• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan GQ Interview, More games coming to PC, Console Supply, VR and more

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why Sony fans care about PC getting old games is a huge mystery to me. Really happy I will be able to play all of those games at 100+ fps.
Sony fans are strange, they get mad for sony games on pc because they "devalue" the console but they search every excuse for the crossgen dick that jimbo inserted in their asses after the "we believe in generations" narrative.

A curious bunch of folks indeed :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

dDoc

Wow really?!?!? What’s the point in getting a PS5 if you’re a PC gamer then? That’s a lions share of the library.
Besides what others have answered re PS4 games etc, the cost of entry for a PS5 is more palatable price wise vs a similarly specced PC at this stage. Will change in a year or 2 ofc.

sublimit

Banned
Why would Xbox fans need to spin it? MS has been pretty clear they want you to play their games across PC, console and mobile. They have an ecosystem built in and ready to rock (XBL, Xbox App, xcloud, Game Pass). Wherever they port their game they only add value to their ecosystem.

Sony PC ports on the other hand do nothing for the PS ecosystem as there are no tethers there and could arguably weaken the PS brand as they have no way to retain those PC gamers. They are basically a third party seller on PC, not a platform holder.
First i said fanboys not fans.They always find ways to twist anything positive about PS into a negative. They are very talented at that.

Secondly Sony has PSNow on PC and these games will soon be available at that platform if they are not already there.

Thirdly they are making money from games that have been out for a long time and they are dirt cheap if someone wants to buy them for PS4 anyway. Why should they say no to more money? More money into their pockets means more money invested for new exclusive PS5 games.What's there for any (healthy) PS fan not to like about this?

Adam_802

Why would Xbox fans need to spin it? MS has been pretty clear they want you to play their games across PC, console and mobile. They have an ecosystem built in and ready to rock (XBL, Xbox App, xcloud, Game Pass). Wherever they port their game they only add value to their ecosystem.

Sony PC ports on the other hand do nothing for the PS ecosystem as there are no tethers there and could arguably weaken the PS brand as they have no way to retain those PC gamers. They are basically a third party seller on PC, not a platform holder.

Exactly.

CAB_Life

Eh?
It's more like how Xbox fanboys will try to spin it.

In any case he was pretty straight forward about what he said so it's impossible to spin it anyway.
Xbox has made their first party offerings available on multiple platforms for years though, and their fanbase has been thoroughly indoctrinated to that effect, so your statement makes no sense. 1st party "exclusives" have been the big feather in Sony's cap for several generations and that seems to be changing.

SilentUser

As I said in other topic, nice to see Playstation titles coming to PC (for now, it appears to be PS4 only as Ryan's words, but that will change one day). Plus, curious about the new PSVR.

Yeah that’s fair. I just don’t see them competing with Microsoft if they’re trying to pivot to a software/services company. I’m probably wrong but I still see value in platform exclusives. I’ve got a large back catalog so this may change some of my buying habits: GoT and Days Gone on PC namely.
Given how expensive (and difficult) it is to build a PC these days, I don't imagine they're expecting to lose a lot of customers to PC gaming.
There is very little overlap between PC gamers and console gamers.

sublimit

Banned
Xbox has made their first party offerings available on multiple platforms for years though, and their fanbase has been thoroughly indoctrinated to that effect, so your statement makes no sense. 1st party "exclusives" have been the big feather in Sony's cap for several generations and that seems to be changing.
My statement made perfect sense as your post (and some others) prove lol. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Robins

The single cord VR line is disappointing.

Using the wireless Oculus quest or w/e it's called has really made me want wireless VR.

It's one reason I do not use my PSVR that much.

Bartski

Gold Member
It makes perfect sense to release old games on PC, especially those with console exclusive sequels on the Horizon.
No way they go day one on both as long as they care for hardware sales.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sony could do a same day release of all their titles on PC and it wouldn’t change or move the needle as much as people think it would.

All of the biggest games are cross platform and most of them still sell better on consoles.

Arkam

So kind of pissed to hear GT7 is slipping to 2022. Was looking forward to that one this spring. But I get it why. I dont like it. But I get it.

On the other hand FINALLY confirming PSV2 is coming and sounds like 2022 release potentially. That is very exciting! He straight up said it wont be cordless, so that is a mild damper. But as long as the cable is long it should be fine. Cannot wait to see the changes in this version and what they do with the Move Controllers.

sunnysideup

Banned
Sony is the only company that focuses on single player games. Which is the only games i care about.

But since all games come to pc, i dont think i buy any more playstation consoles. I rather buy a new pc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The tethering is the fear if PS games go on PC, fanboys get sad some PS gamers jump ship to PC making their ecosystem army smaller.

sublimit

Banned
Doubling-down on a nothingburger of a statement doesn't magically imbue said statement with clout or credibility. But whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night.
I explained in my previous post why PS fans don't have any reasons to "spin" what Ryan said. I'm not going to repost for people who don't bother to read. However the excuses you provided about Xbox fans spining while saying dumb things like
"1st party "exclusives" have been the big feather in Sony's cap for several generations and that seems to be changing"
when all Sony does is making OLD last gen games available to PC leaves a lot to be desired as an answer that holds any merit.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I'm OK with the PS console exclusives coming to PC, especially if it's not day one to give the fanboys a few months to gloat.

(And especially since I've given up on console gaming)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
PvP is the only legitimate worry here.

KBM users have a crazy advantage over controller users in games that require speed and precision.

Astorian

Sony's games are mostly one and done affairs that wouldn't top any Twitch stream more than 24 hours. A 15-hour 3rd person action game doesn't have the legs that a Flight Simulator or Sea of Thieves does, let alone Halo multiplayer.
Eh? Those 15 hour 3rd person games sell more.

Sony's games are mostly one and done affairs that wouldn't top any Twitch stream more than 24 hours. A 15-hour 3rd person action game doesn't have the legs that a Flight Simulator or Sea of Thieves does, let alone Halo multiplayer.
bj4UQu2.png

Sony is the only company that focuses on single player games. Which is the only games i care about.

But since all games come to pc, i dont think i buy any more playstation consoles. I rather buy a new pc.

Not anymore. Fable, Awoved, InExiles upcoming new IP 1st Person RPG want to say hi. Oh and Microsoft does have single player games such as both of the Ori games and Gears Tactics which is also fantastic with many more coming. Don't forget about Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield and many more to come.

Last edited:
Bloodborne is not a 15-hour action adventure game.
Eh, that depends on how you play it. That being said, Halo 5 is also lagging behind TLOU2, God of War, and GoT right now. Even TLOU1 is currently matching it in terms of viewers, and that's originally a PS3 game.

Last edited:

Schmick

Fair enough. So releasing PlayStation games on PC was something that Sony PlayStation held back on for a long time. Now it sounds like you’re very much on that bandwagon. What changed?

I think a few things changed. We find ourselves now in early 2021 with our development studios and the games that they make in better shape than they’ve ever been before. Particularly from the latter half of the PS4 cycle our studios made some wonderful, great games. There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward. The cost of making games goes up with each cycle, as the calibre of the IP has improved. Also, our ease of making it available to non-console owners has grown. So it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make.

---------------

Pretty straight forward and smart. And he literally said PS4 games but no one will read. It's smart to use PS4 games as they are already last gen and squeeze more money out of them to fund the sequel, which this move assures.
Yep no reason for me to get a PS5 now. PS4 games and eventually PS5 games coming to PC means there's just no need.

Javthusiast

Banned

So? They will still easily sell over a cool mil. That is extra cash for just a port.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Considering that PC gaming sales are now greater than console gaming sales, it would be foolish not to release games on PC unless their functionality is not compatible with PC games.
Horizon sold terribly on PC. They even stopped supporting it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Funny how butthurt some naive Sony fans are about this. They have no sense of business. It's not destroying the brand - but rather helping it, you fanatics.
If thats the case then why is xbox sales is always rock bottom every month in npd and Nintendo always came on top

Newsflash for you exclusive game sells system

Last edited:

Bankai

Fantastic news on PSVR 2!! It’s gonna happen!

Also, I’m very happy it WON’T be wireless. That way, it won’t be dependent on streaming and will be using the full horsepower of the PS5.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Life

If thats the case then why is xbox sales is always rock bottom every month in npd and Nintendo always came on top

Newsflash for you exclusive game sells system
Console sale figures, that's why. Besides, your point is irrelevant. No one's going around buying PS4 or PS5 for Days Gone. Sony is releasing games that are no longer relevant. If anything, they could make PC users buy consoles when sequels come out on Sony's consoles in the future.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Console sale figures, that's why. Besides, your point is irrelevant. No one's going around buying PS4 or PS5 for Days Gone. Sony is releasing games that are no longer relevant. If anything, they could make PC users buy consoles when sequels come out on Sony's consoles in the future.
This is not about what is relevant or not

Sony is setting a trend that any ps exclusive games will eventually made its way to PC

The more and more people realize this then more people will realize then wont need to buy playstation to enjoy the library

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
A few tidbits -

1. I'm not a PC gamer whatsoever so Sony and Microsoft's exclusives going to PC means nothing to me as im a pure console gamer and that will never change. As long as their exclusives stay exclusive to Xbox/PC and PlayStation/PC, perfectly fine to me. Also, Sony should release their first party games on Steam and The Epic Games Store. It's basically free money for Sony. Before the current generation ends, Sony will have all of their exclusives on PC day one and PS Now or whatever subscription service they end up pushing.

2. Play At Home initiative isn't what I would do but whatever. Ratchet is a great game so anyone who hasn't played it should claim it and play it before Rift Apart in June.

3. God of War Ragnarok was never a 2021 game and I said that back in September. Showing only a logo yet the game is releasing in a year? Hahaha. Nope. Expecting Horizon 2 to get delayed to February 2022 regardless of how many times Ryan insists it's releasing this year. I am surprised that Gran Turismo 7 was delayed to 2022 as that was the game I always saw as their Fall 2021 exclusive.

Overall, 2021 is going to be weak and there's more delays incoming in general but 2022 WILL be stacked because of all the delays which is great because that's exactly what im hoping for.

Top Bottom