition to this, releasing games on PC means less fanboys throwing shit to the brand, and PC players who after playing the ports of old games like Horizon and Days Gone can go a buy a PS5 to play their sequels without having to wait for several years.

MS instead knows they can't compete with Sony or Nintendo on selling consoles or games, so they are slowly moving away from consoles and focusing more on PC, where they have Windows or Office and try to compete in a promising new emerging gaming market: the game subscription services.

3. God of War Ragnarok was never a 2021 game and I said that back in September.
GoW games always had a development time of around 3.5 years, increasing the manpower in each game. If they spend this time it would release on 2021, even if they take some extra months due to Covid.

So the 2021 release mentioned on the announcement of the game, and still being the official one, makes sense. They have a shit ton of exclusive and multi games to release and market before GoW, so would make sense to don't overshadow them showing GoW gameplay specially now that they have supply constrainment issues.

Makes more sense to save this bullet for the E3, once they already released all their 2020 and H1 2021 exclusives and once they solved at least partially the supply constrain issues. Same goes with Horizon 2. In fact, the more they wait, the more similar will be what they show to the final game, solving any possible downgrade complains.

Last edited:

yurinka

It's over, just as the globalist cabal crashed the Japanese economy decades ago, now they are crashing PlayStation from the inside.
PlayStation is performing better than ever, and the Japanese console gaming market has been shrinking for a couple of decades (not just for Sony, but for everyone including Nintendo) while the western console gaming market has been growing during this period.

This happened not because of a conspiracy theory, but because in Japan they always prefered the handhelds over home consoles, so their gaming market is migrating to mobile. As happens in the western markets, in Asia the mobile and F2P markets are bigger than the console or paid games markets. The difference is that in the west mobile grows faster than the console market, and in Asia the F2P and mobile grow way faster than in the west.

VFXVeteran

Banned
We've been over this before. With respect, you aren't a game developer.
While I don't work at a gaming company, I have several friends that do. My point still stands that graphics engines are indeed developed for future hardware not currently released hardware. My statement comes from delving into graphics engines (UE/Unity) professionally at my job as well as what I've been told from people who do develop games for a living.

Game-dev is about a whole lot more than graphics engines, its about creating experiences.
We are talking about graphics engines though.

I specifically quoted you on the remark I was addressing:

"Devs typically don't build to target the capabilities of GPU's that are either not yet on the market at the time of planning"

Which is false. The last I heard, GPUs don't execute the entire game engine. You was talking about a graphics engine. Not a game engine (which usually doesn't change much from generation to generation).

Last edited:

yurinka

Any sources to the 1-3 year ports? Haven't read that in any of the recent statements from Sony. Not sure where everyone is getting these arbitrary numbers from?
Sony only said in that Jim Ryan interview that the next one is Days Gone but several more PS4 (said PS4, not PS5) games will follow. Other than that, we can use past cases as reference but it's just a guess.

For first party games:
Horizon: PS4 Feb 2017, PC August 2020 (~ 3.5 years)
Days Gone: PS4 April 2019, PC Spring 2021 (~ 2 years)

Then there are 2nd party games like Death Stranding, Detroit, Beyond, Heavy Rain, Journey and Flower ranging from 8 months -Death Stranding, special Kojima case- to almost 9.5 years -Heavy Rain- or 10 years -Flower-.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
While I don't work at a gaming company, I have several friends that do. My point still stands that graphics engines are indeed developed for future hardware not currently released hardware. My statement comes from delving into graphics engines (UE/Unity) professionally at my job as well as what I've been told from people who do develop games for a living.

We are talking about graphics engines though.

I specifically quoted you on the remark I was addressing:

"Devs typically don't build to target the capabilities of GPU's that are either not yet on the market at the time of planning"

Which is false. The last I heard, GPUs don't execute the entire game engine. You was talking about a graphics engine. Not a game engine (which usually doesn't change much from generation to generation).

And I didn't enter the conversation replying to you, it started as a rebuttal to donjaunschlong's frankly inane post.

The problem with (and I'm trying really hard to be polite about this) PC enthusiasts is that they vastly overestimate the value of rendering to the point of excluding basically everything else that makes a game a game.

When was the last time you saw a PC port of a console game with bigger maps and levels? You know, material assets that affects how the game plays rather than how it looks. At best you might get a high-def texture pack, basically recycling high-LOD stuff that was built originally for use in the cinematics.

Nothing changes beyond the cosmetic and superficial because the games as whole are built to target closed systems with fixed specifications. That the middleware engines employed are scalable is neither here nor there, the actual target for performance is planned and tuned for a profile matching the lead SKU.

Please don't bother to lecture me on the ins and outs of game-dev, I started professionally in the 1980's and worked consistently in the business over the next 3 decades. And being in the industry that long, the majority of my friends and contacts are also industry vets. I know my stuff, and having worn many "hats" in my time that's from a bunch of different perspectives ranging from coding, through design, to production and biz-dev.

yurinka

And I didn't enter the conversation replying to you, it started as a rebuttal to donjaunschlong's frankly inane post.

The problem with (and I'm trying really hard to be polite about this) PC enthusiasts is that they vastly overestimate the value of rendering to the point of excluding basically everything else that makes a game a game.

When was the last time you saw a PC port of a console game with bigger maps and levels? You know, material assets that affects how the game plays rather than how it looks. At best you might get a high-def texture pack, basically recycling high-LOD stuff that was built originally for use in the cinematics.

Nothing changes beyond the cosmetic and superficial because the games as whole are built to target closed systems with fixed specifications. That the middleware engines employed are scalable is neither here nor there, the actual target for performance is planned and tuned for a profile matching the lead SKU.

Please don't bother to lecture me on the ins and outs of game-dev, I started professionally in the 1980's and worked consistently in the business over the next 3 decades. And being in the industry that long, the majority of my friends and contacts are also industry vets. I know my stuff, and having worn many "hats" in my time that's from a bunch of different perspectives ranging from coding, through design, to production and biz-dev.
I should add -I have half of that working experience- that in addition to focus on the lead SKU, to ease work traditionally the game is made considering almost always the mininum common denominators of the devices where it's planned to be ported.

So unless the platform holder pays to get some extra DLC or stuff, or like Xbox require to add some extra stuff to publish old ports (traditionally what is made is to release a new dlc and release on Xbox a game+dlc bundle to don't sell it as an old port and instead count it as 'new game'), the multi games are made with the best selling platform as lead SKU (that is, traditionally whatever PlayStation is in the market excluding the first half of the 360 gen), making sure it fits and runs decently in whatever is the less powerful device on each area.

The more powerful devices traditionally only get maybe some extra fps, loading times and maybe some extra texture pack/lighting/vfx, etc. The game is basically the same, but looks a bit prettier in some devices.

A difference that in most cases most players can't spot the differences unless maybe if they watch some DF-style video or something that almost never happens: seeing live both versions next to each other and having enough knowledge to do it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
GoW games always had a development time of around 3.5 years, increasing the manpower in each game. If they spend this time it would release on 2021, even if they take some extra months due to Covid.

So the 2021 release mentioned on the announcement of the game, and still being the official one, makes sense. They have a shit ton of exclusive and multi games to release and market before GoW, so would make sense to don't overshadow them showing GoW gameplay specially now that they have supply constrainment issues.

Makes more sense to save this bullet for the E3, once they already released all their 2020 and H1 2021 exclusives and once they solved at least partially the supply constrain issues. Same goes with Horizon 2. In fact, the more they wait, the more similar will be what they show to the final game, solving any possible downgrade complains.

The 3 1/2 years was pre-Covid19 with everyone working together in a studio. Now, they're all working from home. I personally add 6 months for each year that they're working from home. 2020 was the first year. 2021 will be the second year. So I see Fall 2022 at the earliest and even then, I wouldn't be shocked to see the game get delayed to 2023.

Sony will show an in-engine trailer in June but im not expecting the game for at least 18 months from now. Barlog said "when it's done" and since Sony always gives extra months just for polishing their games, I think Fall 2022 at the earliest is being generous. But we can come back to this when the game eventually releases.

Horizon 2 is early 2022. I don't see it releasing this year at all and im expecting Ratchet to get delayed to September. If anything, people's expectations are way too high and don't realize that game development is a pain in the ass to begin with and when you add in working from home, it's amazing any games that weren't close to finished are even getting released at this point.

yurinka

The 3 1/2 years was pre-Covid19 with everyone working together in a studio. Now, they're all working from home. I personally add 6 months for each year that they're working from home. 2020 was the first year. 2021 will be the second year. So I see Fall 2022 at the earliest and even then, I wouldn't be shocked to see the game get delayed to 2023.

Sony will show an in-engine trailer in June but im not expecting the game for at least 18 months from now. Barlog said "when it's done" and since Sony always gives extra months just for polishing their games, I think Fall 2022 at the earliest is being generous. But we can come back to this when the game eventually releases.

Horizon 2 is early 2022. I don't see it releasing this year at all and im expecting Ratchet to get delayed to September. If anything, people's expectations are way too high and don't realize that game development is a pain in the ass to begin with and when you add in working from home, it's amazing any games that weren't close to finished are even getting released at this point.
No, Gow was released in April 2018. 3.5 years would be September-October 2021. And this is without considering Cory already had the sequel written when finished the previous one and that they cut a lot of content that very likely is going to be included in this direct sequel that very likely will be pretty similar to the previous one so they will reuse a lot of things instead of rebooting again the series.

They announced the 2021 date two years and a half after the release of the previous game, after over half a year of covid global covid pandemic, so they already considered covid when announced the 2021 date.

Horizon 2 is H2 2021, Ratchet is June 11, 2021 and Ryan was asked about how 2021 games are going and how fixed is their game schedule for this year he said they are feeling pretty good about them but that dates aren't set in stone and if they will ship when it's right because prefer make sure they have the proper quality instead of sticking to specific dates independently of the quality. So I think right now there are zero reasons to think will delay Horizon or Ratchet.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I should add -I have half of that working experience- that in addition to focus on the lead SKU, to ease work traditionally the game is made considering almost always the mininum common denominators of the devices where it's planned to be ported.

So unless the platform holder pays to get some extra DLC or stuff, or like Xbox require to add some extra stuff to publish old ports (traditionally what is made is to release a new dlc and release on Xbox a game+dlc bundle to don't sell it as an old port and instead count it as 'new game'), the multi games are made with the best selling platform as lead SKU (that is, traditionally whatever PlayStation is in the market excluding the first half of the 360 gen), making sure it fits and runs decently in whatever is the less powerful device on each area.

The more powerful devices traditionally only get maybe some extra fps, loading times and maybe some extra texture pack/lighting/vfx, etc. The game is basically the same, but looks a bit prettier in some devices.

A difference that in most cases most players can't spot the differences unless maybe if they watch some DF-style video or something that almost never happens: seeing live both versions next to each other and having enough knowledge to do it.

I don't feel like the lowest common denominator aspect tends to be meaningful as its kinda normal for consoles of the same gen to be specced so similarly that asset sharing is possible. After all, most variances are going to arise as a result of tweaking and optimization late in the cycle.

As you correctly point out, if nips and tucks are necessary to fine-tune performance the goal is always to make them such that they aren't obvious to the average user, not to ensure they are completely undetectable by pixel counters. Its about illusion, not perfection.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I hope Sony does what Microsoft does to release it Day 1 just to piss off the stupid fanboys who still the boot of companies like Sony. Only for Sony to kick the boot far away for the fanboys to run after. I'm excited for Sony doing this. It's about time.

No, Gow was released in April 2018. 3.5 years would be September-October 2021. And this is without considering Cory already had the sequel written when finished the previous one and that they cut a lot of content that very likely is going to be included in this direct sequel that very likely will be pretty similar to the previous one so they will reuse a lot of things instead of rebooting again the series.

They announced the 2021 date two years and a half after the release of the previous game, after over half a year of covid global covid pandemic, so they already considered covid when announced the 2021 date.

Horizon 2 is H2 2021, Ratchet is June 11, 2021 and Ryan was asked about how 2021 games are going and how fixed is their game schedule for this year he said they are feeling pretty good about them but that dates aren't set in stone and if they will ship when it's right because prefer make sure they have the proper quality instead of sticking to specific dates independently of the quality. So I think right now there are zero reasons to think will delay Horizon or Ratchet.
I expect all the PS4 exclusive that already on PS plus collection on PS5 will be port to PC since it basically will no longer get any sales on PlayStation. So there are 7 games left that havent ported :
1. GoW
2. infamous
3. The last of us remastered
4. Ratchet & Clank
5. Uncharted 4
6. The last guardian
7. Bloodborne

I don't think Sony will port rachet and the last guardian, since it is not very popular IP compared to other in the list. How long it will be ported depend on Sony themselves, i dont think there are any fixed time when it will be ported, could be a year after or could be 10 year after

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree in regards to God of War Ragnarok coming this year because it's not. I'll give you 2022 but at the same time, it wouldn't shock me to see it slip to 2023. As for Ratchet and Horizon 2, again, we'll just have to agree to disagree. With these two games, we'll know by the fall if/when they're releasing this year.

linkroi

If Sony want more money they should've make online mode with microtransaction for their games just like Rockstar and others do. Picking the option to release their games on pc is simply prostitution and brain retard.
I can't understand is that comment is for real or just a fanboy being retarded. You would really want something like microtransaction over a PC release ? like, it's something bad for Sony (or you ?) that more people could enjoy a game ? Nonetheless, i never tried prostitution, but I will certainly try it if Bloodborne of God of War shows up on steam ;)

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm still looking for a PS5, Jimmy boy.

200.gif

kyliethicc

The funny thing is Sony already did same day PS & PC release in 2020.

It was Predator: Hunting Grounds. April 2020. Day 1 PS4 and PC launch. $40 multiplayer game.

But no one cared cause the game sucked.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
We'll just have to agree to disagree in regards to God of War Ragnarok coming this year because it's not. I'll give you 2022 but at the same time, it wouldn't shock me to see it slip to 2023. As for Ratchet and Horizon 2, again, we'll just have to agree to disagree. With these two games, we'll know by the fall if/when they're releasing this year.

Asking around it seems like Covid has added around 3-6 months to milestone dates, really depending on the state of the project and the size of the team being reorganized to support remote work.

I'd expect the biggest projects possibly to lose more time as they often involve multiple sites and contractors and so delays will compound as the different units resume output at different dates according to local conditions. Not to mention the potential for additional delays and issues should a team member (or one of their family members) get sick.

Now is not the time to hold people to dates, its just a volatile time.

As of now GoW is a 2021 game. We don't know the release date of FF16, it can be 2021 or 2023.

As I remember some months ago Ryan said there wouldn't be PS5 VR games in the next 2 or 3 years, so expect it for 2023. Consider they just sent the first devkits, so devs will need over a year or two to work on its games.

I think covid related delays aside it would make sense to expect Days Gone 2 (with a 3.5 years development) and Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac did use to release several games per year, now seems they release 1 per year and they have been growing) for 2022.
Apparently Insomniac hasn't even start Spiderman 2 yet so I think that is a late 2023 game when you also consider COVID
They will move at a snails pace
Days Gone 2 seems likely for 2022
I still think GOW2 can make this year since that will be 3.5 years of development time
They announced 2021 after having several months to assess the damage COVID had on their production
If it gets delayed it will be delayed to the 1st half of 2022 IMO
Hopefully PS5 exclusive

People are assuming GOW is far behind because of a logo and year
It could be pretty far along and they are presenting the game this way for marketing
I can see it slipping to 2022 but 2023 is pushing it and is even more pure speculation as we don't know the state of the game

Last edited:
We believe in VR and have been extremely happy with the results with the present PlayStation VR and think that we will do good business with our new VR system for PlayStation 5. More importantly, we see it as something beyond this coming iteration that really could be really big and really important. We like to innovate; we think our community likes us to innovate. I’d turn around the question and say, “Why not?” For us, it’s a very logical step to take. We’re very excited by it and we think that people who are going to make VR games for our new VR system are going to be very excited too.

that's the vote of confidence we wanted to hear, Jim.

though I'm intrigued that he speaks about a new "format" rather than "headset". They still talk about increased resolution and FOV, so it clearly has a display, but may not be quite a headset?

VR must be freed from cables, playing Batman VR made me a believer. I was constantly being hindered by cables.

on psvr you were not hindered by cables. Yes, there was a spaghetti, but it was behind the tv. The only cable you deal with is 1 and it's long and doesn't really come in the way - it's the need to stay in front of the camera and the fact it tracks visible light that really causes most issues on psvr. This is likely gone on psvr2, so I don't mind single cable, specially if it gets more big games ported - playing big games for hours standing is no fun.

yurinka

Apparently Insomniac hasn't even start Spiderman 2 yet so I think that is a late 2023 game when you also consider COVID
Spider-Man 2 began development in 2019, before going into full production in Q2 2020. I think they will release it on 2022.

I thought the quote was "Not this year (2020) and not next year (2021)"

Which meant 2022 was on the table.
Maybe. I think he also had another quote specifically talking about "PS5 VR" games instead of the device itself, not sure if it's this same quote.

though I'm intrigued that he speaks about a new "format" rather than "headset". They still talk about increased resolution and FOV, so it clearly has a display, but may not be quite a headset?
Maybe a smaller headset that is more similar to some glasses than to a helmet.

They announced a GoWR 2021 release after like 2/3 of the time they have between releases and half a year after the pandemic and lockdowns started. Half a year later and 3 months away of that H2 2021, the game isn't delayed.

So it's very likely that they will release this game in 2021, and if it gets delayed with the game almost done, it should be to very likely maximum Q1 2022. It doesn't make sense to expect a 2023 release.

I expect all the PS4 exclusive that already on PS plus collection on PS5 will be port to PC since it basically will no longer get any sales on PlayStation. So there are 7 games left that havent ported :
1. GoW
2. infamous
3. The last of us remastered
4. Ratchet & Clank
5. Uncharted 4
6. The last guardian
7. Bloodborne

I don't think Sony will port rachet and the last guardian, since it is not very popular IP compared to other in the list. How long it will be ported depend on Sony themselves, i dont think there are any fixed time when it will be ported, could be a year after or could be 10 year after
Yes, I think it's more likely to see ported PS4 games that:
-Have been included in PS+, PS Collection, PS Now, Play at Home. If possible in several of them
-Have a current price of $9.99 or $19.99, both permanently (like 'PS Hits') or frequently in sales
-Had good sales or good Metacritic/won many awards, so have potential to be attractive to new users
-Had PS5 BC patch, PS5 native version or at least PS4 Pro version, indicating the game is somewhat scalable and they have the source code and its engine is ready to tweak it or to port it and that their devs are ready

I think games like The Last Guardian or Bloodborne would be good candidates to be ported to PC, but they may have an issue with the availability of the devs, their engine or code, or maybe Sony considers that it isn't profitable for them to spend money on a proper PS5 BC patch or native to add rock solid 60fps and (if possible native) 4K. Or who knows, maybe they plan to do it later but right now are too busy with other games (both new and patched for PS5 or making PC port), console features, upgrading PS Now, PSVR2 stuff, etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
They announced a GoWR 2021 release after like 2/3 of the time they have between releases and half a year after the pandemic and lockdowns started. Half a year later and 3 months away of that H2 2021, the game isn't delayed.

So it's very likely that they will release this game in 2021, and if it gets delayed with the game almost done, it should be to very likely maximum Q1 2022. It doesn't make sense to expect a 2023 release.
I'm not expecting God of War Ragnarok this year at all. Anyone who is is going to be disappointed to say the least. As for 2022, like I said, it could be but at the same time, I wouldn't be shocked or surprised if it isn't. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

yurinka

I'm not expecting God of War Ragnarok this year at all. Anyone who is is going to be disappointed to say the least. As for 2022, like I said, it could be but at the same time, I wouldn't be shocked or surprised if it isn't. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
The official announcement for 2021, the recent statements not delaying it, the development time compared to their previous games, not showing it to don't overshadow more recent exclusives and save that hype bullet for later once supply demand issues are solved... everything points to a H2 2021 release.

Even adding a few months more due to some understandable delay that may appear from one until the release. Let's add some extra months more on top of that being generous, we have Q1 2022 maximum.

It's very likely that it will be released in 2021, it's possible to see it delayed to Q1 2022 but nobody in this thread explained any reason of why it could go to 2023, because it simply doesn't make sense and everything else points on the opposite direction.

Asking around it seems like Covid has added around 3-6 months to milestone dates, really depending on the state of the project and the size of the team being reorganized to support remote work.
They announced the GoWR 2021 release after half a year of pandemic, remote work and lockdowns, once they were in about 2/3 of their usual development time so any covid related delay, or time buffer for potential future delays was already included there and they already were reorganized around remote work for a while. Half a year later and 3 months away of that H2 2021 window they didn't delay it.

Yes, always can appear some delay and it can fit inside that H2 2021 window. And if for some reason a bigger delay could appear, it would go to Q1 2022. It isn't common to see long delays that being close to the release.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2 began development in 2019, before going into full production in Q2 2020. I think they will release it on 2022.

Maybe. I think he also had another quote specifically talking about "PS5 VR" games instead of the device itself, not sure if it's this same quote.

Maybe a smaller headset that is more similar to some glasses than to a helmet.

Yes, I think it's more likely to see ported PS4 games that:
-Have been included in PS+, PS Collection, PS Now, Play at Home. If possible in several of them
-Have a current price of $9.99 or $19.99, both permanently (like 'PS Hits') or frequently in sales
-Had good sales or good Metacritic/won many awards, so have potential to be attractive to new users
-Had PS5 BC patch, PS5 native version or at least PS4 Pro version, indicating the game is somewhat scalable and they have the source code and its engine is ready to tweak it or to port it and that their devs are ready

I think games like The Last Guardian or Bloodborne would be good candidates to be ported to PC, but they may have an issue with the availability of the devs, their engine or code, or maybe Sony considers that it isn't profitable for them to spend money on a proper PS5 BC patch or native to add rock solid 60fps and (if possible native) 4K. Or who knows, maybe they plan to do it later but right now are too busy with other games (both new and patched for PS5 or making PC port), console features, upgrading PS Now, PSVR2 stuff, etc.
After some research there is no reliable source saying Spiderman 2 development started in 2019 except a 4chan source (unreliable) and some random website I have never seen in my life. The artist for Spiderman 2 hasn't even begun working on the game. If it releases 2022 then very impressive by Insomniac.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The official announcement for 2021, the recent statements not delaying it, the development time compared to their previous games, not showing it to don't overshadow more recent exclusives and save that hype bullet for later once supply demand issues are solved... everything points to a H2 2021 release.

Even adding a few months more due to some understandable delay that may appear from one until the release. Let's add some extra months more on top of that being generous, we have Q1 2022 maximum.

It's very likely that it will be released in 2021, it's possible to see it delayed to Q1 2022 but nobody in this thread explained any reason of why it could go to 2023, because it simply doesn't make sense and everything else points on the opposite direction.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Kenpachii

The games are coming to PC for the simple reason that cost are going up but consumers on consoles most likely not. Its simple not sustainable. This is why u see more and more games hit more and more platforms to validate the money they burn on it. I am sure sony's hand is getting forced here as there is little to no reason for sony to ever want those games to hit PC really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom