• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Mangold Revealed the Ending of ‘Logan’ in ‘The Wolverine’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
But she didn't, because it goes from a literal description of a death to a metaphorical one. He's literally dying on his back, literally covered in blood, metaphorically holding his own heart in his hand.

Are you just being incredibly obtuse as a joke?

Jocund

He hasn't really said anything substantive on this suggestion, as far as I'm aware.

I'm just saying that I'm not convinced that the prophecy in The Wolverine was intended for anything other than the scene it foreshadows in that same movie.
No one here is arguing that the day Mangold wrote that scene he was thinking, "This is gonna be the ending to Logan!". When you watch the end of the film, and you think back to what Yukio told Logan in the Wolverine, the audience can, maybe, maaaaaybe see a connection, however faint, to Yukio's old prophesizing.

Mangold says it's intentional. Who are we to say that he didn't maybe look back on his work on The Wolverine and decide that mirroring Logan's demise with the heart shit would be a neat little move? As Bobby's said, creatives do it all the time.

Alienous

But you didn't think it was possible for people to improvise in creative work.

No, I was disagreeing with it being "equally good".

I think he's got me on ignore. We had a discussion about Spoilerphobia earlier in the week that I don't think he appreciated much.

I don't think we had much of a discussion. I do recall you promoting posts as good and I'd consider those, but I don't believe we had much of a back and forth.

Einchy

No, I was disagreeing with it being "equally good", or are you being intentionally obtuse as a joke?

Other people have explained to you how creatives can retroactively use past work to make it fit into future work. Multiple times.

So I really don't get why you keep harping on this idea that people think Mangold wrote the ending to Logan into The Wolverine when no one is saying that.

Alienous

Other people have explained to you how creatives can retroactively use past work to make it fit into future work. Multiple times.

So I really don't get why you keep harping on this idea that people think Mangold wrote the ending to Logan into The Wolverine when no one is saying that.

The article is. Did you read it?

Nobody HERE is.

Did you really not recognize that the people here, in the thread, were not parroting the article, but instead using it as basis for suggesting he repurposed Yukio's dialog for the ending of his new movie?

People in the thread have made it very clear that is what they're arguing.

Einchy

Are you talking to an article or the people in this thread? Because the people in this thread are expressing this idea of retroactivity in creative work, and how Mangold has done just this, and you refusing to accept it.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
If it were up to Alienous, we would never have had Creed.
Creed.

Alienous

Are you talking to an article or the people in this thread? Because the people in this thread are expressing this idea of retroactivity in creative work, and how Mangold has done just this, and you refusing to accept it.

The foreshadowing had its pay off already. At best Logan does a callback, but that requires a clumsy metaphorical interpretation.

My point wasn't that callbacks don't exist. My point was that The Wolverine probably had no intention of foreshadowing the death in Logan. Look at the thread title - this thread is about the ending of Logan being foreshadowed.

So perhaps you misunderstood me?

Also, the article itself closes with the suggestion Mangold repurposed an idea and transformed it for his new movie. It's the last thing you read in the piece.

So really, unless you're going to suggest you responded solely to the thread title and not all the other responses in the thread that clarified their point, the misunderstandings seem to belong mostly on your side of the discussion.

zeemumu

What's the difference?

yq86jWC.jpg

I...I never noticed that

Ashhong

What's the difference?

yq86jWC.jpg

Holy shit, I never knew about that LOL

Nobody HERE is.

Did you really not recognize that the people here, in the thread, were not parroting the article, but instead using it as basis for suggesting he repurposed Yukio's dialog for the ending of his new movie?

People in the thread have made it very clear that is what they're arguing.

I would like to chime in and say that I believe Mangold did indeed write the ending to Logan in The Wolverine :)

She states that her prediction is
seeing Logan on his back dying covered in blood with his hand in his heart. That doesn't come to fruition in The Wolverine but it does in Logan. So you can see her prediction as being true, just not when she thought it would happen.

I still don't think it was planned but it works and i'd rather pretend it was purposeful foreshadowing.

EDIT:
although apparently he does die in the Wolverine for a bit so whadda i know.

I'd say it's irrelevant if it's pre-planned or not.

Is Dumbledore
gay
?

Is Deckard a
replicant
?

Is Logan's
fate
determinate across timelines?

At the end of the day, it makes revisiting the material with new context a thought provoking and engaging experience.

Title of this thread is bullshit lol

He ain't plan it that way, but cool that he (allegedly) meant his death in Logan to play out as a callback to the previous film. I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom