• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Mangold in talks to direct Indy 5

ManaByte

Gold Member

After a long development process, Steven Spielberg is handing the directing reins on “Indiana Jones 5” to another filmmaker for the first time in the franchise’s 39-year history, Variety has learned.

Sources say, while a deal hasn’t closed, “Ford v Ferrari” director James Mangold is in talks to take the job. Mangold has been put in this situation before when he took over the “Wolverine” franchise; 2017’s “Logan” was a blockbuster, grossing $619 million globally, and earning Mangold an Oscar nomination for adapted screenplay.

Spielberg will remain as a hands-on producer on “Indy 5.” According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director’s chair was entirely Spielberg’s, in a desire to pass along Indy’s whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

Whitesnake

Banned
Every franchise MUST be milked and ground into nothingness. Media franchise are not allowed to end on a high note, they must have bullshit tacked onto them for money’s sake.

Indiana Jones could’ve ended at 3.
Star Wars could’ve ended at 3.
Jaws could’ve ended at 1.

For the love of god stop botching legacies to make a quick buck.

For the love of god stop botching legacies to make a quick buck.

giphy.gif

kunonabi

Mangold is great but I'm not sure I'm at all interested in an Indy film without Spielberg and Lucas. Kind of weird to not just do a reboot at this point.

Just do something new. Like the Mummy movies tried and partly succeeded.

I am tired of the golden movie series of my youth being dragged into the dirt by subpar cash grabs that don't understand what made the original movies great.
And most of the time it's impossible anyway.
Indiana Jones is suspposed to be Pulp. And that genre is super racist, macho, misogynist and whatever -ist you wanna apply, it's there.

Doesn't fly in todays culture.
I don't wanna see a gimped ancient Indiana Jones rolling around in his wheel chair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom