• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan GQ Interview, More games coming to PC, Console Supply, VR and more

It's over, just as the globalist cabal crashed the Japanese economy decades ago, now they are crashing PlayStation from the inside.
No wonder the atmosphere of that mini documentary they made on the history of the inception of the PlayStation a while ago had a somber tone.
It's OVAAA! Fuck Epstein! :lollipop_poop:

Hope that means I will be able to play EGS games on my PS5 in the future at least.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Funny how butthurt some naive Sony fans are about this. They have no sense of business. It's not destroying the brand - but rather helping it, you fanatics.
How the fuck is it helping the brand? There is no playstation brand without the console.
Then why is xbox sales is always rock bottom every month in npd and Nintendo always came on top

Newsflash for you exclusive game sells system

GreenAlien

Horizon sold terribly on PC. They even stopped supporting it.
Where do you get that from? The only news I find about sales says it did pretty good.

Life

This is not about what is relevant or not

Sony is setting a trend that any ps exclusive games will eventually made its way to PC

The more and more people realize this then more people will realize then wont need to buy playstation to enjoy the library
So you're saying the average gamer is gonna wait 4/5 years to play their favourite franchise - and on top of that - buy a $1000-$2000 PC to run it - when they can just buy a $500 dollar PS5 and play it on release, years in advance? It's not gonna happen.

Whoever thinks this damages the brand is just being emotional.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
So you're saying the average gamer is gonna wait 4/5 years to play their favourite franchise - and on top of that - buy a $1000-$2000 PC to run it - when they can just buy a $500 dollar PS5 and play it on release, years in advance? It's not gonna happen.

Im gona make my point and im gona repeat this over and over again

Im not buying a system in which its exlsuive game will eventually made its way to PC

I already abandoned xbox and ps too if sony follow xbox path

Last edited:
The more they move to support pc the less viable a "its to get them to play sequels on Playstation" becomes; if there ever was such an idea in place. This feels much more like Sony inching toward full blown pc support in the way Xbox has. The amount of pc users willing to shell out for a console box has got to be insignificant in comparison to the money they are leaving on the table by ignoring all of us who are not willing to go out of their way for overhyped exclusives.

Last edited:

Life

Im not buying a system in which its exlsuive game will eventually made its way to PC

I get what you're saying but that's the problem with your point: "I" - most people neither have the money to buy a proper gaming rig, nor the patience to wait YEARS to play their favourite franchise.

The fact some fans are so concerned about "the brand" just shows how attached they are to it to begin with. Why would Sony be concerned with a fanbase like that? Look at the PS5 - can we even fucking buy any?

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned

I hope you like waiting though. For example Bloodborne came out in 2014 and it's still not on PC unless you play it through PSNow.

NickFire

"I know there were people who wanted a PS5 and couldn’t find one. We’re very sorry about that and obviously grateful that demand has been as strong as it is."

As one of those outsiders looking in, I genuinely appreciate the concise and simple statement on this issue.

kretos

Banned
Smart business choice to port games to PC 2-3 years after release, hope this means more money to invest in more blockbusters not just put it in their pockets

for people saying this will hurt the brand i'd agree if they release games on PS5 and PC day 1 but this is not the case, how many people will switch from PS to buy a 2000$+ PC? i'm sure Sony did the math

i just hope it's EGS exclusive for the meltdowns lol

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Where do you get that from? The only news I find about sales says it did pretty good.
You think 716k is good

Ignoring the utility a pc provides most normies over a console and why it's a better long term investment, a 400 dollar box, plus another 400 dollar mid gen refresh, plus online fees, plus more expensive games. I don't think the price argument is all that valid anymore. Console gaming is much more expensive than pc gaming with the mask of a smaller initial cost.

Most people, especially those on boards like these, should be building pcs full stop. Unfortunately it's some basic technical incompetence and reluctance to learn that keeps "enthusiasts" trapped on entry level gaming hardware.

You don't need a 2000 dollar beast to game on pc, or a college degree. In fact after the initial build, a competent person can switch to upgrading piecemeal which makes the exaggerated "2000$!!!!!" argument laughable. Hopefully the loss of exclusives wakes some of you up to a better gaming experience.

NickFire

Smart business choice to port games to PC 2-3 years after release, hope this means more money to invest in more blockbusters not just put it in their pockets

for people saying this will hurt the brand i'd agree if they release games on PS5 and PC day 1 but this is not the case, how many people will switch from PS to buy a 2000$+ PC? i'm sure Sony did the math

i just hope it's EGS exclusive for the meltdowns lol
This. For the life of me I don't understand how releasing games a year later on PC is a negative.

Life

Ignoring the utility a pc provides most normies over a console and why it's a better long term investment, a 400 dollar box, plus another 400 dollar mid gen refresh, plus online fees, plus more expensive games. I don't think the price argument is all that valid anymore. Console gaming is much more expensive than pc gaming with the mask of a smaller initial cost.

Most people, especially those on boards like these, should be building pcs full stop. Unfortunately it's some basic technical incompetence and reluctance to learn that keeps "enthusiasts" trapped on entry level gaming hardware.

You don't need a 2000 dollar beast to game on pc, or a college degree. In fact after the initial build, a competent person can switch to upgrading piecemeal which makes the exaggerated "2000$!!!!!" argument laughable. Hopefully the loss of exclusives wakes some of you up to a better gaming experience.

I said 1000 to 2000 Dollars - and yes, if you want to match the quality of the PS5 you have to definitely spend a lot. You sure you're not "exaggerating"? Try buying a decent graphics card today.

Sony exlsuvies are singe player experiences with familiar protagonists etc. PSN fees don't concern them.

“What about PlayStation games on PC? A whole slate of them is on the way starting with Days Gone this spring.”
Thanks Sony. Destroy your brand a little bit more. I can nab this one on PC

“And as for Sony’s publishing timetable for the year? Well, Covid has been up to no good again and booted Gran Turismo 7 back to 2022.”

bwahahaha. Of course. The sequel to GT6 was definitely hampered by COVID19. That studio needs some help. Too bad Sony killed of their other racing studio.
Destroy the brand? Why? Those are old games, by releasing them on PC they create halo effect. People who don't have a PlayStation will like the games and will want to buy into the ecosystem.

Fake

Destroy the brand? Why? Those are old games, by releasing them on PC they create halo effect. People who don't have a PlayStation will like the games and will want to buy into the ecosystem.

HZD was a old game. Days Gone not so much.

GreatnessRD

About Sony games coming to PC, there's one leaker that mentioned that Days Gone would be coming to the platform (seems to have gotten it right), alongside with The Last Guardian, God of War and down the line The Last Of Us: Part II and Ghost of Tsushima as well.

I also reached out to him privately and mentioned a september/october release window for Elden Ring along with the fact that there's only one Silent Hill game in development and that it is being worked on in Japan - so bury those baseless Bloober Team rumors, they're probably doing Alone in the Dark with THQ.
Since you got some pull, can you tell them to bring GT7 and MLB The Show to PC as well, please. Thanks, dad!

We assessed the exercise in two ways. Firstly, in terms of the straightforward success of the activity of publishing the game on PC, people liked it and they bought it. We also looked at it through the lens of what the PlayStation community thought about it. There was no massive adverse reaction to it. So we will continue to take mission steps in this direction.

So Sony fanboys were up in arms, but not enough to do anything about it.

GreenAlien

You think 716k is good
In the first month? For a cheap port of a three year old game that barely looks better than it did on console? Yes. Did you not see the comparisons in the article? It sold on par with Witcher 3. -> It did better than it deserved and probably at least 3 times as much as it needed to be a success.

Last edited:
This seems to be one of those situations where the hardcore market on both ends is going to be constantly locked in on who is right or wrong. The PC gamers are saying hurray and why this so bad, and then the console gamers will ultimately repeat the same: It will diminish the brand of Sony. In a way I get that, but at the end of the day Sony is missing out on some good cash from not being on PC. In the end that is all it is. Cash.

Ol Jimbo there pretty much admits, games cost lots of money, so they kinda need to widen the net a bit for profit. Which ... eh I kinda agree with Microsoft's stance in a way - People can buy their stuff on PC, or Console, as long as you spend money on it. It doesn't matter. Also when you kinda think about it ... Microsoft's experiment worked. Yes we know PS5 sold more , but by I think Shinobi's report, Xbox Series X and S sold a total around 4 millionish units. If people know they can get the same games on PC from Microsoft, why hasn't the Xbox cratered to ... I don't know 1 million or less units.

I get the hardcore console fans will cry foul about it, but in the end these companies... should sell their games on PC . You ain't diminishing your brand if you got 100 million consoles, but when Bloodborne, or fuck it Gravity Rush barely sells or The Order 1886, those extra numbers on the PC end could make it a viable franchise.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This seems to be one of those situations where the hardcore market on both ends is going to be constantly locked in on who is right or wrong. The PC gamers are saying hurray and why this so bad, and then the console gamers will ultimately repeat the same: It will diminish the brand of Sony. In a way I get that, but at the end of the day Sony is missing out on some good cash from not being on PC. In the end that is all it is. Cash.

Ol Jimbo there pretty much admits, games cost lots of money, so they kinda need to widen the net a bit for profit. Which ... eh I kinda agree with Microsoft's stance in a way - People can buy their stuff on PC, or Console, as long as you spend money on it. It doesn't matter. Also when you kinda think about it ... Microsoft's experiment worked. Yes we know PS5 sold more , but by I think Shinobi's report, Xbox Series X and S sold a total around 4 millionish units. If people know they can get the same games on PC from Microsoft, why hasn't the Xbox cratered to ... I don't know 1 million or less units.

I get the hardcore console fans will cry foul about it, but in the end these companies... should sell their games on PC . You ain't diminishing your brand if you got 100 million consoles, but when Bloodborne, or fuck it Gravity Rush barely sells or The Order 1886, those extra numbers on the PC end could make it a viable franchise.

The only problem with your post is that Sony ISN'T agreeing with MS at all with this approach. Sony are making Playstation games first and foremost, that get "PORTED" to PC years later. That's different than what MS is doing. They are making PC\Console games from the ground up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So you must be an Xbox fanboy that "NEEDS" this to be bad news for Playstation huh?
And how is this bad news?

Sony sells more games, makes more money and Jim Ryan himself in the interview said releasing PS games on PC had not had any big negative effect. So more games coming to PC.

Sounds like a win for Sony and gamers. PC gamer get to play, the employees making the game have more people playing it, and with cross play MP (which will come soon) it helps keep the community bigger so it doesn't fade into nothing.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

The current administration has no real vision and Jim is just winging it(been saying this). Watching what MS is doing and dipping their toes into it like "Oh we're not following them, we're just checking". They're throwing shit at the wall already and pretty much just running on a reactionary basis. The only thing coming out of Jim's mouth he believes in is "AAA blockbuster".

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And how is this bad news?

Sony sells more games, makes more money and Jim Ryan himself in the interview said releasing PS games on PC had not had any big negative effect. So more games coming to PC.

Sounds like a win for Sony and gamers. PC gamer get to play, the employees making the game have more people playing it, and with cross play MP (which will come soon) it helps keep the community bigger so it doesn't fade into nothing.

Your comment made it sound as if you were saying it was a negative for PS gamers. You said "The last attempt is putting on a good face when it happens".

HeresJohnny

My issue with them isn’t the supply so much; I get that part. But my issue with Sony is that they insist on selling it online despite stores being open, allowing all these scumbag scalper bots to scoop them up. I had one in my cart and was checking out at Target yesterday and they sold it out from under me, I’m assuming to some cunt with a bot. Stop being fucking assholes Sony. Sony could put enormous pressure on these retailers to sell it in store, but they aren’t. Put it in a store where a scalper can’t use a bot and let the best man win. Stop enabling these fucking scalper cunts, there’s 20 pages of scalped PS5s on EBay, and not one on a store shelf — fucking retarded.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My issue with them isn’t the supply so much; I get that part. But my issue with Sony is that they insist on selling it online despite stores being open, allowing all these scumbag scalper bots to scoop them up. I had one in my cart and was checking out at Target yesterday and they sold it out from under me, I’m assuming to some cunt with a bot. Stop being fucking assholes Sony. Sony could put enormous pressure on these retailers to sell it in store, but they aren’t. Put it in a store where a scalper can’t use a bot and let the best man win. Stop enabling these fucking scalper cunts, there’s 20 pages of scalped PS5s on EBay, and not one on a store shelf — fucking retarded.
Maybe the reason why stores are sticking to online is because with so few consoles getting shipped to them, it's better just to pile them into 5,000 unit piles at a warehouse as opposed to shipping every store 4 units, or purposely pissing people off gamers shipping only the bigger selling stores 20 each and the smaller stores get zero.

At least with online, gamers cant complain about store allotment and which store gets what.

Just a guess.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Maybe the reason why stores are sticking to online is because with so few consoles getting shipped to them, it's better just to pile them into 5,000 unit piles at a warehouse as opposed to shipping every store 4 units, or purposely pissing people off gamers shipping only the bigger selling stores 20 each and the smaller stores get zero.

At least with online, gamers cant complain about store allotment and which store gets what.

Just a guess.
Perhaps, it’s just super frustrating because the people who don’t want one for the right reasons all have them. There has to be a better way to make sure that people who just want one to play games on instead of making a profit can get one.

"recognise the economics of game development"

It is very expensive to develop big AAA games, so they need to make money. This is why they are expanding to PC market.

This is something console warriors forget. When you own the game, you make money off of it even when it is not sold on your console. Sales of these games on PC will be funding console games. It's win-win for everyone.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Perhaps, it’s just super frustrating because the people who don’t want one for the right reasons all have them. There has to be a better way to make sure that people who just want one to play games on instead of making a profit can get one.
This is the textbook problem with price controls. If Sony didn't make retailers charge MSRP, they would mark them up to market value and there would be no black market. Price would likely have come down to actual MSRP by now.

It's over, just as the globalist cabal crashed the Japanese economy decades ago, now they are crashing PlayStation from the inside.
No wonder the atmosphere of that mini documentary they made on the history of the inception of the PlayStation a while ago had a somber tone.
It's OVAAA! Fuck Epstein! :lollipop_poop:

Hope that means I will be able to play EGS games on my PS5 in the future at least.
Alex Jones get out of this body!

This is the textbook problem with price controls. If Sony didn't make retailers charge MSRP, they would mark them up to market value and there would be no black market. Price would likely have come down to actual MSRP by now.
While I agree with the gist of the statement, at least the retailers are providing something to Sony (a distribution channel is a pretty big deal)... Scalpers only make it worse since not only do you pay more for the console, you also get it later (and probably at more trouble to you).

But yeah, price control causes scalping, whoever fixes the price, however one aspect of fixing MSRP is the relationship between Sony and their clients.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Jim has got to fucking go. He has no clue what made the PS brand a juggernaut in years past.
Comes off as way too fucking corporate.
Why because they're bringing more games to pc? This is a win win. Bring the original titles to pc, make a shit load of money and then the sequels sell more anyway.

SSfox

It all make sense now on why Ken kutaragi is working on robots. He is secretly creating a Terminator in case Jimbo and Hermen will fuck PS brand, so that Ken can send the Terminator in the past to kill both 2 guys before the disaster to save playstation.

Once again Ken will save us, don't worry guys.

SSfox

If Sony want more money they should've make online mode with microtransaction for their games just like Rockstar and others do. Picking the option to release their games on pc is simply prostitution and brain retard.

Top Bottom