• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Logan’ Director Says He’s Working On a Black and White Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully for the Director's Cut of this amazing movie.

When the first teaser images for Logan landed online last fall, there was something particularly intriguing about them — aside from the fact that this is Hugh Jackman’s final outing as Wolverine, of course. The photos were mostly in black and white, leading some to suspect that maybe the film itself was black and white. That suspicion was laid to rest with the arrival of the first teaser, but it might not have been entirely off.

A fan reached out to director James Mangold on Twitter today to plead for a black and white version of Logan. Here’s what Mangold had to say about that:

"So...@mang0ld, by all that is good in the world, please let there be a release of Logan that is black and white. I need that in my life."

"Workin' on it."

So it looks like we may get to see a black and white version of Logan eventually, not much different from George Miller’s Black & Chrome edition of Mad Max: Fury Road. Logan wasn’t shot in black and white, but those teaser photos (several of which were professionally taken by Mangold himself and looked quite striking) made a solid case for presenting the film that way.

And judging by early reviews (including a positive one from our own Matt Singer), Logan feels very much like a western in style, tone and story. That’s not surprising coming from Mangold, but it also supports the idea of a black and white version.

The movie doesn't really need a "director's cut." it's fine the way it is.

I'd be curious to see a black & white version though, considering the bleak western vibe of the thing, definitely.

Fisty

Yep falls right in line with that pretentious trailer

It's an R rated Wolverine movie, not some indie period piece

JimiNutz

Banned
Black and white with red blood please to highlight the visceral combat.
This is the first time seeing Wolverine on screen using his claws properly... I want blood! :)

Dopus

Banned

Yeah, I really wish it followed the formulaic comic book movies we always get. I definitely don't want a director to try and change the mould, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

giphy.gif

Like, why is black & white in and of itself a "pretentious" choice, though?

There's a lot of what appear to be fairly snobby assumptions as to what a superhero movie can and can't be, or what it doesn't deserve to be, wrapped up in that bullshit.

Still unsure how a Johnny Cash song over what is a fairly decent representation of the film's actual tone somehow makes a commercial for the movie "pretentious."

Did anyone else see the Creasey-Wolverine driving with little Grace next to him with her looking off into the distance while PUBLIC DOMAIN HYMNAL #34 played in the background

...no?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

It's weird that you'd say that with an MGS avatar, the series known for doing weird shit just for artistic reasons.

It's so weird that no one will just commit to making movies like this, the mist, the walking dead, or fury road in black and white in the first place. Black and white is awesome, and digital effects are easier to blend into a black and white image. It's cool that sometimes they get a second version out I guess, but you would fundamentally shoot the movie differently if it was planned to just be a black and white movie.

Fisty

Like, why is black & white in and of itself a "pretentious" choice, though?

There's a lot of what appear to be fairly snobby assumptions as to what a superhero movie can and can't be, or what it doesn't deserve to be, wrapped up in that bullshit.

Still unsure how a Johnny Cash song over what is a fairly decent representation of the film's actual tone somehow makes a commercial for the movie "pretentious."

...no?

Ok I mentally mashed up the "Way Down We Go" trailer with the Super Bowl trailer with "Amazing Grace" that was plastered all over YouTube ads. It's about as subtle as a freight train (or a DC movie)

It's so weird that no one will just commit to making movies like this, the mist, the walking dead, or fury road in black and white in the first place. Black and white is awesome, and digital effects are easier to blend into a black and white image. It's cool that sometimes they get a second version out I guess, but you would fundamentally shoot the movie differently if it was planned to just be a black and white movie.

Most people will automatically dismiss black and white films sadly, it's just not a reasonable business decision especially for a movie like Logan. Some films like The Artist, Shindler's List and Sin City (if that counts) did quite well but they are the exception, not the rule.

Fisty

Most people will automatically dismiss black and white films sadly, it's just not a reasonable business decision especially for a movie like Logan. Some films like The Artist, Shindler's List and Sin City (if that counts) did quite well but they are the exception, not the rule.

Most people dismiss them because making a black and white movie nowadays mostly means stripping the color in post. Theres no regard for shot composition or lighting that plays a huge part in making black and white films look good. The films you listed certainly are very much the exception

Most people dismiss them because making a black and white movie nowadays mostly means stripping the color in post. Theres no regard for shot composition or lighting that plays a huge part in making black and white films look good. The films you listed certainly are very much the exception

Do you seriously think mainstream audiences would show up in droves if the next Avengers film was shot in black and white from the get go by the best DP in existence?

Ok I mentally mashed up the "Way Down We Go" trailer with the Super Bowl trailer with "Amazing Grace" that was plastered all over YouTube ads.

Have you actually seen the movie to know whether or not the advertising was somehow trying to sell a film experience that wasn't there?

Because feigning knowledge you don't have as a means to make your complaints seem weightier than they are is, in fact...

Magwik

Banned
Did anyone else see the Creasey-Wolverine driving with little Grace next to him with her looking off into the distance while PUBLIC DOMAIN HYMNAL #34 played in the background
Mate how the hell does a Wolvernine movie tilt you this much

Fisty

Holy crap folks, i saw a heavy-handed superhero movie trailer and thought it was pretentious. I don't have any secret knowledge of the film. I assume this is was what it was like for people in Man of Steel pre-release threads

Ronin Ray

Yeah, I really wish it followed the formulaic comic book movies we always get. I definitely don't want a director to try and change the mould, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

I going to see this tomorrow but I am curious what this does that other comic book movies haven't? I am just curious what the mold is ?

That black and white trailer/teaser was great, it had a better visual identity than like every comic book movie made lol (aside from some of the Batman movies). I'm all for these movies adopting more art house techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom