• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Sounds Like Logan May Be the Best Wolverine Movie Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Disco, you're part of the fam but remember how you jinxed it for this year?

Well I didn't see xmen being such a pile of crap after dofp to be fair. But yeah with this we at least got a trailer to indicate it's tone and direction they're promising lol

If I had seen apocalypse trailer I wouldn't be making that call. Logan trailer was piff.

CloudWolf

Well, it's not that hard to be the best Wolverine movie yet, both Origins and The Wolverine were pretty bad. But I'm still excited.

Glass Rebel

Well I didn't see xmen being such a pile of crap after dofp to be fair. But yeah with this we at least got a trailer to indicate it's tone and direction they're promising lol

If I had seen apocalypse trailer I wouldn't be making that call. Logan trailer was piff.

I'm just playing. Jackman and Stewart got my pretty hyped.

Births.Motvies.Death write-up on Logan first 40 min

This movie comes in hot. It opens big and fast and intense, but the tone isn't blustery in the least. Some titles Mangold threw around for reference during the Q&A included, obviously, Millar's Old Man Logan run, but also Unforgiven, The Wrestler and, even more surprising, Little Miss Sunshine. Or, as Mangold put it, "It's Paper Moon with claws." Though it's missing the jokiness, the hard R was made possible thanks to Deadpool. There's a scene that put me rather in mind of Mad Max: Fury Road. It feels a bit like all of those movies while still feeling very much like a Wolverine movie - just a grounded and grown-up version of a Wolverine movie. The violence is insane, the language is not pulling back. But it's not dour or gritty. It's just for adults

And good lord, once the action gets going, it's breathtaking. Even with unfinished FX (Mangold said "this movie is still wet"), the action was riveting and coherent. Laura, Logan's young companion played by Dafne Keen, is AMAZING.

A few other notes from Mangold's Q&A:

"The goal was to make a functioning drama first and then add the kickass action."

When asked about continuity to the X-Men franchise, Mangold assured us that there is a relationship between Logan and the rest of the films. As a director, Mangold respects the previous films and has no interest in undoing any of that (ed. note: rather tortuous) continuity, but he also wasn't interested in making Logan feel like a TV episode in a much larger series. This is its own film, its own story, but it's still a member of the family we know.

One of the ways the previous films are thematically referenced is that, here, Logan is "living with the weight of his own legend." We see a bit of that in this footage, of his past lives and past achievements haunting him as he's trying to go his own way.

Mangold didn't want to film very much of Logan with green screen, so it's mostly shot on location. That immediately resonates in what we saw. It's set in the future, but a "modest vision of the future," one that feels like our world, just slightly different.

And when asked if there's a chance some other X-Men could pop up in cameos to help Logan and Laura on their journey, Mangold smiled, "There's always a chance."

Volimar

My only problem with (Old Man) Logan is that it's an alternate reality and the future, meaning that X-23 isn't going to be the Wolverine replacement I want in the current continuity.

Description sounds really good.
Man the last one was pretty good until that last 20 minutes of whatever the fuck that was

Mangold's a talented guy, him and co-writer Scott Frank know genre stories, I'm sure its good as long as Silver Samurai robot doesn't show up
Yep.

I remember being pretty hyped when there were glimpses of the regular looking Silver Samurai in the trailers but then that just turned out to be some nightmare thing in the movie.

The-Wolverine-08.jpg

They messed up so bad

"Best Wolverine movie" is not a very high bar to clear.

That being said I'm trying to to be cynical, I really really want this to be good. Make this a First Class/DoFP type movie, not a Origins/X3 movie.

The Kree

Banned
This movie is going to be trash and people will make excuses for it because it'll be gory, tacitly admitting that Wolverine doesn't actually have anything to offer as a character other than ruthless violence.

Takuan

Cautiously optimistic.

And guys, not that it doesn't take a bunch of effort to get swole like that, but he's also taking a bunch of Mexican supplements to get those results. You're kidding yourselves if you think that shit's natty.

Dahbomb

First 40 minutes of the Japanese based Wolverine were amazing too, that last act was kinda bad.

Hell the first 40 minutes of Prometheus were good too lol.

EYEL1NER

If it is as great as people are saying, then that will be fantastic. I was hyped for it upon its announcement, despite it being a bit bittersweet knowing it would be the last one. Then the trailer or teaser dropped and I thought it looked horrible. I would like to watch a great Wolverine movie though. So far the best Wolverine moment on film came from his cameo in this year's horrible X-Men movie.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
"I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything..."

Super looking forward to Jackman and Stewart closing things out.

AudioEppa

Of course it will be.
It's inspired by The Last of Us.
😏

Can't wait for the movie, hyped as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom